WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you know how to build a fire?
  • 36.1% - Yes! From nothing but two sticks! 750
  • 48.5% - Yes! From nothing but a lighter! 1008
  • 6.3% - Yes! From nothing but calling someone who knows how to build a fire! 132
  • 7% - Yes! From nothing but a flame thrower! 146
  • 2.1% - No, I could never build a fire. 44
2080 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

From...nothing but the band - Styx!

Man - they're on fire!

Ah, the hell with it.

facemeetpavement

quality posts: 0 Private Messages facemeetpavement

really i tend to use matches, rather than a lighter.

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

Think you might have to call someone to use the flamethrower. if the gas leaks, or the hose is loose....Kaflewie!!!

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I learned how to use a flint and steel, but matches or a lighter is easier.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Not two sticks.... but anything actually designed to make a fire with. Flint and steel for example. Hell, even a 9V and steel wool.

And for those that can't even make a fire with a lighter, please get out more. lol

smartlady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smartlady

Happy holidays building a fire all u need is a fireplace

rene8740

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rene8740

I am a complete failure as a fire builder. Tried it all. When i was a kid we heated with wood. I spent many cold hours after school at home trying to get the fire built. Wouldn't stay lit ever. Became a family joke after a while always comes up when camping.

mrglenasmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrglenasmith
firebirdude wrote:Not two sticks.... but anything actually designed to make a fire with. Flint and steel for example. Hell, even a 9V and steel wool.

And for those that can't even make a fire with a lighter, please get out more. lol

I'm with firebirdude, matches, firesteel, batteries, though I never got a flint and steel to work.

I once tried to cheat the two sticks / bow drill by putting a dowel in my cordless drill and spinning that against another board. Ran a full battery dead getting nothing more than a warm dowel. I decided then that I would never bother to even try a bow drill, I'd just exhaust myself and never get a fire.

+1 on getting out more.

Glen

ravynwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravynwolf
mrglenasmith wrote:I'm with firebirdude, matches, firesteel, batteries, though I never got a flint and steel to work.

I once tried to cheat the two sticks / bow drill by putting a dowel in my cordless drill and spinning that against another board. Ran a full battery dead getting nothing more than a warm dowel. I decided then that I would never bother to even try a bow drill, I'd just exhaust myself and never get a fire.

+1 on getting out more.

Glen

Bow drill is hard work but friction can be helped by bits of sand between the spindle and fireboard. And wood type is very important!

eastcheap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eastcheap
ravynwolf wrote:And wood type is very important!

If you must try to start a fire by spinning a dried hardwood dowel, try adding a bit of flux or bow rosin or the like. If it squeaks, you know it's working (should really sing with an electric drill).

Shinespark

quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'"

huskykma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huskykma

Pretty much anything more than the two sticks or bow method I can manage, never tried flint and steel though. Magnesium is one of my favorites.

silveroracle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silveroracle

Spaceballs: the Flame Thrower!

(The kids love this one)

jwagner001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwagner001

Lighting a fire with just two pieces of wood is the easy part. Lighting your fart with the two pieces of wood is the challenge!

Jeffrey L. Wagner

michael1211

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michael1211

of course

michael1211

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michael1211

I'm a man.

michael1211 wrote:of course

thomaswbowman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomaswbowman

Steel wool helps A LOT ! A puny spark can get steel wool blazing hot enough to light a wet log...