beachbumdeac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages beachbumdeac
87xjrob wrote:Tiger direct has this for 329 new and the 32g for 349 new.

Why would you reply with a higher price than the one he posted?

AutobahnSHO

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AutobahnSHO
urslf wrote:Hi all,

I am looking for a laptop/computer/tablet for my 6 grader as a worktool for school work.

This is "MOSTLY" an entertainment device.

YES it has office. You can type, save, send documents. The "powerpoint" doesn't do animations and is very basic, same with the "excel". I planned on doing more office stuff on it (wiht 8,000 line spreadsheets) but it's just so clunky I don't use it much for that.

YES you could type documents and stick them on a thumbdrive or SDcard and carry them to other computers.

NO you cannot print straight from the tablet- but there are lots of apps now that will connect your tablet to a computer on the same wifi and print to that. (you have to install something onto the computer as well.)

I love mine (older TF101 model) and the kids figured it out very quickly. It's mostly games, netflix, and youtube for them. I email and watch movies while traveling on it.

sehkmet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sehkmet

I couldn't resist. I've actually had one of these (or the same family, I don't remember exactly) as an idea for my wish list, and seeing this pop today right before I have to do a lot of traveling fo the Christmas holidays I couldn't resist. Reading the positive reviews of this tablet both here and elsewhere sealed the deal. Excited!

I wonder if you can put a skin on it if you want it to be ~pretty~.

AutobahnSHO

villa79 wrote:Can the keyboard and tablet fold into each other like a normal laptop or does the keyboard only act as a dock? For travelling purposes it would be great if they fold up into each other.

It looks and works just like a laptop when you connect the tablet to the dock. Thus the "transformer" name. changes from a tablet to a small laptop.

AVNGME

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AVNGME

I pulled the trigger as well. All the comments helped in making my decision. My wife and I have been wanting a tablet for a while. Was just not sure what to get. Thanks for all the help!

AutobahnSHO

CopperMSM wrote: I have large video files (4G) I create while travelling. I want to transfer the files from the SD card (using keyboard dock port) to a portable USB hard drive. ..

Would work fine, little slow but manageable. It takes my older TF101 about 5min to copy a bunch of 1GB movies like that.

Would be easiest to make folders and put the files in one folder to transfer. Copying several files at the same time is kind of clunky, but works if they're inside the same folder already.

AutobahnSHO

lukematsuda wrote:i want a tablet to be able to take notes in class on power point and pfd files while following along, and recording audio at the same time. can android do this?

YES but you risk crashing it. The OS is getting much better but it doesn't like too many things at the same time.

When I listen to music while running GPS then try to email It will sometimes freeze the whole thing...

need4mospd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages need4mospd
inkycatz wrote:Links are good.

It looks like it's the dock that's causing most of the reported cracked screens. Plenty of links from the google.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=tf300+dock+cracked+screen

I'll be throwing a couple extra rubber feet on the dock to help support the screen, but I don't think it's something to worry about.

AutobahnSHO

alpatzy wrote:Can you use internet explorer on this tablet?

NO.

The stock browser is Google's, you can load many other Android browsers.

http://lifehacker.com/5925969/five-best-android-web-browsers

grossaim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grossaim

Does anyone know if refurbished tablets and keyboard docks come with new or used batteries?

vittyken

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vittyken

I'm tempted to buy this woot but I need to know if it handles movies while flying in an airplane (If this querie seems out of touch with today that's because I'm still attached to a desktop laptop; plus I don't own a smartphone or IPad).

valiarde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages valiarde

Does anyone know how this handles 720/1080 mkv files, with subtitles? Looking for something to watch anime on and heard great things about the Nexus 7/10, but this is a better price point for what I want.

power3960

quality posts: 0 Private Messages power3960

I would snap one up immediately but my TF101 with it's docking station is still working great. I was so happy with it I bought one for my wife and step daughter.
Great devices for long trips with the extended battery life. I use MX Player for watching movies because it has the ability to view different type of movie formats.

vittyken

vittyken wrote:I'm tempted to buy this woot but I need to know if it handles movies while flying in an airplane (If this querie seems out of touch with today that's because I'm still attached to a desktop laptop; plus I don't own a smartphone or IPad).

What?! This isn't a quality post????

Detasman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Detasman

I also got the Groupon deal just yesterday (new 16g w/o dock) for $270 plus tax. I think I'll stick and here's why.

1) Mine's new with a 1 year warranty.

