0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Canon Rebel T4i 18MP Digital SLR Camera
$719.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

kinghill5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kinghill5

Hoping there is just one of these...

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy

bringing out the big ticket items...woooo...ttt...

i'm going to wait for black Friday deals for such things.

eraten

quality posts: 9 Private Messages eraten

$799 @ Amazon for the body only. This lens is pretty crappy but it's decent for a starter. Considering it.

Shaggnasty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shaggnasty

I believe the $799 Amazon deal includes the same kit lens. So I guess this is a good, not great, deal.

atomicwaste

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atomicwaste

7 woots and only down to 97%?

Grab the popcorn, this is gonna be a long one.

bjfranck

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bjfranck

So has Woot officially announced the end of the Big ol' Cornucopia Seems like the proper thing to do.

MDLaMure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MDLaMure

It's not even Thanksgiving yet and you're having a day dedicated to "Woot-off the Wed nosed Weindeer"? How commercial, how sad...

zarchitect

quality posts: 4 Private Messages zarchitect

Great camera - so so deal. Just saw one with a printer, etc. for under 700 after a $400 rebate - it keeps coming up so that's the going rate. Anyway, you want to 18-135mm STM lens kit to take advantage of the video and the expensive lens if you were to purchase separately. 18-55 is ok but limited in flexibility. I was also a skeptic on the STM but with the camera's ability for video, YOU REALLY NEED STM!!! HUGE difference in getting things into focus fast!

drummer0316

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drummer0316

$75 cheaper than Amazon - darn it Woot, I wasn't ready to buy this yet but you forced my hand...

ucdcheeng

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ucdcheeng

Is there any real advantage getting the T4i over the T3i? I can only find better FPS and the movie autofocus. Not really finding anything catching in terms of photo taking.

zarchitect wrote:Great camera - so so deal. Just saw one with a printer, etc. for under 700 after a $400 rebate - it keeps coming up so that's the going rate. Anyway, you want to 18-135mm STM lens kit to take advantage of the video and the expensive lens if you were to purchase separately. 18-55 is ok but limited in flexibility. I was also a skeptic on the STM but with the camera's ability for video, YOU REALLY NEED STM!!! HUGE difference in getting things into focus fast!

pigtool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pigtool

Clock killer item...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Shaggnasty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shaggnasty

Drummer, what Zarch said...everything I've read says you want the 18-135 lens. If you buy it as a kit, you basically get the lens for half price.

mal1110

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mal1110

if this woot off lasts for days i am:

1) totally screwed for finals
2) going to get no sleep

gwpriester

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gwpriester

I have a T2i that I purchased three or four years ago that is very similar to this camera.

I love the camera. It is heavier than point and shoot cameras but it feels and sounds solid when you use it. The picture quality is very good and the camera is very easy to use.

zarchitect

ucdcheeng wrote:Is there any real advantage getting the T4i over the T3i? I can only find better FPS and the movie autofocus. Not really finding anything catching in terms of photo taking.

A lot - actually.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-T4i-vs-Canon-T3i

I think (with any gadget, really), you need to think of what you'll use it for, then budget, then buy whatever fits your need. Buy used if need be - but only buy what you'll really use. The touchscreen IS nice - I must admit.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy

and so the morning...and the woootoffff...drags on...

zarchitect

zarchitect wrote:A lot - actually.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-T4i-vs-Canon-T3i

I think (with any gadget, really), you need to think of what you'll use it for, then budget, then buy whatever fits your need. Buy used if need be - but only buy what you'll really use. The touchscreen IS nice - I must admit.

I was about to get a 7D vs. T4i but finally opted for this one. After you add the battery grip, batteries, flash - it's a REALLY heavy camera - I could only imagine how much heavier it would get when you take it up to the full-metal body! I don't take my gear out in the rain anyway so why the need for weather-proofing? EOS series I think are really a Bang-for-the-Buck series - until you move to full-frame, that is.

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

I asked that same question myself this summer when pondering an upgrade from my XSi. Decided to save some $$ and go with the T3i and don't regret it for a second. Because I very rarely use the video mode, the difference in video specs was not enough to sway me.

