0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Nikon 14.2MP SLR w/ 18-55mm Lens Kit
$439.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

acraigl

quality posts: 54 Private Messages acraigl

Got this camera for my wife about a year ago. Solid starter DLSR, takes great pictures. You will definitely want a zoomier lens, as this one is limited. The 55-300mm variety is a good add-on. Not too expensive and really versatile.

TwoThirteen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TwoThirteen
acraigl wrote:Got this camera for my wife about a year ago. Solid starter DLSR, takes great pictures. You will definitely want a zoomier lens, as this one is limited. The 55-300mm variety is a good add-on. Not too expensive and really versatile.

the Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens is a quality lens. So it's not like you'd be throwing one out for the other, here folks.

Nikon makes a d5100 which maybe some of you would prefer to this d3100. The d3100's a good intro SLR.

hoferty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoferty

I really want one of these... but this price isn't much better than amazon or other deal sites. I'm banking on black friday or cyber monday for a sub $400 price tag.

wake me at midnight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wake me at midnight

This or the Canon EOS T3 (not the T3i) that was here not too long ago (for $400)?

neobigdan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages neobigdan

Also have had this camera for about a year. I agree it takes great photos, the HD video on the other hand is limited to 10 minutes per shot. And if you use the auto focus feature during video mode, you can hear the auto-focus motors in your videos, a bit of a drawback IMHO. But in normal focus mode with a steady hand you can get good video captures. You can get the Nikor 55-200 VR lenes for about $150-$190 these days if you hunt around, they compliment the stock lens. I also recommend a second battery if you use this for much video. I have 2 batteries in a battery grip and I get great battery life. Video/audio recording just go through battery life quicker.

VetteLT193

quality posts: 6 Private Messages VetteLT193

I have this camera, bought it last year. It's a great camera. As some call it a 'starter' camera... it may be starter if you get really into it, but there really isn't anything you can't do with it if you are a casual user. I consider myself a casual user and have taken thousands of pictures over the past year.

I bought mine for 600-ish with a case and extra zoom lens (costco). Plan on buying another lens ($200 ish) because you'll get a lot more out of it with at least one more lens.

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf
wake me at midnight wrote:This or the Canon EOS T3 (not the T3i) that was here not too long ago (for $400)?

camera wise, they are both good starters. I happen to like nikon lens more. Both cannon and nikon are great companies. You'll get a lot of opinions over which is "better". truth is, both are good.

VetteLT193

quality posts: 6 Private Messages VetteLT193
wake me at midnight wrote:This or the Canon EOS T3 (not the T3i) that was here not too long ago (for $400)?

General rule of thumb is if you are into outdoor photos / sports shooting go Canon. If you are into indoor / family / and outdoor go Nikon.

Nikon used to be way behind in the sports taking arena (they have since caught up) so you'll notice the vast majority of sports photographers with Canon equipment.

On the other hand, professional wedding photographers, family photo takers, etc. will be vastly Nikon. I did a ton of research and found that Nikon would be a better long term solution for me because taking pictures with flash on the Nikon simply come out better with less effort.

cdgrimm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cdgrimm

I have not used a DSLR. Is it possible to use my old Nikon lens from my film SLR with this camera?

hockeypuck55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hockeypuck55
neobigdan wrote:Also have had this camera for about a year. I agree it takes great photos, the HD video on the other hand is limited to 10 minutes per shot. And if you use the auto focus feature during video mode, you can hear the auto-focus motors in your videos, a bit of a drawback IMHO. But in normal focus mode with a steady hand you can get good video captures. You can get the Nikor 55-200 VR lenes for about $150-$190 these days if you hunt around, they compliment the stock lens. I also recommend a second battery if you use this for much video. I have 2 batteries in a battery grip and I get great battery life. Video/audio recording just go through battery life quicker.

I've had the camera for about 2 years and this post is my experience exactly. Great camera.

kvanhorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kvanhorn

Not a good deal:

I'm surprised more Wooters don't highlight the item title, in this case " Nikon 14.2MP SLR w/ 18-55mm Lens Kit" then right click to search on Google, then click "shopping". Seriously, it's only 3 mouse action.

There are 15 retailers offering this for less than the Woot price, including NewEgg, Adorama and Buy.com

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
cdgrimm wrote:I have not used a DSLR. Is it possible to use my old Nikon lens from my film SLR with this camera?

No, you will not.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

Here's a Cnet review -- 5/5 stars!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

dcowley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcowley

Everything you wanted to know about it from a photographer - Ken Rockwell.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100.htm

dtdware

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dtdware

Internet search has found a price of $377

shelland

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shelland
hoferty wrote:I really want one of these... but this price isn't much better than amazon or other deal sites. I'm banking on black friday or cyber monday for a sub $400 price tag.

http://blackfriday.com/products?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=d3100

charliecarroll

kvanhorn wrote:Not a good deal:

I'm surprised more Wooters don't highlight the item title, in this case " Nikon 14.2MP SLR w/ 18-55mm Lens Kit" then right click to search on Google, then click "shopping". Seriously, it's only 3 mouse action.