2) I really don't need a keyboard and if I do I'll get a logitech bluetooth kb for cheap.

3) While nice features, I just don't need the extra battery life, USB port, and sd slot in the Asus dock.

Anyway, that's my rationalization of the day.

The groupon deal is still available in case anyone's interested.

satch69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages satch69

Does this come with a 100-240V adapter? I'd like to buy this for an upcoming trip to India from where I will be working (so the keyboard dock is awesome) but also traveling, taking pictures, and social networking.

Also how long is the boot time? Do android tablets have power features similar to laptops? i.e. sleep, hibernate, shut down? Or is it more of an instant-on type of device?

Also, any idea if the nexus 7 will drop in price soon?

thanks

Am I a man who has just been dreaming that he was a butterfly, or a sleeping butterfly, now dreaming that he is a man?

djssnowgod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djssnowgod

Is there a way to get a longer square trade waranty on this. Possibly up to 3 years.

vittyken

power3960 wrote:I would snap one up immediately but my TF101 with it's docking station is still working great. I was so happy with it I bought one for my wife and step daughter.
Great devices for long trips with the extended battery life. I use MX Player for watching movies because it has the ability to view different type of movie formats.

ok. what is a tf101? does it come with the mxplayer?

urslf

quality posts: 4 Private Messages urslf
AutobahnSHO wrote:This is "MOSTLY" an entertainment device.

YES it has office. You can type, save, send documents. The "powerpoint" doesn't do animations and is very basic, same with the "excel". I planned on doing more office stuff on it (wiht 8,000 line spreadsheets) but it's just so clunky I don't use it much for that.

YES you could type documents and stick them on a thumbdrive or SDcard and carry them to other computers.

NO you cannot print straight from the tablet- but there are lots of apps now that will connect your tablet to a computer on the same wifi and print to that. (you have to install something onto the computer as well.)

I love mine (older TF101 model) and the kids figured it out very quickly. It's mostly games, netflix, and youtube for them. I email and watch movies while traveling on it.

und auch danke hier!
I so far pulled the trigger on one, mostly, since I myself want it ;-]

w00teregrine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages w00teregrine

I just bought one. This is too good to pass up. I've been watching this exact tablet for weeks. My boss has it and I am very familiar with it. I didn't even want the dock. Wal-Mart had a one day sale yesterday for just the tablet @@ $319. Almost bought it. Today, $349.
I am always a little leery of refurbs but as I trust Asus a lot (I have an Asus gaming laptop and an Asus wifi router) I decided it was go time for my credit card. :D

w00teregrine

Boot time is about 45 seconds from cold. It also does sleep, too and wakes up instantly.

Re: Warranty concerns. The thing that really only breaks on these things is: the screen from you dropping it. So in this case the Squaretrade warranty is much better then the factory one.
I didn't get the Square Trade warranty but as many of these as I have broke? I still might....

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
djssnowgod wrote:Is there a way to get a longer square trade waranty on this. Possibly up to 3 years.

Go to squaretrade's website and ask.

w00teregrine

Going to Squaretrade.com they will ONLY warranty NEW tablets, so the answer to a longer warranty is no. You have to get that deal through Woot.

kcm2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcm2

[quote postid="5250233" user="charliecarroll"]Refurbished vs. New - Pricing Thoughts

Refurbished + Warranty
As new in box product would include warranty I am adding Square Trade warranty to today's offer for a total price picture of product including warranty.
$299.99 + $5 + $54.99 = $359.98

Can I get a square trade warranty on a refurb from woot

agardk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agardk
SvenJ wrote:I have this exact unit and wanted to make one comment. It is an Android Tablet so everything you know about that applies. Here's my contribution. The dock does not charge off of 5v, i.e. not USB. The tablet part does. The supplied charger, though the connection is a USB plug, as shown, does deliver 5 AND 15v. Point is you cannot charge the dock with anything but the supplied charger. I bought a spare, just in case.

Just to be clear, you can charge the tablet seperately off of 5v, and while in the dock. The dock however takes 15v.

This is only partly true. You can chanrge both off of a USB 3 port on a computer but not a USB 2 port. Either way though, it will be an agonizingly slow process. The thing just dont provice enough amps. As SvenJ says, you are far better off using teh supplied charger.

ANd if you want extra length, you will need a USB 3 extention, a USB 2 cable will not work.

tmcarr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmcarr
ronfronberg wrote:How does this compare to a chromebook?

