adkstrider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adkstrider

Heh heh, good one!

adkstrider

cliffisadude wrote:Your very own Stark Industries miniature arc reactor!

Heh heh, good one!

adkstrider

adkstrider wrote:Heh heh, good one!

elf move, not so good...sorry.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
emailrob wrote:i THINK that's for the non-HD version right? Looking at the videos, the HD to normal was quite a difference. They list two versions on their website, this is the HD one.

http://actionshotcam.com/shop/

The non-HD was jerky as if it was also at 30 fps. In SD mode it should be smooth video at 60 fps but at lower resolution.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
radi0j0hn wrote:CMOS or no CMOS, I'm not sure why anybody would seriously think that a $60 camera with a pinhole-type aperture would work in low light.

Get real folks! The laws of physics haven't change since going digital. Dark is still dark and little apertures are still little.

You bring out a great point John. Unless you want to live with heavy video noise just to brighten the image, this tiny arperture just can't deliver the low light sensitivity one would like.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

CaptVerde

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CaptVerde
carrottop432 wrote:Anyone remember Flight of the Navigator? Looks like the pilot from that movie to me.

DUDE! It totally does! I practically wore out my VHS of Flight of the Navigator. Recorded it off TV from the Disney Sunday Movie.

Check out the 0:43 mark :-)

Don't forget to feed Bruiser!

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
CaptVerde wrote:Recorded it off TV from the Disney Sunday Movie.

I'm betting the takedown notice is only moments away, lol.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I suspect the basic "camera on a chip" is used in gum cams and other similar devices. Some of the real cheapies have a non-removable date imprint that is tough to adjust.

There could be improvements in the chips and firmware, and lens qualities may vary. I have two gum cams, a keychain version, and no two have similar quality.

Oddly, the audio on one gum cam is really quite good. Go figure.

My point is that these companies selling these gadgets go to international trade fairs, buy from China and don't have a lot of control of the maker switching this component or that.

When you are buying them for $3.00 each in bulk, you don't ask too many questions.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet
Fluffy215 wrote:Reminds me of a shower head LOL

This!

dignan17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dignan17
carrottop432 wrote:Anyone remember Flight of the Navigator? Looks like the pilot from that movie to me.

I thought the exact same thing.

zikzak

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zikzak
radi0j0hn wrote:CMOS or no CMOS, I'm not sure why anybody would seriously think that a $60 camera with a pinhole-type aperture would work in low light..In a few years, when we have ISOs of a half million, it will be a different story.

The pinhole-type aperture isn't what's stopping it. Current smartphones have similarly tiny cameras that are surprisingly decent in low light right now. The problem with this camera is just that it's cheap.

When the description goes out of its way to say "*Action Shot Camera has been optimized for outdoor & daylight use. For best results indoors use in well lit areas," that's just code for "Don't expect this thing to work if you don't see the sun above you."

tesla33

quality posts: 57 Private Messages tesla33
beokabatukaba wrote:Indeed it does (record with sound).

Thank you. You'd think that in two pages of posts there would be at least a little discussion of the sound quality, especially as the description doesn't even make it clear that the thing has a microphone at all. I also have to wonder about how usable the video is, with no image stabilization...

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Curiosity begs the question... Sound quality?

Moueska

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15189536 <- FYI - the action shot video viewer comes with the party as a $30 value according to Toys R Us. That really does manage to up the value...

renigade4x4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages renigade4x4

All the negativity.. I bought for my son a month back. He is 17 and he uses it for skateboarding and bmx riding videos. Between the flip video cam and this he likes this cam better. So if this is what you want it for a gift for a teenager its great!!
Happy trails
M

JesusQuintana

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JesusQuintana

Compliance!

pixelpadre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pixelpadre

42 bux at target.

plaidbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plaidbunny

The same thing is on Toysrus.com for $49.99...

robejacobs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robejacobs
pixelpadre wrote:42 bux at target.

plaidbunny wrote:The same thing is on Toysrus.com for $49.99...

