WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Least favorite Holiday:
  • 4.1% - Thanksgiving – ugh! My family! 357
  • 12.3% - Halloween – I’m not much for dressing up. 1059
  • 64.7% - Christmas – too commercial these days. 5570
  • 14% - New Years – I stay up until midnight most days… not a big deal anymore. 1209
  • 4.8% - Another one I’ll whine about in the comments. 410
8605 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Quality Posts

Cironnu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cironnu

Valentines Day. Utterly made up by marketing executives. No real meaning to it, whatsoever. "We don't have a holiday to make people spend their money for a couple of months here, so we'll stick this BS holiday in there!"

KingLouie951

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KingLouie951

Arbor Day! Bah, who needs it!

spitfire6006006

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spitfire6006006
Cironnu wrote:Valentines Day. Utterly made up by marketing executives. No real meaning to it, whatsoever. "We don't have a holiday to make people spend their money for a couple of months here, so we'll stick this BS holiday in there!"

+1

widmer69

quality posts: 14 Private Messages widmer69

New Years Eve has become amateur hour. Too many wishbones out there.

hooray beer!

momemom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages momemom
KingLouie951 wrote:Arbor Day! Bah, who needs it!

This guy right here.

yankeea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yankeea

Another vote for Valentine's Day. And on the same note, Sweetest's day. Why do we need two? We're already wasting enough money on V-day.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Surprised to see Christmas with so many votes. How many of you actually back it up by not buying gifts and gift cards? Probably close to 1%, which means the rest of you are hypocrites.

jnelson203

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jnelson203

Labor day, end of summer and it's going to get dark sooner and cold.

nancypults

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nancypults
curtisuxor wrote:Surprised to see Christmas with so many votes. How many of you actually back it up by not buying gifts and gift cards? Probably close to 1%, which means the rest of you are hypocrites.

I don't think the opposite of "too commercial" is "no gifts at all". Personally I am complaining about Christmas marketing campaigns, music, and TREES all appearing in OCTOBER. The focus is all on "buy buy buy" not the birth of Christ, or the family time. As a female I feel a certain pressure from expectations. Certain foods to be made, decorations to be put up, cards to be sent-all expected by my family. Only in the last couple of years have I pushed back (kids are now 17 and 20) and said "help me or forget about it". I still dream of lying on a beach some Christmas after going to church and skipping every "traditional" aspect of the season.

doughjoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doughjoy

Any "holiday" that doesn't allow a day off work.

So agreed with Cironnu!

=)

sooperrach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sooperrach
curtisuxor wrote:Surprised to see Christmas with so many votes. How many of you actually back it up by not buying gifts and gift cards? Probably close to 1%, which means the rest of you are hypocrites.

I have kids, so I can't totally ignore it, but I don't overspend. I limit the total gift dollar amount and try to get them to do some kind of charity work.

utsumbca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages utsumbca

This poll seriously needed an "all of the above" choice.

vrubinst

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vrubinst

every. single. one. bah, humbug.

linkdude64

quality posts: 7 Private Messages linkdude64

Valentine's Day and New Years. Why? Because there is no delicious food! At least with Christmas we get egg nog...

fayerae

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fayerae

Columbus day. The dude didn't even discover America and all the Feds get a day off.

pigtool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pigtool

Sweetest Day? What is "Sweetest Day" other than a biannual scam attempt to make the guys pay up? How about a Steak and leave me the hell alone, woman, Day?

tooter1952

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tooter1952

4th of July because I hate loud noises, loud vehicles, loud music, & loud people.

zikzak

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zikzak
vrubinst wrote:every. single. one. bah, humbug.

+1 Would have chosen All Of The Above. I vastly prefer a family-optional warm lazy spring or summer day to any of your cold-weather Earth "holidays."

The7Footer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages The7Footer
Cironnu wrote:Valentines Day. Utterly made up by marketing executives. No real meaning to it, whatsoever. "We don't have a holiday to make people spend their money for a couple of months here, so we'll stick this BS holiday in there!"

Agreed. And you don't even get a day off for it. Worst... holiday... EVER.

dfunk29

quality posts: 46 Private Messages dfunk29

Easter, I'm not that religious and I can't stand ham & scalloped potatoes - yep, I said it.

