nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

Anyone else agree that todays Woot off has been especially anti-climactic?

appledude9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages appledude9
nmchapma wrote:Anyone else agree that todays Woot off has been especially anti-climactic?

I haven't been paying attention really, but I was wondering... when was the last Big ol' Cornucopia I feel I haven't seen them in like 3 months. Last I remember was the pirate treasure hunt one; has there been more and/or are they no longer existent in woot-offs?

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
appledude9 wrote:Last I remember was the pirate treasure hunt one; has there been more and/or are they no longer existent in woot-offs?

As far as I know that was it. this pop.woot.com thing seems interesting but I'm afraid it too will disappoint me.

jpweir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpweir

I'd call this the clear out the refurbished 30 pin connector for iPod merch before there's absolutely no market for it woot-off.

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425

Since I've only received 50% of what I bought in the last woot-off and have had 33% of my packages *disappear* in shipping in the last 6 months, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger anymore. I've only been looking occasionally and it's looking pretty underwhelming.

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick

I'll admit that with the server issues earlier, I haven't really been following this one too closely.

darktide00

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darktide00

Truly disappointing... More so than usual... definitely in the decline here, Sad...

I told you not to bother me while I'm cleaning my Room!

chainsawmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chainsawmom

I agree. We need a woot extravaganza!

tjotech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjotech

The last Big ol' Cornucopia was geared toward either twitter or Facebook.

Woot (actually Amazon) gears all their efforts now towards users of these social media platforms, and chooses to completely IGNORE people who have no interest in social media, including a lot of us "ORIGINAL" Wooters, people who have been here since the beginning.

I very rarely even bother looking at Woot anymore.

appledude9 wrote:I haven't been paying attention really, but I was wondering... when was the last Big ol' Cornucopia I feel I haven't seen them in like 3 months. Last I remember was the pirate treasure hunt one; has there been more and/or are they no longer existent in woot-offs?

cwellons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwellons

Woot! definitely is in the decline and I'm sad to see it. I inquired with woot about the Basket of Cranberries. This was their response:

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your concerns as well as your business.
We do still sell our Big ol' Cornucopia but we primarily promote it during special events through our social media outlets.
Woot Member Services,
Daniel

I take this as a "yes we still do but not as often, and most likely not on wootoffs anymore." So my guess is probably holidays then? See you all on Christmas.

appledude9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages appledude9
cwellons wrote:Woot! definitely is in the decline and I'm sad to see it. I inquired with woot about the Basket of Cranberries. This was their response:

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your concerns as well as your business.
We do still sell our Big ol' Cornucopia but we primarily promote it during special events through our social media outlets.
Woot Member Services,
Daniel

I take this as a "yes we still do but not as often, and most likely not on wootoffs anymore." So my guess is probably holidays then? See you all on Christmas.

Wow. Woot must be trying to get in Facebook's pants or something, then. This is crazy...

mac454

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mac454

I do not see a reason why they stopped doing Big ol' Cornucopia#39;s during woot-offs. I really don't. Server crashes aside, the possibility of a Basket of Cranberries kept untold numbers of people on woot.com for the entire woot-off.

I would think keeping people on your site as you offer different items might get them to purchase one or more of those items. Especially if the items are quality products at a decent discount.

Unfortunately for woot, myself and many like me haven't even bothered to check the site more than a couple of times during this woot-off. And speaking for myself, I only checked to see if they offered a Basket of Cranberries, not what I may have missed out on.

Oh well.

mthomtech

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mthomtech
mac454 wrote:I do not see a reason why they stopped doing Big ol' Cornucopia#39;s during woot-offs. I really don't. Server crashes aside, the possibility of a Basket of Cranberries kept untold numbers of people on woot.com for the entire woot-off.

I would think keeping people on your site as you offer different items might get them to purchase one or more of those items. Especially if the items are quality products at a decent discount.

Unfortunately for woot, myself and many like me haven't even bothered to check the site more than a couple of times during this woot-off. And speaking for myself, I only checked to see if they offered a Basket of Cranberries, not what I may have missed out on.

