anago

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anago
iissurf wrote:This has been the longest 34 minutes EVAR!

And just think... they're slightly more than half done.

I’m addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn’t matter. -- Steven Wright

paintballove

quality posts: 3 Private Messages paintballove

as tempting as this is, I think just me and my college buddies would be getting wasted to try and get the new high score.

darktide00

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darktide00

See u at pop everyone Happy Turkey Day!

I told you not to bother me while I'm cleaning my Room!

iissurf

quality posts: 25 Private Messages iissurf
anago wrote:And just think... they're slightly more than half done.

Yep, something tells me this is going to switch over at 12AM to a normal Woot! offering.

anago

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anago

When I was in college, there was a bar near me we all would hang out at. They got a breathalyzer bolted to the wall with disposable straws. It became a contest to see who could blow the highest number. Until one night some one took a shot and without swallowing the shot blew into the machine breaking it forever. That bar never got a new one. One drunk apple... We can't ever have nice things.

I’m addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn’t matter. -- Steven Wright

Barac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barac

Take it from a legal professional: This (and all DIY Breathalyzers) are novelty items at best and should NEVER EVER be relied on for making a choice regarding drinking and driving.

There are WAY too many variables that affect a Breathalyzer test for it to reliably and accurately measure BAC--particularly if the Breathalyzer is not a top-of-the-line law enforcement model. That's the primary reason many states are starting to use blood tests rather than Breathalyzer results for DUI prosecutions.

Also keep in mind that in many (probably most) states, one's BAC is only statutory presumption of intoxication, and it is possible to be arrested and charged with DUI/DWI even with a BAC below the supposed "legal limit."

torturegarden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages torturegarden

I blew a .37 on a similar device someone brought to a party. I felt a bit buzzed, but not drunk.

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze
paintballove wrote:as tempting as this is, I think just me and my college buddies would be getting wasted to try and get the new high score.

They be butt-chuggin'?

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

If you feel the need to use one of these to see if you are too drink to drive, just assume that you are and take a cab.

Maybe the wide test range is to make this into a drinking game.

iissurf

quality posts: 25 Private Messages iissurf

Abedebedebedebedebah That's all Folks!

cwipperman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwipperman

I used to work in Law Enforcement and saw many drunks processed with a breathalyzer. I have seen people unable to walk, and they blew a .03 (well under legal limit). But one day we had this "hard core" drunk come in for processing. On his record he had 17 prior dui convictions. He was about 8
72 years old, and walked and talked perfectly normally (but I guess he drove horribly). Anyway, he was tested and blew a .523. Per policy, we called an ambulance, but he couldn't understand why he had to go to the hospital. We told him that his blood alcohol level was so high he could die. He said "I barely started, I am usually much drunker than this". We figured out that he was such a hard core alcoholic that he probably woke up every morning at .25 (3 times limit). Oh yeah, it was about 10 a.m. when he was pulled over.

I have come to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

Bob2559

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bob2559

Did I miss the Woot monkeys or did they not sell them again this Woot Off?

meandsecoya

quality posts: 12 Private Messages meandsecoya
cwipperman wrote:I used to work in Law Enforcement and saw many drunks processed with a breathalyzer. I have seen people unable to walk, and they blew a .03 (well under legal limit). But one day we had this "hard core" drunk come in for processing. On his record he had 17 prior dui convictions. He was about 8
72 years old, and walked and talked perfectly normally (but I guess he drove horribly). Anyway, he was tested and blew a .523. Per policy, we called an ambulance, but he couldn't understand why he had to go to the hospital. We told him that his blood alcohol level was so high he could die. He said "I barely started, I am usually much drunker than this". We figured out that he was such a hard core alcoholic that he probably woke up every morning at .25 (3 times limit). Oh yeah, it was about 10 a.m. when he was pulled over.

You pretty much just described my father. Except, he didn't quite make it to his 70s before developing Alcohol Induced Dementia. Alcoholism sucks ass.

greyham28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greyham28
craigthom wrote:If you feel the need to use one of these to see if you are too drink to drive, just assume that you are and take a cab.

