+ Add a Comment

w00teregrine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages w00teregrine
Zavelin wrote:With forums full of posts about the issue happening when the tablet + dock is being used properly, I wouldn't call it overblown.

Yea, but you know how forums are. People never visit a forum to say "hey, mine works great! No problems!".
I took a good hard look at this yesterday on bosses tab and I just cannot see a flaw in this design. I don't see how that tiny little hinge area could cause enough stress to break that glass. Maybe, if you hard on it and close it with some force maybe...
But we both agree: treat yo' s*** with care! :D

hisstka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hisstka
beachbumdeac wrote:Really? You didn't expect the Thanksgiving holiday to delay things a bit?

Of course I did and even stated I didn't expect immediate shipping.

Compared to other online shippers this is slow, even when you factor in the holiday.

optiguyzimo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages optiguyzimo
w00teregrine wrote:Regarding updates. It may takes a few days to get the OTA update.
You can see it is clearly available here.
http://www.asus.com/Tablet/Transformer_Pad/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_TF300T/#download
Not only did Asus roll out Jelly Bean to these tabs, they rolled out 1 or 2 patches after that to fix various things. Asus is good about updates.

I know that the update is available available, and I downloaded it directly from asus but when I try to manually install it I get the android on its side with the red exclamation mark

Zavelin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zavelin
w00teregrine wrote:The "screen cracking" issue is totally overblown. BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR GEAR. Period.
Re: Support. I've had a good experience with support for my Asus laptop.

Following up on our conversation about the TF300 screen cracking, it seems even the TF700 has issues as well. The cause of the cracking of both models appears to be insufficient support framework within the tablet, particularly in the top-left portion of the tablets. This may explain why cracks tend to start appearing around the area.

This also seems to explain the cracking while the tablet is docked. If you're closing the tablet + dock together by applying pressure near the poorly supported areas of the tablet (again, top left quadrant), the pressure can result in stressing the screen enough to be cracked.

Long story short, it seems you were on the right track about how the dock might play into causing the screen to crack.

My plan was to:

1. Sell the dock.
2. Buy a Gumdrop case.
3. Use my existing tablet stand and bluetooth keyboard.

But wow, that ASUS PC Mode looks GORGEOUS.

geoffgass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geoffgass

for those that received theirs already, where did it ship from and where are you (what state is enough), that'll give us still waiting some idea.

urhos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages urhos
Zavelin wrote:

My plan was to:

1. Sell the dock.
2. Buy a Gumdrop case.
3. Use my existing tablet stand and bluetooth keyboard.

But wow, that ASUS PC Mode looks GORGEOUS.

What in the world is ASUS PC Mode? Not much comes up on google.

Zavelin

urhos wrote:What in the world is ASUS PC Mode? Not much comes up on google.

Sorry for the confusion, I was referencing the PC Mode that activates when the tablet is plugged into the dock.

urhos

Zavelin wrote:Sorry for the confusion, I was referencing the PC Mode that activates when the tablet is plugged into the dock.

No problem. What changes when PC Mode activates?

Zavelin

urhos wrote:No problem. What changes when PC Mode activates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjBCQG0KlE

Check out the video at about 12 seconds in. I'm just like "*gasp* DO WANT".

Only thing is, I'm not sure if that particular desktop layout is custom, or exclusive to the TF700 (that actual tablet you see the PC mode demonstrated on at the 12 second mark).

w00teregrine

Zavelin wrote:
Check out the video at about 12 seconds in. I'm just like "*gasp* DO WANT".

LOL That's just Android man. One advantage of Android over Apple is how customizable it is. That isn't a "special mode" or anything. It looks just like that out of the dock, too.

Only thing is, I'm not sure if that particular desktop layout is custom, or exclusive to the TF700 (that actual tablet you see the PC mode demonstrated on at the 12 second mark).

Again. Not exclusive. You can make your looks just like it. Or better. It's just Vanilla Android.

Zavelin

w00teregrine wrote:Again. Not exclusive. You can make your looks just like it. Or better. It's just Vanilla Android.

The more I listen to you, the more I want to keep the dock.

STOP MAKING LIFE HARD.

/first world problems

urhos

Yeah. That's just the beauty of android. Funny.

Anyone have any tips on how to prevent screen cracking with the dock? I'm looking for specifics besides being careful.

rowergirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowergirl
geoffgass wrote:for those that received theirs already, where did it ship from and where are you (what state is enough), that'll give us still waiting some idea.

Haven't received mine yet, but the UPS alert I received showed it shipping from CT. It's supposed to be on my doorstep in VA today.

Zavelin

urhos wrote:Yeah. That's just the beauty of android. Funny.

Anyone have any tips on how to prevent screen cracking with the dock? I'm looking for specifics besides being careful.

When closing the tablet while attached to the dock, close by applying pressure to the middle of the tablet.

Many people have a tendency to close their laptops by grasping a corner of the screen and pulling the screen to rest on top of the keyboard. If the top-left portion of the tablet is indeed a weak spot, then avoiding the use of pressure around the area should help avoid cracking.

satch69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages satch69
urhos wrote:Yeah. That's just the beauty of android. Funny.