Oh well.

Exactly my feeling. I know that I bought more in past woot-offs because I watched everything that went by, waiting for the Big ol' Cornucopia ... now, I may see 5-10% of the soot-off, especially because we've seen it all before at the same prices.

I definitely feel that we took a BIG step backward recently with woot. The only positive is the $5 all you can ship ...

Can't say that my wife is unhappy though ... since my woot addiction has significantly waned!

3 x

speedwaydog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedwaydog

Another Woot-off without a Big ol' Cornucopia or Monkey. Boo, Hiss!!!

The Big ol' Cornucopia and Monkeys are what keep people here during a Woot-Off. People are going to start doing other things besides Woot. Like sleeping.

deadbishop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deadbishop

Well, that was 3 days wasted. Not one desirable item worth waiting for. No Bathysphere of Curmugeons, not even a flying monkey.

For shame Woot, for shame...

DarkZrobe

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe

Are they still even selling monkeys? I havnt seen those in a while. I know they changed distributors to something crappier... But I miss them.

Un0fficial

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Un0fficial

Yeah something isn't right at woot. No Big ol' Cornucopia#39;s for the last 2 Woot Offs... posts getting deleted for no reason... This is no longer the woot I loved.

Intrepid Wooter
58 total woots including (Not all listed)
12/1/2010, 4/1/2011, 7/12/2011, 9/14/2011, 12/6/2011, 12/25/2011, 3/22/2012, 4/24/2012, 5/22/2012, 6/26/2012, 7/12/2012(5x), 8/21/2013, 12/3/2013, 1/15/2014, 4/22/2014, 6/2/2014 Bags of Crap

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Un0fficial wrote:Yeah something isn't right at woot. No Big ol' Cornucopia#39;s for the last 2 Woot Offs... posts getting deleted for no reason... This is no longer the woot I loved.

FWIW, we've always deleted off-topic posts in product threads once the woot-off is over. Nothing new there. The Asus Transformer is a new item for us so I'd like Wooters to be able to find info and ask questions without sifting through a lot of posts on the woot-off.

Thanks for your help.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Un0fficial

ThunderThighs wrote:FWIW, we've always deleted off-topic posts in product threads once the woot-off is over. Nothing new there. The Asus Transformer is a new item for us so I'd like Wooters to be able to find info and ask questions without sifting through a lot of posts on the woot-off.

Thanks for your help.

TT, you know you're one of my favorite woot staffers, but I've always posted off-topic stuff after a woot off in the new item thread and I've never seen my posts deleted...

Intrepid Wooter
12/1/2010, 4/1/2011, 7/12/2011, 9/14/2011, 12/6/2011, 12/25/2011, 3/22/2012, 4/24/2012, 5/22/2012, 6/26/2012, 7/12/2012(5x), 8/21/2013, 12/3/2013, 1/15/2014, 4/22/2014, 6/2/2014 Bags of Crap

alyson003

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alyson003

this is very dissapointing Woot. Why are they deleting comments? Is the community strictly required to now comment ONLY on the item?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Un0fficial wrote:TT, you know you're one of my favorite woot staffers, but I've always posted off-topic stuff after a woot off in the new item thread and I've never seen my posts deleted...

And I'm always the mod at the end of the woot-off and I've ALWAYS taken a beating for deleting posts in the product discussion thread following a woot-off.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

DarkZrobe

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe

All I hear is deleted comments and Big ol' Cornucopia stuff. I need to know about the monkeys THE MONKEYS!

:Cries:

ThunderThighs

Staff

alyson003 wrote:this is very dissapointing Woot. Why are they deleting comments? Is the community strictly required to now comment ONLY on the item?

We've always tried to keep product thread comments focused on the products. During woot-offs, we let things go because, well, it's a woot-off. Woot-off is over so back to the usual stuff. Feel free to comment here though. We'll be read the comments and appreciate feedback.

anago

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anago

Ok, here's an on-topic question. Why are the woot-off item prices for refurbs sometimes slightly better, if not worse, than the amazon retail prices for the same item? Isn't this supposed to be liquidation. Why wouldn't I just shop at amazon for free shipping on new product? Also no Big ol' Cornucopia What gives. Please don't remove this comment, it is on topic.