Maybe the wide test range is to make this into a drinking game.

The problem is that I feel the need to use one if I've had even a drop to drink. If I feel altered at all, I know I'm no good to drive, but I one time got pulled over leaving a bar and they asked if I'd been drinking, I (being honest) said, "Yes, I've had 2-3 beers over the last 5 hours." and they arrested me. I blew a .051. Not a DUI, but way higher than I thought given that I'm a 200 lb man and that my last beer had been sipped over the 75-90 minutes prior to my being pulled over. I expected to blow something close to .000.

That said, I invested in the AlcoHawk Pro, and even that thing doesn't seem extremely accurate (even after waiting for 20 minutes after eating/drinking). I definitely wouldn't trust this thing. Or, for that matter, the breathalyzer the police use.

Also, if a cop ever asks if you've been drinking, just say no.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
anago wrote:When I was in college, there was a bar near me we all would hang out at. They got a breathalyzer bolted to the wall with disposable straws. It became a contest to see who could blow the highest number. Until one night some one took a shot and without swallowing the shot blew into the machine breaking it forever. That bar never got a new one. One drunk apple... We can't ever have nice things.

Someone should have beat the living crap out of him.

chriscclark01

quality posts: 23 Private Messages chriscclark01
greyham28 wrote:
Also, if a cop ever asks if you've been drinking, just say no.

Actually, you're well within your legal rights to refuse to answer any questions asked by law enforcement during a traffic stop, with the exception (in some states) of providing your full legal name.

http://www.aclu.org/drug-law-reform-immigrants-rights-racial-justice/know-your-rights-what-do-if-you

cwipperman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwipperman
greyham28 wrote: I definitely wouldn't trust this thing. Or, for that matter, the breathalyzer the police use.

I can't speak for other agencies, but in my city, the breathalyzer is "calibrated", and tested monthly. I think it is state law that it is tested regularly. I have seen people take several tests in a row just to verify results, and I never saw a variance of more that .002%.

As far as you getting a dui at .051, I can only speak for my city, but I think the rules are similar around the country. The "State" has a limit of .08, to be charged with a "state" dui. This only means that over .08, the state can suspend your license. However, there are other limits in my (and most other) city that if you blow over .05, you can be charged with a "municipal" or "city" dui. With this, there is no action taken by the state to suspend a DL. It is important to note that for a person who is between .05, and .08, the suspect has to show "impairment" and the officer has to be able to articulate it in court (ie: failing field sobriety tests, erratic driving, etc.). So, although you must be over .08 for a dui that may cost you your license, blowing over .05 can still get you a dui, but you get to keep your license.

Also, my state and most others have a "Zero Tolerance" for anyone under 21. In Missouri (my state), a person under 21 only has to blow above .02 for a dui charge. This is about 1 beer for most people.

Hope this clears up your situation a little, feel free to ask questions and I'll help to answer as best as I can.

I have come to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

rnatalie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie
jstathomcat wrote:the legal limit is .08. At 0.4, you're in a coma.

I had a patient whose BAC came back .42 one day. He was actually quite lucid. Of course, he'd also been stabbed and was a bit high strung as a result.

0.08 is only the PER SE limit in most states. It means they assume you are intoxicated if you have that much alcohol in you. You can be found guilty of DUI at lower amounts but they have to show signs of intoxication/impairment.

Certified Wine Geek

monstermack77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages monstermack77
Bob2559 wrote:Did I miss the Woot monkeys or did they not sell them again this Woot Off?

nope and no Big ol' Cornucopia either...second Wootoff in a row with no Big ol' Cornucopia
No good.

FGraf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FGraf

I can't belive I didnt read this yesterday!

FGraf

FGraf wrote:I can't belive I didnt read this yesterday!

