WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

\m/ Peavey Guitars & Amps \m/

Raise the horns of rawk, boogie children, because you're about to step into the world of- well, look, a guitar isn't really an impulse buy. You already know if you're in the market or not. All we can do is point you towards the crossroads. You've got to choose your path. It's not rawk if someone MAKES you do it, right?

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Have you ever been in a band? Would one of these hold up in one of those tool around in the garage never going to play outside bands?

I'm just hanging out, really.

bongosolo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bongosolo
inkycatz wrote:Have you ever been in a band? Would one of these hold up in one of those tool around in the garage never going to play outside bands?

Likely no. The problem with sub-$200 guitars in general is getting them to play in tune. At all.

mross22

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mross22

It's always guitars with you, Woot...Guitars, Guitars, Guitars...Sooooooooooo typical.

Bass players need love too.

sniff.

takethemeatbridge

quality posts: 10 Private Messages takethemeatbridge
mross22 wrote:It's always guitars with you, Woot...Guitars, Guitars, Guitars...Sooooooooooo typical.

sniff.

That is what the ugly groupies are for.

I'm a Bass Player and I approve this message.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mross22 wrote:It's always guitars with you, Woot...Guitars, Guitars, Guitars...Sooooooooooo typical.

sniff.

See! We need to know these things, so our buyers buy the right stuff! Thanks for the feedback.

I'm just hanging out, really.

stanke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanke

The item Peavey 3005210 Retro Fire Electric Guitar with GT-5 Amp Bundle - Black has photo's with a stand, a tuner and what look to be the Peavy instructional DVD set. The "in the box" doesn't show that. If that's not in the box,is there any difference between the two guitars - except for $20.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 19 Private Messages DennisG2010

I've ragged on the cheap off-brand guitars Woot has sold in the past, but Peavey makes a solid, reliable cheap guitar.

I used to work in a small independent music shop, and we had a cheapo Peavey in our rental stable.

Countless rentals to new students, mostly young kids, and the thing just kept on rockin'.

mross22

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mross22
inkycatz wrote:See! We need to know these things, so our buyers buy the right stuff! Thanks for the feedback.

oh yeah....represent.

dwijster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwijster

My 4&1/2 year old girl wants a Purple Guitar as that is her fav color. Would this be too big for her to learn on?

emcaines

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emcaines

Are these full-size guitars? I'd need a 3/4 scale...

emcaines

dwijster wrote:My 4&1/2 year old girl wants a Purple Guitar as that is her fav color. Would this be too big for her to learn on?

My fairly tall 5-1/2 year old plays on a 3/4 scale Laguna. If these are 3/4 scale (or better, 1/2 scale) these will be perfect for her!

dwijster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwijster
emcaines wrote:My fairly tall 5-1/2 year old plays on a 3/4 scale Laguna. If these are 3/4 scale (or better, 1/2 scale) these will be perfect for her!

How do we find out what scale they are?

emcaines

dwijster wrote:How do we find out what scale they are?

That's why I asked. Usually, it would show up in the description. Been checking out the orange Peavey Retro Fire online; looks like it's a full size.

If your daughter really wants to play guitar, though, I recommend having her test out a few in person. From what I've discovered, buying a guitar is a lot like shopping for shoes. She needs to test it out to see if it's comfortable, or you'll be stuck with an instrument no one wants to play.

emcaines

emcaines wrote:My fairly tall 5-1/2 year old plays on a 3/4 scale Laguna. If these are 3/4 scale (or better, 1/2 scale) these will be perfect for her!

Just saw the Lavender Peavey says it's a 25.5" scale. Most kids' guitars are around 22.5" or so; this is a full-size guitar.

It's really pretty, though.

jonhull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonhull

I'm in for one for my son. I have to admit that the Lavendar sparkle is kinda ugly. My first job might be to strip the body and stain or repaint it. I'm assuming its wood and not plastic?

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

Looking for a good deal on a beginner guitar/amp combo? Well, this Ain't it!

