0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Magellan 4.7" GPS Lifetime Maps/Traffic
$79.99 + $5 Standard OR $14 Two-Day OR $19 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

TinFoil

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TinFoil

Is there a large market for GPS devices any longer? I'd think between smartphones and built-in car GPS, paying $80 for a turn-by-turn GPS seems... silly.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

TinFoil wrote:Is there a large market for GPS devices any longer? I'd think between smartphones and built-in car GPS, paying $80 for a turn-by-turn GPS seems... silly.

My old car doesn't have one built in. I like having a stand-alone GPS for trips because they give more info such as lane guidance and speed limits. (Note, I don't know that this one does these. Just examples.)

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tygyuy829

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tygyuy829

how is this different from a wootoff? just more stock of each item?

nathanrburgess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanrburgess

So how does it obtain the traffic information each morning? Does it beam from the sky as well? That seems silly.

ThunderThighs

Staff

tygyuy829 wrote:how is this different from a wootoff? just more stock of each item?

Ehhhhhhhhhh, not really. We're just selling a few things today. New item every 6 hours unless it sells out before that.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

micahfishes

quality posts: 6 Private Messages micahfishes

Having a stand alone GPS is still great. You can not use your phone GPS if you have no cell service, like in the mountains. Most people can afford this unit over getting a automobile trim package that has a built in GPS. If you have an iPhone, then you already know how frustrating apple maps is. Plus my gps keeps track of my mpg and price per gallon to give my very nerdy stats for me to geek over at the end of every trip!

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
TinFoil wrote:Is there a large market for GPS devices any longer? I'd think between smartphones and built-in car GPS, paying $80 for a turn-by-turn GPS seems... silly.

having used smartphone nav, it seems like a joke. losing gps signal and having it pause as if you came to a stop, then jumping to your current position...all the time, one missing all the crucial turns. I admit I use a car based unit with dead reckoning capability, but when I used those standalone units, they never had all the odd quirks.

drdimensio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drdimensio

I refuse to use a smart phone for GPS. I like this one because of the lifetime traffic and map updates.

Australia_

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Australia_

thats a weird looking phone.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

The worst Garmin is still better than the best of most everything else. Maybe this unit is the exception but frankly it isn't worth the $79.00 to risk it. It seems the very fact that Woot hardly (if ever) even offers a Garmin is a testament to how good they are as they don't have to resort to Woot to sell off "last years model" or get rid of excess inventory at some reduced rate.

I think there is alot of merit in a stand alone GPS unit. I have four on my smart phone and the best one of the bunch still doesn't respond as quick, with realistic routes that make sense, corrects quickly when you make a wrong turn as a Garmin.

Happy wooting everyone!

LaKASkill

quality posts: 17 Private Messages LaKASkill

Ummmm, surely Woots doing more then just this for cyber Monday..

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Lifetime Maps and Traffic? Sounds handy, especially since I just spent 8 hours in Holiday Traffic.

Pretty sure that could have been cut down to 7 Had I known some side routes a little better.

Here it is on the magellan website You can find Accessories and software that way.

MaxAwesome

quality posts: 9 Private Messages MaxAwesome
micahfishes wrote:Having a stand alone GPS is still great. You can not use your phone GPS if you have no cell service, like in the mountains. Most people can afford this unit over getting a automobile trim package that has a built in GPS. If you have an iPhone, then you already know how frustrating apple maps is. Plus my gps keeps track of my mpg and price per gallon to give my very nerdy stats for me to geek over at the end of every trip!

Check out Nokia Drive+ on the Lumia 920 and Lumia 810/820/822 phones. You definitely can download maps ahead of time and get GPS nav when you're out of service area for data/cell signal.

mcdull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdull
showcaller wrote:It seems the very fact that Woot hardly (if ever) even offers a Garmin is a testament to how good they are as they don't have to resort to Woot to sell off "last years model" or get rid of excess inventory at some reduced rate.

I guess woot is the only deal web site you go to? Garmin GPS for $100 or less has regularly appeared in other deal sites.

mcdull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdull
MaxAwesome wrote:Check out Nokia Drive+ on the Lumia 920 and Lumia 810/820/822 phones. You definitely can download maps ahead of time and get GPS nav when you're out of service area for data/cell signal.

Too bad that many people thought the crappy Google Map on iPhone was the first GPS map app on smartphone.

I've been using DOWNLOADED maps on Nokia phones since N95 for 5 years. And free turn by turn voice navigation for 3 years, well before Android has it. I use it even overseas without cell signal, it will take longer about 2 minutes to lock on the first location without data connection.

TheFlatline

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TheFlatline

I picked this up about a month ago when it came around and have been very pleased with it.