By the way ThunderThighs, I do respect what your job entails.

I’m addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn’t matter. -- Steven Wright

panthiest

quality posts: 11 Private Messages panthiest
alyson003 wrote:this is very dissapointing Woot. Why are they deleting comments? Is the community strictly required to now comment ONLY on the item?

Some things have gotten stricter, despite the company line.

Check out ask the community over at deals.woot though- lots of fun to be had there.

echoman23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages echoman23

was it just me or were there no Big ol' Cornucopia that came through? I tried staying up for the entire woot-off but ya gotta sleep sometimes.

alyson003

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alyson003
ThunderThighs wrote:We've always tried to keep product thread comments focused on the products. During woot-offs, we let things go because, well, it's a woot-off. Woot-off is over so back to the usual stuff. Feel free to comment here though. We'll be read the comments and appreciate feedback.

Woot's a foreign country to me now. This may be familar to everyone else, but now I see why I no longer visit this land without monkeys, bandoliers of carrots, silly comments and now see home pages full of blah instead of the whole page of wittiness!

Un0fficial

alyson003 wrote:Woot's a foreign country to me now. This may be familar to everyone else, but now I see why I no longer visit this land without monkeys, bandoliers of carrots, silly comments and now see home pages full of blah instead of the whole page of wittiness!

*sniffles* couldn't have said it better myself

Intrepid Wooter

duvi0us

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duvi0us

very dissapointed.. i actually convinced my wife to participate after many attempts and no Big ol' Cornucopia?? needless to say, Woot didnt win her over.. oh well Woot, i tried and you failed.

Not sure that i'll check out the next woot-off. And yes, i can purchase these items through other sites.

i dont expect a response from Woot, i dont honestly think they care what we think.

echoman23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages echoman23
duvi0us wrote:very dissapointed.. i actually convinced my wife to participate after many attempts and no Big ol' Cornucopia?? needless to say, Woot didnt win her over.. oh well Woot, i tried and you failed.

Not sure that i'll check out the next woot-off. And yes, i can purchase these items through other sites.

i dont expect a response from Woot, i dont honestly think they care what we think.

my gf stood vigil most of last night and into the early morning waiting for the crap of bag. *shakes fist at blantant wordcensorship* I'll continue viewing woot occasionally but any fervor i had once felt for watching the items for craps of bag during woot-offs has been burnt out by this past woot-off.

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0
mac454 wrote:I do not see a reason why they stopped doing Big ol' Cornucopia#39;s during woot-offs. I really don't. Server crashes aside, the possibility of a Basket of Cranberries kept untold numbers of people on woot.com for the entire woot-off.

Oh well.

If you consider woot!'s point of view, they still sold out of every product offered during the woot-off so why should they care?

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast

Woot, I know you can do better than this. I spent more at Home.Woot than the original Woot this time. I have to admit, the thrill of watching items come across is not there anymore. I actually paid attention to work and not Woot for the past 2 days. Will I keep Wooting? Of course, but the woots are getting fewer and fewer.

And oh yeah. MONKEYS!!!!!!!!!!

aross6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aross6

There wasn't even anything remotely interesting this time! No Hulk buttons? No Monkeys, no Carps. All I saw was a bunch of bacon.

Which is fine...because bacon is awesome.

But didn't they have a woot-off retiring bacon?

nuffsaid07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nuffsaid07

Home.woot did have more things I was loving. I'd go back to Woot and be like "meh"
I never really get excited about woot-offs anymore.
I never managed to get what I want, which is the thing that everyone wants of course. Lawls.
Didn't loose sleep over this woot-off thats for sure.

Dookie.

outdoorslife

quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife

Yea, checked maybe twice... looked at the blog and saw, same old stuff, no big deal.

