WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Now spread 'em! No, no, we're just kidding, the lawyers would never let us mug you. We're not profitable enough to protect! And that's why, today, we're taking a look at the seedy side of songs. Today's Music Monday is all about crime. We'll start with a classic:

Woody Guthrie - Pretty Boy Floyd

This song about a Depression-era bank robber shares a lot in common with modern hip hop songs. A guy with no money, doing what he had to do to survive, yet popular with the people. Some say he's like Robin Hood, some say he's a terrible man, some say it was all just made up in the first place. Regardless of the truth, "Some will rob you with a six gun/and some with a fountain pen" are lyrics that could have been written just last week.

More crime and criminals after the jump. Follow us if you know what's good for you.

Remember our new Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Best Bass Lines so turn on the subwoofer before you hit play. Just before you start reminiscing, check out our current Music Monday below. It'd be a crime if you missed out. Ha! Get it? Okay, fine, that joke was a crime as well.

Serge Gainsbourg & Brigette Bardot - Bonnie And Clyde

Yes, it's in French, and yes, you don't have to speak French to enjoy the song. This song is carried by tone and tune, and if you know who Bonnie and Clyde were, you know this is a love song for a pair doomed from the start. But boy, will they enjoy the ride.

Tony Orlando & Dawn - Tie A Yellow Ribbon

This song has found a new life, but originally, it was the story of an ex-con wondering about the girl he left behind. Of course, Wikipedia adds another layer by letting us know the yellow ribbon was for soldiers first so we're not poo-pooing the present day meaning, just pointing out that this song was originally related to crime.

Kate Bush - There Goes A Tenner

This could, in fact, be the only song about a bank heist in progress. Of course things go wrong, but that's not a spoiler, because if you see the words "bank heist" in any form of media you should just accept the words "goes wrong" follow right behind it. A lovely song nevertheless.

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues

If you've never heard this song before, that's your fault. The Man In Black made singing about criminal acts into something no one else ever did: a bad thing. You can't sing along to Folsom Prison Blues without understanding that sin carries a price, or to put it casually, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Lots of rappers make what they do sound wonderful, but Cash makes the sound wonderful, but remembers to keep the story sad. He suffers so you won't.

Confess to your favorite crime song in our comments below. Then lay low in our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen

I'm sure there's a better choice, but my first thought was Kid Creole and the Coconuts' Stool Pigeon. Hopefully I can come up with something more proggy later.

rgmsgirl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rgmsgirl

This here's a story about Billy Joe and Bobbie Sue two young lovers with nothin' better to do than sit around the house, get high, and watch the tube and here is what happened when they decided to cut loose...yeah my fave would have to be Steve Miller Band's "Take The Money And Run."

Lost Cause...

mossygreen

rgmsgirl wrote:This here's a story about Billy Joe and Bobbie Sue two young lovers with nothin' better to do than sit around the house, get high, and watch the tube and here is what happened when they decided to cut loose...yeah my fave would have to be Steve Miller Band's "Take The Money And Run."

Oh, I think that's the better choice I was trying to remember!

jai151

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151

Bobby Darrin's Mack The Knife (No, it's not his originally, but his is the most famous version) is not just about one crime, but many! It's also one of my favorites of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEllHMWkXEU

Also, I'm going to re-use a song I used long ago here. James Taylor - Machine Gun Kelly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtvEzgmWBB0

mossygreen

Oh crap, the answer was Steely Dan all along!

Kid Charlemagne

Don't Take Me Alive

Sign in Stranger

pastorbill83

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pastorbill83

While I like "Folsom Prison Blues," as a former Californian, I always cringe at the lines about shooting a man in Reno and then doing time in Folsom Prison. Reno is in Nevada--why is he locked up across the border?

jai151

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151
pastorbill83 wrote:While I like "Folsom Prison Blues," as a former Californian, I always cringe at the lines about shooting a man in Reno and then doing time in Folsom Prison. Reno is in Nevada--why is he locked up across the border?

If both men were Californian, it would make sense. Or if the crime he got locked up for was not killing the man in Reno, that was just the start of his walk down the bad path. Or if he shot a man in Reno Junction, CA.

Mariomad29

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mariomad29

What about Barenaked Ladies' song "Bank Job".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxJKypvfq0

that's a live version in the bathroom.

dwinn

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dwinn

Stagger Lee!

Mississippi john Hurt:

Nick Cave:

dukeofwulf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dukeofwulf
jai151 wrote:Bobby Darrin's Mack The Knife (No, it's not his originally, but his is the most famous version) is not just about one crime, but many! It's also one of my favorites of all time.

I'm glad someone mentioned Mack the Knife! I also love that song. I've also enjoyed Butcher Pete from the Fallout 3 soundtrack.

SpudWoot

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SpudWoot

1. Robert Earl King's "The Road Goes on Forever"

2.Merle Haggard -- His first five Number one hits

SpudWoot

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SpudWoot
SpudWoot wrote:1. Robert Earl King's "The Road Goes on Forever"

"Alantic City"--numerous, I prefer Levon Helm

madtownmoxie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madtownmoxie

I Fought the Law, Written by Sonny Curtis of the Crickets (he essentially replaced Buddy Holly on Guitar after his death).

Covered Famously by the Bobby Fuller Four and the Clash (which are probably the two best know versions).

Also covered by Green Day, the Stray Cats, The Dead Kennedys and gobs of others.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

Two from the One-Hit-Wonder category about night time crime:

"The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" - Vicki Lawrence

"The Night Chicago Died" - Paper Lace

jsdixon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jsdixon

Grateful Dead's Dupree's Diamond Blues

The Clash's version of I fought the Law

Marley's I shot the Sheriff

Most songs by the Velvet underground - Heroine, I'm waiting for the man

There are so many songs about crime and criminals.

Joel S. Dixon

IronDave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IronDave
SpudWoot wrote:1. Robert Earl King's "The Road Goes on Forever"

Robert Earl Keen, to give him his due. A fine song.

Iron Dave

IronDave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IronDave

"Betty and Dupree" is an old blues standard about a sensational robbery and murder in Atlanta, I think.

Lots of traditional music about crime, "Long Black Veil", "Banks of the Ohio" come to mind.

Johnny Cash recorded "The Mercy Seat", a harrowing song about an execution.

And I should also mention Dylan's "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" and "The Death of Emmett Till".

Iron Dave

lvbelleame

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lvbelleame

Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing!

http://youtu.be/jrwjiO1MCVs

vigilante1987

quality posts: 11 Private Messages vigilante1987

The Grateful Dead: Jack Straw

John Lennon: John Sinclair

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues

Great choice scott. One of the first songs that came to mind. I'll post some after I get home tonight.

Lizzybob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lizzybob

"Indiana Wants Me" by R. Dean Taylor

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

"Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" by Paul Simon.

What exactly "the mama saw", we may never know, but "it was against the law" !

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

tslothrop

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tslothrop

"Ode to Billie Joe" by Bobbie Gentry

Dex15

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Dex15

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMFYs3gfgis
John Mellencamp - Authority Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsEwK69LXjQ
-Dex