4%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Pyrex Easy Grab 19-Piece Bake Set
$39.99 + $5 Standard OR $15 Two-Day OR $18 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

mnbigguy

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mnbigguy

I've wooted up a bunch of Pyrex lately and the stuff is awesome. How do I know this? My wife is very happy when the woot box arrives with more Pyrex. She loves the quality and how it cleans up compared to Tupperware and other stuff like it.

Nice price also by woot.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

It's not your grandmother's lab-quality Pyrex, but this is still good stuff. Cooking and storing in glass doesn't impart those odd flavors and aromas that most plastics do (not to mention the PBAs). Hooray glass!

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

I swear my Pyrex dishes are stronger than Captain America's shield. My favorite part about them is that they are so easy to clean. It's important to note that although the dishes themselves are microwave safe their lids are not.

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

teddypimp21

quality posts: 7 Private Messages teddypimp21

If you're an Amazon Prime member, this set is going to run you 44.05 plus tax if applicable. You get free 2 day shipping too. I'm not sure that counts as Woot deal. :/

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou

I wonder just how many are going to have "breakage" on account of the "retail" packaging.

Last time I got Pyrex, took 3 tries.

steve

mamala53

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mamala53

I agree with the poster above who compared it with Amazon's price. I wish these sets didn't include the pie plate and custard cups. I need more food storage instead.

traumarama

quality posts: 1 Private Messages traumarama

I recently dumped all of my plasticware to invest in both Rubbermaid and Pyrex glass storage sets. By far, I prefer the Pyrex over their competitor. I can attest to the ease of washing and I love that my food no longer retains that delicious plastic flavor. Haven't had one break yet either and I use them every day for lunches at work. I like this set because it's a little more unique than the pieces I have at home and probably better quality than the bakeware I have, too.

stazja01

quality posts: 7 Private Messages stazja01

I just got this Pyrex set or one very similar to it from woot maybe a couple months ago. It's fantastic and totally worth paying more than the off brand sets. Whereas I've had issues with off-brand glassware chipping just from stacking these have been extremely durable. I have a convection oven and love being able to make small egg bakes for breakfast from time to time in the smaller circular containers. I like that I can bake something and then throw a lid on it for storage. The pie container is great for making quiche.

This message not sent from an overhyped iPhone

popularoutcast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages popularoutcast

I got mine from Woot at the same price almost exactly one year ago (by 3 days!). I have used everything except the pie dish.

These are great to clean and although they are dishwasher safe, the most effective way of cleaning baked on gunk just seems to be to let them soak.

I use the custard cups often but not with custard. They are great for just about anything ... beating one egg with a fork, mixing small amounts of liquid stuff, ice cream, snacks for visitors.

Is this a good price? Being that I paid the same a year ago, I would say that it's not a great deal but the product is great.

CharlesBurns

quality posts: 8 Private Messages CharlesBurns

Pyrex used to make their stuff using Borosilicate glass: The type used in lab equipment because of its high resistance to thermal shock, which helps prevent breaking when the temperature suddenly changes.

Unfortunately, they now use the same basic type of cheap glass that windows are made from, and their containers can more easily be shattered during cooking or when cooled quickly in water.

charlottelouise1911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages charlottelouise1911

Woot has absolutely horrid customer service. They open case files and then you never hear from them again.. Do not buy from them!!!!

ElephantNest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElephantNest

If these were BPA-free, I'd consider it.

countryjustice

quality posts: 1 Private Messages countryjustice
CharlesBurns wrote:Pyrex used to make their stuff using Borosilicate glass: The type used in lab equipment because of its high resistance to thermal shock.

How, alas, they use cheap glass and their containers can easily be shattered, leaving shards in food, by sudden temperature changes.

How can you tell? Heat up your Pyrex on burner and then pour water into it.

Or better yet, don't do that, since you're specifically instructed by the manufacturer that it would be a bad thing to do.

CasualSax

quality posts: 8 Private Messages CasualSax

All of Pyrex's lids are BPA free, and the glass doesn't contain BPA. You're good to go.

Don't buy into the argument about new/old Pyrex, either ("new" Pyrex dishes are supposedly more likely to shatter in the oven than the "old" Pyrex stuff). As long as you let a dish warm up to room temperature before going to the oven from the fridge/freezer, you'll be fine.

24 x woots (0 Bunnies Ogling Carrots )
23 x shirts (18 Random )
.5 x wine (split order)
5 x sellout (mandatory parentheses)
1 x kids (did I win yet?)

geri9254

quality posts: 1 Private Messages geri9254
countryjustice wrote:Or better yet, don't do that, since you're specifically instructed by the manufacturer that it would be a bad thing to do.

