5%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
NeatDesk Desktop Scanner
$249.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

mnbigguy

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mnbigguy

Hate to start the night with negativity, but the Fujitsu SnapScan 1500 is the sweet spot for personal scanners.

Not a fan of the NeatDesk Scanner.

Sorry Woot. No quality post for me!

mrericreed

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrericreed

I bought one a couple times back. Pretty cool...it scans fast and then does some processing in the background, which takes a long time...but you can unplug the scanner during this process. For the NCR forms that I use at work, I find that I have to feed one at a time manually...but for ordinary paper you can put a small stack in and let it go.

aojle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aojle

Wow, $255 for a used scanner, and it doesn't even support Linux? Will I find a pot of gold in the box?

bpr2

quality posts: 175 Private Messages bpr2

SWEET! A mac option! Now we're talkin'!

that was fun while it lasted!

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Is this the first time that woot has offered the Mac version of the NeatDesk software?

Three stars on amazon, with very mixed reviews.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

chrismcdougall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrismcdougall

I bought this about 6 months ago. It works ok. My old Lenovo x61 task a long time to process the scans, but that could be an issue with my old computer. I will say that getting it to do double sided .pdf's is great...in theory, but if you have a blank page with a pattern to the background, it has issues. I followed the directions and turned on the blank page eliminator. That didn't fix the problem, but what did fix the problem, was stamping some text on those blank back pages. This worked well when I was scanning in a full years worth of bank statements from Bank of America. there would always be at least a couple of pages that didn't have text on the back.

popmaster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages popmaster

so my parents have boxes and boxes of files, would this be a good Christmas present for them to get their house back in order, and saved from the paper monster?

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

NeatDesk ADF Scanner and Digital Filing System *REFURBISHED* - Today on Woot = $249.99 + $5 Shipping

Amazon-Refurb = $314.00 + $8.99 shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001CQ8ER2/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

ecrater-Refurb = $309.99 + free shipping
http://www.ecrater.com/p/12735894/neatdesk-desktop-scanner-and-digital-filing?gps=1

ebay-Refurb = $349.99 + free shipping
http://compare.ebay.com/like/280878268146?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Comparing 'apples to apples' or 'refurbished to refurbished' Woot wins price war by $55 over next lowest found competitor.

imtigger2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages imtigger2

Ok... so if you get this scanner, you don't get that "I go against the grain because I use Linux from a USB key and use only a VPN to connect to my office... get all my software open-source.. and I support the EFF" feeling when you use this. I mean there's an infomercial on every night pushing these things with Mom using it to scan the kids crayon drawings, receipts and apple pie recipes on her kitchen counter... and it just can't hit those dpi's and lpi's you "think" you need to scan your 80's collection of Kodak 110 instamatic 3x5's. So it's just not "cool", right?

Well.. screw all of that, these things ROCK if you need to scan and file PAPERWORK. I'm talking office paperwork. Reports, quotes, invoices, sales receipts, faxes, bills... you name it. I have one on every desk at my company and it saves us SO much time and money.

I mfg plastic sign holders, like you see on the metal shelves at Costco with the magnet on the back? Mine... and a perfect example would be our paperwork with See's Candies, another customer. When we get an order from them, we get FAXED 7 pages of fine print and instructions which we sign and scan and email back, then they snail-mail different copies of these as well (I know.. believe me.. I've asked them not to, but they pay the bills, it's fine). Then we have to ship a pre-production sample of changes which all have notes, and more changes... and it's a mess. I seriously have 3 solid file drawers filled with their orders from just a few years.

Now? Fax comes in, sign.. scan, "shred" (we actually cut all papers into scratch paper pads). Mail comes in... scan and recycle. Production notes? Scan and file. It's very fast, very easy.

To make your life easier with this, toss their filing software out. Seriously. Use just the small tray app so you can drop pages into this, press the "PDF" button on the scanner, a dialog box pops up immediately on the PC, type a file name, press "save" and DONE. THAT SIMPLE. If you use a descriptive file name then this scanner and Google Desktop search, it's pure bliss.

They now call me and while on the phone.. "hey do you have the papers with the production notes on the part you did in June 2011, that counter easel 5x7?" I double-tap my CTRL key, Google lists all docs with my inquiry of "see's 5x7 june easel", I click the doc and within 20 seconds... I have that "pile" of paperwork in one merged PDF. I right click and send to my customer. DONE.

It's changed our office like our mobile phones have change how we organize and communicate. It's perfect. ... and that's my real-world, working office experience. You want to scan photos and artwork or 100 PPM? Find another scanner. Want an office scanner that just works, get this.

voltylicious

quality posts: 5 Private Messages voltylicious

Whether you already have the scanner but on older version, or whether you want PC and Mac support: The manufacturer provides the downloads and even product keys free of charge at http://www.neat.com/support/neatproductkey and in their download section.

