ravencajun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravencajun

Oh good glad you had success.

I wanted to mention I am using the free version of Puffin browser and it is amazing, super fast, and much much more touch responsive. Like night and day between stock and Puffin. The free version does a free flash trial but Gives you a code to swap with friends to extend your free time.
I will share my code if anyone wants to try it.
zgkpnhckhgfbb
I like I like it so much I will buy the full version when my time is up.
I Have tried all the big browers including dolphin,opera,Firefox,and puffin is giving me the best input ability,and is wicked fast.
I have no connection with them in fact just found out about it from a friend.

So far I am very happy with my Asus,only minor complaint is I am not quite getting the battery life mentioned in specs, but not bad and I use it on power saver a lot.

damorere

quality posts: 9 Private Messages damorere

Had to send my keyboard back to Asus, but the onboard keyboard isn't too bad (typing this on it). I used the link to the adobe archives and got flash player installed on JB (I also used it to add flash back to my phone so I can see many son's school website again - thanks!), so despite the slow arrival and keyboard issue, I still see this as a very good purchase.

w00teregrine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages w00teregrine
roberttatefan wrote:I'm trying the same thing. I've tried clearing C/DM Client, cold reboot, loading directly to the tab's root directory and also to a Micro SD's directory (I did however, transfer the file to the Micro SD's root via the tablet as I don't currently have access to a card reader).

I've filed an RMA with Asus, but I'm currently thoroughly disappointed. I welcome any advice, but I feel as though I've sufficiently trolled just about every thread on the topic...

You aren't returning it because you can't update it, are you?

Doromb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Doromb

Got mine yesterday. The touchscreen worked for about 2 minutes, then stopped responding to touch entirely. I've tried multiple cold reboots with no luck.
Anyone else having this issue?

omh1009

quality posts: 7 Private Messages omh1009
Doromb wrote:Got mine yesterday. The touchscreen worked for about 2 minutes, then stopped responding to touch entirely. I've tried multiple cold reboots with no luck.

Does the dock work? do you have a Micro SD card to try updating?
If you can successfully update and It works, then it was a software problem. But then again it might brick it. Call ASUS, try to RMA that sucker ASAP. A tablet that doesn't respond to touch is a light up paper weight.

Pinged from Newark NJ, to Fort Worth Texas.

omh1009

w00teregrine wrote:$3.00 cheap enough?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=180-690&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D

That's just an adapter I mean a real cable. Wouldn't the adapter + the head of a HDMI cable put too much weight on the tablet's plug?

Remember to format your links with [-url-] (no dashes) at the begining and [-/url-] (no dashes)
at the end to make them clickable.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=180-690&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D
I was having a hard time getting there before figuring out how to select text on the tablet. Plus it helps the lazy.

omh1009

roberttatefan wrote:I'm trying the same thing. I've tried clearing C/DM Client, cold reboot, loading directly to the tab's root directory and also to a Micro SD's directory (I did however, transfer the file to the Micro SD's root via the tablet as I don't currently have access to a card reader).

I've filed an RMA with Asus, but I'm currently thoroughly disappointed. I welcome any advice, but I feel as though I've sufficiently trolled just about every thread on the topic...

Did you make sure to match the firmware?
Go to Settings>About Tablet>Build Number. Mine, under ICS, was IML74K.US epad_9.4.3.30-20120604.
So I downloaded the US firmware.

What did you use to unzip the firmware download?
I used 7zip (on PC of course). Is free and can extract, unzip, unRAR everything.
The time that it worked, was when I unzipped only once. The download is a zipped folder within a zipped folder.
Put in a micro sd directly IN the tablet (not the dock, as I was doing like an snowman) and the notification should come up very soon... as in right away. It did in my case.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Doromb wrote:Got mine yesterday. The touchscreen worked for about 2 minutes, then stopped responding to touch entirely. I've tried multiple cold reboots with no luck.

hai there. just checking: has this been resolved?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

ziggo84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ziggo84

Has anyone else had this hardware issue?

The tablet and keyboard docked together have been working just fine for about a week. I went to turn it on this morning and I noticed smoke, a small flash, and then a green flame coming out from the lower left connection of the tablet and keyboard. Now when I connect them it will smoke and shut down the tablet.

The keyboard itself has a burnt plastic smell in the top left corner, but nothing appears melted. The tablet itself doesn’t smell, but there appears to be a small blemish in the lower left corner of the screen, under the glass, (where the tablet and keyboard dock meet) where it looks like heat/fire may have been the cause.

I just emailed Asus support. I'll post their response.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ziggo84 wrote:Has anyone else had this hardware issue?

The tablet and keyboard docked together have been working just fine for about a week. I went to turn it on this morning and I noticed smoke, a small flash, and then a green flame coming out from the lower left connection of the tablet and keyboard. Now when I connect them it will smoke and shut down the tablet.

The keyboard itself has a burnt plastic smell in the top left corner, but nothing appears melted. The tablet itself doesn’t smell, but there appears to be a small blemish in the lower left corner of the screen, under the glass, (where the tablet and keyboard dock meet) where it looks like heat/fire may have been the cause.