It seems that every time woot! offers Pyrex this same old thing comes up about Pyrex exploding. For those of you who haven't taken the time to further explore this situation, I've decided to post the link from our good old friend Snopes, so everyone can read all about it and decide if they feel the risks are worth the convenience of glass bakeware. http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp Personally, a little bit of basic kitchen safety and the lab safety your 7th grade science teacher taught you and your family, pets, food and kitchen should be safe.

gina3graces

quality posts: 41 Private Messages gina3graces

This is such a lovely set. What a great gift it would make.

ferretwoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ferretwoman

I got this from a previous Woot sale and it gets used daily. I have had no problems taking stuff from the fridge, letting it sit out for a few minutes, then putting it in a 350 degree oven. Also, earlier this week one of the custard cups was knocked off the kitchen counter and didn't break or chip. I'm impressed. Love the lids - no more foil cover for putting it in the fridge. Anybody who doesn't already have this set would appreciate it as a gift.

clarasayre

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clarasayre

BE CAREFUL ORDERING PYREX THROUGH WOOT. I've been happy with every other purchase through Woot, but when they advertised Pyrex the last time, I ordered it and it was shattered during delivery, so UPS sent the package back to Woot. I checked the forums for the product and almost every single person who posted said they had the same problem. I'm not sure if the product wasn't packaged correctly or if UPS is careless with their fragile packages, but most of us did not get what we ordered and instead, simply got our money back. Very sad day...I was really excited about owning a Pyrex set.

squarooticus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squarooticus

On a related note, does anyone know where one can find reasonably-price borosilicate cookware? Modern Pyrex is not suitable for cooking because of the temperature shock instability, but sometimes glass is the right thing to cook in.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

*UPDATE*

The retail price for today's Woot sale (Pyrex Easy Grab 19-Piece Bake Set) has been lowered from $39.99 to $36.99.

If you purchased an order earlier this morning at the original price, you should receive an email from Woot Member Services soon with this correction, as well as a refund of the difference.

If you are concerned with your purchase, please feel free to email Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to help you out.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

l36suds

quality posts: 0 Private Messages l36suds
squarooticus wrote:On a related note, does anyone know where one can find reasonably-price borosilicate cookware? Modern Pyrex is not suitable for cooking because of the temperature shock instability, but sometimes glass is the right thing to cook in.

Google has all kinds of information.

N. Ellen

wootsmoke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootsmoke

do not buy... last time this was on woot everything was broken the box they come in has a little paper between them.. it will not survive the ride to your house.

Mr. Woot Smoke

teespeak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teespeak
charlottelouise1911 wrote:Woot has absolutely horrid customer service. They open case files and then you never hear from them again.. Do not buy from them!!!!

I strongly disagree with this post. I had a problem with a broken item this week and it was taken care of immediately by the great Woot customer/support team. Notified them on the 4th of Dec. and had a refund to my cc on the 7th.

LaMaestra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LaMaestra

Aw, shucks! I was just about to buy when I read the broken in transit comments - I don't have time to deal with returning stuff. Can anyone speak to whether the packaging has been improved?

tonispinone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tonispinone

I bought a Pyrex storage set last year. One of the bowls was chipped. I contacted Woot customer service and they sent a new bowl. Easy as that. We've used the storage set to cook and store and my hubby takes it to work. No chips and certainly nothing has broken. We have a couple rubber maid bowls that are the same size and I like the Pyrex lids much better. The rubber maid needs a rubber band to keep it on when in the lunch box.

mzbuzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mzbuzz

charlottelouise1911 wrote:Woot has absolutely horrid customer service. They open case files and then you never hear from them again.. Do not buy from them!!!!

teespeak wrote:I strongly disagree with this post. I had a problem with a broken item this week and it was taken care of immediately by the great Woot customer/support team. Notified them on the 4th of Dec. and had a refund to my cc on the 7th.

I strongly disagree as well. I've never had a problem with Woot customer service and I've had to return an item more than once. Not sure why you had an issue, but I am pretty sure that Woot will correct it for you if you follow the proper channels.

kvordenbaum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kvordenbaum

I bought 3 of these last year. One I gave to my mom, one to my sister, and one to myself for Christmas. We all love them a lot. I use mine all the time.

rockteacherjan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockteacherjan

I have no comments on the Pyrex shipping but I will say that Woot has the BEST customer service.
If you had a problem, I'm sure it was just an oversight.

I've bought from them for years and have nothing but great praise for their customer service!!

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
wootsmoke wrote:do not buy... last time this was on woot everything was broken the box they come in has a little paper between them.. it will not survive the ride to your house.

I bought this and other Pyrex arriving in PRISTINE condition always.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

unixrab

quality posts: 10 Private Messages unixrab
rockteacherjan wrote:I have no comments on the Pyrex shipping but I will say that Woot has the BEST customer service.
If you had a problem, I'm sure it was just an oversight.

