WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

It's an AOC Monit-or it's nuffin special!

Knock knock. Who's there? A monitor. A monit or what? No, you didn't understand me the first time. We're just talking about monitors here.
AOC official site

Quality Posts

• (10:50 AM, 11/30/2012) kalaharinight has an upside and a downside.
  • (1:51 PM, 11/30/2012) jcrestonm has a question about Wii compatibility. anybody wanna help 'em out?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Do you have an AOC monitor? Why or why not?

I'm just hanging out, really.

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

I really hate the idea of refurbished electronics (not even sure why).... anyone have insight into this monitor that will change my mind?

I really do need a monitor though....

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

kalaharinight

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kalaharinight

I bought two of the 22-inch AOCs here back in August and have them installed as dual monitors on my Macbook Pro. They were remarkably easy to install - just a simple matter of getting the right cable adapters. I've been very happy with them so far, and it's sure nice to have enough monitor real estate to actually edit images and have a few windows open at the same time.

The only downside (that other people have also talked about) is that the AOC monitor stands are squatty so the monitors sit too low, way below comfy ergonomic eye level for the likes o' me (I'm only 5'8"). A trip to the craft store for a pair of very small pine stools ($6 each and now stained cherry) fixed that problem and they look good too.

(And now I can store things under the monitors - I mounted my external speakers there.)

Really, I'm not blue, I don't have a ratty beard, and I NEVER wear pink.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jcarlton03 wrote:I really hate the idea of refurbished electronics (not even sure why).... anyone have insight into this monitor that will change my mind?

I don't have insight on this particular monitor but maybe this article about refurbished electronics will help. I will add a personal note that I have had nothing but great experiences getting refurbished electronics. Often they seem to last longer than things I've bought new, and just to ease my mind they come with better warranties.

I'm just hanging out, really.

internetlad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages internetlad

My boss had an AOC monitor. Picture was so fuzzy it gave him eye issues. After updating him to an LG IPS231 the difference was like night and day.

jcrestonm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcrestonm

Sorry I am not the most tech savvy guy. Can I connect a Wii or Xbox to this? I want to put a Wii in my 3rd bedroom but I don't want to have to dish out a ton of money for a new TV when I do not watch TV in that room.

Hirshy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hirshy

You can get the 20" AOC new from Best Buy for about $10 more...

Scooter32401

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Scooter32401

For an Xbox you could get a DVI-HDMI cable to use these. I'm not sure if the newer Wii comes with HDMI or if they make a DVI-compnent adapter for the older ones.

I just bought a 23" IPS AOC and a the same 20" one here last weekend and I'm satisfied with the quality of both so far. For comparison on my desk(s) I have a 23" Acer, a 27" Auria IPS, a 22" Samsung, and a 23" HP. The picture quality is as good as any besides the Auria.

jcrestonm wrote:Sorry I am not the most tech savvy guy. Can I connect a Wii or Xbox to this? I want to put a Wii in my 3rd bedroom but I don't want to have to dish out a ton of money for a new TV when I do not watch TV in that room.

alextse

quality posts: 23 Private Messages alextse

Bought two 22" AOC monitors recently and they work fine. Only things I don't like are the absence of a VESA mount and no rotation, (so widescreen only). It seems like the standard these days but it's really unacceptable in my book as it's an unnecessary limitation on monitors that could easily last a decade before needing to be disposed of.

biohazard2974

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biohazard2974

Garbage monitors, ordered many different size AOC's for different clients, can never EVER recommend them. Fuzy picture, bad color reproduction, ghosting, and flimsy stands. Spend a few extra bucks and get an asus or samsung.

Strike him down and take your place at my side.

ewyrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ewyrick

I've had an AOC 24" monitor for more than a year. It's great so long as you're looking straight at it. Any deviation and it disappears. Works for me for the price I paid (less than a hundred bucks), but may not be for you.

sevian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sevian
inkycatz wrote:Do you have an AOC monitor? Why or why not?

I have an AOC 2436vh that I really want to replace due to horrible viewing angle and contrast. I think I'll go IPS next time.

I really dislike these monitors that don't allow removal of the base for VESA mounting. I'm using a couple ergotron mounts and I'd never go back.

amoodie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amoodie

bought the 23" here a few months ago for a slightly lower price, refurbished. It has a tiny scratch on the base. Other than that, it is awesome. great picture. definitely would recommend.

jcarlton03 wrote:I really hate the idea of refurbished electronics (not even sure why).... anyone have insight into this monitor that will change my mind?

tigraco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tigraco

Often it's just an excuse to sell cheaper without lowering the official price. I buy refurbs from reputable companies and yet to have any problems or even anything other than new items. The latest one is "certified-preowned" Nook Color from B&N on ebay. As if those guys just got thousands and thousands of tablets that look nothing but new returned to them.

hdlp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hdlp

I'm reading your comments on a 3-year old AOC monitor. It's nothing fancy, just works!

dougusmeg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougusmeg

Hi,

My new laptop (Toshiba Satellite) only has HDMI for a monitor connection. Can I connect to these?

Thanks

scragglykat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scragglykat
Hirshy wrote:You can get the 20" AOC new from Best Buy for about $10 more...

The one on Best Buy is $20 more and it isnt the same monitor. that one isnt as bright and has a lower dynamic contrast among other things.