I just emailed Asus support. I'll post their response.

Smoke and burning is not what you want to experience. Please do keep us posted.

I'm just hanging out, really.

ziggo84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ziggo84
inkycatz wrote:Smoke and burning is not what you want to experience. Please do keep us posted.

From what I've read online, some customers on Amazon have experienced the exact same issue. Fortunately it hasn't occurred to the majority of owners/users. My guess is that there was a batch that went out that might not have been up to the correct quality standards.

I haven't had a reply from ASUS yet, but will certainly keep this topic updated.

What other choices as far as avenues of support do I have to go if ASUS is unresponsive?

inkycatz

ziggo84 wrote:From what I've read online, some customers on Amazon have experienced the exact same issue. Fortunately it hasn't occurred to the majority of owners/users. My guess is that there was a batch that went out that might not have been up to the correct quality standards.

I haven't had a reply from ASUS yet, but will certainly keep this topic updated.

What other choices as far as avenues of support do I have to go if ASUS is unresponsive?

I am so glad you asked!

support@woot.com is your slightly cheerful, hardworking crew that is dedicated to solving your despair, or at the very least, doing their best to minimize your pain.

Please accept this dancing cat for being proactive about your options!

bilski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bilski
omh1009 wrote:Did you make sure to match the firmware?
Go to Settings>About Tablet>Build Number. Mine, under ICS, was IML74K.US epad_9.4.3.30-20120604.
So I downloaded the US firmware.

What did you use to unzip the firmware download?
I used 7zip (on PC of course). Is free and can extract, unzip, unRAR everything.
The time that it worked, was when I unzipped only once. The download is a zipped folder within a zipped folder.
Put in a micro sd directly IN the tablet (not the dock, as I was doing like an snowman) and the notification should come up very soon... as in right away. It did in my case.

I was going to try downloading the firmware update to a USB drive and plugging that into the keyboard but I'm guessing that would work as well as the SD car reader has been for other people. Time to clear some space on my phone's MicroSD it looks like!

rlennons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlennons

So I wish I could say all is better. The good news is that Asus took my keyboard and had it turned around well within the two week fix period. However, now I've spent four days dancing with FedEx about the fact that I can't be home for delivery and they won't drop it off without a signature. It's like the mystery shipping all over again.

Overall I'm pretty irritated that the entire reason I got this tablet has been completely inaccessible for a month now. Hopefully it will be settled by the end of the week and I can finally be done with this debacle.

sweaver32

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sweaver32
leronis wrote:I've done the above, but I'm not getting 'update available' and the card has been in the tablet for a couple of days now.

In case anyone is still reading this... I had trouble updating too. Try putting the update zip in the root folder of the internal memory, not the microsd or sd. Worked for me.

roberttatefan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roberttatefan
sweaver32 wrote:In case anyone is still reading this... I had trouble updating too. Try putting the update zip in the root folder of the internal memory, not the microsd or sd. Worked for me.

That eventually worked for me too. And no, I'm not sending it to Asus for lack of update. I'm sending it to them for a dead headphone jack.

baires60

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baires60

Hi All

I love my Asus and hate to have to send it back but the dock nor the tablet will charge? It is at 3%now. I tried charging directly on the tablet nothing, tried the dock nothing. I can't seem to get the links to customer service to work.DOes anyone have a phone number I can call to get this resolved.
I tried the ac charger with another usb cable to my phone - not the 40 pin adapter and that works so it isn't the wall adapter - maybe the usb cable isn't working but I don't have anything to test that with. I am very bummed about this..Can anyone offer any assistance? How did you get through to cuistomer service - a link isn't helping me. Thanks SLP

inkycatz

baires60 wrote:Hi All

I love my Asus and hate to have to send it back but the dock nor the tablet will charge? It is at 3%now. I tried charging directly on the tablet nothing, tried the dock nothing. I can't seem to get the links to customer service to work.DOes anyone have a phone number I can call to get this resolved.
I tried the ac charger with another usb cable to my phone - not the 40 pin adapter and that works so it isn't the wall adapter - maybe the usb cable isn't working but I don't have anything to test that with. I am very bummed about this..Can anyone offer any assistance? How did you get through to cuistomer service - a link isn't helping me. Thanks SLP

Hey there, please check your private messages (the little envelope by your screen name should take you to there).

Thanks!

Goncalo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Goncalo

Got my tablet back from Asus on Thursday; they actually repaired the headphone jack instead of sending a replacement tablet. It works fine now, and I'm happy with the tablet.

swaziloo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swaziloo

Received my re-refurbished tablet last night from ASUS. Like Goncalo, mine was not replaced, but repaired and returned. At this point I do not see any significant flaws, and for $350 total, have what appears to be a working device - four weeks and $15 additional shipping after purchase.

