johnflufin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnflufin
leoharper wrote:A Battery Throwdown! Ladieeeees & Gentlemeeeen...and the winner, by unanimous decision (according to this independent test) is...Kodak Alkaliiiiine! Check out 3rd party testing at http://hackaday.com/2012/09/14/testing-30-brands-of-batteries/ ...AND ALSO AT... http://www.batteryshowdown.com/

This review used Kodak Xtralife batteries, not Kodak MAX, which is what Woot is offering. Different batteries I believe. Not sure of the difference but they both get only 3.5 stars on Amazon (same price too). Not great but not terrible either. You get what you pay for IMO.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
nik888 wrote:If you want crappy, used, defective products and terrible customer service then go ahead and sign up quickly with Woot.

These batteries are probably made out of bubble-gum.

Bubble Gum you say ....such wisdom!

inhymn4him

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inhymn4him

I purchased the last Kodak Battery deal from Woot. I use the batteries to power my microphones and portable video monitor's I use for video taping sports events (6yrs).
I know exactly how long these last compared to what I usually use (Walgreen Brand Alkaline). After filming a whole football season the Kodaks never made it through a complete game whereas the Walgreens aways did. Sticking with the local Home Team store WALGREENS !
Love da Woot though, embrace the woot!
Dave in Milwaukee

joelp77440

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joelp77440

But some about 2 months ago, did not last long. I think they are expired but there is no date. Some seem to keep a charge long. No sure if it is the battery or their age.

Passenger57

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Passenger57

Good price, but I'd rather pay more for rechargeables.

cpaden607

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpaden607

I've never had good luck with Energizer.. . have had several explode, corrode, or just plain die for no reason. Even the Apple wireless keyboards that shipped with Energizer Industrial have corroded inside the keyboards from sitting sealed on the shelf... Rendering the $69 keyboards junk

I have these Kodaks in my wireless keyboards, wireless mice, smoke alarms, flashlights with no issues.

I am also using them in my "higher end" Kodak camera with good results.

I just grabbed a ton of the AC Delco batteries on here a few days ago... if it wasn't for that I would buy more of these Kodaks.

For my power thirsty items I use Duracell rechargeables (that I also bought here on woot).

For the price, these Kodaks are worth it.

purplefeather

quality posts: 8 Private Messages purplefeather
nudave wrote:

Well that's interesting. I've never had a single issue with Rayovac brand though. Maybe this is just a case of the same product going out under two different brand names?

cpaden607

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpaden607
Passenger57 wrote:Good price, but I'd rather pay more for rechargeables.

True.... but most rechargables wont hold up in smoke alarms, flashlights, clocks, remotes, wireless keyboards, wireless mice, ect. Most rechargeables dont stay charged when not in use, unless you pay good money for "stay charged" batteries

aeroscout

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aeroscout
nik888 wrote:If you want crappy, used, defective products and terrible customer service then go ahead and sign up quickly with Woot.

So what are you doing here? Someone got a gun to your head?

plkiley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plkiley
FlamingoNut wrote:I'm sorry, but Kodak has to be the worst battery I have ever used. The shelf life is horrible, and once you insert the battery into a device, it never fails that they need to be replace shortly thereafter. The multipacks are always on sale at Shoprite for next to nothing, and I won't even buy them then. Major fail.

I work for the leading U.S. distributor of Kodak batteries. The Kodak "Multipacks" you're referencing that are sold "for next to nothing" at ShopRite stores on the East Coast are "Heavy Duty" (Carbon Zinc) batteries, NOT "Alkaline" batteries. Heavy Duty batteries are a good value as well, but must be used in Low Drain devices (as indicated on the back of each pack), such as traditional flashlights, basic remote controls, clocks, smoke detectors, etc. The shelf life of Heavy Duty/Carbon Zinc batteries is also about half of Alkaline right from the start. The shelf life of these Kodak Alkaline batteries are good through 2019 and performance is Long-Lasting in all devices, both High Drain and Low Drain.

RedDawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RedDawg

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. Why are battery manufacturers allowed to sell their product (which is ENERGY) without having to tell you how much of it you are buying? Gasoline manufacturers have to tell you the octane rating; natural gas is sold by the therm; the electric company charges you by the kilowatt-hour. All the battery guys have to do is tell you the size and how many are in the package when they SHOULD have to tell you the watt-hour (or more likely for AA and AAAs) the milliwatt-hour rating. There is NO WAY to comparison shop battery brands by looking at the packaging. Unit pricing SHOULD apply to batteries the same way it applies to anything else you buy in the grocery store, only it should be price per energy unit. I have written the Federal Trade Commission about this glaring omission in consumer protection but they either choose to ignore it or (more likely) have no idea what I am talking about. The only testing I am aware of (by the likes of Consumer Reports, etc.) seem to measure how long batteries last under specified load conditions. This is marginally helpful if you happen to carry the report around with you, but useless for comparison purposes at the point-of-sale, particularly for "off" brands, most of which are not covered in the testing, and which are the worst offenders in this amazingly wide-spread scam. Am I the only one who thinks something should be done about this?

Matthewl0799

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Matthewl0799

You can see in the picture they are made in China. Which means they are garbage. Walmart has packs of 36 Rayovac batteries for $10. They are made in the USA and are excellent batteries. So who would buy this Chinese junk for the same price??!!

tlesher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlesher
danwat1234 wrote:P.S.@ around 2 post above, yeah "Heavy Duty" = Zinc Carbon battery = total crap, it's really "light duty"

The reason they're called "heavy duty" is that they were an improvement over the older ZC ("general purpose" or GP) formulation that didn't perform as well under heavier power load.

Then alkaline batteries were popularized in (I think) the 80s and performed even better than ZC Heavy Duty.

I don't think you can even get GP batteries anymore.

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228
Passenger57 wrote:Good price, but I'd rather pay more for rechargeables.

Kudos to you. I agree. You always end up saving a lot of money, and being kind to the environment as well, reducing a lot of packaging waste and toxic wastes.

I'd HIGHLY recommend using Sanyo's Eneloop rechargeables. They last longer (lower internal resistance) and one cell replaces 1,500, reducing waste. All wedding photographers swear by them.

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313
lll0228 wrote:Kudos to you. I agree. You always end up saving a lot of money, and being kind to the environment as well, reducing a lot of packaging waste and toxic wastes.

I'd HIGHLY recommend using Sanyo's Eneloop rechargeables. They last longer (lower internal resistance) and one cell replaces 1,500, reducing waste. All wedding photographers swear by them.

I do prefer rechargeable batteries, but honestly the difference in power between them and alkaline batteries has me kind of worried (1.5v alkalines vs 1.2 v NiMH rechargeable). I have a lot of kid's toys that require several batteries, and once you factor the difference in power for all of the batteries, it adds up. I personally haven't conducted any experiments regarding power loss, but I really don't want to spend way more money on something that possibly isn't going to cut it...

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313

Well, I ordered some, so hopefully it's at least sugar free bubble gum. I wouldn't want any cavities! Woot customer service has ALWAYS been SUPERB for me, so I'm not sure what you did to make them hate you so much.

datasniper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages datasniper

What can it hurt to have a few extra batteries lying around. Even if they may be a short charge. They will come in handy in the long run.

jeffredo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jeffredo

I'll stick with US made Rayovac or Duracell's. They last much longer than cheap Chinese alkalines (of any brand).

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
flyfisherwiz wrote:My wifes runs on Mr. Fusion and has a Flux capacitor just in case she wants to go back to the future again and again and again .... ;)

I think we have a winner ladies and gentlemen

nancydom52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancydom52

I bought Kodak Extralife batteries last time and have not had any problems with them. The back of the package says 2011 and I believe that is the manufacture date. I have other batteries than Kodak and their pkg. says 7 yr shelf life so I am sure Kodak is comparable.