Everybody,
The holidays are approaching, as is the deadly sin Gluttony.
This company cares about your health. And by "care" I mean "has a financial stake caused by the relationship between health insurance premiums and employee wellness." Last year, the deleterious effects of Thanksgiving dinner on employee health cost the company $240,534.
To address this problem, we are instituting a "Gluttony Payroll Deduction" system, in which wages will be garnished in proportion to overeating. To facilitate this process, I am attaching an Excel spreadsheet that MUST BE FILLED OUT EXHAUSTIVELY BY EVERY EMPLOYEE ON THANKSGIVING DAY. Don't take shortcuts, people -- mark every serving of every food while you eat it, to maximize guilt.
Here is an example, completed spreadsheet:

FGraf

FGraf wrote:Everybody,
The holidays are approaching, as is the deadly sin Gluttony.
This company cares about your health. And by "care" I mean "has a financial stake caused by the relationship between health insurance premiums and employee wellness." Last year, the deleterious effects of Thanksgiving dinner on employee health cost the company $240,534.
To address this problem, we are instituting a "Gluttony Payroll Deduction" system, in which wages will be garnished in proportion to overeating. To facilitate this process, I am attaching an Excel spreadsheet that MUST BE FILLED OUT EXHAUSTIVELY BY EVERY EMPLOYEE ON THANKSGIVING DAY. Don't take shortcuts, people -- mark every serving of every food while you eat it, to maximize guilt.
Here is an example, completed spreadsheet:

I mean Where's the Football? Big ol' Cornucopia!! stupid,stupid ME!

FGraf

monstermack77 wrote:nope and no Big ol' Cornucopia either...second Wootoff in a row with no Big ol' Cornucopia
No good.

LOL.. no we missed it......

FGraf

cwipperman wrote:I can't speak for other agencies, but in my city, the breathalyzer is "calibrated", and tested monthly. I think it is state law that it is tested regularly. I have seen people take several tests in a row just to verify results, and I never saw a variance of more that .002%.

As far as you getting a dui at .051, I can only speak for my city, but I think the rules are similar around the country. The "State" has a limit of .08, to be charged with a "state" dui. This only means that over .08, the state can suspend your license. However, there are other limits in my (and most other) city that if you blow over .05, you can be charged with a "municipal" or "city" dui. With this, there is no action taken by the state to suspend a DL. It is important to note that for a person who is between .05, and .08, the suspect has to show "impairment" and the officer has to be able to articulate it in court (ie: failing field sobriety tests, erratic driving, etc.). So, although you must be over .08 for a dui that may cost you your license, blowing over .05 can still get you a dui, but you get to keep your license.

Also, my state and most others have a "Zero Tolerance" for anyone under 21. In Missouri (my state), a person under 21 only has to blow above .02 for a dui charge. This is about 1 beer for most people.

Hope this clears up your situation a little, feel free to ask questions and I'll help to answer as best as I can.

LOL do you think I can still email them the spreed sheets now BOOWHOO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

drsjr1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages drsjr1

So I take it since no Big ol' Cornucopia were sold, that concept is pretty much dead now?

Bob2559

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bob2559
drsjr1 wrote:So I take it since no Big ol' Cornucopia were sold, that concept is pretty much dead now?

There probably were Big Oafs on Campus sold, but Woot has decided that if you want them you need to constantly follow their Facebook & Twitter feeds to get them.

Because of that I've given up on them, but what the hell has happened to the Woot monkeys?

JohnWooten

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JohnWooten
Bob2559 wrote:There probably were Big Oafs on Campus sold, but Woot has decided that if you want them you need to constantly follow their Facebook & Twitter feeds to get them.

Because of that I've given up on them, but what the hell has happened to the Woot monkeys?

Thanks- I was wondering myself. Been a long time since Woot has carried any number of really fun oddball items, and now that the Big ol' Cornucopia#39;s are on FB & Twitter, I'll stop following Woot like most of my old Wooter buddies already have. Used to be really great dialogues but it's gotten pretty banal.

Lotsa stuff...