WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Turtle Beach: Hear Them Coming

Turtle Beach. The most dangerous killing ground in all the internet. Beset on all sides by thirty-something retirees with no friends, precocious teenagers with unresolved anger issues, and most dangerous of all, quiet, good natured people who like videogames. It's a madhouse, but your odds of survival go up if you can hear the bastards.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Review your Turtle Beach headset models here!

I'm just hanging out, really.

mingsty

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mingsty

I have the x41's and love em. I don't have the surround sound set up on my tv so I'll just watch movies with them on. Sound is incredible and I've logged hundreds of hours on these bad boys.

I am nerdier than 98% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to take the Nerd Test, get geeky images and jokes, and write on the nerd forum!

vrthomas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vrthomas

X41's are worth every penny.

The great thing about them is they aren't just for Xbox 360 - use them with any device with an optical audio out

Eltinwe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eltinwe

I got two Z1 sets for my husband and me last time they were on woot. They're great. I really like the microphone boom's capability for being adjusted. A couple comments:

* These eliminate most outside noise very effectively.
* They are generally very comfortable and adjustable.
* The boom mic is the nicest I've ever had and so completely adjustable to sit wherever you want it.
* They fold up tiny!
* The wire is abnormally durable, which is great for me since that's usually how I ruin my earphones.
* They're a wee tight on my big head but my husband has no problem.
* The volume control is loose and can be turned accidentally fairly easily.
* The mute switch is stiff so I have never accidentally muted myself as I have on other headsets. (WHY aren't they listening to me?)

scionyde

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scionyde

I got the X12's for my PC the time before the last time Woot had these. (Apparently Woot has an entire warehouse full of Turtle Beach headsets?) Been working great, although I'm still not a huge fan of having to use a USB port, and I've had to use a rubber band to bundle together part of the incredibly long cord.

All in all though, great headset, no regrets on buying it.

Schwaumlaut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schwaumlaut

If you haven't noticed me harping on the crappy quality of Turtle Beach's construction, well, here we are again! Tritton and Astro make sturdier headsets with better sound.

That said, I just ordered a set of refurbed X11s for a buddy of mine who doesn't have a haedset. I played at his apartment for our last clan op; it was split screen, with no headset.

I felt like a savage. Like an animal. No one should play Call of Duty like that.

wootusernameusername

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootusernameusername

Picked up an XP500 last time they were up. They happily pair with my iPhone over Bluetooth for pretty darn nice voice quality on both ends. I have not, however, figured out how to get them to sound uncrappy when playing sound from my (Windows) PC. I'm using the optical output from my PC, but it sounds tinny as can be. When paired via Bluetooth to my PIP-Boy, they also don't sound all that great. Any tips from the wootosphere?

tweezak

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tweezak

I have the PX5 and they are great...with caveats.

They aren't 7.1. They have a toslink audio input and that format can only do 5.1. You can't get the effect of true 5.1 out of two ear-placed speakers anyway so this is kind of a scam. That said, they sound amazing so I'm actually not complaining. People just need to know that this is a bit of marketing hype.

I wish they blocked more outside noise. They are very "open" in that sense and when my wife is shouting into her cellphone (always) it still interferes.

The only digital input is optical and while that's great...it limits your choices as to what you can use to switch sources (I have PS3 & Xbox). My receiver doesn't have an optical out and the optical out on my TV drops audio as soon as I go into PS3 games. I'm probably going to end up buying an Octava ARC converter to split out the toslink audio from my HDMI that comes out of my receiver. Unfortunately that's another $160. There are cheaper solutions but they have sketchy reviews.

ZeroSyztem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZeroSyztem

I picked up the X31's last time around and I have to say that I was fairly disappointed with them.

They drop signal like crazy so I get a hiss and popping very frequently when using them on my Xbox or PC

Also the working with PC portion is not as it may seem. You have to buy a mini to mini- TRS (3.5mm headphone) cable to hook up the audio out and the mic you have to get 3.5 to 2.5 connector and hardwire to your PC the headset itself not the base. Making it not so wireless.

Disappointing over all.

waclark57

quality posts: 1 Private Messages waclark57

I have a pair of X41s I use with my Xbox. When working properly they sound great. The issue is that they are very susceptible to wireless interference which causes popping noises in the headset. The problem is that the headsets use the same 2.4Ghz frequency as most wireless routers and many other wireless devices (like phones).

If you have lots of wireless devices in your home these may not be the best option. Looks for headsets which use different frequencies or have better shielding against interference.

waclark57

quality posts: 1 Private Messages waclark57
ZeroSyztem wrote:I picked up the X31's last time around and I have to say that I was fairly disappointed with them.

They drop signal like crazy so I get a hiss and popping very frequently when using them on my Xbox or PC

Also the working with PC portion is not as it may seem. You have to buy a mini to mini- TRS (3.5mm headphone) cable to hook up the audio out and the mic you have to get 3.5 to 2.5 connector and hardwire to your PC the headset itself not the base. Making it not so wireless.

Disappointing over all.

As you pointed out these headsets are not really designed to work with PCs although they can be made to work. There is no 'wireless' mic so you need the cable to plug into your PC from the headset.

For PCs there are lots of better choices. Check out the Logitech products.

Schwaumlaut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schwaumlaut
tweezak wrote:I'm probably going to end up buying an Octava ARC converter to split out the toslink audio from my HDMI that comes out of my receiver. Unfortunately that's another $160. There are cheaper solutions but they have sketchy reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000234I6C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I use one of those to switch between my computer and xBox for my AX pros, and it works great. I highly recommend it.

djbowman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djbowman

DO we know if these are manufacturer refurb or was it done by someone else ?

miketizzy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages miketizzy
djbowman wrote:DO we know if these are manufacturer refurb or was it done by someone else ?