These are very poorly made and are really only suitable as "wall art" for a den, bar, etc. Peavy is a well known brand but these are Peavey in name only! When these were here on WOOT a couple weeks ago I searched for this exact level of Peaveys in Three of the most well known and large on line music stores. Each are authorized Peavey Dealers and each sells the Peaveys from a very low (starter) level to the top of the line made by that company. None of the Three Carried this line. In fact when I tried looking for the Amp alone, as all three carry some pretty crappy low end stuff, not one of them carried it either. Further, and this should explain quite a bit, the only stores I could find these things at were basically, "toy stores" and not "music stores". For example, Walmart and Toys R Us. All you are going to gain by giving a new student (young or old) one of these is in the end, frustration for that new student. You do not have to spend major bucks for a good starter guitar and amp. But you have to spend a little more than this. Yet, you will be getting very much more for just a little more.

I state my opinion about these guitars based on over 40 years expieriance on the instrument.

There is no way I would recommend any one of these packages! In fact, just the opposite. I would discourage it!

charliecarroll

DennisG2010 wrote:I've ragged on the cheap off-brand guitars Woot has sold in the past, but Peavey makes a solid, reliable cheap guitar.

I used to work in a small independent music shop, and we had a cheapo Peavey in our rental stable.

Countless rentals to new students, mostly young kids, and the thing just kept on rockin'.

But you will not find this line of Peavey in a music store. Only in "toy stores" like Walmart and Toys R Us. I know, I checked three of the Web's largest on line stores that happen to be Peavey authorized dealers at the same time. Not only can you not find these combos but you can not even find the Amp. In legitimate Music stores the smallest Peavey Amp that can be found is 7 amp. I do agree with you (I also worked in a music store) that Peavey does make some very good and affordable 'starter' guitars and amps. But these are not up to what you sold and are not the same level at all. In fact the lowest level Peavey that sales in these music stores today are not up to what their "starter line" was a few years back. For dependable and stay in tune with good intonation throught out the neck,guitars, you need to start at one step up from the bottom with Peavey and not including these toy store versions in that equation.

kren2000

quality posts: 11 Private Messages kren2000

I wanna bass a well. :-)

PemberDucky

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

kren2000 wrote:I wanna bass a well. :-)

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007

"Ask any pro musician and they'll all do the same thing. First they'll laugh, then they'll tell you how cheap it was, then they'll tell you how they used to sleep with it, then they'll tell you about the day they moved on."

No, they will (and do every time these deals pop up) tell you not to waste your money. And that the ones who are still playing and didn't get discouraged by crappy hardware when they first picked up guitar actually started out with decent $300-$500 guitars. And we will continue to do so every time you offer this junk. Because we want musicians to succeed. That is important.

Woot, why don't you look into offering deals on some higher quality instruments? That would be amazing.

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

jf12volt

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jf12volt

Staff

The black has a stand, tuner, and instructional DVD. Specs have been updated to reflect this. Sorry for the confusion

stanke wrote:The item Peavey 3005210 Retro Fire Electric Guitar with GT-5 Amp Bundle - Black has photo's with a stand, a tuner and what look to be the Peavy instructional DVD set. The "in the box" doesn't show that. If that's not in the box,is there any difference between the two guitars - except for $20.

charliecarroll

Symbolic2007 wrote:"Ask any pro musician and they'll all do the same thing. First they'll laugh, then they'll tell you how cheap it was, then they'll tell you how they used to sleep with it, then they'll tell you about the day they moved on."

No, they will (and do every time these deals pop up) tell you not to waste your money. And that the ones who are still playing and didn't get discouraged by crappy hardware when they first picked up guitar actually started out with decent $300-$500 guitars. And we will continue to do so every time you offer this junk. Because we want musicians to succeed. That is important.

Woot, why don't you look into offering deals on some higher quality instruments? That would be amazing.

But they still don't have to pay as much as you are talking about. Because so many people buy what you are talking about and then moves up there is a lot of good stuff 'USED' to be had. I can easily see getting a great little starter for $100 - $150 that was $300+ brand new. Used 10W amp could be had for around $100. So, in the used market one could have a nice little start up guitar and amp to learn on and not drop but $250 $300 max in a combo. If the new buyer is not a musician it is not hard to find one. Look around your office, school, etc. there will be some there and they can help you find a good deal on something decent. In the end you are right on the new stuff but I did not want to leave out the used market. A lot of savings there. I started out on a used guitar.

ghansm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ghansm

First and foremost, I have no experience with this particular model.