The whole idea that the Neat software needs a product key is kinda moot given that it only really works with a Neat scanner.

imtigger2

imtigger2 wrote:Ok... so if you get this scanner, you don't get that "I go against the grain because I use Linux from a USB key and use only a VPN to connect to my office... get all my software open-source.. and I support the EFF" feeling when you use this. I mean there's an infomercial on every night pushing these things with Mom using it to scan the kids crayon drawings, receipts and apple pie recipes on her kitchen counter... and it just can't hit those dpi's and lpi's you "think" you need to scan your 80's collection of Kodak 110 instamatic 3x5's. So it's just not "cool", right?

---- snip ---
damn I can type a lot ;-) Ha...
-
By the way, I DO have two Fuji scanners at $600 a pop, and I "did" have an HP scanner as well... this seemingly no-comparison NeatDesk product just does the job SO much easier, without complicated settings or sensitive parts. It's a scanning "tank" that can take daily office abuse and the price is perfect. Get it. Then print my last message, scan it and save it under "long-ass posts". :-)

jazzmotazzmo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jazzmotazzmo

Hi! I love you guys! I hope for no interminable shipping delays... and...

“Jazz is the big brother of the blues. If a guy's playing blues like we play, he's in high school. When he starts playing jazz it's like going on to college, to a school of higher learning.” --B.B. King

jazzmotazzmo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jazzmotazzmo
jazzmotazzmo wrote:Hi! I love you guys! I hope for no interminable shipping delays... and...

um... sorry, uh, let's see... where was I now?... oh, yeah... what does this thing do again? It duplicates, or does it replicate? You know what would be cool is if it replicated duplicates and then shredded the originals right at the end so it could all go in the compost bin... Green World, eh?

“Jazz is the big brother of the blues. If a guy's playing blues like we play, he's in high school. When he starts playing jazz it's like going on to college, to a school of higher learning.” --B.B. King

barryjparker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barryjparker

I bought one of these and was very disappointed. You can add comments to your receipts but then you can't come back later and search on the comments.

vsatsang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vsatsang

I was also disappointed.
- Using the PDF option causes my computer to just shut down completely (power off). I went that route for portability/sharing with people that didn't have the software, or if the company goes bust and I lose the software, etc. etc.
- Okay, no problem I said, let's try their filing system, and I'll print to PDF if I need to share.
But:
- Filename or other fields aren't autofilled.
- Can't search on the comments like another poster mentioned.
- I had too much legacy paperwork, and their scan-to-cloud rates are too high for "home" purposes.

Some good things, though:
- Feeder sizes do make paper handling easier.
- semi-vertical orientation makes things easier than a flat-bed.

BKANE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BKANE

Just went on sale today at OfficeDepot.com, new for $349.99

Good for those of us with club card dollars from recycling ink cartridges. Otherwise, I'd go for the Woot deal now.

florabama

quality posts: 1 Private Messages florabama

Bought one of these a year or so ago and extremely disappointed with both the scanner and software. Had I not gotten busy I would have sent it back. It absolutely doesn't work as advertised. Probably one out of ten receipts scanned properly. The other nine required going into the software and correcting which made scanning a worthless exercise. You save a lot of time just setting up an excel spreadsheet and inputting your receipts manually because you're going to have to do that anyway and excel is much easier to use than the Neat software. This thing is worthless in my opinion.

utekineir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages utekineir

Been using neat system for tracking the receipts, utilities, documents, etc, of an apartment business for several years. Inputting several thousand items every year.

The small bar scanner is very slow. Switched to the neat desk last year, scanning time has been cut to a fraction.

tlapin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tlapin

Although the NeatDesk software is great when it works and I like the portable version of the scanner, I had major issues with their MANY "upgrades" after Version 4. Version 5 was a disaster for Neat (just check their support forum) and I spent hours on the phone trying to get my database working. They blamed the problem on Microsoft (supposedly a .NET framework issue) so I had to install on another PC altogether. Plus the image database was corrupted. Maybe they've worked out these issues but I would beware.

imtigger2

Straight up people, don't deny yourself a great SCANNER because of the negative comments regarding particular individual software problems.

Each of the complaints I see here references a need that user has that the software couldn't fill. Sounds like a developer wish list is what's needed. So it is a double-sided scanner, it will scan a page that has a pattern on it. That's not what it would consider a "blank page". As well, if the OCR has trouble with your writing.... Maybe it's the writing, or the software? As for the issue of "won't search comments" ... Again, software issue.

The hardware is what's for sale here (yes, with their crap software included), and it's a fast... Excellent scanner.

All I can say is forget their software. It's a TWAIN scanner and you can use ANY software you want. I highly recommend you scan to PDF only. Into any folder you choose. Then, use Google Desktop Search or MS Search (excellent as well) and both of these search products are free and will search within your scanned PDF docs if set up properly.

Is this a good scanner? Yes. Its fast. Its simple to use. It scans two sides at once with excellent clarity. The feeder can handle all sorts of strange size documents.. and all at once at that. It's compact enough for every desk you sit at. It's so easy my Dad can use it (yes, one of those Dads... He still thinks his Apple AirPort is something the FAA needs to approve... and that's why I got him a Mac not a PC ... (offense meant ;-) )

Does the included software have issues that may not work perfectly for some users? Yes
Is that not true of all software? Usually.