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo

Well at least they're Alkaline. Woot use to sell carbon zinc which are totally worthless.

dyaniyam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dyaniyam

In for two. One for me, one for Salvation Army. They've helped me on the past and I'd like to return the favor. Thanks Woot!

dxp232

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dxp232

In for 3. Despite what folks here are saying I have purchased these over and over and they handle my kids toys reasonably well, especially when you consider the cost...

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

Unless you are bent on the longest lasting alkaline AA cells at any price, go for the best value per watt. At $.27 per cell (shipped) this is a good value. I've used these Kodak cells and they last just about as long as the conventional Energizer and Duracell.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

plkiley

nancydom52 wrote:I bought Kodak Extralife batteries last time and have not had any problems with them. The back of the package says 2011 and I believe that is the manufacture date. I have other batteries than Kodak and their pkg. says 7 yr shelf life so I am sure Kodak is comparable.

Yes, the date on the back of most retail battery packages is the date of manufacture, while the "Shelf Life", "Good Thru" or "Best if Used By" date is always listed on the front (usually in a bottom corner) and can also be found on the bottom of the battery cell itself on Kodak Alkaline batteries. These Kodak Alkaline batteries were all just produced in 2012 and are "Best if Used By" 2019!

Mystic2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mystic2

And you were able to determine this by one purchase and being a customer for all of 15 days....good bye, go complain somewhere else

mcdaniel315

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdaniel315

can I order one of each?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

mcdaniel315 wrote:can I order one of each?

hey there. sorry you didn't get a response sooner. you should be able to order one of each by clicking "I want one" and then choosing 2 on the "Quantity" menu. Then you can select the ones you want to buy.

let us know if that doesn't work.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

styflan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages styflan
mcdaniel315 wrote:can I order one of each?

Yup, I just ordered 1 of each. Batteries, Oh happy day!

Bobbb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bobbb

Not that great a deal
Especially for going out of business Junk Kodak batteries.
These are a better all around deal.
Maxell AA Cell 48 Pack Box Battery
$11.83 with Subscribe & Save.
Plus they're not Kodaks

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-723443-Cell-Pack-Battery/dp/B002PY7P4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1354837083&sr=1-1&keywords=B002PY7P4I

durumcan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages durumcan

correction: they don't have customer service. that's why they are able to sell all that crap way cheaper than the marketplace prices.

maybejet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maybejet
yeahbuddy wrote:Consumer Reports results summarized at http://www.ksla.com/story/5631320/consumer-alert-finding-the-best-battery-bargains?clienttype=printable

Powering everything from digital cameras and portable music players to laser tools and even tape measures, it's no wonder we spend over four-billion dollars a year on batteries. But how do you know what's the best battery for your needs?

Consumer Reports just ran tests on 16 different disposable double-A batteries, including ones from Duracell, Panasonic, and Energizer. There were four types in all - lithium, premium alkaline, regular alkaline, and nickel oxy-hydroxide.

Tests evaluated the battery life in high-drain devices, like a digital camera, and medium-drain devices such as a CD player.

"Our tests showed big differences in battery performance depending on what's being powered. So it really makes sense when you're buying disposable batteries to have a specific device in mind,"said one expert, Kim Kleman.

The best battery for a digital camera turned out to be the Energizer e-2 Lithium, which easily outperformed the Duracell Power Pix and Panasonic Oxyride batteries. At two-dollars-and-35-cents a piece, the Energizer was the most expensive battery tested. But considering the e-2 ran three to seven times longer than the batteries tested - Consumer Reports says it's worth the extra cost.

"But when it comes to devices that don't need a lot of power - you don't need to buy expensive batteries, just buy the cheapest highly rated alkaline you can find," says Kleman.

Consumer Reports tests found the Kirkland Signature double-A battery from Costco performed very well and goes for about 20-cents a piece.

OK, all you CostCo lovers, (1) Convince CostCo to build a warehouse less than 2 hours from my home; (2) Convince CostCo to provide me with a free membership or a HUGE bonus for signing-up!