My first guitar, 14 years ago this Christmas, was a $150 amp/guitar/tuner Peavey combo package. The tag read, "From Eric Clapton" (as I was too old to believe in Santa, but fully well old enough to believe in Clapton), I come from a fun house.

The only problem I had with the cheap Peavey was this year when I put very, very thick strings on it and broke the nut at the low E. That's not bad for 'very poorly made'.

I may not be touring arenas and stadiums, but what my cheap guitar did do was give me the window to see if I wanted to get into the art without blowing 500 dollars only to walk away later. My second guitar was a cheap ($200 dollar Acoustic).

My tastes matured as I moved through and now own other, more expensive, guitars. But that cheap-ass Peavey let me meet many wonderful people, romance a few beautiful women, make a few dollars (unrelated to the previous... I hope), and learn a lot about myself. Not bad for a guitar.

If you have reservations about it, go buy a used guitar from a non-chain store. There are many local, great stores you can get a great used product for a very conservative price (below 300 to learn on). But for a 14 or 16 year old kid who is thinking about pursuing the rock star career? I say, "Why not? Worked for me.*"

All that said, I am always tempted to buy one of these when they pop up. Nostalgia and all. The only thing that keeps from doing it is I'm told I have too many toys as it is, and bills are more important than an old memory of fumbling through Final Fantasy VII theme songs in my bedroom.

*I now work in an unrelated field.

charliecarroll

ghansm wrote:First and foremost, I have no experience with this particular model.

My first guitar, 14 years ago this Christmas, was a $150 amp/guitar/tuner Peavey combo package. The tag read, "From Eric Clapton" (as I was too old to believe in Santa, but fully well old enough to believe in Clapton), I come from a fun house.

The only problem I had with the cheap Peavey was this year when I put very, very thick strings on it and broke the nut at the low E. That's not bad for 'very poorly made'.

I may not be touring arenas and stadiums, but what my cheap guitar did do was give me the window to see if I wanted to get into the art without blowing 500 dollars only to walk away later. My second guitar was a cheap ($200 dollar Acoustic).

My tastes matured as I moved through and now own other, more expensive, guitars. But that cheap-ass Peavey let me meet many wonderful people, romance a few beautiful women, make a few dollars (unrelated to the previous... I hope), and learn a lot about myself. Not bad for a guitar.

If you have reservations about it, go buy a used guitar from a non-chain store. There are many local, great stores you can get a great used product for a very conservative price (below 300 to learn on). But for a 14 or 16 year old kid who is thinking about pursuing the rock star career? I say, "Why not? Worked for me.*"

All that said, I am always tempted to buy one of these when they pop up. Nostalgia and all. The only thing that keeps from doing it is I'm told I have too many toys as it is, and bills are more important than an old memory of fumbling through Final Fantasy VII theme songs in my bedroom.

*I now work in an unrelated field.

A bit of important information. This is a relatively NEW layer in the Peavey name. The lowest line of guitar Peavey made back when you got yours (14 years ago) was far superior to these and so I am not at all surprised to hear how well you did. If you check any of the big on line dealers you will find all market the Peavey line including a starter line that is much like what you owned. But, you will not find these models at any of them. You will not find even the amp at any of them. You will only find these models at places like Walmart and Toys R Us. You make some excellent points for beginners but again, your Peavy of 14 years ago and any of these three are no where close to, "apples to apples".

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

This topic was beaten to death last time these were on here.
These are toy grade Chinese guitars that simply have a reputable name slapped on them to make them sell to people who normally wouldn't buy them.

These will frustrate anyone who is actually serious or at least hopeful about learning to play it.

Peavey's old entry level was the Predator- and it was made in the USA and highly sought after now as it was as good as most Fender offerings and hasn't been made in the USA in years. I have one hanging on my studio wall between my Les Paul and my Stratocaster.

If you want a guitar to hang on the wall of your bar- here you go. Anything other than that- don't bother.

mblumenf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mblumenf
skrutinizr wrote:...If you want a guitar to hang on the wall of your bar- here you go. Anything other than that- don't bother.

You guys really seem to hate these things. This is a case where you really might want to think about getting one to see how you like it and then, if it turns out that it's as terrible as you think, grab a video camera, some lighter fluid, a hammer, and whatever other implement you can think of to make a YouTube video of yourself going all rock star on it.