Avoid opening/closing the screen over the keyboard when connected. And avoid storing the combination in a closed configuration. Always separate the two before storing / transporting.

in other words, don't do what the guy does in the beginning of the video posted above

Am I a man who has just been dreaming that he was a butterfly, or a sleeping butterfly, now dreaming that he is a man?

w00teregrine

Zavelin wrote:The more I listen to you, the more I want to keep the dock.

LOL
YOU DON'T NEED THE DOCK. IT'S A GIMMICK! :D
Better?

But it IS nice when you plan to do a TON of typing. BUT, Really the onscreen keyboard is just fine. ;)

I will disagree with "don't transport your tablet closed". You certainly can transport it closed up with the dock. Just use caution. Don't throw it in a briefcase where it is going to get knocked around. You want to travel with it in a way that it is secure. Well.. pretty much what I would suggest with any tablet, though.
There are some REALLY nice cases out there that support the system docked together.

w00teregrine

optiguyzimo wrote:I know that the update is available available, and I downloaded it directly from asus but when I try to manually install it I get the android on its side with the red exclamation mark

Can you walk me through exactly what you did? /Tryingtohelp

chiefwun45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chiefwun45

I bought the tablet the day before thanksgiving and im still waiting for shipping confirmation. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with shipping.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
chiefwun45 wrote:I bought the tablet the day before thanksgiving and im still waiting for shipping confirmation. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with shipping.

We like to allow up to five business days for shipping and processing, if that helps.

Of course, any concerns you may have can be directed towards support@woot.com, but please be advised they will take a business day or two to get back to you.

Hang in there!

I'm just hanging out, really.

teslaian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teslaian
chiefwun45 wrote:I bought the tablet the day before thanksgiving and im still waiting for shipping confirmation. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with shipping.

Yes.

Zavelin

inkycatz wrote:We like to allow up to five business days for shipping and processing, if that helps.

Of course, any concerns you may have can be directed towards support@woot.com, but please be advised they will take a business day or two to get back to you.

Hang in there!

Look, I really don't see what's so hard about this. I bought it, and I want it now. Not in five business days, not at your earliest convenience. Now. Pronto. Ahora. Strap my tablet on a flock of African swallows, insure the ever-loving f*** out of that package, and get my order out of the warehouse.

I paid damn good money for a refurbished, second-hand product. As such, I'm entitled to have first class, white glove, overnight service.

I don't want to hear excuses about "Waaaaah, it's Thanksgiving, I'm spending times with the ones I love and cherish."

Put that turkey in a brown paper bag and get it to go. I'm a paying customer, and the customer is always right.

Get your act together, Woot.

I almost didn't want to put a note explicitly stating that this was sarcasm, just to see how believable it was.

dasnoffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasnoffer
teslaian wrote:Yes.

Yes, but looks like some are starting to ship

sehkmet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sehkmet
Zavelin wrote:Look, I really don't see what's so hard about this. I bought it, and I want it now. Not in five business days, not at your earliest convenience. Now. Pronto. Ahora. Strap my tablet on a flock of African swallows, insure the ever-loving f*** out of that package, and get my order out of the warehouse.

I paid damn good money for a refurbished, second-hand product. As such, I'm entitled to have first class, white glove, overnight service.

I don't want to hear excuses about "Waaaaah, it's Thanksgiving, I'm spending times with the ones I love and cherish."

Put that turkey in a brown paper bag and get it to go. I'm a paying customer, and the customer is always right.

I almost didn't want to put a note explicitly stating that this was sarcasm, just to see how believable it was.

After some of the posts I saw in another Woot just after Hurricane Sandy? I ALMOST thought you were serious. Almost.

aherrman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aherrman
w00teregrine wrote:LOL
There are some REALLY nice cases out there that support the system docked together.

Any that you'd recommend? I've been looking around a bit and haven't found any that have impressed me much...

w00teregrine

Justin from Woot wrote me back and said mine has been shipped. I assume as has been said we will get this before we get tracking numbers. lol

w00teregrine

Boss has the "Roo Case".

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Multi-Angle-Leather-Transformer-10-1-Inch/dp/B00547IQCS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1354129316&sr=8-4&keywords=Transformer+case

He likes it a lot. I like the Fit and Finish. He paid $40.

I haven't seen the Asus Moko in person, but boss #2 has the Moko for his iPad. I like it a little better then the Roo.

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Slim-Fit-Transformer-10-1-Inch-Multi-Angle/dp/B0063Q3G3I/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1354129316&sr=8-10&keywords=Transformer+case

teslaian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teslaian
Zavelin wrote:Look, I really don't see what's so hard about this. I bought it, and I want it now. Not in five business days, not at your earliest convenience. Now. Pronto. Ahora. Strap my tablet on a flock of African swallows, insure the ever-loving f*** out of that package, and get my order out of the warehouse.

