WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: When I find a band I like, I...
  • 8.3% - Buy up everything I can, including b-sides and bootlegs and other rarities. 127
  • 12.4% - Pick up the single. That's the one that caught my ear anyway. 190
  • 41.2% - Buy the album and see what it's all about. 632
  • 38.2% - Download the tracks I like and add them to my ever-expanding library of illegal music. 586
1535 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

Download the discography to see what I want to buy, then delete it all and replace it with legally purchased copies of the songs/albums I liked.

Try telling that to a record exec, though. Onerous Massive Family Gathering YOU DIRTY PIRATE!!

jrs1980

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jrs1980

HA! I was actually talking about this at work today. I'll buy the standard CD for my favorite artists, and picked up a few $6 CDs on BF, but I still trawl the seed underbelly...of the internet...for the unreleased/unavailable-to-me stuff. Deluxe Edition CD with two extra tracks only released in Japan? TV-rip of an unplugged set? Must. Have. On. iPod.

Also, "Buy up... bootlegs"? I's confused.

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

Phoulmouth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Phoulmouth

Two options are missing.

[] Pirate all their music from P2P file sharing programs.
[x] Pirate all their music, find the tracks you like, then buy just those tracks

innercliff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages innercliff

One of my friends posted a link to a Steam Powered Giraffe song on Youtube(It was Honeybee)... I then listened to their other stuff on Youtube and bought both their albums from their online store the next day.

jai151

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151

E) Set up a Pandora station with the band/song as a seed to see what else pops up I like.

elsupreme

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elsupreme

Download the tracks I like and add them to my ever-expanding library of illegal music

I just download everything. Then if I like the band 5+ songs over 2 albums I will purchase physical CDs.

steven009

quality posts: 2 Private Messages steven009

Listen to the full album on streaming (legal) sites and then decide if I want to buy the full album. Then repeat with other albums by same artist.

Most of the time I only buy the singles unless I really like them. Justin Bieber ftw! (kidding!!!)

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4

These days.... listen to it on the radio for a couple of weeks until they hype is over. Current music is disposable... I haven't seen a need to own a copy of any CD produced by any band in the past decade.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

e.) Find the band on Spotify and listen until I am sick of it. They get some miniscule amount of money, and I don't have to clutter my shelf, drawer, car, hard drive, phone with stuff that I'll have to figure out how to clean up later.

awfulfalafel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awfulfalafel

Yet another option:

Ignore it completely out of contempt for the corrupt music industry.

kphil22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kphil22
awfulfalafel wrote:Yet another option:

Ignore it completely out of contempt for the corrupt music industry.

I respect that. But there are unsigned artists who feel the same way, what about them?

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid" -- Einstein

lroux

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lroux
boomn4x4 wrote:These days.... listen to it on the radio for a couple of weeks until they hype is over. Current music is disposable... I haven't seen a need to own a copy of any CD produced by any band in the past decade.

Just looked at my MP3 collection and I think the last decade is pretty generous. I dont think I have anything that was recorded since the late 80s.

I must be getting old. My car radio is stuck on NPR. OK, maybe I am not old, maybe modern music just stinks. Hey, Record execs, ever think that your sales are down because you keep pushing fluff bands on us? hmmmm?