On the other hand, you might find that it's actually an OK guitar for noodling around with an open tuning and playing some slide. Lots of room for slop when you're doing that sort of thing.

Or take the guts out of it to make something else into an electric and then use the body for a clock...

charliecarroll

mblumenf wrote:You guys really seem to hate these things. This is a case where you really might want to think about getting one to see how you like it and then, if it turns out that it's as terrible as you think, grab a video camera, some lighter fluid, a hammer, and whatever other implement you can think of to make a YouTube video of yourself going all rock star on it.

On the other hand, you might find that it's actually an OK guitar for noodling around with an open tuning and playing some slide. Lots of room for slop when you're doing that sort of thing.

Or take the guts out of it to make something else into an electric and then use the body for a clock...

You have got to be kidding right? If I want a clock that is what I would buy. I would not buy a piece of crap guitar and then make it into a clock.

I do not 'hate' these things. They are inanimate objects with no feelings, thoughts, or souls. Certainly not something to hate.

What I hate is to see a young person that wants to learn to play be handed one of these from a well thinking and loving parent and then it either be unplayable or have technical problems or both. This frustrates the heck out of the young student and he/she may turn away from the instrument without realizing it was not them but the instrument that was the problem. And then there is Mom and Dad out the cask they paid and feeling bad the kid could not learn or their present simply does not work as it should from the beginning.

I do not have to go get one of these to know what it is. This level crap has been on the market for years and years. It is only recently that Peavey has allowed their name to be attached to it.

As I said before, you can not find a major music store that has the Peavey Line of instruments and amps selling these. Yet they are selling a very low line Peavey Guitar as well as amp. Both, better than this stuff. No, I am not going to take my time to go to a 'toy store' to buy a musical instrument regardless of brand name. I have seen many instruments in toy stores and the like in the forty some odd years I have been playing and I have yet to see even one that was worth the Pennies it was going for.

I have seen student and parent very disappointed when they found the had purchased junk. The ones that went back and purchased something that was adequate for a beginner both they and the student felt much better but, it sure would have been nice if they had not thrown away that first little bit of money.

So there is the reason several have taken the time to write what we know about these guitars. It is only an effort to help. Hate, no, I do not hate these or any other object. I do hate to see a hard working parent trying there best, throw their money down a toilet.

scottnorwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottnorwood

A brief look around ebay will prove to you that the cheap guitars of today become the sought after guitars of tomorrow. I had a Teisco Del Ray and that junk is still worth money. They have one in the Hard Rock in Biloxi MS. These things already look way more cool that that did. Besides, these are certainly good enough to help you decide if you really wanna be a rock and roll star!

jhmz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhmz
charliecarroll wrote:What I hate is to see a young person that wants to learn to play be handed one of these from a well thinking and loving parent and then it either be unplayable or have technical problems or both.

you've obviously never been poor. sure, it's nice to spend $500 on a guitar when you're pooping out money, but this $50 set is going to the daughter of a good friend who wants to learn guitar. they live off of less than $700 a month. so, go be an elitist all you want, but there's a market for this and there are children out there who will think this is GREAT. got one for myself, too. i don't play, but it'll be fun for me and my young son to just mess around with.

fiockthis

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fiockthis
jhmz wrote:you've obviously never been poor. sure, it's nice to spend $500 on a guitar when you're pooping out money, but this $50 set is going to the daughter of a good friend who wants to learn guitar. they live off of less than $700 a month. so, go be an elitist all you want, but there's a market for this and there are children out there who will think this is GREAT. got one for myself, too. i don't play, but it'll be fun for me and my young son to just mess around with.

Where do you pull the number $500 from?

Charlie even said, and I quote "I can easily see getting a great little starter for $100 - $150."

Your friend's daughter is going to be very frustrated with this junk.