I was about to say... hello mr. grinch.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

optiguyzimo

w00teregrine wrote:Can you walk me through exactly what you did? /Tryingtohelp

Ok, so first I check for the ota update and get nothing, the go to asus web sight find the latest update for the U.S. Tf300t download it, extract and place it in the root of my sd card, shut down reboot holding volume and power at same time, press volume up at recovery, it looks like it starts to update then I get anbroid on its side.

dravec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dravec

Finally broke down and submitted a support ticket on my ASUS today also. They charged my credit card on the 22nd, so I've been financing Woot's back-order for about a week. I'm sure people will bark that this is expecting too much too soon-- I don't necessarily need my product in-hand right now, but c'mon in a week you can at least provide a tracking number or a status update on how long the back-order is, right?

Lots of people have said that they ask for 5 business days to process. Where do you get that info? Why isn't that either on the FAQ at www.woot.com/faq or displayed on the standard shipping options when you purchase? If I had known that at the time of order I'd have considered shipping 2-day.

If I get a satisfactory reply from support today, I'd like to buy these knives-- and probably have them ship 2-day.

optiguyzimo

w00teregrine wrote:Can you walk me through exactly what you did? /Tryingtohelp

Ok, so first I check for the ota update and get nothing, the go to asus web sight find the latest update for the U.S. Tf300t download it, extract and place it in the root of my sd card, shut down reboot holding volume and power at same time, press volume up at recovery, it looks like it starts to update then I get anbroid on its side. Sorry for the duplicate post

tyimez2112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tyimez2112

As I "patiently" await shipping. My first Woot! purchase and first tablet. I have searched every review and accessory I can find. I am debating between these two cases because you can use them with the keyboard attached. Anybody have experience with silicone cases?
http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Transformer-TF201T-Pad300-TF300T/dp/B008B0XQ02/ref=sr_1_64?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354033238&sr=1-64&keywords=asus+transformer+tf300

Also this one:
http://www.handhelditems.com/keyboard-case-with-slim-portfolio-stand-cover-asus-transformer-tf300-carbon-fiber-p-188772.html

Thanks for any insights

rackbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rackbob
tyimez2112 wrote:As I "patiently" await shipping. My first Woot! purchase and first tablet. I have searched every review and accessory I can find. I am debating between these two cases because you can use them with the keyboard attached. Anybody have experience with silicone cases?
http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Transformer-TF201T-Pad300-TF300T/dp/B008B0XQ02/ref=sr_1_64?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354033238&sr=1-64&keywords=asus+transformer+tf300

Also this one:
http://www.handhelditems.com/keyboard-case-with-slim-portfolio-stand-cover-asus-transformer-tf300-carbon-fiber-p-188772.html

Thanks for any insights

Give this one a look.. Waiting for mine too arrive.... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00832SKWM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

w00teregrine

optiguyzimo wrote:Ok

Damn. I was hoping you were missing somehting simple. SOunds like you're doing it right. What version of Android is on the tab right now???

w00teregrine

The BobJ protective case is good. Gets good reviews.
But that and the GumDrop to me add to much bulk.
I like the kind like the HHI one that was posted.

But if you're clumsy, get the BobJ or Gumdrop. I should. I am clumsy. Broken 3 phones and 2 tabs. BUT I like this things because of how slim and sexy they are. Hate to bulk them up.

rackbob

TwhiT wrote:soo.... what does it mean when the "I want one" button begins to glow on and off? Any ideas??

Item is nearly sold out!!!

bretdwilliams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bretdwilliams
optiguyzimo wrote:Ok, so first I check for the ota update and get nothing, the go to asus web sight find the latest update for the U.S. Tf300t download it, extract and place it in the root of my sd card, shut down reboot holding volume and power at same time, press volume up at recovery, it looks like it starts to update then I get anbroid on its side. Sorry for the duplicate post

I think the problem is that you are extracting the update file. Leave it as a .zip file and it should work fine.

rackbob

monojkumar wrote:Hey can anyone help me out here. I have bought ASUS this morning but didn't get any e-mail regarding its shipping details. Also my purchase was not listed under the "stuff I bought" coloumn. I notified the customer care but didn't get reply. Any suggestions???

Give it a bit to show up under "stuff I bought" Mine took a day.. As for the shipping/order status email, forget it. Seems no one got one. And from what i
I've read from others, the shipping either never changes, or does so after arrival..

irishguywi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irishguywi

I don't disagree, but the frustrating part is that other items I purchased on the same day have shipped and been received. If all had not shipped, it would not *hurt* so much.

/not really complaining, just excited.

rodea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rodea

Does anyone else remember a time when we ordered online and waited, not one hour, not even one day, but often almost a week to get shipping information? And then there was another 3+ days of wondering where it was? what has happened to us? Now we all whine and moan when in 5 days a product is not here yet. Yes, I would love to get shipping confirmation and tracking information by now. However we know Woot is reputable, many of us (63%) have already purchased from woot!I am hoping that when I get home tonight I wil see a package waiting for me, as most of the time Woot sends or posts my tracking information right around the time I am playing with my new purchase. This could really use to be fixed for the record. Amazon has ruined us for shipping. sometimes I can get a product from amazon faster than I could from a local store given my work hours and next day shipping. But, 63% of us should stop hating on Woot! we know that our tablets are coming.