MeJoJo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MeJoJo
Hankshanker wrote:No, really! You must sneak up on 'em!

If you want to witness the summertime spectacle of giant sea turtles coming ashore to dig their nests and lay eggs, which almost invariably happens at night down my way, and you want to do so responsibly, then you have to use a red light such as emitted by this here fancy flashlight. To do otherwise would be the height of environmental incorrectness.

It's an unusual but notable application for this product, which with the flip of a switch may be handy on the dark walk home as well.

What some of you are yammering on about, I have no idea (wink).

During turtle nesting & hatching season - May to October here in SoFla - lights on the beach, including flashlights can confuse nesting turtles and hatchlings. Red filter over the lens is okay, this flashlight with red 'mode' is pretty dang cool! Gotta have it! :-D

mst3kguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mst3kguy

i'm seeing plenty of remarks that this would make a great stocking stuffer. do we know woot will get this to us by 12/24?

djmj99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages djmj99

An LED flashlight minus CREE technology? No thanks.

levijordan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages levijordan

Got 3 from the last woot sale. Arrived last week. Great flashlights! Lowes sold them for $35. $10 here is a steal! 100 lumens from a tiny size is blinding... The brand is quality first, but and the fit finish shows. Buttons are small but solid and give you a feeling of satisfaction when clicking away from boredom. So stop reading reviews, and buy some for stocking... Or for you. Youll feel great saving so much $, or you can gloat for having deep pockets.

sunny441

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sunny441

In for 2.

One for the car. One for my flight bag; if and when I do go flying at night. The red light is most helpful in the cockpit.

oio

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oio

Fry's has this style of flashlight for $5-10 in their clearance bins all the time. Nothing to really get excited about. The 3xAAA powered flashlights are a pain because AAA's just don't last nearly as long as AA cells.

I'll stick with lithium-cell powered torches with Cree emitters :D

beau07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beau07

Bought 3 of these last month on here. Great light,comes with extra batteries and belt holster. Small enough to carry in your pocket too.

ttuclint

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ttuclint

Have owned this flashlight for a few years now and use it all the time. Paid at least 30 at Lowe's, heck of a deal here. Bought 3 to have an extra and give a few out for Christmas.

Just fyi for the ignorant posts claiming these are equivalent to the $3 lights you see at HF and the like, not even close or comparable.

nairb101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nairb101

Get a couple of those 2/$3 (sometimes free w/coupon) aluminum LED flashlights at HF, add red filter, done.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger
djmj99 wrote:An LED flashlight minus CREE technology? No thanks.

Cree isn't the only manufacturer of high power LEDs, you know. The brightest ones out there aren't even made by Cree. There's Seoul Semiconductors, Luminous, Lumileds...

DaZoneRanger

Natja1334 wrote:It's obvious this light is just a cheepy. perhaps a well made cheepy, but a cheepy none the less. One clue is that it has several LED's yet can only produce 100 lumens. When a real true high brightness tactical light for instance needs only one LED. So the LED's they put in these are not up to par. I own a Streamlight Strion which I picked up for $65 off of Amazon. It comes with it's own charging system, and internal battery that lasts hundreds of charges and it can do 180 lumens. 180 real time lumens. This thing here probably only does around 60-80 ansi lumens at best. For $9.99 it makes for a nice little stocking stuffer, but despite what the dexcription say's, take my word for it, no one in law enjforcement would use this thing on duty, no way.

Ledlenser has been around for a while and have always had a reputation for making a quality light. Of course it has multiple LEDs, as it has more than one type of light (color). I don't have this light, but if it's claiming 100 lumens of white light, then it's going to come from a single, high-powered LED. The red is almost certainly going to be a series of red 5mm LEDs, which is what you will typically find in a white/red combo light, even those made by Surefire that sell for hundreds of dollars.

