WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Settle a different office argument for us. Who's the best?
  • 13.7% - Annie Lennox 595
  • 12.8% - Tina Turner 556
  • 29.3% - Aretha Franklin 1269
  • 5.4% - Ann Wilson 236
  • 3.1% - Roberta Flack 136
  • 4.2% - Sade 184
  • 3.9% - Kate Bush 169
  • 13.3% - Joan Jett 577
  • 14.1% - Adele 609
4331 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

bdsmonkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdsmonkey

I voted for Annie Lennox. Completely coincidentally, Pandora is playing Sweet Dreams! Even without the current soundtrack, that would have been my vote, to be clear.

lobo81865

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lobo81865

Ann Wilson all the way. Where is Pat Benatar?

malebaba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malebaba

Aretha. This is a question?

lonelypond

quality posts: 461 Private Messages lonelypond

Thank you : ) Tough call, but Joan Jett narrowly beats out the amazingness of Annie Lennox by virtue of I've actually seen Jett in concert and she kicked ass. Pure stripped down rock and roll.

Love mysteries? Want a mix of gay + straight characters? With a bit of Poe? Try my book, darn it ; ) In The Bleak December.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Show me ANYONE else who could do this, and maybe there could be a competition. Y'all put up a bunch of entertaining unarmed children against a professional gunslinger!

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew

It's just naked trolling to suggest some of these perfectly adequate performers could even possibly contend with Tina.

brumagem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brumagem

Adele's music is okay, but whenever I hear her voice I think OH GOD IN FIVE YEARS SHE'S GONNA SOUND LIKE A LAWNMOWER

threemoons

quality posts: 19 Private Messages threemoons

Voted for Kate just because she was listed...as a friend of mine said when I gave him some obscure Kate Bush to listen to, "that's redundant; ALL Kate Bush is obscure Kate Bush."

FWIW her "Directors Cut" set is awesome.

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu
lobo81865 wrote:Ann Wilson all the way. Where is Pat Benatar?

Good Question!

Ah, the hell with it.

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu
threemoons wrote:Voted for Kate just because she was listed...as a friend of mine said when I gave him some obscure Kate Bush to listen to, "that's redundant; ALL Kate Bush is obscure Kate Bush."

FWIW her "Directors Cut" set is awesome.

I have been a fan of Kate Bush since 1981...

Ah, the hell with it.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

I wouldn't Respect the results of this thread if Aretha wasn't on top.

I wonder if she'll be there again for Obama's re-inauguration. Perhaps with an even more ridiculous hat.

Tina is such a close second.

I spent roughly a month singing "Into the West" nonstop by Annie Lennox (on the LOTR: ROTK Soundtrack) after seeing the film because it's just so lovely and her voice complements the theme of the song so well.

lawrenga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lawrenga

In this case Aretha. But if Reba had been on here that would be a real woman!!!

moles1138

quality posts: 27 Private Messages moles1138
ardubu wrote:I have been a fan of Kate Bush since 1981...

Since '84
I think the closest she has come to a hit is "Don't Give Up" on Peter Gabriel's "So" or maybe Maxwell's cover of "This Woman's Work" which was sung on American Idol.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

ellenneiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellenneiger

Where's Patsy? And can I throw in Freddy Mercury? Just watched Queen at Live Aid and David Bowie w Annie Lennox and Queen... What can I say- I was shopped out by Saturday!

holychit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages holychit

You can't compare them all together, they each had their own niche. Compare each in her own class then ask who's above the pack.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

Oh Yes Aretha, She is getting the R-E-S-P-E-C-T she deserves so far this morning. But I have to say Turner and Lenox are worth a second mention to go along with my vote.

CatCK

quality posts: 52 Private Messages CatCK

Today is Tina Turner's 73rd birthday. :-)

However, for this poll, I choose Aretha. But, Tina and Annie Lennox are close behind.

riffraf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riffraf
moles1138 wrote:Since '84
I think the closest she has come to a hit is "Don't Give Up" on Peter Gabriel's "So" or maybe Maxwell's cover of "This Woman's Work" which was sung on American Idol.