First off, you need to link things if you're talking about them. Target Toys"R"Us. Second, if you had bothered to read before you posted you'd notice that these are not the same product. Neither of them is HD, and neither of them comes with most of these accessories. Please only post price-comparisons with identical products, or at least note the differences.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ok, what the heck is going on in North Dakota? No sales?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

leonshotme

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leonshotme

This is a stupid ridiculous good deal!
At first I too thought it would've been for the SD model as the HD model is a fairly new product and woot normally sells the older model but nope! This is legit, plus it comes with all the add-ons they typically sell separately. Absolutely one of the best deals woot has had in some time if you ask me (wait till I receive the product and test it of course ha).

Maybe people won't confuse it for the SD one if you replace your wording from 'Hi-def' to 'HD'. Even the term 'Hi-Def' seems to be outdated this day in age hahaha.

leonshotme

ThunderThighs wrote:Ok, what the heck is going on in North Dakota? No sales?

I don't think they have the internet up there yet, maybe woot is delivered via pony express...

xgoutx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xgoutx
sheriff92 wrote:im thinking of getting this to wear during games for my flag football league. would be nice to have video of the games from field perspective..edit..

just saw this
Recording Capacity:
(on included 2GB card) - 10 mins (HD)
- 20 mins (SD)

is there a maximum size SD card this will support?

32GB is the max, gets you over an hour of footage.

xgoutx

theguruguys wrote:I love the marketing peeps! It has horrible low light performance, therefore it was 'optimized for outdoor use'...

You bought one and know for a fact? Or are you trolling?

xgoutx

theguruguys wrote:There are 7 reviews rating it 2 out of 5 stars overall at Target where it costs $42 for the basic camera. Many of the reviewers complain about the lack of viewfinder and the lack of video quality.

[MOD: See post below. That's not the HD model.]

The one on Target:
- is standard def
- doesn't come with the view finder

The one on Woot:
- is HD
- comes with the view finder and a whole lot more

What's the relevance of your comment re Target?

xgoutx

gregbowman wrote:Bought one locally thinking it might actually be good enough - it wasn't, and I returned it the same day. But, for the price, it was worth the risk. Jakks Pacific doesn't really impress me as a whole, bottom line: this is a TOY, this is not a Swann or a GoPro - you'll be disappointed unless you're 13. But, if you have a 13 year old to buy for, this may be absolutely perfect, and you'll save a ton o' cash . . . they'll love it, and they'll love you for it. For THAT, it is good enough.

This is the first time HD has been made available anywhere - are you talking about the regular standard def version?

xgoutx

Dozer11 wrote:Yep. Even the new Go Pro 3 uses a CMOS sensor. It's how they can make it affordable for us we're-not-in-the-film-industry-so-we-don't-need-to-spend-thousands-yet-now-have-access-to-HD-video people. And CMOS usually uses less power, but that difference is changing with CCDs.

And all of these action sport cameras do poorly in low-light areas. Indoors is darker than most people think. Heck, a lot of video cameras, including phones have horrible to mediocre performance indoors.

Excellent point, Dozer - there's a reason people use lighting rigs when shooting indoors.

Moueska

... I know I say this about all the cameras... but wouldn't this be fun to Steampunk as an eyepatch?

XD

pixelpadre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pixelpadre
robejacobs wrote:First off, you need to link things if you're talking about them. Target Toys"R"Us. Second, if you had bothered to read before you posted you'd notice that these are not the same product. Neither of them is HD, and neither of them comes with most of these accessories. Please only post price-comparisons with identical products, or at least note the differences.

Yeah I figured I would get nailed on that minor differenc. When you're talking about a pinhole camera....don't dont even do down that road about HD. People who make REAL HD cameras would find it ludicrous that anyone could label a pinhole camera as HD.

robejacobs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robejacobs
pixelpadre wrote:Yeah I figured I would get nailed on that minor differenc. When you're talking about a pinhole camera....don't dont even do down that road about HD. People who make REAL HD cameras would find it ludicrous that anyone could label a pinhole camera as HD.

