zyrilia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyrilia

Wrapped in bacon.

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says 'go away' in every language.

Cedarvillan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cedarvillan

It's best when I don't have to cook it.

davidroper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidroper
stnkyjoe wrote:Can you tell the pollsters don't cook? You don't bake a turkey, you roast it. I love turkey roasted, fried, smoked. Mostly I love it stuffed!

Roasted in a brown paper bag like all of us do.

Unclesally

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Unclesally

cooked in the microwave oven.

orchmaven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orchmaven

Brined and cooked on the grill!

connorbush

quality posts: 2 Private Messages connorbush

jamaican jerked

jshagam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jshagam

sous vide!

chad24depew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad24depew
Bgrant wrote:Cooked in a Dutch Oven. ツ

how long dose that take?

punkylunky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages punkylunky

There's only one reason a person would not vote for "deep fried", and that's because you have never had it. It doesn't taste like you'd think "deep fried" would taste. Oh, my........ so tender and juicy. And I realize "deep fried" = unhealthy, but we're talking about one day out of the year. Yum!

slavnar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slavnar

Smoked makes food taste like an ashtray.

I prefer it baked. You don't get the gravy frying or smoking it, and you can't stuff it either.

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
mrsly69 wrote:I have had turkey BAKED, SMOKED, AND DEEP FRIED. All three are good, but when you get a perfectly baked Turkey, it hands down beats any method. The problem, it that most people don't know how to bake a perfect turkey. It is an art. As with anything, you must use proper seasoning and it does vary. When you get the a perfectly baked turkey, it is like heaven. Deep fried is good, but it isn't nearly as good as baked. The key to bake a turkey, is a good brine, seasoning (varies, but I go crazy with garlic, rosemary, EVO, thyme, salt pepper, safron), and LOVE. It is work to make a perfect turkey, but if done right, it is the BEST. Deep fried is good and easy. That is why it is gaining popularity. It is the lazy man way to cook, but is consistent.

This. I have tried all of them. Deep frying guarantees the meat will be juicy, but you can't eat the skin (maybe some are brave enough). Like I said before, stuff it with rosemary and thyme (I cut it fresh from the yard). It's amazing. The brining is important too. I also make a special concoction as mentioned above with melted butter as my basting solution. Also, cover with foil until the very end to keep the moisture inside that bird. One year I did a bit of surgery beforehand, and everyone loved it. I gently separated the skin from the meat so that it was more like a shirt... I layered butter underneath it, pressed it all around, and then proceeded as usual. It made it extra juicy, but I can maintain the same with the brine with less calories.

marion14505

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marion14505

Who'd'a thunk that this would be akin to VMS versus Unix (anyone remember that flame war) or Mac versus PC (did that one die yet?) or Lindsay versus Paris?

Turkey, like all meat, is best when smoked over open fire using hardwood fuel. But if your local ordinances prohibit backyard open fires (ours don't, and come to think of it, they let us discharge firearms, too...) then an acceptable substitute is a large enough charcoal grill to smoke your turkey over hardwood chips.

If you're lacking a 55 gallon drum charcoal smoker, then your only option, really, is to come to our house...

wvufrosty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wvufrosty

On the grill. With bacon. Everything is better with bacon...

nmhaws

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmhaws

1- you bake a pie and roast meats.
2- I prefer to roast my turkey on a high heat, in brined the day before, in a basket weave of bacon to self-baste until crispy (& saved for topping the green bean casserole), with mire poix & pears, basted every 30 minutes. Remove the turkey and while resting on its platter, use a submersion mixer to blend the juices with a roux for the gravy. Nothing wasted, I use the left overs for turkey tetrazzini casserole, and then use the carcas to make homemade turkey stock.

rejiii

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rejiii

I voted for smoked since I've never had fried turkey. I intend to buy one before I invest in all the paraphernalia and risk life and limb.

GeorgeNathaniael

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GeorgeNathaniael

Brined overnight in salty apple juice, slathered in butter, stuffed with fruit and herbs, and drown in champagne then cooked in a baking bag until it falls apart. So good!