Done by a third party. Found that out when I contacted TB support to address a pair of Delta's I recently purchased from Woot which had a damaged optical out. They wanted nothing to do with it. Woot is taking them back though and I may give it another go.

zrockstar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zrockstar

Turtle Beach is crap. How do you think they ended up with enough refurbs to do this mega woot sale. My last set of TBs lasted 3 months. Replaced them with some Tritons I have been using every day for the last 3 years with no problems.

alaskanblacklab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alaskanblacklab

They don't ship to Alaska. A lot of items on this site don't ship to Alaska. I guess they haven't heard of the United States Postal Service or that Alaska is a major hub for Brown® and FedEx.

Of course if I really wanted these items,More than 65% of them are available locally (yay 24 hour walmart among others) or I could get them with free shipping through the company that ships the boxes with the smile on it.

ericbenge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericbenge

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on buying a gaming headset. I want to use them on my xbox, playing primarily Halo 4...do these support "surround sound" so I can hear which direction I'm being shot from?

jimbojoe1021

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimbojoe1021

So these do work with Xbox 360 and can be plugged into it?

lucnhbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucnhbox

I bought a pair of X31's last time there were up here and was very disappointed. The wire for the headset didnt work when i got it, and customer support stopped emailing me back after 2 emails had to spend 15 bucks to get a new one from turtle beach. Be ready to wait to get them too.

cerberez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cerberez

I would be careful with these. . . or at least prepared to buy a new cable or something. I got a pair of the 7.1 wireless headsets for xbox, and it wasn't long till the chat started cutting in and out (the problem appeared to be with the cable that connects your mic with the controller). After a while with turtle beach tech support, they asked where I bought them. "woot refurb," I admitted. They said they get a number of complaints on those.

I was too cheap to buy the ~$15 talkback cable from turtle beach, so i replaced it with a generic 2.5mm cable, which works and costs less than a buck, but it doesn't include a volume control. Beware!

Also, I'm completely unimpressed by the "7.1 surround sound." It is a totally unconvincing effect. I would have been better off just buying a quality 2.1 set. And when the came is quiet, I can hear a buzzing, so the wireless isn't that great either. All in all, not a good review.

buysumtime

quality posts: 3 Private Messages buysumtime

I too am skeptical about buying turtle beach products due to their lack of durability. I have a set that I bought that stopped working properly after a half dozen uses. They were not the cheap model either! Buying third party refurbs make the purchase even more worrisome.

As for the surround effect in the models that have it, I have not had luck using it. I have only tried one headset that seemed to provide correct placement of sounds, and it was from razer. Expensive headset, but functional for surround. Ended up returning it, though, as the volume was not loud enough for me. Turtle beach, on the other hand has always been plenty loud regardless of the model i have tried.

Another note on the surround sound. The effect seems to work better for some, similar to how 3d seems more effective for some people than others. Even though it is a result of processing and not actual speaker placement like in a traditional surround sound setup, the science does work for many. Remember, you only have two ears. The placement of sounds is done by the way sounds reflect off of your ear canal before hitting your eardrum. "Real" sounds that are all around you are perceived by your brain to be behind you, in front of you, next to you, etc. due to how those sounds reflect off of your ears canals. The Dolby headphone technology is designed to simulate that effect on a processing level so your brain perceives the sound in a similar way. Since everyones ears are different the effect becomes more apparent to some than others.

hockeypuck55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hockeypuck55

I bought the XP 500's a month or two ago from Woot. Could not be happier with the performance and sound.

The only suggestion I have is to buy rechargeable batteries. The headset likes to eat them up.

kwolfe99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwolfe99

Do these headphones with USB/XBOX/PC compatibility work, at least partially (audio), if plugged into a gaming chair with a simple audio jack? Is that even possible?

My boys are new to the online gaming (as am I). I want to get them some affordable, entry-level headphones for Christmas that can be used for online gaming through the Xbox, but also be compatible with a gaming chair via simple audio jack. Many of these wired headphones say they are PC compatible. Are they chair compatible also, or do they require the USB connection for power to the audio?

I am considering the Turtle Beach TBS-2155-01 Ear Force X11 Amplified Stereo Headset for Xbox 360 & PC

maldito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maldito
kwolfe99 wrote:Do these headphones with USB/XBOX/PC compatibility work, at least partially (audio), if plugged into a gaming chair with a simple audio jack? Is that even possible?

My boys are new to the online gaming (as am I). I want to get them some affordable, entry-level headphones for Christmas that can be used for online gaming through the Xbox, but also be compatible with a gaming chair via simple audio jack. Many of these wired headphones say they are PC compatible. Are they chair compatible also, or do they require the USB connection for power to the audio?

I am considering the Turtle Beach TBS-2155-01 Ear Force X11 Amplified Stereo Headset for Xbox 360 & PC

These will work as simple headphones right out of the box. However, be prepared to buy an adapter to get the mic working. IMO, these are misrepresented since they don't work for the PC right out of the box. plagues upon Woot!

ruckstande

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruckstande

I have the X11. Boy these are bad ass. I wish I could buy a second set just in case. They are fantastic.

buysumtime

quality posts: 3 Private Messages buysumtime
kwolfe99 wrote:Do these headphones with USB/XBOX/PC compatibility work, at least partially (audio), if plugged into a gaming chair with a simple audio jack? Is that even possible?

The x11's will need plugged into a usb port to power the built in amplifier. They "can" work off of a basic headphone jack, but you will want to have a usb port to plug them into as the amplifier needs one to power it, and they won't sound the way you want them to without utilizing the usb power. They do give you a long cord to run to your xbox (I think it's 16 feet) so you can plug the headset directly into a USB port on your xbox.