Lifetime maps are limited to 4 updates per year, and traffic can take upwards of 20 minutes to sync over the air (and only if you use the car adapter that comes with the kit). There's a pre-wake function so that you can "warm up" the traffic off the battery if you want, but I live far enough out of the metropolitan coverage area that 20 minutes of a drive in isn't that big of a deal. Note that there are advertisements that turn on and can't be turned off if you use traffic. I haven't seen them yet to tell you how annoying they are, but I think they're banner ads, and probably a good part of why it takes so goddamn long to receive a traffic report.

It includes bluetooth, which is very nice, and the call quality is excellent. However, it does *not* sync with an iPhone that I can tell to download the phone book. It may be because I'm sync'd with an exchange server but I dunno.

However, being able to dial POI directly from the unit is awesome, the volume is nice, and it apparently has some noise cancellation in it, as I've been told that the call quality is quite good.

It lacks the higher end bells and whistles, but for under 100 bucks, this unit has great features for it. If you're a road warrior, or travel a lot like I do, it's great to have a really good dedicated GPS unit that you can chuck in your bag and throw into a car rental. Incidentally, it's also replacing a Magellan I bought about 4 years ago off of Woot, after working without issue.

d4tonyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d4tonyd
nathanrburgess wrote:So how does it obtain the traffic information each morning? Does it beam from the sky as well? That seems silly.

Traffic comes in on an FM signal. Major roads are covered. No need for cell phone coverage.

Ill By N E Thing

d4tonyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d4tonyd
TheFlatline wrote:I picked this up about a month ago when it came around and have been very pleased with it.

Lifetime maps are limited to 4 updates per year,

4 updates a year is more than sufficient. Really, how often do roads change. I have 7 year old maps in my car navigator, and that is good 99% of the time. Mazda wants about $300 to update. I believe Garmin gets about $75 per update for non-lifetime maps.

Ill By N E Thing

metzler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages metzler

My car's built in GPS works great if the roads/businesses existed in 2005. Too bad the updates cost $300. This is a smoking deal with the updates.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

89.98 and free shipping from Amazon or 84.99 with shipping from woot. I prefer Amazons easy return policy and support for the extra $5.That being said the reviews on Amazon for it are mediocre at best.

ThunderThighs

Staff

dliidlii wrote:89.98 and free shipping from Amazon or 84.99 with shipping from woot. I prefer Amazons easy return policy and support for the extra $5.That being said the reviews on Amazon for it are mediocre at best.

The one I see for $89.98 is a different model (2045). The one for $89.99 doesn't have Lifetime Maps.

PS: Links are useful to verify information.

FORUM MODERATOR

dliidlii

ThunderThighs wrote:The one I see for $89.98 is a different model (2045). The one for $89.99 doesn't have Lifetime Maps.

PS: Links are useful to verify information.

IT has lifetime maps and IS the same model number ending in t-lm.t for traffic and lm for lifetime maps
http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-RoadMate-2045T-LM-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0052D38UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353921329&sr=8-1&keywords=magellan+2045t
There are 3 options on the page but click on the correct model number and you will see the price.

pickaberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pickaberry

Anyone know if the traffic info function works in Canada.

ThunderThighs

Staff

dliidlii wrote:IT has lifetime maps and IS the same model number ending in t-lm.t for traffic and lm for lifetime maps
http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-RoadMate-2045T-LM-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0052D38UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353921329&sr=8-1&keywords=magellan+2045t
There are 3 options on the page but click on the correct model number and you will see the price.

It's Model # 2045 though which is 3.5". We are selling the 3065 which is 4.7".

FORUM MODERATOR

jimbobjoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimbobjoe

I also bought this a few weeks ago when it was last on woot.

It's...ok.

I haven't been able to use its bluetooth feature much, because for some reason it's having problems with my iphone 3G, but the phone is so old and troublesome it might be the problem with the phone, I've tried a 4S with it and that seems to work.

The directions it gives are...ok. Often I find that it is a little circuitous in how to route things in town centers. In comparison to what I'll try in google maps this device may add 10% distance (though in some situations that extra distance goes through dense areas so it's more than just 10% time.)

I'm not sure if mine isn't working perfectly, but it's often not exact with addresses. I run delivery routes, and it often calls the address ("you have arrived at 123 main street") about 2-4 houses away from 123 main street. In contrast, Apple Maps on the iphone 4S seems to hit the address every time.

There is something about the display that doesn't tell you a turn is coming up as soon as you need to know. It's fine with voice on, the voice gives you the head up, but with voice off you have to watch the distance to the intersection and get yourself prepared when it says the turn is .2 miles away. Otherwise it just appears on the screen and it's too easy to miss and I don't recall having that problem with a friend's Garmin.

It doesn't include speed limits...wish it did.

