WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Bike USA Bop!

They're forming in a straight line! They're going through a tight wind! The kids are losing their minds! 'Cause they want some bikes!
Bike USA official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Which of these bikes would you take for a spin?

I'm just hanging out, really.

paulbsa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages paulbsa

What sizes are the bikes? 26" or 24"?

megmoves

quality posts: 1 Private Messages megmoves

Amazon has ZERO reviews for any Revolution bikes. Anybody have experience with them?

I'm mainly looking for an inexpensive bike for just cruising around the neighborhood.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
paulbsa wrote:What sizes are the bikes? 26" or 24"?

Which bike are you looking at in particular?

I'm just hanging out, really.

pgeltgroth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pgeltgroth

What size is the Revolution 600665 Rebound Kid's Bicycle? http://www.woot.com/offers/revolution-rebound-kids-bicycle

Thanks

rglynn22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rglynn22

What is the weight of Revolution 600671 Getaway Women's 21-Speed Bike? Weight is a spec that should be added to all bikes. TY

techchallenger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages techchallenger

I wouldn't pay $5 for the whole fleet of these bikes. Junk.

thespiansmc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thespiansmc
rglynn22 wrote:What is the weight of Revolution 600671 Getaway Women's 21-Speed Bike? Weight is a spec that should be added to all bikes. TY

cannot find the bike weight anywhere, but Walmart sells the bike and gives the shipping weight as 47lbs.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Revolution-Getaway-26-Ladies-Mountain-Bike/19582695

hurbavore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hurbavore
paulbsa wrote:What sizes are the bikes? 26" or 24"?

26"

ddchicago

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddchicago
pgeltgroth wrote:What size is the Revolution 600665 Rebound Kid's Bicycle? http://www.woot.com/offers/revolution-rebound-kids-bicycle

Thanks

It's 24"

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

My first reaction to the stability wheels was to laugh and say, "Ornaments Make Festive Garland adult training wheels!"

Then I remembered the last time my mom tried to get on a bike and ride it, and I thought, maybe they aren't such a bad idea. However, I still can't justify the price, for that I'll get her an adult trike used somewhere (not like she'd ride it that much anyway).

uedan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uedan
techchallenger wrote:I wouldn't pay $5 for the whole fleet of these bikes. Junk.

Agreed. But then again our bikes would be overkill for just riding around the block. As these bikes are made for.

techchallenger

uedan wrote:Agreed. But then again our bikes would be overkill for just riding around the block. As these bikes are made for.

The problem is that they are not marketed for 'just riding around the block':

"The Revolution bicycles are extremely durable mountain bikes fit to tackle any terrain."

beefcake550

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beefcake550

Would the Reactor 20" bike be sufficient for a 7 and 9 yr boy looking to ride around the block and occasionally on the grass/dirt? IT's just priced at $99 and it looks better than the Huffy/Mongoose crap I see at Walmart/TRU.

Help me out....the boys have been riding lightly on and off for about 2 years now and there 16" bikes have been thrown out because they are too small.

techchallenger

beefcake550 wrote:Would the Reactor 20" bike be sufficient for a 7 and 9 yr boy looking to ride around the block and occasionally on the grass/dirt? IT's just priced at $99 and it looks better than the Huffy/Mongoose crap I see at Walmart/TRU.

Help me out....the boys have been riding lightly on and off for about 2 years now and there 16" bikes have been thrown out because they are too small.

Reactor Bike = Walmart Bike unfortunately.
You can get a quality used steel or aluminum frame (Trek brand, most likely) mountain bike for $100 on Craigslist.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
inkycatz wrote:Which of these bikes would you take for a spin?

None. I live in the hills and I value my teeth and bones too much.

I've got no problem with inexpensive comfort bikes. I do have a problem with bikes being unsafely marketed as something they are not.

countryjustice

quality posts: 1 Private Messages countryjustice

Those lights are garbage. Spend a few more bucks on some MonkeyLights or Hokey Spokes or something that's not going to quit when you ride through a puddle.

WENDBAZ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WENDBAZ

So, what age groups is "Kids bike"? My son is 7. Anyone know???

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

WENDBAZ wrote:So, what age groups is "Kids bike"? My son is 7. Anyone know???

Sorry for the late reply, I can't seem to find that information either.
I checked our sale as well as the manufacturer's site.

Once I find some news about the age range, I'll post an update here.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

WENDBAZ wrote:So, what age groups is "Kids bike"? My son is 7. Anyone know???

Here is some helpful info:

Guide to Kid's Bike Sizes
Age Child's Height Bike Wheel Size

Age 2 - 5 26 - 34 inches 12 inches
Age 4 - 8 34 - 42 inches 16 inches
Age 6 - 9 42 - 48 inches 18 inches
Age 8 - 12 48 - 56 inches20 inches
Youth 56 - 62 inches 24 inches

shabazz18

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shabazz18

What exacty makes these so bad they can be used for nothing other than riding around a neighborhood? Specifically the more expensive Titans. I had nothing but cheap bikes growing up and beat the hell out of them. Only thing i ran into was a popped tire or the occasional bent rim. I have a feeling the people knocking cheap bikes are the people that run Fuji's or other astronomically priced bikes.

