BoogieUofA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BoogieUofA

In for a one of a kind, end of the world, woot monkey shirt.... maybe for $10, but Where's the firestorm?... It's the end of the world. Who cares?

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

Well, one thing I learned: PemberDucky has cool handwriting!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

jeffdoh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffdoh
BoogieUofA wrote:I rarely post here, and this may in fact, be only my second or third post on woot in the 5-6 years I've bought from woot.

However, your complaints have irked me enough post once again.

I've been able to score a Big Ol' Cataclysm once, in the past several years. I've bought very few items on woot. Yet, I still remain a loyal customer. And most of the items I buy are monkeys and shirts. Why? Not because they are great deal (most of the time they aren't) or because I'm expecting a suprise to come along with them, but because when I walk around with my woot shirt, or screaming monkey keychain... Others ask me about it, resulting in conversation. Even if I never get another Big Ol' Cataclysm I will continue to check Woot.com on a regular basis.

Next time, read the rules. They said there would not be a Big Ol' Cataclysm and that means you shouldn't go out of your way just to expect one. The hunt was meant for fun, for those who enjoy Woot.com and the iconic items it has to offer. If you feel that the card hunt was a waste of your time, do like most others did, and read this thread to get the letters... instead of wasting Woot.coms time with having to cancel your order.

The problem is that you're not reading my posts. I was not complaining about not getting a bag. I was complaining about a bad faith promotion by woot. No one, including me, knew what to expect from the code. But we all expected something pretty cool for working to get the code, finding a "hidden" link, and being among the first to get to it. Was a $9.99 plain shirt a pleasant surprise? I mean couldn't we at least expect a "pleasant" surprise, a nice deal or something of a special or limited shirt. Everyone is saying that we shouldn't have expected bags and should be happy with whatever woot does because they didn't promise us anything cool. But I think it's just the opposite. I think that BECAUSE they didnt tell us at all what to expect that we SHOULD expect that it would be something neat. A great deal for our efforts and for hanging in t here and getting in ASAP. If you are going to ask for committment from customers, ask for people to become deeply involved and integrated in your processes and promotions, it is NICE to actually act in good faith and reward your most loyal followers. What they did just wasn't nice. It wasn't good faith. And I think some people will agree with me.

Jeffrey Lax

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
k4th3r1n3 wrote:I have a question for staff, I understand that the link will lead to a shirt only. But are we going to have a Big Ol' Cataclysm in the actual woot-off? Someone mentioned a few hours ago on an item thread that the beloved Big Ol' Cataclysm doesn't happen in woot-offs anymore, is that really true? It's been a while since I've paid a lot of attention to a woot-off so I just wanted to know if something has changed.

Nothing is true, everything is permissible!

The long and short of it is, we're experimenting with Random Crap to find the way to make the most people happy. It's always going to disappoint some, but we want to make sure as many people as possible get a fair shot at it. This means we're trying new things or modifying old ones often.

We run up against a lot of barriers: fulfillment (think about those poor suckers in the warehouse that have to pack and ship those things!), technical challenges (you guys basically DDoS our servers), business needs (like not crashing our servers), and our fickle bi-polar nature.

We definitely want to have them as featured sales, but we also want to have fun with them. Will they happen again in a woot-off? Probably! When? That's not something we can answer for you... yet.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

PemberDucky wrote:paulmd, i sure hope you didn't go to bed yet.

I bow to you.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

benswimming

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benswimming
Gatzby wrote:Nothing is true, everything is permissible!

The long and short of it is, we're experimenting with Random Crap to find the way to make the most people happy. It's always going to disappoint some, but we want to make sure as many people as possible get a fair shot at it. This means we're trying new things or modifying old ones often.

We run up against a lot of barriers: fulfillment (think about those poor suckers in the warehouse that have to pack and ship those things!), technical challenges (you guys basically DDoS our servers), business needs (like not crashing our servers), and our fickle bi-polar nature.

We definitely want to have them as featured sales, but we also want to have fun with them. Will they happen again in a woot-off? Probably! When? That's not something we can answer for you... yet.