I have a Sam's Club Business Membership (and two Sam's within 25 minutes of my house); BUT, if they have a better price than Woot...SO WHAT!!! Not everyone that Woots is a member of a silly warehouse shopping club. Some people, certainly not me, have better sense than to pay a company to shop in one of their outlets...eventually I will break even.

scottydl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scottydl

Be aware that batteries are among the most fraudulently-labeled items on the retail market. If these are not in original retail packaging or the inventory source is unknown, they are likely recycled used batteries or inferior copycat batteries made in China and marked with a major label (in this case Kodak).

Just be aware, and test the voltage on every single one (should be around 1.6V when new) if you buy.

biggchief75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biggchief75

"heavy duty" batteries are not for high drain devices. Though it sounds like they have more power, that's not entirely true or false. HD batteries are designed for longevity in low drain devices like tv remote controls and smoke detectors!!!

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
maybejet wrote:OK, all you CostCo lovers, (1) Convince CostCo to build a warehouse less than 2 hours from my home; (2) Convince CostCo to provide me with a free membership or a HUGE bonus for signing-up!

I have a Sam's Club Business Membership (and two Sam's within 25 minutes of my house); BUT, if they have a better price than Woot...SO WHAT!!! Not everyone that Woots is a member of a silly warehouse shopping club. Some people, certainly not me, have better sense than to pay a company to shop in one of their outlets...eventually I will break even.

I've bought these Kodak batteries in the past from Woot and they have worked fine for me,not quite as good as the Kirkland brand but close.
LOL,somehow I think Costco will continue to do well without you buying a membership

Costco is the 3rd largest retailer in the U.S. (behind Wal-Mart & Kroger) and the 7th largest retailer in the world by sales, as well as ranking #25 on the Fortune 500.
It's worked out well for you and Costco,so lets keep things as they are.

rosedude

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rosedude
scottydl wrote:Be aware that batteries are among the most fraudulently-labeled items on the retail market. If these are not in original retail packaging or the inventory source is unknown, they are likely recycled used batteries or inferior copycat batteries made in China and marked with a major label (in this case Kodak).

Just be aware, and test the voltage on every single one (should be around 1.6V when new) if you buy.

I can hardly wait to drive to Texas with my trusty VOM and ask Thunder Thighs if I can check the voltage on 72 batteries in Woot's warehouse! I agree that batteries can be a gamble but when you are buying 72 batteries at a time you are either a heavy user or you want to stockpile them.

I use Eneloop rechargeables on the toys that I use often but you shouldn't leave batteries in devices that you use only occasionally.

When you take the partially used batteries out you need to put them somewhere. I put these alkalines in all the remote controls I have, most of which I don't use often. My kids are the heavy battery users and I let them raid a few remote controls to feed their toys.

It sounds complicated but the trick is to hide the stash of fresh batteries from the kids until most of the remotes are empty, then replenish the remotes. This causes all batteries all the devices to get changed more often and I always have a stash of reasonably fresh alkalines on hand.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
Bobbb wrote:Not that great a deal
Plus they're not Kodaks

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-723443-Cell-Pack-Battery/dp/B002PY7P4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1354837083&sr=1-1&keywords=B002PY7P4I

Just FYI, these are not junk batteries. You don't know what you are talking about.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

plkiley

scottydl wrote:Be aware that batteries are among the most fraudulently-labeled items on the retail market. If these are not in original retail packaging or the inventory source is unknown, they are likely recycled used batteries or inferior copycat batteries made in China and marked with a major label (in this case Kodak).

Kodak Distributor here again. I can assure you 100% these batteries are 100% new batteries (manufactured within last 6 months or less) and 100% manufactured by Kodak. Yes they are manufactured in China, but as has been mentioned, all High Value battery brands are now manufactured in China.

plkiley

Plus they're not Kodaks

#1, Kodak is not out of business, and not even going out of business. They are nearly completed with a necessary restructuring and completely on track to emerge from this in early 2013.
#2, Kodak Alkaline batteries consistently outperform Maxell batteries.
#3, How are these "junk batteries" again?

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
Plus they're not Kodaks

I don't think you know what you're talking about here and I doubt you've even tried the Kodak batterie. I have used the Maxell and Kodak and I had better results with the Kodak. This is a very good deal especially if you're buying three sets.