Keep in mind the people in the market for this sort of bike are not going to be running them down double blacks on a regular basis.

WENDBAZ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WENDBAZ
ROGETRAY wrote:Here is some helpful info:

Guide to Kid's Bike Sizes
Age Child's Height Bike Wheel Size

Age 2 - 5 26 - 34 inches 12 inches
Age 4 - 8 34 - 42 inches 16 inches
Age 6 - 9 42 - 48 inches 18 inches
Age 8 - 12 48 - 56 inches20 inches
Youth 56 - 62 inches 24 inches

Thanks!! I'm in!

ndirienzo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ndirienzo

I worked in and managed a bicycle shop for around 13 years. Cheap bikes when I was a kid were $100, and yet these a couple decades later are still only $100ish. While they weren't good back then, they've gotten even worse now. They are built to an extremely low standard, and tend to fall apart even if you're not doing much in the way of riding.

There are two major problems to this type of bike, though.

First, they are never built properly. Part of the reason a bike at a bicycle shop costs $250-300 is because it's built by a trained mechanic. An improper build leads to bearing going bad, poor shifting, stripped threads, and brakes that don't work properly. This also causes everything to wear out that much quicker. That, and the 45+lb. weight of these things is ridiculous.

Second, they only come in one frame size. Any bicycle from a shop comes in at least six sizes to fit a range of people. This is critical to make the bike enjoyable to ride, as a poor fitting bike will either be too cramped or stretched out, and thus, very uncomfortable and inefficient to ride.

These two factors together make for a miserable riding experience, even just around the block. I can't tell you how many people buy these cheap bikes to get back into riding, then end up hating cycling because the bike fits terrible and is always falling apart. It's not until they get on decent bike that they start to enjoy it.

To summarize - avoid these bikes at all costs. If you can't swing a few hundred for a bike shop quality bike (which I totally understand), get a used Trek, Specialized, Giant, or other quality bike off craigslist. This was always my recommendation to customers that came in but thought our bikes were too expensive. I genuinely don't care that people ride the best stuff. I care that people enjoy cycling.

Edit - when it comes to kids bikes, I totally understand buying one of these cheaper bikes that they'll beat up and outgrow in a year. Just PLEASE makes sure you know how to properly assemble it. If you don't, have someone that does check it over or take it to a bike shop.

shabazz18 wrote:What exacty makes these so bad they can be used for nothing other than riding around a neighborhood? Specifically the more expensive Titans. I had nothing but cheap bikes growing up and beat the hell out of them. Only thing i ran into was a popped tire or the occasional bent rim. I have a feeling the people knocking cheap bikes are the people that run Fuji's or other astronomically priced bikes.

Keep in mind the people in the market for this sort of bike are not going to be running them down double blacks on a regular basis.

najaracing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages najaracing
ndirienzo wrote:I worked in and managed a bicycle shop for around 13 years. Cheap bikes when I was a kid were $100, and yet these a couple decades later are still only $100ish. While they weren't good back then, they've gotten even worse now. They are built to an extremely low standard, and tend to fall apart even if you're not doing much in the way of riding.

There are two major problems to this type of bike, though.

First, they are never built properly. Part of the reason a bike at a bicycle shop costs $250-300 is because it's built by a trained mechanic. An improper build leads to bearing going bad, poor shifting, stripped threads, and brakes that don't work properly. This also causes everything to wear out that much quicker. That, and the 45+lb. weight of these things is ridiculous.

Second, they only come in one frame size. Any bicycle from a shop comes in at least six sizes to fit a range of people. This is critical to make the bike enjoyable to ride, as a poor fitting bike will either be too cramped or stretched out, and thus, very uncomfortable and inefficient to ride.

These two factors together make for a miserable riding experience, even just around the block. I can't tell you how many people buy these cheap bikes to get back into riding, then end up hating cycling because the bike fits terrible and is always falling apart. It's not until they get on decent bike that they start to enjoy it.

To summarize - avoid these bikes at all costs. If you can't swing a few hundred for a bike shop quality bike (which I totally understand), get a used Trek, Specialized, Giant, or other quality bike off craigslist. This was always my recommendation to customers that came in but thought our bikes were too expensive. I genuinely don't care that people ride the best stuff. I care that people enjoy cycling.

Edit - when it comes to kids bikes, I totally understand buying one of these cheaper bikes that they'll beat up and outgrow in a year. Just PLEASE makes sure you know how to properly assemble it. If you don't, have someone that does check it over or take it to a bike shop.

Word