There are 15 retailers offering this for less than the Woot price, including NewEgg, Adorama and Buy.com

Not on my search. Here is what I found,

Audorama, $476.95 http://www.adorama.com/INKD3100K.html

Newegg, $476.95 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830113267

Buy.com, $460.00 http://www.buy.com/prod/nikon-d3100-14-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-with-3x-optical-zoom-3-lcd/217139169.html

So, your info is bogus and the Woot price is lower than all three you have named. However, it is easy to find this same outfit for less by Gray Market dealers. Less money yes but you are taking the big chance because there is no USA warranty. Now these companies often advertise, "full warranty' but look very closely. It is not a factory warranty at all. Beware

I prefer Canon myself but this Nikon is a great starter DSLR. B&H has this at the same price as Audoram and NewEgg but I am including the link below because it also has a short cut to 1027 reviews from owners. BTW, they rate the camera at 4.5 out of 5.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/730210-REG/Nikon_25472_D3100_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

shelland

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shelland

I happen to be a Canon guy, but the T3 is their bottom D-SLR model so I'd probably sway slightly to the D3100 in that comparison.

I did a little reading on the D3100 a couple years ago for my sister in-law. She wanted Nikon, and it was getting very good reviews at the time (I assume it still is).

For a starter, D-3100 is going to be a nice camera and big step in quality over a point-and-shoot. But if you're going to jump to D-SLR, do yourself a favor and spend some time learning to use them. It will give you better pictures even in full auto mode, but you'll get even better results taking the initiative to do a few things on your own (even without going into full manual mode).

MiteyJoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MiteyJoe
dtdware wrote:Internet search has found a price of $377

Nice work, would you care to share with the group? Maybe a helpful link?

4 8 15 16 23 42

tobias23

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tobias23

can i git a d90 woot?

andy77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andy77
kvanhorn wrote:Not a good deal:

The one site I checked after your post was Adorama and it is more there ($477) for a new one, but a refurb was less. I checked other sites before and they were all more.

layotte

quality posts: 1 Private Messages layotte
cdgrimm wrote:I have not used a DSLR. Is it possible to use my old Nikon lens from my film SLR with this camera?

It depends... http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

• 07.11.2014 - Birthday of Celebrations
  • 06.18.2014 - Roku 3 Streaming Media Player
  • 05.20.2014 - Pinzon Egyptian Cotton 725GSM 6Pc Towels-9 Colors
  • 05.02.2013 - Kodak Xtralife Alkaline Batteries - 72pk (AAA & AA)
  • 11.20.2012 - Nikon 14.2MP SLR w/ 18-55mm Lens Kit
  • 08.20.2012 - Kodak Xtralife Alkaline Batteries - 72pk (AAA & AA)
  • 03.22.2012 - First Aid Kit Bundle - 2 Pack
  • 11.09.2011 - Birthday of Celebrations
  • 10.12.2011 - Birthday of Celebrations
  • 09.14.2011 - Birthday of Celebrations
  • 05.10.2011 - Screaming Giant Monkey w/Green Cape
  • 09.25.2009 - Birthday of Celebrations
  • 09.23.2009 - Uniden 5.8GHz Dual Handset Digital Cordless Phone with Answering System
  • 07.12.2008 - Birthday of Celebrations
  • 03.28.2008 - Dane-Elec 2GB SD Card
  • 06.07.2007 - SanDisk 1GB MP3/WMA Player with FM Tuner and Voice Recorder
  • 06.01.2007 - Birthday of Celebrations

tubino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tubino

Very likely, yes. I use lots of older film camera lenses on a D200 and D300s. You will have to focus manually though.

hanks35

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hanks35

Independent tests show the 3100 beating out the T3. I just recently did some research on this and wound up buying a refurbished d5100 from andorama.com and was very happy with the quality. The 5100 is a big jump higher in price, but it was rated much higher as well.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Nikon_D3100

ucdcheeng

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ucdcheeng

Debating getting the T3i or this. I'm wanting to take good outdoors photos - will this or the Canon T3i be better?

shelland wrote:I happen to be a Canon guy, but the T3 is their bottom D-SLR model so I'd probably sway slightly to the D3100 in that comparison.

I did a little reading on the D3100 a couple years ago for my sister in-law. She wanted Nikon, and it was getting very good reviews at the time (I assume it still is).

For a starter, D-3100 is going to be a nice camera and big step in quality over a point-and-shoot. But if you're going to jump to D-SLR, do yourself a favor and spend some time learning to use them. It will give you better pictures even in full auto mode, but you'll get even better results taking the initiative to do a few things on your own (even without going into full manual mode).

charliecarroll

shelland wrote:I happen to be a Canon guy, but the T3 is their bottom D-SLR model so I'd probably sway slightly to the D3100 in that comparison.