You've obviously never been poor if you can buy a $50 toy for you and your son to mess around with.

fiftymegatims

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fiftymegatims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y9KEtiQ8CM

What I have come to understand about musical instruments is that starting on good ones can help learning easier. However the will to learn will always be stronger than the value of the instrument. So a low value investment in something that may get the student started may be better than something costing more only to not maintain the students interest.

charliecarroll

jhmz wrote:you've obviously never been poor. sure, it's nice to spend $500 on a guitar when you're pooping out money, but this $50 set is going to the daughter of a good friend who wants to learn guitar. they live off of less than $700 a month. so, go be an elitist all you want, but there's a market for this and there are children out there who will think this is GREAT. got one for myself, too. i don't play, but it'll be fun for me and my young son to just mess around with.

You obviously do not know how to read because you are attributing numbers to me that I never wrote down. BTW, I came from a very poor family but that is really none of your business at all and has nothing to do with the subject here. What I have said is for just a little more money you can have a lot more instrument. But that does also require a little more effort and thought on the buyers part in researching and then finding the instrument. I certainly hope your guitar will be all you need it to be.

scottnorwood wrote:A brief look around ebay will prove to you that the cheap guitars of today become the sought after guitars of tomorrow. I had a Teisco Del Ray and that junk is still worth money. They have one in the Hard Rock in Biloxi MS. These things already look way more cool that that did. Besides, these are certainly good enough to help you decide if you really wanna be a rock and roll star!

Teisco was a great starter guitar and hands above this crap here. My best friend years ago got one the same year I got my first guitar, a used silvertone and amp made for Sears. They also were way above these things. The fact is, there are very affordable lower priced starter guitars made by many companies including Peavey. But these three are not in that catagory and they will not be the ones making history tomorrow. There were quite a few 'Kent' guitars made along the same time as the Teiscos. You don't find them in pawn shops and ebay because they were junk and just did not last to still be around and playable. The Teiscos were just a little bit more (not much) than the Kents but they were 10 times the instrument. BTW, my Silvertone guitar was $49 and some change on sale and it was in the 60's. Back then Teisco were less than $100 with most in the $60 to $80 range. About the same as these are going for today. That should give a clearer picture of the difference considering $50 back then would be like $150 (or more) today.

bensnpwon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bensnpwon

Bass!!!!!!!!!!!

Peaty

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Peaty
dwijster wrote:My 4&1/2 year old girl wants a Purple Guitar as that is her fav color. Would this be too big for her to learn on?

I think it would be too big, I say get here a baby strat. New they are only about 99, I bet if you looked around you could find one used. Maybe not purple but that's what stickers are for. My daughter when she was 8 started on a baritone ukelele at the suggestion of a local teacher. It was easier to learn (4 strings) and hold. She's 13 now and still plays but of course a full sized guitar now.

Peaty

150+ Woots and no signs of stopping...

Peaty

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Peaty

Peavey was at one time a pretty solid guitar, my son has a T-26 (from 1984 I believe) and it's US made. These are obviously (as mentioned) some sort of store brand with the Peavey name stuck on them. I'd suggest taking a trip to Guitar City and trying them out and see what feels good. Really the only way to pick out a guitar.

Peaty

150+ Woots and no signs of stopping...

houndawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages houndawg

I bought my son a Squier Affinity Strat Pack for Christmas. It was $225 plus setup. That's as cheap as I was willing to go based on research on the interwebs. The crap they are selling here is nothing but a toy.

kranders

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kranders

Good grief people. ALL electric guitars are "toys". If you want to be an elitist, try learning a real instrument... like the violin. None of those namby-pamby frets to do the playing for you.

emcaines

Peaty wrote:My daughter when she was 8 started on a baritone ukelele at the suggestion of a local teacher. It was easier to learn (4 strings) and hold. She's 13 now and still plays but of course a full sized guitar now.

I smiled when I read this. My now 5-1/2-year-old started messing around on my husband's baritone ukelele when he was 2; he'd been begging for a guitar since he could walk. Now he's been playing since 2 days after his 5th birthday in April, and he LOVES it. I started him on a 3/4 scale Laguna electric and he's asking for "a two stick" (an acoustic) for Christmas. (Didn't go with a Peavey Marvel RockMasters; got him a good, solid Martin.)

KimNicole

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KimNicole
Peaty wrote: My daughter when she was 8 started on a baritone ukelele at the suggestion of a local teacher. It was easier to learn (4 strings) and hold. She's 13 now and still plays but of course a full sized guitar now.

I love the uke for learning. By far the easiest time I've had with an instrument.