Gatzby is the new assassin in Assassin's Creed 4?!?

BoogieUofA

jeffdoh wrote:The problem is that you're not reading my posts. I was not complaining about not getting a bag. I was complaining about a bad faith promotion by woot. No one, including me, knew what to expect from the code. But we all expected something pretty cool for working to get the code, finding a "hidden" link, and being among the first to get to it. Was a $9.99 plain shirt a pleasant surprise? I mean couldn't we at least expect a "pleasant" surprise, a nice deal or something of a special or limited shirt. Everyone is saying that we shouldn't have expected bags and should be happy with whatever woot does because they didn't promise us anything cool. But I think it's just the opposite. I think that BECAUSE they didnt tell us at all what to expect that we SHOULD expect that it would be something neat. A great deal for our efforts and for hanging in t here and getting in ASAP. If you are going to ask for committment from customers, ask for people to become deeply involved and integrated in your processes and promotions, it is NICE to actually act in good faith and reward your most loyal followers. What they did just wasn't nice. It wasn't good faith. And I think some people will agree with me.

The problem, is that you're not reading my posts.

Stop complaining, and wear your one of a kind, woot shirt with pride... as a true woot.com enthusiast would. Or don't buy one next time.

And I think MOST people will agree with me.

parrotice

quality posts: 6 Private Messages parrotice
jeffdoh wrote:The problem is that you're not reading my posts. I was not complaining about not getting a bag. I was complaining about a bad faith promotion by woot. No one, including me, knew what to expect from the code. But we all expected something pretty cool for working to get the code, finding a "hidden" link, and being among the first to get to it. Was a $9.99 plain shirt a pleasant surprise? I mean couldn't we at least expect a "pleasant" surprise, a nice deal or something of a special or limited shirt. Everyone is saying that we shouldn't have expected bags and should be happy with whatever woot does because they didn't promise us anything cool. But I think it's just the opposite. I think that BECAUSE they didnt tell us at all what to expect that we SHOULD expect that it would be something neat. A great deal for our efforts and for hanging in t here and getting in ASAP. If you are going to ask for committment from customers, ask for people to become deeply involved and integrated in your processes and promotions, it is NICE to actually act in good faith and reward your most loyal followers. What they did just wasn't nice. It wasn't good faith. And I think some people will agree with me.

This is just getting rediculous... they told you exactly what to expect in the description of wootageddon.... No bag, that it would be a shirt, and that you'd have to buy it. Just because you built some grandios idea that it would be the best most sparkly shirt for only 99 cents and it wasnt, doesnt mean that woot is evil. It just means you didnt like the shirt... and for some reason, ordered it anyway (which as was said before requires TWO stupidly-large buttons).

And, also previously stated, this shirt is 17% off regular price if you buy it today, and 33% off if you buy it in the following 5 days.

Where's the crap?

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313
lstaff wrote:should i buy it just because i put all my effort into finding out the clues (with a little help from a friend on two of them)?????

or skip it because it's not that spectacular???

Well, since I helped, I'll tell you that I'm not gonna buy it, because it's not that spectacular. If it were a better design I'd definitely buy it for the price, but not this one.

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

I was guessing it had to do with the servers crashing, there's a lot more wooters than there used to be. I understand that, I don't understand trying to please people who don't get what they want because they didn't click fast enough. Whiners ruin everything.

friedbanana

quality posts: 3 Private Messages friedbanana

I bought one. Please draw a body on the monkey before sending to me. I don't care if its a boy or girl. Thanks!

mossygreen

quality posts: 73 Private Messages mossygreen

Hail Eris?

alanhwoot

quality posts: 40 Private Messages alanhwoot

1. Find all twelve trading cards between now and Wednesday.
  2. Assemble the clues into a word that will fill in the blank at the end of this URL:
    shirt.woot.com/offers/__________ .
  3. Buy the special t-shirt you find there! (Yes, buy. It took some work to collect those Star Wars proofs of purchase, too, but you still had to pay for Boba Fett.)
  4. No, there is absolutely not a Bag o' Crap involved anywhere in this thing in any way. For real. This warning is not us being cute. If you could see our faces, you'd know how serious we were. Please don't get into this expecting you'll wind up with a Bag o' Crap. You won't. Mark our words.

