WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Whirling Blades of Snowy Doom

Snow's a pain. It's good for skiing, and punishing unruly younger siblings/total strangers, but beyond that, its just a freezing cold obstacle in between you and the rest of your life. You could just shovel it, but don't you want a bit more revenge? A bit more high velocity rotating death machine style revenge? Well here you go.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

How much snow do you usually get?

I'm just hanging out, really.

jdjj929

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jdjj929

Would like to know the weight of these blowers as I do have to throw it inside the back of a pickup

madmatt2024

quality posts: 2 Private Messages madmatt2024

The 22" is a steal at $250. We have had basically the same unit (different motor) for over 7 years and the only part it ever needed was a belt. As I recall it was over $500 when we bought it. It throws the snow pretty far too.

cpaden607

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpaden607

JUST missed the 22". dangit!!!!!!

jessewendt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessewendt

It looks like the picture for this unit is incorrect. If you search the part number the only pictures that come back don't have pistol grip speed/auger control. They also don't have a chute control in rear. You have to reach over and manually change the direction you are throwing. The picture indicates a much nicer machine than you will actually get.

Kenundrum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Kenundrum

The photo of the 31A-32AD700 (the 250 dollar one) appears to be the 31A-62BD700 which retails for double and has larger blades.
the actual picture appears to be correct at Amazon
so it appears that the one for sale has smaller blades, manual chute adjust, and a different handle versus what is pictured.

inkycatz

jdjj929 wrote:Would like to know the weight of these blowers as I do have to throw it inside the back of a pickup

Looking into this! (Did you have a specific model in mind?)

Kenundrum wrote:The photo of the 31A-32AD700 (the 250 dollar one) appears to be the 31A-62BD700 which retails for double and has larger blades.
so it appears that the one for sale has smaller blades, manual chute adjust, and a different handle versus what is pictured.

We sent this off for investigation/correction as needed. Thanks!

joea132

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joea132

Can't find review for the snow king. Anybody?

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

the only good deal was the 22" one that is sold out

greezyg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg

I really want a snow blower! But seeing as highs here in Austin will be about 80° and have been through most of November it's not very practical. I wonder what else I could use it for.

inkycatz

Kenundrum wrote:The photo of the 31A-32AD700 (the 250 dollar one) appears to be the 31A-62BD700 which retails for double and has larger blades.

So! It turns out the picture was goofed up but all the specs are entirely correct. If this has caused any distress to anyone's brain, or you ordered thinking you were getting something different, please don't hesitate to drop a line to support@woot.com with your order number to discuss your despair and generate options for you. We're really sorry about that.

jjdche

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jjdche

Looks like Lowe's has a similar/identical 30" Husqvarna for $1249.

pmin0000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmin0000

I just bought this trusting the image was correct. The hand crank for the chute is a KEY feature for me along with the 2 handles vs. the flat bar and that is why I bought it. I am assuming that the image is correct and that it could just be an older model or something.

pmin0000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmin0000

Thanks for the update and I did email.

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew
pmin0000 wrote:I just bought this trusting the image was correct. The hand crank for the chute is a KEY feature for me along with the 2 handles vs. the flat bar and that is why I bought it. I am assuming that the image is correct and that it could just be an older model or something.

Woot - if this means you have one available now I would like to purchase. Sent an email. Thanks.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

What's the difference between a snow blower and a snow thrower? These are all snow throwers, except the 'snow king' and the 'Yard Man 24-inch snow blower'.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

dalematthew

inkycatz wrote:So! It turns out the picture was goofed up but all the specs are entirely correct. If this has caused any distress to anyone's brain, or you ordered thinking you were getting something different, please don't hesitate to drop a line to support@woot.com with your order number to discuss your despair and generate options for you. We're really sorry about that.

Hi Inkycatz. If one becomes available I will take it - sent an email. Looks below like one is unwanted. Thanks.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

The 26" Yard Machine for $549 looks like a very good deal. I bought a 26" MTD last year(same company) on sale for $649. Never got to use it because we were snowless but my previous MTD did the job for 15 years with no major problems.

Amazing $5 shipping too,would cost you more than that in gas to go to the store!

boaterbum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boaterbum

damn you woot and your shipping policies. I wanted one shipped to hawaii

inkycatz

boaterbum wrote:damn you woot and your shipping policies. I wanted one shipped to hawaii

We also require* pictures of your Hawaii snow.

* not really, but we'd get a good smile out of it

wellIamJake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wellIamJake
greezyg wrote:I really want a snow blower! But seeing as highs here in Austin will be about 80° and have been through most of November it's not very practical. I wonder what else I could use it for.

I took the auger assembly off of mine, built a deck, and mounted a blade. I use it as a brush cutter in the summer, and snow blower in the winter. Takes about 5 mins for the conversion.

Jake

glenasmith

quality posts: 5 Private Messages glenasmith

I was thinking that the difference between a snow blower and a snow thrower was single stage versus 2 stage. But what I really want to know is what exactly is a Snow Thorwer? Does that Murray 27" use Odins Hammer or Lightening Bolts to get rid of the snow? ;-)

FubarGuy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FubarGuy

Any words of advice on the reliability of the Yard Machines brand? We're in mid-Maryland and don't get hammered every single Winter, but we have a double-wide driveway shared with a neighbor who is conveniently absent when 12"-2' or more does hit. It's about 5-6 car lengths and has a slight incline, and concrete. I've been shopping 24-26" models anyway and may just pull the trigger on the $449 model here soon.

breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink

I had an older 22" 8 year old give away yard machine, and the key element to it's longevity was that it had an electric starter. A MAINS electric starter. Not battery. That would have been very under powered for the god awful Buffalo winters.
And manual pull starters. I can only imagine how much more I would have cracked my knuckles on object getting that thing to fire up after a year of sitting in the garage...All in -30 weather.

