0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Magellan 4.7" GPS Lifetime Maps/Traffic
$79.99 + $5 Standard OR $14 Two-Day OR $19 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

atomicwaste

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atomicwaste

Shiesh, lots of excess stock with this stuff, it seems...

vatchman

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vatchman

What? no comment such as Garmin is better or what a great deal is the lifetime maps, but Magellan has this or that issue?

ryedunn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryedunn

They just had this same one a few weeks ago for the same price. If we didnt want it then, why would we want it now?

dmc6127

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmc6127

53% off list price? Why not $5 less than Amazon! That's real

Woodman668

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Woodman668

Why do people still buy these? As Alton Brown would say, it's a uni tasker.

Though as soon as I say this I think of a couple reasons to. My phone is $200 with a two year contract, this is a bit better to take camping or leave in the car I guess. I guess it would be ok to put it on a boat too.

Alright, now I have no reason to post this since I've debunked my own theory, but I'll be damned if I'll type all this out and just delete it, so here is my gift to woot today, a totally useless post.

jeeperwoot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jeeperwoot

what happened to all the images? maybe just me. need to clear out cache perhaps.

toekneebullard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toekneebullard
Woodman668 wrote:Why do people still buy these? As Alton Brown would say, it's a uni tasker.

My wife dislikes smart phones, but gets lost in the city all the time.

babylemonade

quality posts: 4 Private Messages babylemonade

This product seems to have some mixed reviews - only a 3 star average at Amazon and a 70% customer recommendation rate at QVC. I have to pass, I've heard Garmin Nuvis are the best GPS devices.

krmarshall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krmarshall

No opinion, but read the reviews (3 out of 5 stars): http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-RoadMate-3065-Widescreen-Bluetooth/product-reviews/B003CYKYV6/ref=pr_all_summary_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

ladytyphoid

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ladytyphoid
Woodman668 wrote:Why do people still buy these? ...

Ok though you did debunk yourself a little, I'll give MY reason.

My boyfriend drives to remote sites to repair things, sometimes even 4 hours away. His phone has a clunky GPS, too small a screen, and if you get a call/text while driving it screws everything up. I'm considering getting this for him because of the convenience.

My only reason NOT to at this point is because I maintain his WORK should buy it for him. So I can't decide.

flyswatter

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flyswatter

I have an older Magellan and personally, prefer its interface over Garmin and Tom Tom. Lifetime on maps and traffic, plus bluetooth seems like a very good deal for the price.

AugInBethany

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AugInBethany

Who the heck still needs a GPS?

EltonNoway

quality posts: 8 Private Messages EltonNoway
Woodman668 wrote:...
My phone is $200 with a two year contract

I was thinking the same thing. For instance my phone has Verizon Navigator. Maps are always current (within reason) because Verizon is also in charge of (owns?) the satellite system behind the BlueStar system found in GM automobiles. I now use my phone when I need a navigator.

mitchloft

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mitchloft

I actually bought one of these when it was on woot ... 3 weeks ago? Here's the truth: Buy a TomTom. These are slower (don't update the screen as quickly or as often), less precise, don't put as much information on the screen at all times (you have to poke it to get your current speed and several other items to display for a few seconds) and the voice seems to trail off at the end of street names. Updating the map took almost 4 hours on a DSL line that usually runs at 1.5 MBPS. I really prefer the TomTom I had before I bought this. Too bad it died. This one is also VERY persistent in trying to get you to follow the first route it chooses - insisting on U-turns and go-backs instead of recalculating a new route forward. This REALLY annoys me.

Those who are always quoting others have nothing to say themselves - Mitch Loftus

JohnnyG29

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JohnnyG29

damn, I just bought one of these at full price a month ago.

And yes, it only serves one function but using your phone as a GPS effectively makes it just a GPS when you're driving. When I'm lost (which happens often) I like to be able to call someone to help me navigate the GPS that is right in front of my face. I'm old school like that.

I don't like the traffic updates because they're virtually useless on a daily commute until you get to the heavy traffic - I want to know long before traffic to go around it. But overall I like Magellan. Have used a Magellan for about 7 years and have a difficult time with anything else. This is a great steal.

cjdevlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjdevlin
mitchloft wrote:I actually bought one of these when it was on woot ... 3 weeks ago? Here's the truth: Buy a TomTom. These are slower (don't update the screen as quickly or as often), less precise, don't put as much information on the screen at all times (you have to poke it to get your current speed and several other items to display for a few seconds) and the voice seems to trail off at the end of street names. Updating the map took almost 4 hours on a DSL line that usually runs at 1.5 MBPS. I really prefer the TomTom I had before I bought this. Too bad it died. This one is also VERY persistent in trying to get you to follow the first route it chooses - insisting on U-turns and go-backs instead of recalculating a new route forward. This REALLY annoys me.

Thank you. This is the best review I've read yet. I was on the fence on this one and your experience swayed me.

FeloniusMonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FeloniusMonkey

Hello... Magellan? Why is it so hard for you to publish the screen resolution? Yes, it really does matter!

BTW, I blame this on Magellan since the Amazon product page doesn't show it either.

dpwellman

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dpwellman
Woodman668 wrote:Why do people still buy these?

I have it on good authority that people still buy these:

And no lifetime updates either.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

mitchloft

cjdevlin wrote:Thank you. This is the best review I've read yet. I was on the fence on this one and your experience swayed me.

You are welcome. Right now, I wish I had just spent the $129 on the TomTom instead of $79 on this thing. Oh well, it works - better than nothing, I guess.

Those who are always quoting others have nothing to say themselves - Mitch Loftus

EltonNoway

quality posts: 8 Private Messages EltonNoway
mitchloft wrote:This one is also VERY persistent in trying to get you to follow the first route it chooses - insisting on U-turns and go-backs instead of recalculating a new route forward. This REALLY annoys me.

Ha... a friend of mine just got a new 2013 Lexus SUV and the crappy build-in GPS system does the same thing. It won't recalculate a new route now matter how far you get off course.

mitchloft

EltonNoway wrote:Ha... a friend of mine just got a new 2013 Lexus SUV and the crappy build-in GPS system does the same thing. It won't recalculate a new route now matter how far you get off course.

I'd guess: built on the same program. Possibly purchased entire from Magellan.

kbergen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbergen

I have this and a Tom Tom. The screen is great (nice and big). I like it better than using my cell phone because data (maps) are not always available via cell. The biggest drawback i had with this over the TomTom (that is about 3 years old) is that it doesn't show the speed limit of the road. Apart from that, it works well. I did like the address import feature.

dundey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dundey
babylemonade wrote:This product seems to have some mixed reviews - only a 3 star average at Amazon and a 70% customer recommendation rate at QVC. I have to pass, I've heard Garmin Nuvis are the best GPS devices.

2 words - Tom Tom

dundey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dundey
AugInBethany wrote:Who the heck still needs a GPS?

Anyone on the road often that wants to use their cell phone to talk to people. Oh, no one does that anymore??!!