chazzan1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chazzan1

Most polls are useless, but c'mon, Ann Wilson and Roger Daltrey are still the best voices in rock, and everyone else is playing for 6-10.

gstucker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gstucker

Best singer? Aretha

Best recording artist? Aretha again; count the number ones. Not even close.

Best live performer? Depends on your taste. I'd go with Tina. Joan Jett, Ann Wilson, and as some mentioned, Pat Benatar, are very entertaining performers ( I've seen them all live), but not exceptionally talented singers like the others on the list. By that criterion, I'd include Melissa Etheridge, Celia Cruz, Etta James...

Interesting to include Roberta Flack and Kate Bush, who deserve inclusion even though their carreers may have languished.

If it's pure pop singing talent you're rating, I'd include Linda Ronstadt, Natalie Merchant, the Roches, Dolly Parton.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

this...is...no ordinary poll
no ordinary poll...

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime
gstucker wrote:
Best live performer? Depends on your taste. I'd go with Tina. Joan Jett, Ann Wilson, and as some mentioned, Pat Benatar, are very entertaining performers ( I've seen them all live), but not exceptionally talented singers like the others on the list.

Taste is indisputable, if somebody appeals to you then they are good by your definition. But to say Ann Wilson and Pat Benatar aren't exceptionally talented singers is bona fide nuts. Benatar shocked her teachers at Julliard when she rejected a career in classical music.

mona65

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mona65

It was a BIG toss up between Tina Turner and Aretha Franklin. Both are fantastic. But, I voted for Tina Turner. She demands RESPECT. Along with respect comes feel of authority.
Ofcourse, my second one would have been Aretha Franklin. She is great. Love them both.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
strawhousepig wrote:Merrill Garbus

If that performance doesn't knock your socks off, well I just don't know.

You got me,I thought you were serious !

psibur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psibur

Joan Jett because who else in that list would win in a Royal Rumble?

usanettom

quality posts: 11 Private Messages usanettom

I r-e-s-p-e-c-t Aretha (sorry, had to be done), but after listening to Adele, I've never heard a voice like hers. She has such a natural singing voice that it seems like it takes no effort at all, including live. I'm not a huge fan of what she sings (I like a few songs), but I am blown away by her voice. She wins, hands down.

tp1tlw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tp1tlw

Tina had #1 songs in four different decades.

tp1tlw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tp1tlw

Tina had #1 songs in four different decades.

ubergeek8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ubergeek8

Imma have to vote for Joanna Newsom

el_jefe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages el_jefe

Better question would have been who is #2 behind A.F.

Wellington Cabernet Collecton Trio + 1, Fess Parker 2005 Viognier Trio, Mosaic Sonoma White Quartet, Hall Wines 2004 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Duo, Monkey Prize, a Woot Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon, Hagafen Cellars Napa Valley Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Pepper Bridge Vineyard 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon, Foppiano Alexander Valley 2002 Sangiovese Quartet, Foley Vineyards Santa Ynez Valley 2001 Merlot Trio, Abandon 2004 Sonoma Chardonnay Quartet, St. Supéry 2000 Cabernet Sauvignon / Merlot Sampler

et1970

quality posts: 0 Private Messages et1970
lobo81865 wrote:Ann Wilson all the way. Where is Pat Benatar?

How about Stevie Nicks?

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

adele is the only name on that list I have seen before, and I don't like her music.

Edit: I didn't see Aretha Franklin the first time.

Still single, can't imagine why.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
gusvonpooch wrote:You got me,I thought you were serious !

110% percent serious. Girl's got pipes and pumps a truckload of emotion through them.