It could be cranked endlessly until it fired up, and it was, after 8 years a heap of rust, but still worked...Has to say something for the build quality.

Seems likely the person we gave it to as we hurried out of Buffalo being chased by yet another snow storm, could have got another couple of years out of it.

I say if you really think you need a snow blower, get way more power than you think you'll need.
You want it to run without clogging (and they do clog) so expect deep snow to take a very long time with a 22" version as you can only hit a strip around half the width of the chute to allow it to chug it's way through that quantity and still allow it to throw it far enough away from you that it doesn't blow straight back in your face.
Secondly, always get a mains electrical starter unit, because that shiny lovely new object is expected to do a very nasty job.
I can't imagine a hand pull unit is going to start very well on those freezing mornings for very many years.

I still keep a weather app locked in on Buffalo and it's astonishingly awful weather. It makes the weather in Washington look so tiny.

gfreek12000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gfreek12000

For the price on these units you can't beat it. The Husky is the best unit of all IMO. You take care of any of them, maintenance and touch up paint they will last while. The Snapper and Murray are owned by Briggs & Stratton and have Briggs engines. MTD/Yardman/YardMachines all same company use their own foreign built engines.

Denethor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Denethor

It was touched on earlier, but the the difference in a snow thrower and blower is as stated single stage and dual stage. But that probably doesn't answer any more than throw vs blow
A single stage, snow thrower, only has the big blades up front. Those blades must do all the work, cut into snow bank, move to center of machine and force up and out the chute. Hence scoop and throw it. The best snow throwers in light non wet snow, might throw it 5 feet away, enough to get it off the side walk.
A dual stage, snow blower, has a large auger up front that chews up the snow bank and funnels it all to the middle chute. Then in the chute is an impeller that takes the snow from the auger and increases the pressure to blow it up to 45 feet on the more powerful models.

nangtadam

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nangtadam

I didn't think these would sell as much as they have

FubarGuy

nangtadam wrote:I didn't think these would sell as much as they have

Of course they did - Winter is Coming™

grayj79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayj79
inkycatz wrote:How much snow do you usually get?

Over 200 inches per year

FubarGuy

breaddrink wrote:I had an older 22" 8 year old give away yard machine, and the key element to it's longevity was that it had an electric starter. A MAINS electric starter. Not battery. That would have been very under powered for the god awful Buffalo winters.
And manual pull starters. I can only imagine how much more I would have cracked my knuckles on object getting that thing to fire up after a year of sitting in the garage...All in -30 weather.

It could be cranked endlessly until it fired up, and it was, after 8 years a heap of rust, but still worked...Has to say something for the build quality.

I say if you really think you need a snow blower, get way more power than you think you'll need.
You want it to run without clogging (and they do clog) so expect deep snow to take a very long time with a 22" version as you can only hit a strip around half the width of the chute to allow it to chug it's way through that quantity and still allow it to throw it far enough away from you that it doesn't blow straight back in your face.
Secondly, always get a mains electrical starter unit, because that shiny lovely new object is expected to do a very nasty job.
I can't imagine a hand pull unit is going to start very well on those freezing mornings for very many years.

Good to know, thanks! I ended up taking so long to make up mind that only the 26" Yard Machines was left so I went ahead & jumped on it.

ruba816

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruba816

They are all sold out! So why are they even being advertised and why are we discusing them? What the....

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 12 Private Messages TheTexasTwister
wellIamJake wrote:I took the auger assembly off of mine, built a deck, and mounted a blade. I use it as a brush cutter in the summer, and snow blower in the winter. Takes about 5 mins for the conversion.

Can it be converted into a leaf mulcher? That is about all I'll ever use it for where I live. No snow except once every twenty or thirty years, but far too many leaves.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages boomn4x4

In this age of technology, why are we not using flamethrowers yet?

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

jessewendt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessewendt
inkycatz wrote:So! It turns out the picture was goofed up but all the specs are entirely correct. If this has caused any distress to anyone's brain, or you ordered thinking you were getting something different, please don't hesitate to drop a line to support@woot.com with your order number to discuss your despair and generate options for you. We're really sorry about that.

I responded by email immediately after this was discovered requesting my order be cancelled. I just now received another email stating my item has shipped. I still have not heard back on my request to cancel my order. Great Work!

inkycatz

jessewendt wrote:I responded by email immediately after this was discovered requesting my order be cancelled. I just now received another email stating my item has shipped. I still have not heard back on my request to cancel my order. Great Work!

We've passed this onward to see how we can help make the situation better. Sorry it's a hassle for you.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

Maybe Woot will get more of the 22" Yardman in the future since it sold out so fast.

FubarGuy

I got the notice that my model Shipped - yay!! But I can't see in the details how it will arrive - UPS, truck delivery, 8 tiny reindeer? Just wondering if I need to be home to accept it, and hide it from my thieving neighbors.

Oh yeah, when I click on the number under Order Tacking, it just cycles back to the detail page for the placed order.

dalematthew

jessewendt wrote:I responded by email immediately after this was discovered requesting my order be cancelled. I just now received another email stating my item has shipped. I still have not heard back on my request to cancel my order. Great Work!

Wow - and I swapped 4 emails with them saying I wanted it if cancelled. Denied. Woot = fail.

If you can redirect shipping will take it from you.

Pm me

dalematthew

inkycatz wrote:We've passed this onward to see how we can help make the situation better. Sorry it's a hassle for you.

This is a joke - see my emails and posts - you could have had happy wooters here