Either would be a fine purchase, but you're likely to find better deals on the T3i due to it being the aging model.

ucdcheeng wrote:Is there any real advantage getting the T4i over the T3i? I can only find better FPS and the movie autofocus. Not really finding anything catching in terms of photo taking.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
mal1110 wrote:if this woot off lasts for days i am:

2) going to get no sleep

Work on your finals,we'll call you is there is something we think you will want to buy.

zizzybaloobah

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zizzybaloobah

I had the Rebel xT, then the T2i, the T3i came out shortly after I bought the T2i (but I didn't bite). I've been seeing the T4i commercials for a couple weeks now.

I've got the lenses, so I'm taking the plunge -- at this price, I'm in for the touch, variable angle LCD, and the added movie features I don't have on my t2i. This is cheaper than when I bought my t2i new. No sales tax either, which saves me over $40.

Damn you woot for the temptation!
But Merry Christmas to me!

selfAfflicted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages selfAfflicted

The touch screen makes going through menus so much faster and easier.

huib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huib

Jaselnewpar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jaselnewpar
huib wrote:http://www.fumfie.com/product/ID1057C5/view
$689.95

Was just about to post that.

StephenCarboni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StephenCarboni

This is an incredible buy. I bought my T3i about this time last year for about that price. This one is about the same except with a touch screen. Not a bad deal at all.

StephenCarboni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StephenCarboni
zizzybaloobah wrote:I had the Rebel xT, then the T2i, the T3i came out shortly after I bought the T2i (but I didn't bite). I've been seeing the T4i commercials for a couple weeks now.

I've got the lenses, so I'm taking the plunge -- at this price, I'm in for the touch, variable angle LCD, and the added movie features I don't have on my t2i. This is cheaper than when I bought my t2i new. No sales tax either, which saves me over $40.

Damn you woot for the temptation!
But Merry Christmas to me!

I already have the angle LCD with my T3i but if you have a 2i, this is a good upgrade.

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien

tonespliff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonespliff

is this the one that causes allergic reactions when people touch the rubber part?

saw a big recall notice in best buy, and instantly didn't buy this and bought a t3i, which is the same thing, and much cheaper now.

peachtek

quality posts: 5 Private Messages peachtek

Mornin peeps!!

~~We can't all be princesses. Someone has to wave as I walk by.~~

humongous

quality posts: 2 Private Messages humongous

taylor6400

quality posts: 1 Private Messages taylor6400
huib wrote:http://www.fumfie.com/product/ID1057C5/view
$689.95

Wow, thats a heck of a deal.

I bought this camera a couple months ago with the 18-135. I spent the extra $ on that lens and dont regret it, but if i would have bought this kit lens i would now be kicking myself.

Great camera, still a very fair price since its the newest Rebel released just this summer.

taylor6400

quality posts: 1 Private Messages taylor6400
tonespliff wrote:is this the one that causes allergic reactions when people touch the rubber part?

saw a big recall notice in best buy, and instantly didn't buy this and bought a t3i, which is the same thing, and much cheaper now.

The rubber was reacting with peoples skin from what i read. Turning white and flakey. Not sure about skin reactions...but yes this was the model. The ones being mfg currently were not involved in the recall...as i posted above i bought mine in Sept and it was new production not recalled. So, depends on how old these are i guess.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

I'm still waiting for radiojohn to chime in and and say that you can't use this to take pictures of your kid in a school gym without buying a $3000 lens.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK
mal1110 wrote:if this woot off lasts for days i am:

2) going to get no sleep

It says in the "It's Woot-off time!" note on the front page that this is a two-day Wootoff.

dlcarst77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dlcarst77

Always good to wake up to a woot-off on my day off, and even better that I didn't miss anything good overnight, and I even have time to take a shower and make breakfast before the next item pops up....

Woots: 24
Hours wasted on Woot: countless
Regrets: 0

elfleadermike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elfleadermike

Its gonna be a slow woot-off this morning.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
eraten wrote:$799 @ Amazon for the body only. This lens is pretty crappy but it's decent for a starter. Considering it.