Since 1978...

Maybe in the US... In the UK, "Wuthering Heights," her debut at age 16, hit number 1 and stayed there for weeks.

mummert1982

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mummert1982

Pat Benatar! Why is she not on the list?

Phoulmouth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Phoulmouth

If Joan Jett doesn't win this poll I may have to come blow up Woot HQ.

PyxienTX

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PyxienTX

I happen to like all of the female vocalists on the list, but Franklin wins the top prize. I agree with the above statement that every one had their own niche, but Aretha could belt it out better than any of the others.

+1 on Kate Bush, since '82. Should have mentioned Siouxie Sioux, Diamanda Galas, and Johnette Napolitano if you want really obscure. Athough, Kate wins out of those.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Merrill Garbus

If that performance doesn't knock your socks off, well I just don't know.

capsfanbryce

quality posts: 4 Private Messages capsfanbryce

It's almost a shame that the rest of these ladies had to go up against Aretha. The Queen of Soul wins this competition hands down.

02hdrider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 02hdrider

I agree. We saw Tina at the Greek Theater and she put on one hell of a show.

billlewis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billlewis

Discover Kate Bush folks……..:-=)

GinMan69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GinMan69

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzRA9UzuU8c&feature=fvwrel

Ain't no WAY, Aretha can be anything other than Numero Uno!

prfesser

quality posts: 7 Private Messages prfesser

The poll is invalid. No Pat Benatar and no Carly Simon? You have no taste.

docharrigan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages docharrigan

Etta James!

new2it2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages new2it2

I only selected Adele cause Grace Slick was not among the choices.

chimpygomonkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chimpygomonkey

Aretha is the best.

Da bes, on the other hand...

creolerose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages creolerose
chimpygomonkey wrote:Aretha is the best.

**I would have liked the 2 guys to do a real sword fight **

creolerose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages creolerose

This is a very good office argument but I really can't make a choice!

It's a toss up between Annie Lennox, Aretha Franklin & Tina Turner....

I suppose it comes down to the type of music one likes the best....

I grew up listening to these 3 ladies & like someone else said, I would have added Etta James to the list.

Your office sounds like a great place to be

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

chimpygomonkey wrote:Aretha is the best.

furthermore, he can make those rifles burss! [swag].

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

maxikyd

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maxikyd

Can't believe other people know who Kate Bush is. Been a fan since 1979. Never see her stuff in the U.S.

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
ellenneiger wrote:Where's Patsy? And can I throw in Freddy Mercury? Just watched Queen at Live Aid and David Bowie w Annie Lennox and Queen... What can I say- I was shopped out by Saturday!

I second the nod for Patsy. And I throw in Enya as well. What the hell woot?

Cathedryl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cathedryl

If you were to remove Aretha from human history, at least 3 of the other names would disappear, as they pull their sound from the the queen of SOUL...The Original.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime
maxikyd wrote:Can't believe other people know who Kate Bush is. Been a fan since 1979. Never see her stuff in the U.S.

Really??? She was pretty darn successful in the U.S. during the 80's. If you have an album go gold, you are hardly toiling in obscurity.

wierpann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wierpann

What! No Janice Joplin? This poll is rigged!

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

Just pointing out that "the best" is a pretty generic question.. If the question who is the "best singer", there is no way way Joan Jett should even be on the poll. There was a reason the Runaways didn't turn over the lead singe duties to her until they got in a pinch. And I say this as someone who loves Joan Jett's music.

The guy poll seemed to favor the great voices (Freddie Mercury, Roger Daltery) while disdaining those that were merely great performers (Mick Jagger is an iconic performer and he and Keith Richards were great song writers, but the fact remains that he is a mediocre singer)

In this one, the 2 best voices (Ann Wilson and Roberta Flack) aren't getting much love. And I don't blame anybody for this. I think Roberta Flack has a great voice, but I just don't care for her music at all.