So, if I'm reading correctly, the complaint is that the promotion is exactly what they said it would be -- an opportunity to buy a t-shirt.

I'll admit it's not all that great of a promotion (not going to buy one myself), but I don't get why anyone would be misled.

mossygreen

I'm going to argue with you, but nicely, and please understand that I understand that we will never agree:

I get what you're saying, but I personally think this was neat. Funny cards I saved in a folder, and a souvenir t-shirt at a discounted price. This is, in fact, EXACTLY what I've been saying woot should do in various discussion threads of complaint over the past year or so. So i get that it's not enough for you, and I respect that, but I had a pretty good time. And as this is exactly what I've been saying woot should do, you can blame me if you'd like.

Dissonance

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Dissonance

I think you need to just start putting random things in with people's regular orders once in awhile. Occasionally make it something good. You'll drive up sales - at least with people that would have been on the edge of whether or not they should buy an item. "Oooo...I kind of want those Ed Hardy beer coozies...AND I might get some crap if I do. IN FOR 3!!"

drummingcraig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages drummingcraig
alanhwoot wrote:
I'll admit it's not all that great of a promotion (not going to buy one myself), but I don't get why anyone would be misled.

You're underestimating the power of entitlement combined with the siren's song of the crap.

So are we gonna kick it - Gonna kick it woot down - Gonna break it all down - Gonna kick it woot down!

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3
Dissonance wrote:I think you need to just start putting random things in with people's regular orders once in awhile. Occasionally make it something good. You'll drive up sales - at least with people that would have been on the edge of whether or not they should buy an item. "Oooo...I kind of want those Ed Hardy beer coozies...AND I might get some crap if I do. IN FOR 3!!"

That would be cool, only it would be more entertaining if it was weird garbage sometimes too, like a true crap.

jeffdoh

BoogieUofA wrote:The problem, is that you're not reading my posts.

Stop complaining, and wear your one of a kind, woot shirt with pride... as a true woot.com enthusiast would. Or don't buy one next time.

And I think MOST people will agree with me.

What are you taking this so personally for? And even if you're right and "most" people agree with you, is it a good business move to piss off 20 or 30 or 49 percent of your MOST loyal customers? The people who follow wootoffsm the ones who follow 3-day scavenger hunts are the customers woot should want around. Pissing off some is not good practice even if you are right that "most" would agree with you. Which I am not sure about to begin with. Glad you are so certain of such things. Takes away some of your opinion's credibility, to be honest. What are you so upset for anyway. A lot of people complained, what are you picking on me for? I didn't do anything to you? So what if I complained. If woot didn't tick you off, be happy. What do you care if I'm annoyed?

Jeffrey Lax

Gatzby

mossygreen wrote:Hail Eris?

All Hail Discordia!

Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.

Gatzby

Dissonance wrote:I think you need to just start putting random things in with people's regular orders once in awhile. Occasionally make it something good. You'll drive up sales - at least with people that would have been on the edge of whether or not they should buy an item. "Oooo...I kind of want those Ed Hardy beer coozies...AND I might get some crap if I do. IN FOR 3!!"

That could be fun!

Honestly, we're still amazed when people get excited about the bags of Texas air.

jeffdoh

mossygreen wrote:I'm going to argue with you, but nicely, and please understand that I understand that we will never agree:

I get what you're saying, but I personally think this was neat. Funny cards I saved in a folder, and a souvenir t-shirt at a discounted price. This is, in fact, EXACTLY what I've been saying woot should do in various discussion threads of complaint over the past year or so. So i get that it's not enough for you, and I respect that, but I had a pretty good time. And as this is exactly what I've been saying woot should do, you can blame me if you'd like.

Ha! Well, at least you said your piece nicely and respectfully. :-)

Jeffrey Lax

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 42 Private Messages dernst_ca1

I would happily accept the position of Chief Crap Packer... Seriously.