When thinking, how good is this lens?, remember that judgement is very, very relative. For example, let's compare the lens with this outfit with another and see how things shake out. Looking at the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens we are talking discounted street price at, $339.00. You can see pricing and specs on B&H site, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html The lens alone that comes with this kit at the same place runs, $199.99. Specs and reviews seen here, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519475-USA/Canon_2042B002_EF_S_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6_IS.html Wow! $140.00 more. And the more expensive lens does not have image stabilization and won't even zoom! One of them must be crap, right? Wrong.

One of the most expensive parts of a lens is the optical elements. The quality of the glass itself in both of these is going to be relatively the same as Canon does a bang up job in the optical department. But the 50mm f1.4 has much larger glass and thus much more expense. The constant f1.4 will give you remarkable low light results that far surpass the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 lens with this kit. The 50mm f1.4 is a more professional grade lens. OK, so the Woot kit has a crappy lens, right? Wrong again. Again we come to the term relative. There is a clear difference in the two and the more expensive stands above the lesser but comparing the two is not 'apples to apples' in any way. Canon offers body only DSLR's that start out in the thousands. The owners of those cameras are most likely going to own the lens that comes with this case. Canon (as well as Nikon, Pentex, etc.) all recognize there is a entry level/hobby level that wants more than a point and shoot can offer but also has limits on what they can or will spend. So, here you have the Rebel line with more affordable lens. Yes, the lens is limited compared to the more expensive one but it cost hundreds less. It is able to make it into the hands of the market that wants more than point and shoot (much more) and has some pretty good points on it's own. 1st you have a zoom lens that offers true wide angle up to what is commonly called 'normal'. The 50mm we talked about here is called a 'normal' lens. The term comes from the fact that at 50mm the lens sees more closely to the human eye than at any other size. The 18-55 thereby gets you up to normal. 2. While you are going to be limited some by the f3.5 - 5.6 indoors and without flash the limitations will be no more and probably less than the point and shoot you now use, with some exceptions. But, the glass is ground by the same folks at Canon that did the more expensive lens and although your glass is smaller than the f1.4, it still is high optical quality in itself. The Bottom line is, the lens in this kit is not crap. It can be out done easily for a lot more money. But entry level to low end (price wise) SLR lens. It is a good piece of glass.

If you want to compare apples to apples then compare this canon 18-55 to a non-canon brand with the exact same features. I'm not taking the time go searching for examples but there are plenty out there. Not just in the lower price range but in the higher price range also. You almost always will find other brands for less money than the lens made by the camera maker. That is tricky too as there are all kinds of things that can be found in a heads up comparison and too many to go into here.

This is Canon's latest entry to the entry level DSLR. As is the case with all products that have not been on the shelf all that long, the discounts are not going to be that deep. The one Woot offers here is pretty darn good considering that fact. If you get into this stuff and you decide later you want a better lens, you won't get a big trade value but you will get some trade value if you want to trade out for more. If you know you want more, you can decide on body only and go for more lens. Or, you can find a kit with a comparable lens level but has more zoom and of course more cost.

When it comes to lens quality there is crap out there but Canon does not make crap. They make several lines of lens. Good, Better, and top of the line. The lens in this kit is a good lens.

Lastly if you were handing your camera and lens to a pro or a top end enthusiast and they happen to be one of the very small group of snobs, they may turn there nose up while talking down at you. That does not change the fact that dollar for dollar you have some really nice camera equipment. It just identifies them as a snob. The nicer guys and gals are going to give you encouragement with a smile and a line like, "nice Canon (or Nikon, etc.)" and possibly give you a few pointers while the tell you about how they started out on a 35mm rangefinder. If you are lucky enough to run into one of those, stick around as long as they will talk. You will get some great info. If you run into the snob, even if he/she has $10K worth of equipment on them right then, just walk away. They mostly want to hear themselves talking about what all they have and what all you don't. You won't learn one darn thing from them. You will just get an ear ache and a pain in the butt.

icatar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages icatar

I bought this camera a few weeks ago to upgrade from my point and shoot. The difference in picture quality is night and day. Even my wife commented on the difference and she's usually happy with camera phone quality.

coyhaven

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coyhaven

What happened to the woot aler wistle thinggy I dont have it on this computer and my other one crash I need to reload it to scream at me for the next deal!
Any one know where they put it

Anthem for woot-dont quit your day job whoever wrote that I dontthink you will make it on the voice LOL