I've bought from them for years and have nothing but great praise for their customer service!!

woot customer service rules ... as of today ;-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

pwdrskir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pwdrskir
CharlesBurns wrote:Pyrex used to make their stuff using Borosilicate glass: The type used in lab equipment because of its high resistance to thermal shock, which helps prevent breaking when the temperature suddenly changes.

Unfortunately, they now use the same basic type of cheap glass that windows are made from, and their containers can more easily be shattered during cooking or when cooled quickly in water.

Pyrex, not what it used to be...
Make sure it is "Borosilicate glass". Corning sold the Pyrex brand to World Kitchen in 1998 and they started marketing Pyrex as pre-stressed soda-lime glass.

This from Popular Science:
"Pyrex, which originally was always borosilicate glass, solved this problem by adding boron to the silica (quartz), the main ingredient in all glass. Boron changes the atomic structure of glass so it stays roughly the same size regardless of its temperature. Little thermal expansion means little stress. Thus borosilicate glass withstands heat not because it’s stronger, but because it doesn’t need to be stronger."

"When World Kitchen took over the Pyrex brand, it started making more products out of pre-stressed soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate. With pre-stressed, or tempered, glass, the surface is under compression from forces inside the glass. It is stronger than borosilicate glass, but when it’s heated, it still expands as much as ordinary glass does. It doesn’t shatter immediately, because the expansion first acts only to release some of the built-in stress. But only up to a point."

trbofr13nd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trbofr13nd

bake sets are cool

Sig sig sig sig sig

countryjustice

quality posts: 1 Private Messages countryjustice

If anyone you know is cooking in Pyrex at a temperature high enough to make it shatter, heretofore kindly refuse any future invitations to dinner at his/her home.

Axe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Axe
clarasayre wrote:BE CAREFUL ORDERING PYREX THROUGH WOOT. I've been happy with every other purchase through Woot, but when they advertised Pyrex the last time, I ordered it and it was shattered during delivery, so UPS sent the package back to Woot. I checked the forums for the product and almost every single person who posted said they had the same problem. I'm not sure if the product wasn't packaged correctly or if UPS is careless with their fragile packages, but most of us did not get what we ordered and instead, simply got our money back. Very sad day...I was really excited about owning a Pyrex set.

Labeling a package fragile does nothing to alter the handling it receives from UPS in most cases. I believe this is similar to other shipping services. As a former UPS worker who loaded their trailers I assure you the only labels on the thousands of packages per hour that meant anything to us was the address label. Even an exceptionally conscientious employee would do nothing more than attempt to load the package in a spot where it is only slightly less likely to be damaged. The option simply isn't there for ground service. Air service you're dealing with a much smaller volume of packages, so it will be loaded and unloaded fewer times. It still won't get special handling because it is labeled fragile.

If a package is fragile the shipper needs to pack it more securely. Relying on a sometimes hand scrawled label to protect a fragile package is approximately as effective as praying for its safe arrival.

creepily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages creepily
pwdrskir wrote:Pyrex, not what it used to be...
Make sure it is "Borosilicate glass". Corning sold the Pyrex brand to World Kitchen in 1998 and they started marketing Pyrex as pre-stressed soda-lime glass.

This from Popular Science:
"Pyrex, which originally was always borosilicate glass, solved this problem by adding boron to the silica (quartz), the main ingredient in all glass. Boron changes the atomic structure of glass so it stays roughly the same size regardless of its temperature. Little thermal expansion means little stress. Thus borosilicate glass withstands heat not because it’s stronger, but because it doesn’t need to be stronger."

"When World Kitchen took over the Pyrex brand, it started making more products out of pre-stressed soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate. With pre-stressed, or tempered, glass, the surface is under compression from forces inside the glass. It is stronger than borosilicate glass, but when it’s heated, it still expands as much as ordinary glass does. It doesn’t shatter immediately, because the expansion first acts only to release some of the built-in stress. But only up to a point."

Thrift Stores. I buy old pyrex all the time, from pie plates to oblong casserole dishes. I haven't paid more than $6 for anything. People are throwing the old stuff out and buying new, they have no idea the new stuff isn't as good. Of you can find Fire King, buy it. Check out Ebay and see what people are selling that stuff for, it's insane. Visit a thrift store in a small town for the best deals.

zqxthree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zqxthree

I count only 18!

bluetechnx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluetechnx
zqxthree wrote:I count only 18!

It looks like 1 oblong isnt clearly shown ...

1- 9"x13" Oblong Dish with Lid
1 - 7"x11" Oblong Dish with Lid
1 - 8"x8" Square Dish with Lid
1 - 5.25"x8.75" Loaf Dish with Lid
1 - 2.5 Quart Mixing Bowl with Lid
1 - 1.5 Quart Mixing Bowl with Lid
1 - 1 Quart Mixing Bowl with Lid
1 - 9.5" Pie Plate
4 - 10 Ounce Custard Cups

wonderboy703

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderboy703

No thanks dont feel like having to clean up after it explodes in my oven.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/pyrex.html