Biggest issue is the new layout, takes too long to get info about a product, TOO MANY clicks.
I can go to deals.woot.com and see in a glance if there is something of interest, and go to some other site which generally has it ON THE FRONT PAGE ready for me to buy.

So overall - thanks woot, you are helping me save my money! And spend it else where.

Yea. go amazon, great job revamping woot. yea.

tgall45

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tgall45

I miss the real woot. Whatever this is is only a pale shade of what used to be.

Woot may not agree because they are growing and expanding with different store fronts and more barely discounted deals. The thread after a wootoff used to be pages upon pages of comments, now just 1 page. How sad.

I used to check the site regularly and follow woot-offs closely. Now days can go by where I don't even connect to woot. I no longer tell friends and family to check out woot. Woot shirts used to be gone forever. Now a flood of reprints reduce the uniqueness and collectability that set woot shirts apart from the sea of daily shirt sites. The phenomenon that was woot is dead. Good luck keeping the company from following.

bspahr3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bspahr3

Gotta agree with everyone else here...Woot has been more and more disappointing since Amazon took over. I'd give anything for the old design, the old products, the old server crashes and cat pics and monkeys. If I find a Woot-Off nowadays it's by accident as I no longer go to Woot first thing every morning....and I certainly don't stay perched by the PC wearing out the F5 during Woot-Offs any longer. Sad, sad, sad!

38 WOOTS and counting......3 Barnfuls of Crocodiles!!!

offline999

quality posts: 4 Private Messages offline999

Just to echo what many have said...I barely pay attention to Woot! Offs anymore.
There used to be a time when I'd tune in alll day, feverishly pressing F5 hoping for a bandolier. Even if the next product was just another Roomba (this was before Dyson took over...grrrr!) or perhaps a glorious Leak Frog, I'd still head to the discussion pages to bask in the snarky comments or random kitty pics.
I miss the days when this site felt more like a community...

mandren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mandren
cwellons wrote:Woot! definitely is in the decline and I'm sad to see it. I inquired with woot about the Basket of Cranberries. This was their response:

Hello,
Woot Member Services,
Daniel

Disappointing. Kinda saw it coming with the takeover, unfortunately. For the past few woot-offs ive barely bothered to check, and looking back through the listings wasnt really disappointed. This is probably the icing on the cake to finally drive me away entirely.

dbcooper

quality posts: 16 Private Messages dbcooper

I've been with WOOT! for many years now, bought lots of stuff, and always enjoyed the sense of "being a part of it." Now, to me, it's just another mega-site hawking the same wares you can buy anywhere else. Gone are the fun days of camaraderie, cat pic posts, etc, that made woot-offs seem like a huge, drunken family reunion party.

I used to take off work to stay up with the woot-off, buy the good deals, and chat in the comments section. I have had Woot! themed Christmas's where every present I gave came from Woot.

There used to be hundreds and hundreds of posts in every woot-off item that popped up of just fun, humorous banter.

The good ole days are gone, swallowed up by the corporate Amazon machine. The Woot! we had grown to love is dead, and in its place is this cyborg Woot!... One that still has some of the innocent, familiar, friendly aspects that the old Woot! had, but now has been reprogrammed to be a wallet sucking profit machine.

They lure us in with their witty prose, taunting us with trailing-edge technology at "Mmmmmmm... just OK" prices. Then they jam their blood-funnel into our PayPal account, to bleed us dry. Then, to add insult to injury, ship out the items via Smart-Post, assuring they will arrive well after their obsolescence does.

I wish Woot well. I know, under the Amazon wing, they will become the huge mega-ecommerce site they have aspired to be. They will all become rich and live happy lives. I'm glad of that, I really am.

What saddens me is that something special died when Amazon took Woot! over. It's gone now, it'll never be back. And those of us who have been around long enough to remember the old Woot will never forget how awesome Woot! used to be.

Personally, I hereby revoke the '!' from Woot! and replace it with a '?'. Woot?

<life>...insert something interesting here...</life>