It isn't really a minor difference, the video quality is massively improved. Compared the Woot! blog video in the product description (exclusively the dogwalking parts, the others are obviously retouched) to this video of the SD model that I found on Youtube in five minutes of searching:

Beyond that, this also contains two accessories that are not in the package at Target or Toy"S"Us, the waterproof case and the viewfinder/playback unit, each of which appear to retail for a penny shy of $20. Seems like a good deal.

unrealtrip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unrealtrip

Wow, in QVGA sucker does 120fps! :D

Source: http://actionshotcam.com/shop/action-shot-hd-camera/

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
zikzak wrote:The pinhole-type aperture isn't what's stopping it. Current smartphones have similarly tiny cameras that are surprisingly decent in low light right now. The problem with this camera is just that it's cheap.

When the description goes out of its way to say "*Action Shot Camera has been optimized for outdoor & daylight use. For best results indoors use in well lit areas," that's just code for "Don't expect this thing to work if you don't see the sun above you."

Heh-heh...they spent more time working on the copy than on the lens!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

KevinatWoot

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KevinatWoot

Hey Matthew,

I appreciate the real actual field test video; but please make it more "real actual field test" next time.

Dude walking a dog is cool, but there is so much more you could do with a video camera like this. Stop being lazy!

Do you really think people want to spend 60 bucks to take videos of them walking their dog? Give them ideas of how to use it like, strapping it to your car bumper. Or, use it like a Russian dash board camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlxHPJAONpE

I am sorry, but you guys have lack the creativity which made you successful. I'm sure you're making cash hand over fist, but don't you really need to be creative again.

You could have done a clown car parody. With either real people or the Woot monkeys. I am sorry, but you guy are writers, and not creatives.

leonshotme

Moueska wrote:... I know I say this about all the cameras... but wouldn't this be fun to Steampunk as an eyepatch?

XD

I'm really considering building an arc reactor around it....maybe even attach it via several body piercing mods if I get funky enough.

Moueska

leonshotme wrote:I'm really considering building an arc reactor around it....maybe even attach it via several body piercing mods if I get funky enough.

I was with you all the way up to the body piercing. Dude, if it ain't there already from some other extreme nonsense, this camera probably isn't worth your pincushioning.

XD

(BTDubz - I C WHUT U DID THAR)

sircorby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sircorby

Just got mine and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. Even after charging, I have to reset it to make it turn off and it won't change modes.

Googling these symptoms comes up with nothing.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

sircorby wrote:Just got mine and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. Even after charging, I have to reset it to make it turn off and it won't change modes.

Googling these symptoms comes up with nothing.

Sorry for the late reply and to hear that your cam bundle isn't working. We recommend that you contact Jakks Pacific Support to see if they can help remedy the situation.

If you can seem to find any answers, please also feel free to contact Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to help you out.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

doc20002001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doc20002001

I love this thing used it today while ice riding! works great - nice HD resolution - easy to use and 1/7th the cost of a gopro hd.

heres some video, i could only upload at 720 resolution otherwise it would take forever on my slow DSL!

[MOD: Embedded video]

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

doc20002001 wrote:I love this thing used it today while ice riding! works great - nice HD resolution - easy to use and 1/7th the cost of a gopro hd.

heres some video, i could only upload at 720 resolution otherwise it would take forever on my slow DSL! http://youtu.be/dfOEKyFLC_g

WOW! That's great video. Thanks for posting that.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mgbillow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgbillow
doc20002001 wrote:I love this thing used it today while ice riding! works great - nice HD resolution - easy to use and 1/7th the cost of a gopro hd.

heres some video, i could only upload at 720 resolution otherwise it would take forever on my slow DSL!

Nice video! DSL is miserable, my parents live in the woods and finally dished out the money to have a cable line ran back there. Expensive, but totally worth it. From barely 1 meg of download to 50!