No doubt that Streamlight makes a good, light, though (they did have a run of really cruddy Lux V based lights in the past, though...really cruddy). I'm assuming you have the LED version of the strion, which I haven't see in person, but it appears they're claiming 160 lumens, not 180. But really, 100 lumens is plenty for most tasks and for $10, it's a steal. Hell, it wasn't too long ago that 100 lumens from an LED would have been king of the hill and considered knock-your-socks-off bright and would have cost between $80-$200+. For anybody whose idea of what a flashlight is (and what they currently own) is the 2D incandescent Energizer you buy from the supermarket, this thing will surely be stupid-giggly bright for them.

sfv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfv
Hankshanker wrote:Perfect for sneaking up on those fat mother sea turtles during nesting season. No, seriously.

That's why we are in for 3, we get about 30-50 loggerhead nests a year on our island preserve.

DaZoneRanger

Ok, there. I've done it. I've just talked myself into buying one. Geez... *facepalms self

niemoell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages niemoell

I owned one of these several years ago and sold it. The light lacked both a front lens and a parabolic reflector - the light it produced was completely unfocused and would not shine more than ten feet in front of me. That said, the size, weight, and battery life were good, and the red LED was very useful for trail-walking.

thetrain2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thetrain2

Absolutley love this flashlight! I bought one 2 Years ago at HD for $40.00. It has lasted great as I haven't even replaced the batteries yet. For $10.00 this is a steal.

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

I'm in for 3, and would by more if Woot allowed me to. Why this silly 3 item limit restriction when the item isn't sold out? Doesn't Woot want more sales?

I already own one of these lights, I paid $32 for mine, and it is great for geocaching at night.

The only drawbacks are that the two buttons feel identical (A light cross-hatch pattern etched on one switch can't be detected by anyone having a normal sense of touch), and the fact that these switches can turn the flashlight on by accident if you put it in your pocket or purse. Even using the storage sleeve, you have to be careful not to depress one of the buttons. And please put it on a lanyard, it comes with a slot cut out for one.

spelunkingplato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spelunkingplato
amznhopper wrote:This light has 2 buttons. 1 black for light and 1 red button for red light

Wait, I'm with Radodge (pre-edit)--it looks like the same thing as on Jingle Binge (same model number, same description and stats, word-for-word...so, yes, also two separate buttons), only you're paying a penny less and not receiving any of the accessories (based on "In the Box" list comparison for both). Am I missing something here, Wooters? Assuming I *want* the accessories, is there any reason I should get this Woot! instead of the Jingle Binge?

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

So many thanks for spelling dual correctly. And if you make up a story about a certain type of D&D character, thank you for not spelling it rouge.

PFFlyers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PFFlyers

Still "awaiting shipping" on Friday. Have any of yours shipped? I'm hoping it has actually shipped but Woot hasn't updated the status. Need these for Christmas.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
PFFlyers wrote:Still "awaiting shipping" on Friday. Have any of yours shipped? I'm hoping it has actually shipped but Woot hasn't updated the status. Need these for Christmas.

Although this doesn't have the arrives in time for Christmas tag on it from what I can tell, what I can tell you is that we do like to allow five full business days for processing/shipping. This is day five, so if you don't see anything at the end of the day or by Monday, let us know at support@woot.com and we can figure out what's wrong.

I'm just hanging out, really.

gradiver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gradiver
inkycatz wrote:Although this doesn't have the arrives in time for Christmas tag on it from what I can tell, what I can tell you is that we do like to allow five full business days for processing/shipping. This is day five, so if you don't see anything at the end of the day or by Monday, let us know at support@woot.com and we can figure out what's wrong.

Mine says awaiting shipping but got them today. I want to buy 3 more at this price.

donavan01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donavan01

Bought two of these beasts and just got them from UPS today, super fast shipping. Great flashlight very high quality came with two sets of batteries ... how awesome is that. May be the best flashlight I ever bought.

PFFlyers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PFFlyers
PFFlyers wrote:Still "awaiting shipping" on Friday. Have any of yours shipped? I'm hoping it has actually shipped but Woot hasn't updated the status. Need these for Christmas.

Status switched to "shipped" Saturday morning and arrived by USPS Saturday afternoon. Perfect!

NothingSound

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NothingSound

Got mine on Saturday. Damn is this thing bright!