As I said, I run delivery routes (and got it for that purpose.) It has a multi-destination routing feature that allows you to "optimize" the route. This feature doesn't actually "optimize" the route (in terms of finding the most efficient way of running the route either in terms of time or distance (mapquest does this nicely)) all it does is order the places you need to go from closest to farthest. It's a cheap form of optimization which might work as efficient from time to time, but I was so disappointed to find that out.

I have contacted customer service here and there and they seem to take customer support seriously, which is nice.

The interface is a bit slow and clunky, but not severely so. I get impatient with bad, slow interfaces, but this only bugs me a bit, I don't want to slit my wrists over it. That's probably as good as you're going to get from a GPS manufacturer.

I'd give it 2 1/2 stars but for the cost I can conditionally recommend it. Customer service is good, it works reasonably well for using from time to time, it's a nice-sized, bright screen and you can tolerate the quirks.

freddycat1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freddycat1

Have 2 identical Magellan's and they have worked very well for over 2 years.

milton01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages milton01
jimbobjoe wrote:I also bought this a few weeks ago when it was last on woot.

It's...ok.

I haven't been able to use its bluetooth feature much, because for some reason it's having problems with my iphone 3G, but the phone is so old and troublesome it might be the problem with the phone, I've tried a 4S with it and that seems to work.

The directions it gives are...ok. Often I find that it is a little circuitous in how to route things in town centers. In comparison to what I'll try in google maps this device may add 10% distance (though in some situations that extra distance goes through dense areas so it's more than just 10% time.)

I'm not sure if mine isn't working perfectly, but it's often not exact with addresses. I run delivery routes, and it often calls the address ("you have arrived at 123 main street") about 2-4 houses away from 123 main street. In contrast, Apple Maps on the iphone 4S seems to hit the address every time.

There is something about the display that doesn't tell you a turn is coming up as soon as you need to know. It's fine with voice on, the voice gives you the head up, but with voice off you have to watch the distance to the intersection and get yourself prepared when it says the turn is .2 miles away. Otherwise it just appears on the screen and it's too easy to miss and I don't recall having that problem with a friend's Garmin.

It doesn't include speed limits...wish it did.

As I said, I run delivery routes (and got it for that purpose.) It has a multi-destination routing feature that allows you to "optimize" the route. This feature doesn't actually "optimize" the route (in terms of finding the most efficient way of running the route either in terms of time or distance (mapquest does this nicely)) all it does is order the places you need to go from closest to farthest. It's a cheap form of optimization which might work as efficient from time to time, but I was so disappointed to find that out.

I have contacted customer service here and there and they seem to take customer support seriously, which is nice.

The interface is a bit slow and clunky, but not severely so. I get impatient with bad, slow interfaces, but this only bugs me a bit, I don't want to slit my wrists over it. That's probably as good as you're going to get from a GPS manufacturer.

I'd give it 2 1/2 stars but for the cost I can conditionally recommend it. Customer service is good, it works reasonably well for using from time to time, it's a nice-sized, bright screen and you can tolerate the quirks.

I also bought this unit when Woot had it on sale a month ago. So far I have not been able to use it. The unit keeps locking up and rebooting. I have contacted Magellan several times and they have not been able to correct the problem. The last email I received from them said "this issue will be reported to our technicians so that they can work on an update that will resolve it."
At this point I am stuck with a unit that does not function,that I can not return to the seller and Magellan is unable to get the thing to work. I guess I have wasted my 80 bucks and will have to buy a new unit. It will sure not be a Magellan and I will not buy it from Woot.

wootjc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootjc

It is an alright GPS, Bluetooth will not connect to my cell phones, but for the price you cannot have all of the features work correctly.

ThunderThighs

Staff

milton01 wrote:I also bought this unit when Woot had it on sale a month ago. So far I have not been able to use it. The unit keeps locking up and rebooting. I have contacted Magellan several times and they have not been able to correct the problem. The last email I received from them said "this issue will be reported to our technicians so that they can work on an update that will resolve it."
At this point I am stuck with a unit that does not function,that I can not return to the seller and Magellan is unable to get the thing to work. I guess I have wasted my 80 bucks and will have to buy a new unit. It will sure not be a Magellan and I will not buy it from Woot.

Go ahead and email support@woot.com and explain what's going on. They may have some options for you. Include your woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR

dliidlii

ThunderThighs wrote:It's Model # 2045 though which is 3.5". We are selling the 3065 which is 4.7".

2045 has a 4.3" screen.

ThunderThighs

Staff

dliidlii wrote:2045 has a 4.3" screen.

Whoops. Dyslexic kind of morning.

FORUM MODERATOR

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
ThunderThighs wrote:PS: Links are useful to verify information.

And kindly link the links! It takes a few seconds!