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 42 Private Messages dernst_ca1
dernst_ca1 wrote:I would happily accept the position of Chief Crap Packer... Seriously.

And I'd be dammed good at it.

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

drummingcraig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages drummingcraig
dernst_ca1 wrote:I would happily accept the position of Chief Crap Packer... Seriously.

Umm...you may want to rethink that title.

So are we gonna kick it - Gonna kick it woot down - Gonna break it all down - Gonna kick it woot down!

BoogieUofA

jeffdoh wrote:What are you taking this so personally for? And even if you're right and "most" people agree with you, is it a good business move to piss off 20 or 30 or 49 percent of your MOST loyal customers? The people who follow wootoffsm the ones who follow 3-day scavenger hunts are the customers woot should want around. Pissing off some is not good practice even if you are right that "most" would agree with you. Which I am not sure about to begin with. Glad you are so certain of such things. Takes away some of your opinion's credibility, to be honest. What are you so upset for anyway. A lot of people complained, what are you picking on me for? I didn't do anything to you? So what if I complained. If woot didn't tick you off, be happy. What do you care if I'm annoyed?

I care because, for every person who buys one, and then requests a refund (which may take a day or two or three) after realising there is no Bandit Overrun City...because they didn't read the rules, significantly increases the chances of me not being able to get one (since they are limited suppy). That's why I take it personally.

If you're not in it for the one of a kind woot shirt, simply don't buy it.

stspilker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stspilker

Or give the possibility for someone to throw in a couple extra dollars to their order on the off chance they get some good crap. Say you buy the Ed Hardy beer coozies and these items have an extra selection for $3 random crap. I think it's be fun if every once in awhile, the option appeared if you purchased another woot.

friedbanana

quality posts: 3 Private Messages friedbanana
dernst_ca1 wrote:And I'd be dammed good at it.

Sounds painful for the recipient

mossygreen

Gatzby wrote:All Hail Discordia!

Damn it, now I have to go find a digital copy of the Principia Discordia. Well, it had to be done eventually.

jeffdoh

BoogieUofA wrote:I care because, for every person who buys one, and then requests a refund (which may take a day or two or three) after realising there is no Bandit Overrun City...because they didn't read the rules, significantly increases the chances of me not being able to get one (since they are limited suppy). That's why I take it personally.

If you're not in it for the one of a kind woot shirt, simply don't buy it.

1. Can you read? This is now the 2nd or 3rd time you accused me of complaining about no Bandit Overrun City, even though I did not complain about that and told you I did not complain about that.

2. I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. If I cancel my order that affects your chances of getting one? A shirt of a bag? Neither makes any sense. Are you smokin' something?

Jeffrey Lax

snoopyjy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snoopyjy
ThunderThighs wrote:I bow to you.

I really hope that guy comes back on to check and either way this guy is my new hero.

Hi-C said the blind man as he took a sip from the cup.

snoopyjy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snoopyjy
PemberDucky wrote:paulmd, i sure hope you didn't go to bed yet.

Can you write me a note to my wife and mail it to me....? You sir are king of customer service in my book.

Hi-C said the blind man as he took a sip from the cup.

nocake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nocake

woot a disappointment.

gibvel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gibvel

Screw the trying to please more people. This political correctness crap is really starting to bug me.

"Oh, we can't have winners and losers cause the losers feel bad" We're gutting our society for the lowest common denominator and the country is going to heck in a hand basket!!

Bunch of Cheer.. you snooze you loose, better luck next time. I've gotten 1 Bunch of Cheer (not for lack of trying) and that was because I stayed up Christmas eve and was lucky enough to try for long enough.

As far as servers... GET BETTER SERVERS!!!! :-)

Screw the games, back to the ol' Bunch of Cheer!

Yeah, Baaaaby!!! :-D

Mishvmd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mishvmd

Thank you to all the people who did the searching. It was a game. Fun in its anticipation and guessing. So the design wasn't sunshine and lollipops. Buy it or not, we're not a Communist society - yet. And so it's a shirt? To paraphrase a lyric, there ain't no Coup de Ville hiding at the bottom of a crackerjack box

mandren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mandren
mossygreen wrote:Damn it, now I have to go find a digital copy of the Principia Discordia. Well, it had to be done eventually.