I am also a Canon shooter and you have a very valid point. This Camera to the T3 is not really apples to apples and I would rate it higher. One Nikon shooter states Canon is better outdoors and Nikon is better indoors. Hogwash! While certain functions in the camera body and software has an effect on this the lens and the optics in the lens is where the rubber hits the road. Head to head, quality level to quality level, Canon and Nikon are very close but, Nikon does not have an edge.

Back to the starter level DSLRs, There are a couple things to think about other than price as that is so close. Everybody has different hands so one will feel better in the holder's hands than the other. This will differ from person to person so, if you have a chance, go to a camera shop and hold them both. Which one feels better to you? The other is a little more complex. That is, what if you want to step up to more camera and lens in the future? If you start with one brand it is going to be very expensive to change after that because a Nikor lens that you already own will not fit on a Canon and the same goes back the other way. So take some time to study and decide thinking also, which manufacturer would I want to buy future equipment from. Again, that will very from person to person and what is best for one is not necessarily the best for another.

hanks35

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hanks35
ucdcheeng wrote:Debating getting the T3i or this. I'm wanting to take good outdoors photos - will this or the Canon T3i be better?

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon_D3100

The t3i takes it vs. the 3100. Close though.

jpheiser

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jpheiser

Note about the HD video - the 1080 frame size records only at 24fps (23.98). The 720 frame size does do 30fps.

studson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studson

I think it's the same model here: Amazon Black Friday Sale but Amazon provides a camera case and a memory card.

EDIT: The Amazon Black Friday deal appears to be slightly more when you consider cost of camera, backpack, and memory card as separate items.

runks7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages runks7

hmm no BAC yet? didn't see any the last wootoff, will we see one this time around or are they just hidden somewhere?

hdmatrix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hdmatrix

Buy from Amazon and get the Nikon warranty and numerous discounts on extra lens.

timthetortoise

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timthetortoise

Spend the extra $100 for http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-16-2MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B004V4IWKG/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1353423191&sr=1-1 - completely worth it, and a pretty big upgrade in terms of features. You still won't get the in-camera autofocus, but most of the Nikon lenses coming out now are G anyway.

cmacpherson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmacpherson

Your statement regarding wedding photographers is simply mistaken.

The wedding field splits about evenly and both are good systems.

The same is true for flash photography. Nikon was ahead of Canon in using the camera's pop-up flash to control off-camera flashes. Now both companies do it well.

The decision is best made by finding out whether one feels better in your hand and by what your friends shoot - that way you can share lenses and accessories.

For the record, I'm a professional photography instructor, writer and speaker.

VetteLT193 wrote:General rule of thumb is if you are into outdoor photos / sports shooting go Canon. If you are into indoor / family / and outdoor go Nikon.

Nikon used to be way behind in the sports taking arena (they have since caught up) so you'll notice the vast majority of sports photographers with Canon equipment.

On the other hand, professional wedding photographers, family photo takers, etc. will be vastly Nikon. I did a ton of research and found that Nikon would be a better long term solution for me because taking pictures with flash on the Nikon simply come out better with less effort.

kenbuzz

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz

I bought this same kit from Amazon for $525 last September and I was *happy* to spend so little to get so much. The D3100 is a fantastic DSLR gateway camera, takes wonderful photos, and IMO provides all of the functionality that anyone but a professional photographer might want. Amazon's current $475 price is the lowest they've ever listed it for, so the Woot price is rock solid.

In the past year I've added a 55-200mm lens and a Speedflash, plus several minor items (2nd battery, UV filter, case, etc). and have never looked back.

This is also compatible with the 4GB EyeFi SD card I picked up last year here - so when I'm on the road I've got virtually unlimited storage.

Highly recommended, you won't regret getting this.

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
09/25/14 Roku 1 Streaming Media Player - $30
09/18/14 iGo Car Charger for iPad, iPhone & iPod (3x) - $2 ea
09/04/14 Assorted T-shirts (2x) - $12 ea
08/19/14 HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G - $200
08/06/14 Dr Comics #1 Journal (2x) - $13 ea

jandrese

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jandrese

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3100/D3100A.HTM

Dave seems to like it. It's lacking a couple of features you might find on a high end phone, but those are mostly for people who have old equipment they want to use on the new body. For someone's first SLR it's great.

lucasatakros

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucasatakros

It depends..... to check go to:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella

Read Ken Rockwell's review of this camera.
If you don't have a DLSR and are looking to try one out, this is a great camera. We have one and it's a solid deal.
I find the menu system on it to be far superior to comparable Canon SLR's.
Get a good prime lens (the new 35mm 1.8 for 200 bucks, for instance) and a bounce flash off ebay and you're set for some time.

Jbortzfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jbortzfield

$4000 watches $500 cameras.... what has happened to Woot?

wootalyzer wrote:Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Nikon 14.2MP SLR w/ 18-55mm Lens Kit
$439.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!