WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

An HDTV Bacchanalia

Sing to me, HD muses, of Adam and his epic football party. How doughty Adam separated the clam dip into two bowls for convenience, as a ship shoulders a mighty wave and splits it with her bow. How, finding his men parched and angry, he ventured to distant bodegas and found there golden ambrosia. Sing to me!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

What will you be watching on your new TV?

I'm just hanging out, really.

weatherkit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages weatherkit

Okay, someone give me the nitty gritty please. Diff between LCD and LED and what does the 1080p mean etc.

I've always gone Samsung for our TVs (once told they were best) but I haven't shopped in 6+ years. So I'm anxious to snap one of these up...

Oh and HDMI vs. HDTV?

Keep it simple please.

maccally

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maccally
weatherkit wrote:Okay, someone give me the nitty gritty please. Diff between LCD and LED and what does the 1080p mean etc.

I've always gone Samsung for our TVs (once told they were best) but I haven't shopped in 6+ years. So I'm anxious to snap one of these up...

Oh and HDMI vs. HDTV?

Keep it simple please.

The difference between LCD and LED is simply the bulbs lighting the screen. They both use LCD (liquid crystal display) panels, but one is lit by LEDs (light-emitting diodes). They tend to be brighter and have better colors than non-LED lit panels.

1080p is the standard for "full" HD. It's a screen resolution, it means that there are 1080 lines going vertically. Essentially, it looks great.

Both Samsung and LG are great, but I honestly prefer LG. You can't go wrong with either, though.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions!

realtimshady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages realtimshady
weatherkit wrote:Okay, someone give me the nitty gritty please. Diff between LCD and LED and what does the 1080p mean etc.

Oh and HDMI vs. HDTV?

Keep it simple please.

HDMI is how an HD signal is transmitted between devices. So, you'll connect your cable box/bluray/PS3 etc. to your HDTV using HDMI cables. The number of inputs on the TV is important to know if you have many devices to connect.

Mrpease

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mrpease

I bought a tv from the last sale about 2 weeks ago. It was shipped the wrong power cord. I have been fighting with them to get the right cord. They have closed or "lost" my first to tickets. Now I am waiting on the "vendor" to ship out a power cord but they said that on my first ticket. The best was when they sent me a link to LG site saying I should try and order on from then. They didn't even offer a credit. SO beware if you buy a tv and there is a problem be prepared to be on your own with problems. I might shipping the tv back at this point.

seattlekleins

quality posts: 8 Private Messages seattlekleins

"Sing to me, HD muses, of Adam and his epic football party. How doughty Adam separated the clam dip into two bowls for convenience, as a ship shoulders a mighty wave and splits it with her bow. How, finding his men parched and angry, he ventured to distant bodegas and found there golden ambrosia. Sing to me!"

This makes my Classics major heart go pitter-pat. Writer, I love you.

stevedewberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevedewberry

I do not have an ethernet cable going to where TV is to go. Do the Samsung 46" TV's come with a USB dongle, or are they wi-fi ready?

KwisatzHaderach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KwisatzHaderach
seattlekleins wrote:"Sing to me, HD muses, of Adam and his epic football party. How doughty Adam separated the clam dip into two bowls for convenience, as a ship shoulders a mighty wave and splits it with her bow. How, finding his men parched and angry, he ventured to distant bodegas and found there golden ambrosia. Sing to me!"

Hear, hear. Best item description ever?

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

That Samsung looks a lot like the 39" TCL I got off Amazon, but without the two year warranty.

goodguy5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goodguy5

I was literally looking at this TV last night before I went to bed, and poof. Here it is this morning. Coincidence, or fate?

However, one of my concerns regards one of the comments on Amazon. I have an RCA sound system (and would of course like to be able to use it). Anyone know if this has any audio out?

west3man

quality posts: 6 Private Messages west3man

I picked up that 47 inch Vizio (new) last night and it is AWESOME. I didn't think 3D at home could be so good. In-retrospect, I haven't looked at 3D displays (with the nice, completely HYGENIC glasses set-up) in quite some time so I don't know why I felt so confident. Probably my obsession with all things Vizio.

Anyway, I got it set up and am blown the hell away by the picture quality, 3D depth, and the convenient keyboard on the back of the remote.

That does it. I'm asking Vizio to marry me.

EDIT: I should've mentioned that Sam's Club seems to have sold me, either a refurbished or a previously-purchased unit without identifying it as such. I'm going to inquire about that VERY soon.

phishneslo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages phishneslo
seattlekleins wrote:"Sing to me, HD muses, of Adam and his epic football party. How doughty Adam separated the clam dip into two bowls for convenience, as a ship shoulders a mighty wave and splits it with her bow. How, finding his men parched and angry, he ventured to distant bodegas and found there golden ambrosia. Sing to me!"

josh?