jeremytheindian

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jeremytheindian

For people who are just starting out now you may want to look into Micro Four Thirds systems.

If you don't need a viewfinder you may be better served by an Olympus or Panasonic MFT Camera.

Wootx16-Winex1-Kidsx13-Shirtx20-Selloutx8-Homex1-BOCx2

nelsontom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nelsontom

Thanks for the comments and reviews. Am in for one... my first SLR!

silent7seven

quality posts: 12 Private Messages silent7seven
dcowley wrote:Everything you wanted to know about it from a photographer - Ken Rockwell.

Saying Ken Rockwell is a photographer is like saying a hoarder is a professional curator. His posts are arrogant and oblivious to applied photography.

---------------------------
And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Why go against tradition when we can
Admit defeat, live in decline

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
silent7seven wrote:Saying Ken Rockwell is a photographer is like saying a hoarder is a professional curator. His posts are arrogant and oblivious to applied photography.

Actually, they are just the opposite. People that want to take pictures would be better off with his advice, which is to take pictures and stop obsessing over gear.
But I could see where some photographers would be turned off from things he writes because of the truth behind it.
Because a lot of "photographers" are like the dork here -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEwUnENlc9M
"right, but I have a 1D"
This short little clip says so much, it's amazing.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
Jbortzfield wrote:$4000 watches $500 cameras.... what has happened to Woot?

Another whiner.
"Wah, I can't find anything TODAY on a site that sells stuff. Why won't someone think of ME!!"

kmurphy4000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kmurphy4000

I noticed this only has a 90-day Woot warranty. Why not the standard 1-year Nikon USA warranty? Are these imported/grey market?

kevinhsieh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinhsieh
cdgrimm wrote:I have not used a DSLR. Is it possible to use my old Nikon lens from my film SLR with this camera?

Yes, you can use your older lenses, though you may not have the same functionality. In particular, you won't have autofocus for most older lenses because the older lenses generally use a screw from the camera body to drive the focus mechanism, and the D3100 lacks this screw. To get autofocus, the lens needs to have an internal motor. See http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm#dslr for complete details.

nelsontom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nelsontom

Has anyone received theirs yet?

After a poor shipping experience -- "signature required for delivery," but this was not stated during the purchase process, causing me to go out of my way to the tune of 1.5 hours to a FedEx facility pick the dang thing up -- now I find that Woot failed to include the "Nikon School Fast, Fun, & Easy" DVD per the pictures on the front page.

I've emailed support, but no response yet.

Anyone else not get the instructional DVD?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

nelsontom wrote:Has anyone received theirs yet?

After a poor shipping experience -- "signature required for delivery," but this was not stated during the purchase process, causing me to go out of my way to the tune of 1.5 hours to a FedEx facility pick the dang thing up -- now I find that Woot failed to include the "Nikon School Fast, Fun, & Easy" DVD per the pictures on the front page.

I've emailed support, but no response yet.

Anyone else not get the instructional DVD?

sorry for the hassle. sometimes items are shipped directly from the vendor, which may account for your unfortunate errand. :/

it's also possible that the DVD shipped separately. i am going to send an email over to our service folks & inquire about that now.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.