For those of you who haven't tested your touchscreen, this is a great (free) utility:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.electronmagic&hl=en

SteveDuck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SteveDuck

I also (finally!) received a working tablet last night after spending an extra $12.50 to ship the defective tablet back to Asus. Like the others mine was repaired, not replaced, and seems to be working properly now.

Four frustrating weeks to get a working tablet is not reasonable. I still don't understand why so many defective refurb units were shipped out... it appears Asus can repair them when they try.

EclipseNinja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EclipseNinja
SteveDuck wrote:I also (finally!) received a working tablet last night after spending an extra $12.50 to ship the defective tablet back to Asus. Like the others mine was repaired, not replaced, and seems to be working properly now.

Four frustrating weeks to get a working tablet is not reasonable. I still don't understand why so many defective refurb units were shipped out... it appears Asus can repair them when they try.

Did you get an email or any other notification when ASUS shipped it back to you?

SteveDuck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SteveDuck
EclipseNinja wrote:Did you get an email or any other notification when ASUS shipped it back to you?

Yes, an email with tracking info. In my case the repair (replacing the display/touchscreen) took two days at their Texas facility.

LaMaestra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LaMaestra

I returned my Asus keyboard dock to the Asus return facility because it would not hold a charge. They have had the WORST customer service I have ever experienced!

I got a return merchandise authorization email, returned the part exactly as directed (and had to pay for the shipping), I got delivery confirmation from the USPS that the ASUS return facility received it on Dec 20th ----- since then have had NOTHING BUT GRIEF! They claim that, although the post office confirmation shows the package was received by them, they have no record in their system that it was entered when received, so basically, they say I never returned it. What the...? And twice now I was promised a call from a supervisor to discuss my "complaint" but have received no such contact.

What should I do? I have called at least 4 times now, to get the same run around. I trusted when I bought it that if there was a problem it would be fixed because it was under warranty! And the ASUS representative on the first call (which I made a couple days after receiving the item) assured me that I just needed to mail it back with the RMA number and it would be replaced. Now, because they apparently LOST (?) my return, I'm screwed out of that part of my purchase?

Grrrrr.

roberttatefan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roberttatefan
LaMaestra wrote:I returned my Asus keyboard dock to the Asus return facility because it would not hold a charge. They have had the WORST customer service I have ever experienced!

I got a return merchandise authorization email, returned the part exactly as directed (and had to pay for the shipping), I got delivery confirmation from the USPS that the ASUS return facility received it on Dec 20th ----- since then have had NOTHING BUT GRIEF! They claim that, although the post office confirmation shows the package was received by them, they have no record in their system that it was entered when received, so basically, they say I never returned it. What the...? And twice now I was promised a call from a supervisor to discuss my "complaint" but have received no such contact.

What should I do? I have called at least 4 times now, to get the same run around. I trusted when I bought it that if there was a problem it would be fixed because it was under warranty! And the ASUS representative on the first call (which I made a couple days after receiving the item) assured me that I just needed to mail it back with the RMA number and it would be replaced. Now, because they apparently LOST (?) my return, I'm screwed out of that part of my purchase?

Grrrrr.

I'll add to the frustration:

-Sent Asus the tablet for headphone jack RMA on 12/10
-Delivery confirmation on 12/13
-Called Asus 12/14 as RMA status had not been updated on their website. They lost it....
-Asus magically "finds" the tablet 12/17
-Tablet received by me 1/3. Headphone jack still doesn't work. The problem they "repaired" is unrelated (non-functioning headphone jack is documented in the RMA, my e-mail chain with Asus CS as well as included in a big note, within the physical packaging of the returned product) and they state no fix done/all working.

I'm done. Woot, you've got mail.

dstalcup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dstalcup

As stated before we return to our tablet once for touchscreen problems. After the long wait and cost of shipping and a statement saying no trouble found we got it back and it had a different touchscreen problem. The left one and a half inches of the screen under the Asus logo were spotty in touch. We used two touchscreen test apps and took screen shots. It's been two weeks and I've heard nothing from ASUS. I checked the website and it shows on 3 January they are waiting for customer confirmation for the fact that they found no trouble with the tablet. At least they paid for the shipping for the second RMA. I don't know what to do if they keep telling me there's no problem with it when there clearly are problems. Why would I return it twice for no problems?

pgx2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pgx2

Mine is going back to Asus for the second time for repair of a touch screen problem

xepergod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xepergod

Fyi, I have sent my Asus back twice already.

1. 1/10/2013, sent back due to accelerometer not working. I did several master resets and downloaded programs to test it, and no luck. Luckily they also tested that the LCD screen had issues, so it came back and worked just fine with both the LCD screen and motherboard replaced.

2. 2/21/2013, sent back due to tablet randomly powering off, and would not power back on unless connected to charger for extended amount of time (even if device displayed fully charged before). I did test out the charger and the dock to see if it may have been an issue with either or.

So I'm hoping I no longer have to send it back after these two scenarios.....

omh1009

Got an update yesterday, yay!! Playback of media in browser has improved. App crashes are less frequent . My Flash player side load still works.