It's not really the same at all. This tablet
A. Is a tablet
B. Runs Android so you can use all the apps you bought for your phone.
C. Is a ton more flexible in capabilities IMHO.

The chromebook is just a laptop that only runs chrome basically. I got one of the CR-48's when they sent them out, and I really enjoyed it, but this is a completely different beast.

agardk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agardk
kcm2 wrote:[quote postid="5250233" user="charliecarroll"]Refurbished vs. New - Pricing Thoughts

Refurbished + Warranty
As new in box product would include warranty I am adding Square Trade warranty to today's offer for a total price picture of product including warranty.
$299.99 + $5 + $54.99 = $359.98

Can I get a square trade warranty on a refurb from woot

No. I bought my kid a refurbed Acer tablet from Woot and ST won't warranty it because it's a refurb.

tcbro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tcbro

The price here is real good even if it's refurbished. That's about the only good thing I can say. I paid full price for mine and I wouldn't buy another one. Very difficult to work with, don't believe the battery life claims, they are not even close and my scratch pad crapped out after a few weeks.

satch69

agardk wrote:No. I bought my kid a refurbed Acer tablet from Woot and ST won't warranty it because it's a refurb.

Really? From my ~2 minutes of browsing the squaretrade site, I found this in a sample contract:

"If your item is refurbished and has a US manufacturer's warranty of at least 90 days ("MSP"), this Service Agreement begins upon expiration of manufacturer warranty and lasts for the number of years of coverage you specify at purchase time."

Am I a man who has just been dreaming that he was a butterfly, or a sleeping butterfly, now dreaming that he is a man?

keithbluhm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keithbluhm
michael2255 wrote:Asus makes both. The Nexus 10 does not have a SD slot. The Nexus 10 is new tech and the T300 is not Asus's latest tablet -- the T700. The Nexus has more lines of resolution than even the iPad.

Samsung makes the Nexus 10, Asus makes the 7.

AutobahnSHO

satch69 wrote:Does this come with a 100-240V adapter? I'd like to buy this for an upcoming trip to India from where I will be working (so the keyboard dock is awesome) but also traveling, taking pictures, and social networking.

Also how long is the boot time? Do android tablets have power features similar to laptops? i.e. sleep, hibernate, shut down? Or is it more of an instant-on type of device?

Also, any idea if the nexus 7 will drop in price soon?

thanks

I WISH the Nexus7 would come down, but it's an extremely low price already.

YES the adapters are 110-240v. You would need a wall adapter of course.

Android tablets are like phones- they "sleep" but can also power off all the way if you want. No hibernate, as the time to boot back up isn't that bad and they are meant to "sleep" all the time they're not in use.

cymbalmonkey

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cymbalmonkey

I really want a tablet, but I'm a "high performance" user. Would I be satisfied with this one?

I definitely want an Android operating system and I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. I'm not exactly a klutz, but I'm not very easy on my electronics and I'm scared by this breaking easily.

I'm looking for a netbook replacement for my ailing Acer Aspire One with an intel Atom Processor N450 and 2GB RAM. Will I notice a marked improvement in speed/functionality with this tablet?

Alternatively, should I go with another higher Asus model? Which would be best for someone like me? Storage space isn't a huge issue, but I really like speed and the ability to run 30 tabs at once on Google Chrome, since it's totally vital for my sanity/lackthereof.

Is there an upcoming Transformer model I should just hold out for instead? Are there any Black Friday deals on the "higher end" ones?

Also, can this run Steam games, such as Bastion?

Thanks in advance!

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

AutobahnSHO

cymbalmonkey wrote:I really want a tablet, but I'm a "high performance" user. Would I be satisfied with this one?

I have a similar netbook (ASUS) and the older TF101 tablet with dock- the tablet is way easier/faster to use.

You might want to look at the ASUS TF700. Better display and processor.

muralie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages muralie

Can I cancel an order once its placed? I would like to cancel if possible before it ships, any pointers?

gak0090

quality posts: 83 Private Messages gak0090
alpatzy wrote:Can you use internet explorer on this tablet?

No IE, but there are a ton of different browsers you can install: Chrome, Opera, Opera mini, Maxthon, Dolphin, Firefox, Skyfire, Miren- just to name a few

tewkewl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tewkewl

I was extremely tempted to buy this... BUT... i turned it down.

Why? well. here's the reason. I just got a Nexus 7. it will serve as my primary tablet. which is essentially a game/media/light computing device that is highly portable. I will take this on planes, trains, and automobiles.