"In Vicodin, Veritas"

limarick

quality posts: 5 Private Messages limarick

Fried is #1 by far.
Smoked is a very close second.
Turkey-in-a-T-shirt comes third. Take a clean cotton t-shirt (wash even if using a new shirt) and cover the turkey with it before roasting. Soak the shirt well with liquid of choice and roast as usual. Baste with pan juices regularly to keep shirt moist. When done peel away shirt to reveal a beautiful golden skin.

As far as fried turkey being unhealthy, don't believe it. If you don't put the bird into the oil to early (before it's hot enough) very little grease is absorbed. This will be evident by the oil level after cooking and the taste of the meat. Just be VERY careful when putting turkey into the fryer. Splash-over will result in a fire or injury or both.

furiousturtle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages furiousturtle

It has to be sous vide, then a quick 2 minute deep fry.

sigmund69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigmund69

I used to deep-fry turkeys...until I found the Infra-red cooker. It's fired by propane. BEST turkey. Even better than deep fried. Whole lot easier, not to mention cheaper, than dealing with all that used oil. This year we bake one and infra-red cook one. You gotta bake one if you want home-made gravy.

erastimus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erastimus

Double wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil, then gently placed on the intake manifold of the car. After the 6 hour ride to gramma's house, she's fully cooked and real juicy.

corinth1213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corinth1213

Turkey tastes best when someone else cooks it.

campinman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages campinman

OK, I know this sounds weird... but trust me it's awesome!
Smear mayonnaise all over the turkey (we use sage-basil flavor blend) before you put it in the turkey bag.
Cook as you normally would.

The mayo forms a hard shell around the bird that locks in the juice like you wouldn't believe. The meat falls right off.

Enjoy!!

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Just the stuffing..

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

How many of you who voted actually have had a deep-fried turkey, I wonder. My guess of 90% the voters mental processing: "W00t! deap-fry is teh win! I love the internets and I am a ninja. lol, bacon, lol!"

robgnts5611

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robgnts5611

Wrapped in bacon & then baked. My wife does this every year, we have people that have said they "do not like turkey." They eat it this way with us every year. BACON.....soooo good !
Makes everything better.

cgdo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgdo

grilled and injected with butter!! Double yum!

faejen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages faejen

Best when blanketed in bacon and then baked in the oven. Self basting pork-fat and tryptophan goodness.

friartek

quality posts: 15 Private Messages friartek

Is turducken wrapped in bacon and roasted asking to much?

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
BOC: 4 Including the very last Woot!-off B)C. One of the lucky few.

Josepdin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Josepdin

It's actually roasted, not baked. Baking is when you catalyze a chemical reaction by applying heat to transform mixtures of various levels of liquidity to homogeneous solids - like in cakes, muffins, etc.

macgoog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macgoog

Brine Bake and Sandwich.

bratsk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bratsk

I like it best roasted. Hubby likes it in the smoker. This year, roasted it is.

marydreyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marydreyer

Love the word spatchcock, so will see if it's edible.

dalearnould

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalearnould

Turkey tastes best when: it's a Ham. Turkey sucks, it's all about the Ham! Who doesn't like leftover ham sandwiches for days? Yessssssssss.

dalearnould

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalearnould
bratsk wrote:I like it best roasted. Hubby likes it in the smoker. This year, roasted it is.

Well done, haha.

bwurtsb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bwurtsb

To the people who are saying "The people who are saying baked have never tried ______" you need to be respectful of opinions.

Fried turkey is great, so is smoked, but still to this day my favorite turkey has been a brined and roasted turkey. Let's be honest, turkey is going to be pretty good no matter how you prepare it.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

It's good; but am I the only one who feels like something in preparing tur-duc-hen is borderline serial-killer?

cfilar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfilar

Tastes best stuffed and roasted

a04971xx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a04971xx

it has a crispy skin and some cranberry sauce

a04971xx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a04971xx
vladistov wrote:It's good; but am I the only one who feels like something in preparing tur-duc-hen is borderline serial-killer?

I prefer what Howard has on The Big Bang Theory: Tur-bris-cafil

rh48

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rh48

A few years I owned both a deep frier and a gas fired smoker (with water pan) so I had a turkey cook off - two deep fried vs two smoked. Took the results to a local tavern and after the votes were tallied I sold the deep frier. It wasn't a landslide, but enough of a margin to convince me that smoked is the best.