WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Death By A Thousand Cutleries

Hold on, hold on, are you using a boning knife to cut a lemon? ARE THE VANDALS AT THE GATES OF ROME? Don't you know that every knife has a purpose -- a path -- which must be strictly kept to lest the galaxy spin off its axis and veer into the empty meaninglessness of space? 

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Remember, handwash the bamboo. You'll thank yourself later.

Let's hear those cutting comparisons between knife sets below.

I'm just hanging out, really.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

So it seems that my dream of grabbing a few Kai Tan Ren's for my foodie friends isn't going to come true. Looks as though those deals are long gone, eh?

I'd get these, which are actually better - but $$$.

Sakusami

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sakusami

Nice, The JosephJoseph cutting boards have everything I could ever want. A neat stand, A cutting board for meat, fish, vegetables, and... soup? Or is that a Jellyfish? I have always wanted a cutting board specifically for Jellyfish.

lmaxwellb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lmaxwellb

I looked around for the set of six signum wmf steak knives, definitely a good deal here, as compared elsewhere, but no reviews that I could find. I like how they look, but what is the quality? Thanks

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
Sakusami wrote:Nice, The JosephJoseph cutting boards have everything I could ever want. A neat stand, A cutting board for meat, fish, vegetables, and... soup? Or is that a Jellyfish? I have always wanted a cutting board specifically for Jellyfish.

I believe that would be an onion.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

So woot, you can offer me hundred dollar knifes, but you can't give me a good deal on a decent butchers block style cutting board? I don't want these cheap bamboo boards.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

theuser900

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theuser900

Is there any danger of the copper leeching out if you use the anniversary 8in chef's knife with acidic foods like lemons? I know that can be an issue if you use a copper bowl meant for egg whites with cut fruit sometimes.

javiermauro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages javiermauro

WOW!!!

First Sucker:
zachs858

Last Wooter to Woot:
zachs858

Just one sucker bought this knife....
ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

JR

serenitysk8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages serenitysk8r

I bought the Joseph Joseph cutting board set about a month ago, and it's working great in my kitchen. The holder looks good and is a great way of keeping all of the boards together and easily accessible. The cutting boards are a practical size for most things and seem to be standing up well to knives and the dishwasher. My daughter likes them so much that she asked me to get her a set -- so I'm in for another!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
theuser900 wrote:Is there any danger of the copper leeching out if you use the anniversary 8in chef's knife with acidic foods like lemons? I know that can be an issue if you use a copper bowl meant for egg whites with cut fruit sometimes.

According to our vendor, this is not possible with this knife.

I'm just hanging out, really.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom

Damn, I missed the 10" Elite chef's knife again. Please warn me next time! I have a job and can't keep checking Woot all day.

thehell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thehell

Color-Coded Index Chopping Boards Hey, found what appears to be the same thing for $19.99 on Ben's outlet (http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/chopping-boards)

WootTheHell?

soshshops

quality posts: 2 Private Messages soshshops

How do i miss the ken onion santoku knife every time? Have the chef's knife and it is my go to knife...passing over a full set of Globals. Darn!

onthedl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onthedl
craigthom wrote:Damn, I missed the 10" Elite chef's knife again. Please warn me next time! I have a job and can't keep checking Woot all day.

Tell me about it!

craigthom

North316 wrote:So woot, you can offer me hundred dollar knifes, but you can't give me a good deal on a decent butchers block style cutting board? I don't want these cheap bamboo boards.

That would be great. I'd love to see a nice end-grain board.

I have this large bamboo board, and it is nice and well-made, but it doesn't feel all that great under the knife.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

The 8" chef's knife is $299 on Amazon.

squatchy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages squatchy
prttymf8 wrote:The 8" chef's knife is $299 on Amazon.

That Limited Edition 8" chef is pretty!
Like you said though its $299.95 everywhere (Amazon, Zappos, 6pm, KnifeCenter, Cutlery and More, Cooks Warehouse, etc.), and with free shipping. So this really isn't a deal at all.
If only the Elite 8" chef knife (or something similar) would come back up

yuusou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yuusou

So some dude in Colorado bought all 5 of the 10" elite. I bet you he's just reselling them. Thanks a lot guy, I could have actually used that for work.

bobmoll

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bobmoll
yuusou wrote:So some dude in Colorado bought all 5 of the 10" elite. I bet you he's just reselling them. Thanks a lot guy, I could have actually used that for work.

Looks like there was only one for sale. First and last wooter the same, and "100% bought 1". Be surprised if it even offered the choice to buy more than one on a high-demand great deal like that knife.

cbetka13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbetka13

How about some nice Kai Shun Hinoki Cutting Boards to go with all these great Shun knives??? that really is what one wants - no bambooses nor Booses

telepathboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages telepathboy
serenitysk8r wrote:I bought the Joseph Joseph cutting board set about a month ago, and it's working great in my kitchen. The holder looks good and is a great way of keeping all of the boards together and easily accessible. The cutting boards are a practical size for most things and seem to be standing up well to knives and the dishwasher. My daughter likes them so much that she asked me to get her a set -- so I'm in for another!

You know, I was looking at those (because the little organizer in me just loves the idea of having four cutting boards that all put away well).

But my problem... it doesn't look like any of them have the little channel to catch liquid run off. This hasn't been a problem for you at all?