Just my 2¢ ... Well actually, about a buck and a half by now.

colbytitus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages colbytitus

Hmmm I don't get why this thing is 5x more than your average scanner.
I have an all-in-one machine with wifi that I paid $80 for.
Maybe you pay for the software? Still, I can drag n drop my scanned files into whatever folder I want in a second and mine came with OCR software so I can edit or notate.

Michaelb3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Michaelb3

I bought this during a woot a few months ago for the same price I believe. It's sitting on my desk now and I use it regularly. Mechanically, it's been flawless. It handles all sorts of sizes of paper and cards with not a single problem as yet. It does a good job at optical character recognition. I'd say nailing it about 85% of the time. It will automatically fill in a database with the vendor, price, tax, and guess a classification.

I also use it as a normal scanner for which it works fine scanning documents to PDF.

Overall I'm pleased with the purchase and would buy again.

flector

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flector

I've got a Fujitsu S1300 scanner, which is the little brother of the S1500. The thing works like a dream.

4mysuccess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4mysuccess

Is this a good scanner? Yes. Its fast. Its simple to use. It scans two sides at once with excellent clarity. The feeder can handle all sorts of strange size documents.. and all at once at that. It's compact enough for every desk you sit at.

Thanks for all your insight and information.... will this feeder allow staples to be scanned?
or do the staples have to be removed first? credit card receipts are stapled to 8.5 x 11" receipts

I want to use this to scan files of double sided hand written chart notes to pdf. I'd like to scan in color as well... since many of the notes are in colored ink. I'm not concerned about searching the information... just need to be able to name the file to match the hand written file

each file is 25 to 50 pages so don't want to hand feed each sheet. there is a double punch in each paper (that is how I keep them in the file folder)

thanks

aaroncorsi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaroncorsi

Does this bad boy scan directly to Evernote? That's the only software feature I need in a scanner.

Innomed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Innomed

Sorry, not a fan of Neat. Bought an earlier unit and was never able to get it to work. Tried to contact the compnay and they didn't care. Good luck getting support.

CelestiteV

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CelestiteV

I've been using mine for 3/years, going on 4. BEST THING I EVER DID WAS GOING PAPERLESS. I had a problem with my first scanner, and Neat promptly replaced it. (5 Stars for customer service!)
Once you scan your receipt or document in, it's easy to export to iBank (or Quicken). Easy, easy, EASY!!!
Make your life easier: filing, taxes, locating old receipts, looking at your history of spending, etc.
(I'm almost tempted to buy this just to have as a back up... let me think about it!

CelestiteV

popmaster wrote:so my parents have boxes and boxes of files, would this be a good Christmas present for them to get their house back in order, and saved from the paper monster?

I would say yes, but it is time consuming to do all that work.

Don't buy it for them if they aren't into computers already, because you have to be able to understand how to use it to your best benefits.

I use this for my small business... best thing I ever did. (Going on my 4th year of paperless.)

CelestiteV

barryjparker wrote:I bought one of these and was very disappointed. You can add comments to your receipts but then you can't come back later and search on the comments.

I've been using the Mac version going on 4/years... you can search the notes with no problems. Sorry you are having a problem.

danrulz98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danrulz98

Yeah, helped people set up these things before. The software is a pain in the butt, they make you register for an account with them and ask for an uncomfortable amount of information in the process, just to install the drivers for the thing.
Then after the fact, well, you see other people's comments on the software.
The software really kills what could be an awesome scanner.

Fujitsu ScanSnap all the way.

ronmarlowe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ronmarlowe

I have to agree that the Fujitsu ScanSnap s1500 gives way more bang for the buck that the NeatDesk. For just over $400 new, it also includes a copy of Acrobat X Standard. My biggest problem with the NeatDesk scanner is that the software, top to bottom, is all proprietary. I really WANTED to like this scanner. I really DO like the ScanSnap S1500.

mnbigguy wrote:Hate to start the night with negativity, but the Fujitsu SnapScan 1500 is the sweet spot for personal scanners.

Not a fan of the NeatDesk Scanner.

Sorry Woot. No quality post for me!

molex

quality posts: 7 Private Messages molex

This thing would be useful if you deal with a lot of receipts. But I bought one a couple years ago and for the normal amount of receipts that a family generates it's not worth the money. It's much faster and easier to just keep the receipts in an accordion folder.

pciupeiu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pciupeiu

What's up BROTHER?

jnolan202

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnolan202

I bought one last time, it came and looked great, didn't work. After about 3 hours on tech line a 2nd neat scanner was sent out. A very worn well used used scanner was sent to replace the one I bought, It did not work, another 2 hours with tech line. I think it would be quicker to hand write everything and store it in a file cabinet. If you bought one, good luck. The 2 refurbished units I got never got refurbished.

zone22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zone22

I recommend the product as her is no other alternativ. The hardware is great. I have not experienced feeding issues or a any other for the past three years. The software on the other hand, is atrocious. It's prone to corrupt its database and there used to be a database size limit. It's happened to me four times in the past year and a half.

#!Backup your database on a regular preferably daily basis!# Especially if you use this for a business or mission-critical documents.