However, I will soon get a Windows 8 Pro device. This will be my true PC alternative. I do not believe this Transformer or Android OS has what it takes to take on a dual roll. With Windows 8 (ie surface, or Acer, etc), I get a FULL computer in a tablet. full MS office (this is HUGE)... and other full windows apps, plus the universe of "tablet apps" that will run on windows 8 in the future.

i think the ecosphere will change...

Android: will become much more of a technerd device kinda like how linux and unix are for the PC/server side. It will also be a phone and light computing operating system. The key differentiator will be price. Android devices will be around 200 dollars.

IOS: These will be true sheep products purchased by a core group of Apple Addicted consumers who have I-everything. There will be no other way of justifying the price. Basically, the mac vs pc thing... but with mobile computing.

Windows (8 and beyond): Most computing will be done on devices powered with this OS. everything from work PCs/Laptops to mobile tablets for meetings etc. Ipad will be OUT of this segment in a few short years. They will lose more and more market share. why make an app for stuff, when you already have the full PC version software available? This will cost somewhere between the pricepoint of android and IOs devices although there will be some on the lower and higher end of the spectrum.

Windows 8 has turned mobile computing on its side/head. a unified user experience for phone, tablet, and pc? full productivity software functionality without weirdly formatted copycat compatibles. once the business world goes Windows 8, it will be over for IOS. MY prediction:

Mobile computing 5 years from now:

MS 60% marketshare Android 30% IOS 10%

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
muralie wrote:Can I cancel an order once its placed? I would like to cancel if possible before it ships, any pointers?

You should be able to cancel it in your "your account" section. If you don't find it, contact support@woot.com as soon as possible.

Thanks!

I'm just hanging out, really.

gak0090

quality posts: 83 Private Messages gak0090
vittyken wrote:ok. what is a tf101? does it come with the mxplayer?

tf101 is the original version of this. I have one of these- great device, but this is definitley better. MX videoplayer is a free android app that will play any video you throw at it.

easeves

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeves
tewkewl wrote:I was extremely tempted to buy this... BUT... i turned it down.

Why? well. here's the reason. I just got a Nexus 7. it will serve as my primary tablet. which is essentially a game/media/light computing device that is highly portable. I will take this on planes, trains, and automobiles.

However, I will soon get a Windows 8 Pro device. This will be my true PC alternative. I do not believe this Transformer or Android OS has what it takes to take on a dual roll. With Windows 8 (ie surface, or Acer, etc), I get a FULL computer in a tablet. full MS office (this is HUGE)... and other full windows apps, plus the universe of "tablet apps" that will run on windows 8 in the future.

i think the ecosphere will change...

Android: will become much more of a technerd device kinda like how linux and unix are for the PC/server side. It will also be a phone and light computing operating system. The key differentiator will be price. Android devices will be around 200 dollars.

IOS: These will be true sheep products purchased by a core group of Apple Addicted consumers who have I-everything. There will be no other way of justifying the price. Basically, the mac vs pc thing... but with mobile computing.

Windows (8 and beyond): Most computing will be done on devices powered with this OS. everything from work PCs/Laptops to mobile tablets for meetings etc. Ipad will be OUT of this segment in a few short years. They will lose more and more market share. why make an app for stuff, when you already have the full PC version software available? This will cost somewhere between the pricepoint of android and IOs devices although there will be some on the lower and higher end of the spectrum.

Windows 8 has turned mobile computing on its side/head. a unified user experience for phone, tablet, and pc? full productivity software functionality without weirdly formatted copycat compatibles. once the business world goes Windows 8, it will be over for IOS. MY prediction:

Mobile computing 5 years from now:

MS 60% marketshare Android 30% IOS 10%

Interesting take, but I'm not so sure. Android is already pretty well-cemented and Windows' mobile OSs keep failing to catch on. I agree that Win8 should make a bit of a splash though, and I like the idea of having full Windows on a tablet (with Surface Pros, etc), largely for legacy apps and games. That said, Microsoft has already announced that Office will be coming out on Android, which could be a major coup.

satch69

tewkewl wrote:I will soon get a Windows 8 Pro device....plus the universe of "tablet apps" that will run on windows 8 in the future...Most computing will be done on devices powered with this OS...in a few short years...full productivity software functionality without weirdly formatted copycat compatibles...

What is a "short" year? Also, keep in mind that these WILL be out of date in a couple of years, just like every other computer today. None of these are reasons to NOT buy this device now.

(I may be biased since I just clicked "I want one")