meestercoy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages meestercoy

I just bought this a few weeks back for the same price on Woot. It has an analog input which I used for my turntable. The signal is very low - at this point, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it to play my vinyl. Still working on it, though. But yes, there is an analog input, though I think it's intended for cd/dvd.

texas1836

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texas1836

I've read before, that you cannot watch tv and listen to the radio at the same time.

Borealis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Borealis
jundaj wrote:Since these are gone the newegg option is great, thanks!

Still in stock for the same price directly from Amazon if you have woot-grets about not deciding sooner.

mollusc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mollusc
dermbrian1 wrote:Now I'm sad. I'm having similar difficulty trying to find a preamp that has tone controls....something that was a basic stereo component 30 years ago...to put in front of my T-amp.

Not sure that I've ever seen a phono stage that had tone controls. Normally they would be on the receiver/preamp, and I'm assuming this thing also them.

sixfofalcon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sixfofalcon

This unit will adapt to a variety of speaker configurations. I'm running it as a 3.0-channel setup. I've got a pair of Pinnacle AC650s wired in series as a center channel, and two Boston Acoustic A-150s as my left and right speakers. Can't say I really miss the sub or surround speakers one bit.

mollusc

meestercoy wrote:I just bought this a few weeks back for the same price on Woot. It has an analog input which I used for my turntable. The signal is very low - at this point, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it to play my vinyl. Still working on it, though. But yes, there is an analog input, though I think it's intended for cd/dvd.

Like any analog audio input that's not specifically marked (or adjustable) for turntable input, you need to use a separate phono preamp to equalise and amplify the turntable signal between your source and your amplifier. Just because the plugs will fit doesn't mean the signal is the right flavour.

dermbrian1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dermbrian1
mollusc wrote:Not sure that I've ever seen a phono stage that had tone controls. Normally they would be on the receiver/preamp, and I'm assuming this thing also them.

Keyword 'preamp'. That's what I'm looking for. And give me a 'Loudness" button while you're at it.

mollusc

dermbrian1 wrote:Keyword 'preamp'. That's what I'm looking for. And give me a 'Loudness" button while you're at it.

In this case, the receiver IS the preamp.
Like I said, I don't think I've seen a phono preamp that had tone controls.

"Preamp" is a bit of a misleading term for a phono stage. A phono stage isn't supposed to do anything other than do the RIAA correction and amplify the signal... unless you're looking at really expensive setups that let you tweak the RIAA curve to your listening preferences.
Tone controls and loudness buttons happen in the actual preamp -- after the turntable signal is adjusted and brought up to line level.