Overdone. I now associate the resurrection with ham and scalloped potatoes.

onestinkyfish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages onestinkyfish

Agreed

elvenraistlin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elvenraistlin

Valentine's day sucks, I hate the fact that Thanksgiving is completely overshadowed by Christmas (even though Thanksgiving is a hypocritical holiday to begin with), and I don't celebrate many holidays. The exceptions being the major holidays. My favorite holiday you never asked? April Fool's day. I can pull pranks all day long and get away with every single one of them.

MissBehaving

quality posts: 12 Private Messages MissBehaving
fayerae wrote:Columbus day. The dude didn't even discover America and all the Feds get a day off.

You said it!

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
linkdude64 wrote:Valentine's Day and New Years. Why? Because there is no delicious food! At least with Christmas we get egg nog...

You sir have apparently been spending those holidays with the wrong people. All holidays are a perfect reason to have good food... Well unless it's one of those fasting ones, and you actually fast.

And in regards to Arbor Day... Unless you can survive sans oxygen, you need it.

I think it's missing the option "None, I LOVE every single one of 'em!". I would however change the date of Juneteenth and Father's Day. They are both usually close to the same weekend, Juneteenth is the day after my sons birthday, and it makes it heck trying to find a place to have a party, and to actually get people to come. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for celebrating the end of slavery with all the dad's of our country, just maybe a little earlier.

Unclemongo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Unclemongo

St. Swithin's Day annoys the living crap out of me. All those Swithers doing their Swithing and making a huge racket ... or whatever.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

I like Christmas. It's a bunch of different ideals and concepts clashing together to a soundtrack that's always the same, but the core of goodwill and family remains.

I voted for Thanksgiving, which I CHOOSE to work every year because my in-laws make such terrible food that I don't want to be anywhere near it.

tiarra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiarra

I voted for Christmas, but not because of it being "too commercial." Rather, I voted for it because I'm tired of all of the "lonely Jew at Christmas" references I get from my friends, who still think that's funny for some reason.

n8frey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n8frey

9/11

swirthwein

quality posts: 1 Private Messages swirthwein

All of them? Christmas and Valentine's Day most of all. I hate being expected to buy gifts for cousins I only see once a year. I have no idea what they're into. I just end up making some cookies.

Valentine's Day is awful if you work in the service industry. I used to wait tables and other than Mother's Day, it's the only day of pure hell you will experience.

maeganc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maeganc

Valentines day is my least favorite holiday. It is a Hallmark holiday and its a waste of money and time. I feel that its not a holiday and should not be considered one.

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

I don't buy things. I make them cards. I don't ask for gifts but most of the time I get them anyway. -_-

lferron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lferron

I would say that Valentine's Day is worthless -- a stress-filled 'holiday' for men and women alike.

Who can hate Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years? All result in shorter work weeks

mlegrimm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlegrimm

Sweetest day and Valentines Day.

spandox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spandox

Arbor day

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
wingedsurfgirl wrote:You sir have apparently been spending those holidays with the wrong people. All holidays are a perfect reason to have good food... Well unless it's one of those fasting ones, and you actually fast.

I think it's missing the option "None, I LOVE every single one of 'em!".

Yup! I'm not a huge Valentine's Day fan, but I love helping my kids make valentines for their class, and I'm a fan of people giving me chocolate.

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving so much, and love baking and cooking for it. Besides, it's got great food, fun family, a holiday without gifts... what more could you want?

AWildWeed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AWildWeed
Unclemongo wrote:St. Swithin's Day annoys the living crap out of me. All those Swithers doing their Swithing and making a huge racket ... or whatever.

So sorry, I can't agree. I adore St. Swithin's Day! What's wrong with all those people Swithining? They have a right, don't they? :-) I think I love St. Swithin's Day because I'm one of the few people I know who has ever heard of it!

AWildWeed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AWildWeed

Flitch Day used to be my least favorite, but now that I have a son-in-law whose birthday falls then, it can hardly be my least favorite anymore, then, can it?

Oh, I'll be honest - I just love holidays - altho I don't love the commercialization of any of them.

Just say "no" to all the demands, and do what makes you feel happy on any given holiday (or just 'day', for that matter).

I just hope I'm not in the minority, tho, because any event that lets me get together with family is a good one!

lizardman175

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lizardman175

how about "Christmas - ugh! my family"

janse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages janse

Until they rename Easter to it's appropriate title of "Zombie Jesus Day", I refuse to celebrate it.