I highly suggest the paper copy, but you can also read it here:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/1.php

So i tried to warn people earlier about woots new stance on no more Bunch of Cheer for woot-offs, i think people are less frustrated about this promo not leading to a Bunch of Cheer as they are having NO chance anywhere on the site of getting one anymore. There are a lot of loyal wooters that don't prefer to track facebook or The Twitter every waking minute of every day for a chance to get one. Its been what, half a year since a typical Bunch of Cheer offering from a woot-off, and months since anything direct on the site? Its just discouraging to people who would prefer to track woot.com than other sites.

Woot is dead, all hail Amazon.

mattaltieri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattaltieri
tsukitensh wrote:This type of comment really confuses me. No one is making you do this; if you don't want to, don't! They didn't have to do any promotion at all, so why complain?

The last time I pointed this out to someone, I was under the impression that this wasn't a "share with the group" type of thing... but it is, so you know what? You don't even have to do anything! You can leave it to other people, then swoop in and use their work! So, seriously! What do you have to complain about?!

Or just learn how to use the google, and $$PROFIT:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&as_st=y&pws=0&tbs=isz:lt,islt:qsvga,ift:png,cdr:1,cd_min:12/9/2012,cd_max:12/12/2012&tbm=isch&q=site:woot.com&oq=site:woot.com&gs_l=img.12...0.0.1.22161.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.pFgonSutSPs&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355272958,d.dmQ&bpcl=39942515&biw=1647&bih=1115#hl=en&tbo=d&as_st=y&pws=0&tbs=isz:lt%2Cislt%3Aqsvga%2Cift%3Apng%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A12%2F9%2F2012%2Ccd_max%3A12%2F12%2F2012&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=site:woot.com&oq=site:woot.com&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.24990.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.Zt4ug43Z9KI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355272958,d.dmQ&fp=73d632d5be55889a&bpcl=39942515&biw=1647&bih=1115

Well whadddddya know?

rickystyx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickystyx
drummingcraig wrote:You're underestimating the power of entitlement combined with the siren's song of the crap.

Hit the nail right on the head. Unfortunately the feeling of entitlement this country is seeing will only get bigger.

unclejoeyv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages unclejoeyv

A penny saved is a penny earned!

mossygreen wrote:Thank you, I was like, why are people saying this is regular price?! You're saving $2.01! (Actually I momentarily forgot about the price increase and was thinking we saved a penny. Still! A penny!)

And I am terribly amused by the guy who missed his date and subsequent woot staffer excuse note!

rjanecek2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rjanecek2
jeffdoh wrote:LOL. I don't mind being made fun of or being mocked for hoping for something more than free shipping after a 3-day scavenger hunt with a hidden coded link. What I mind is when a merchant asks for you to invest time and energy in good faith... that something cool is coming. It doesn't have to be a bag. Or a free shirt. But free shipping? I do think that's a bit much after 3 days of clues and paying attention to every item in a woot off. That should be worth more than free shipping. That's just not good faith in my book.

Good Faith? Seriously? They said on 12 items there was a picture, put those pictures together and you can buy a special t-shirt. They never said you'll get something in addition to a special t-shirt, they never said it would be offered at a discount so that they could make no money. They offered you the opportunity to buy a t-shirt. Seems like good faith to me. They warned you plenty up front that you'd be investing time and energy for the opportunity to BUY a T-SHIRT and nothing more, nothing less. The fact that the shirt is 10 bucks instead of 12 was a pleasant surprise to me alone!
Kudos to you woot, despite my no-black-t-shirt policy, thanks for giving us a shirt that isn't on the woot plus page.

emasters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emasters

I can't believe the outrage that we got exactly what they offered. My only complaint is that the shirt sucks, but do you know how I express that displeasure? By not buying it.

That's how grown-ups make decisions.