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
squatchy wrote:That Limited Edition 8" chef is pretty!
Like you said though its $299.95 everywhere (Amazon, Zappos, 6pm, KnifeCenter, Cutlery and More, Cooks Warehouse, etc.), and with free shipping. So this really isn't a deal at all.
If only the Elite 8" chef knife (or something similar) would come back up

That was my initial thought. It's a pretty knife. I got the 7" santoku last time around and I just love it. Almost jumped on the Limited Edition knife before I saw that I can buy it at this price whenever. Maybe after Christmas if my company decides to give me a bonus.

castagnolac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages castagnolac

Nice...so they had one at this price? No wonder I always miss out on this deal!

javiermauro wrote:WOW!!!

First Sucker:
zachs858

Last Wooter to Woot:
zachs858

Just one sucker bought this knife....
ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

stantonl33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stantonl33
thumperchick wrote:So it seems that my dream of grabbing a few Kai Tan Ren's for my foodie friends isn't going to come true. Looks as though those deals are long gone, eh?

I'd get these, which are actually better - but $$$.

I was able to grab a set of those Kai Tan Ren's a year ago. I love them. I grabbed a 5in ken onion for the hell of it earlier this year and I honestly prefer the Kai's.

The ken onion is nice but the Kai's seem sharper to me.

quizamo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quizamo

How often do these knives come around? I'm also trying to find out if the Ken Onion 7pc block set is worth a go.

SkwerlKC

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SkwerlKC
quizamo wrote:How often do these knives come around? I'm also trying to find out if the Ken Onion 7pc block set is worth a go.

I love my Ken Onions. This is an FANTASTIC deal. This ol' whore paid full price for a bunch of his Ken Onions, so I am jealous!

SkwerlKC

I would not recommend the electric sharpener. You will likely do more damage to your blades than good. Shun's very rarely need sharpening with typical home use ("No, that marble pastry slab is NOT a cutting board, dear."). Learn to hone and you'll be fine without needing your blades sharpened for years, and Shun offers free professional sharpening.

Stupoopy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Stupoopy

Can we get "made in" information? Where are the Ginsu knives made?

SkwerlKC

Stupoopy wrote:Can we get "made in" information? Where are the Ginsu knives made?

They are cheap junk. Where do you think they are made? Let's play Hangman! I'll even give you the first letter:
C----

Stupoopy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Stupoopy
SkwerlKC wrote:They are cheap junk. Where do you think they are made? Let's play Hangman! I'll even give you the first letter:
C----

Chile?
Congo?

Wubintheya

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wubintheya

Is there a difference between the ken onions and ken onion elite?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Stupoopy wrote:Chile?
Congo?

CAIRO?
CLAMS?
CROME?
CRAZL?
CORNS?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

IAmCole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IAmCole
Wubintheya wrote:Is there a difference between the ken onions and ken onion elite?

I think the elite is harder steel making it keep it's edge longer but making it more brittle and subject to chipping. As for looks, they look pretty similar, but the elite has a thin colored band around the top of the handle (you can see it in the pictures) and the pattern on the blades is slightly different. It almost looks like water distorting light to me vs the regular ken onion that looks kind of like a tree ring except straight across instead of circular.

craigf

quality posts: 2 Private Messages craigf

We bought a 3-piece set of the Core bamboo cutting boards and they're very cheap...I wouldn't recommend them at any price. They're very rough and little strands of bamboo constantly slough off them, getting in food. If the slivers were any stouter, I'd be concerned about splinters, but they're too weak to penetrate skin. In contrast, a set that looks similar, but which is much better made, is a brand called Bambu. Not much more expensive ($18 at Bed, Bath & Beyond), but MUCH nicer.

squatchy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages squatchy
Wubintheya wrote:Is there a difference between the ken onions and ken onion elite?

The regular Ken Onions use the VG-10 steel core like the Classic series. The Ken Onion Elite uses the SG-2 powdered steel core used in the Elite and other higher end series. The SG-2 steel has a more uniform grain structure, and is made to a higher rating on the Rockwell hardness scale.

seattlekleins

quality posts: 8 Private Messages seattlekleins
quizamo wrote:How often do these knives come around? I'm also trying to find out if the Ken Onion 7pc block set is worth a go.

Grab it. I don't remember seeing a Ken Onion set on woot before, and Shun is no longer making them. That's why it's so hard to find a lot of the Shun Elite series as well - haven't made them in nearly 2 years.

That said, be aware that if you have smaller hands, the Ken Onion handles may not be ideal for you.

yrguide

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide

Oh woot, I need a set of 4 shun steak knives. You thwart me yet again by only allowing me 3.

Why do you taunt me?

Back to ebay. Sigh.

craigthom

seattlekleins wrote:Grab it. I don't remember seeing a Ken Onion set on woot before, and Shun is no longer making them. That's why it's so hard to find a lot of the Shun Elite series as well - haven't made them in nearly 2 years.

That said, be aware that if you have smaller hands, the Ken Onion handles may not be ideal for you.

There have been a lot of the Onion sets and individual knives on Woot.com the last few months. They must have bought most of the remaining stock.

My hands aren't small, but I don't like the feel of the Onion knives. I prefer the Classic line. Although I would have bought that 10" Elite in a flash if it had been available.

dngrcnnn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dngrcnnn
SkwerlKC wrote:Shun offers free professional sharpening.

I was going to say they stopped doing that, but as of Sept, they started again. Looks like I'll finally send mine in the get sharpened. Huzzah!