WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The Snack Bar

Great food? Sure, everybody likes that. But "terrible" food? "Terrible" food is ALMOST ALWAYS DELICIOUS. We're not saying "Don't eat broccoli" because you should, but having a treat now and then won't kill you. That's what these machines are for.
Smart Planet official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

As someone who once made pretzels by hand, the pretzel maker looks intriguing. Who's up for digging up reviews of things that make food that is ultimately bad for us?

(So bad it's good?)

I'm just hanging out, really.

vmforrest

quality posts: 9 Private Messages vmforrest

pretzel maker has horrible reviews on Amazon...just in case anyone was tempted (like I was)

draigun

quality posts: 23 Private Messages draigun
vmforrest wrote:pretzel maker has horrible reviews on Amazon...just in case anyone was tempted (like I was)

Yep:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Planet-SPM-2-SuperPretzel-Pretzel/dp/B007M4XJBE

Although, this IS the SPM-2WOOT model.

My question:
How difficult is it to clean the chocolate fountain? That doesn't seem like an easy task.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
vmforrest wrote:pretzel maker has horrible reviews on Amazon...just in case anyone was tempted (like I was)

Were you also lured by the built in cheese pod?

I'm just hanging out, really.

NLamprecht

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NLamprecht

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Planet-CDM-1-Corn-Maker/dp/B002MVOIP8/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1355325368&sr=1-1

4/5 stars on amazon

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
inkycatz wrote:As someone who once made pretzels by hand, the pretzel maker looks intriguing. Who's up for digging up reviews of things that make food that is ultimately bad for us?

(So bad it's good?)

Here's the Pretzel Maker manual (complete with recipes!) I make pretzels at home too, but I can't really see how this would make it any easier than a regular ol' oven and cookie sheet (you still have to proof the yeast, shape the pretzels, etc.)

------------------
I Bet on Sky

miken927

By the way, I've been looking for a waffle cone maker for my mom (to use with the grandkids, because that's grandmas are for!) I haven't seen one on woot... yet.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

kmashaney

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kmashaney

the pretzel dog thing is like a corndog but with pretzel breading, correct? so a hotdog in the middle?

this is IMPORTANT. my fiance loves him some corndogs and pretzels...combining these two would make me girl of the century

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

Someone convince me to buy a chocolate fondue fountain. Can I use my own recipe? Or do I have to use some sort of nasty nestle syrup recipe?

Is it easy to clean? Is it wasteful with inaccessible fondue mix?

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

I just keep a coupla bags of these in the fridge.

Maybe they could be the Thursday delicacy on wine.woot sometime?

hehthuryo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages hehthuryo

They have a fondue fountain at the local dinner buffet and it's difficult to steer people away from it once they start dipping things in chocolate. Marshmallow, rice krispy treats, fruit, candy, steak, it all tastes better with chocolate.

In for one.

sacarino

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sacarino
hehthuryo wrote:They have a fondue fountain at the local dinner buffet and it's difficult to steer people away from it once they start dipping things in chocolate. Marshmallow, rice krispy treats, fruit, candy, steak, it all tastes better with chocolate.

Yeah, just think of how delicious dust and snot taste on your chocolate steak... You go ahead and enjoy that chocolate fountain.

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
sacarino wrote:Yeah, just think of how delicious dust and snot taste on your chocolate steak... You go ahead and enjoy that chocolate fountain.

I personally don't plan on operating this in a workshop or hospital. So I think I'm ok, right? Unless you think wooters just live in abnormally dusty homes and are generally snotty individuals.

So that being said, I am pretty sure I will enjoy dipping things in chocolate. Hard to say for certain since I've only seen a chocolate fondue fountain once or twice ever, but I would say it's a worthwhile gamble that I might enjoy submerging sweet foods in a vat of liquid chocolate before consuming them. But thanks anyway for the tip (not).

wolfstone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolfstone
countdown wrote:Someone convince me to buy a chocolate fondue fountain. Can I use my own recipe? Or do I have to use some sort of nasty nestle syrup recipe?

I haven't used this model, but have some experience with a similar unit...

No special mix is required, just chocolate bits thinned with some veggie oil. You might want to melt that in a pot on the stove before pouring into the fountain.

Fountains are available in various sizes. This is a smaller one. To my mind, that means it is easier to store and uses less chocolate. The really big ones are stunning to look at; that's what you want for a wedding reception. But a smaller machine like this is plenty of fun.

Chocolate fountains are especially fun for kids - provide various things to dip: marshmallows, cookies, fruit. It's a great "comfort food" thing on a cold winter night. Think of all the comfort of a big mug of hot chocolate, dripped on your favorite snack.

A search at Amazon for NCF-1 Nesquik gives four hits, with no reviews and prices up to $47. Yow!

These usually consist of the base (with heater and motor); tiered fountain top; and screw. The screw fits inside the hollow fountain top and pumps the chocolate to the top. Cleaning involves taking apart the three pieces and washing them individually. In most cases, the latter two parts are dishwasher-safe.

I'm in for one.

italianemperor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages italianemperor
wolfstone wrote:I haven't used this model, but have some experience with a similar unit...

No special mix is required, just chocolate bits thinned with some veggie oil. You might want to melt that in a pot on the stove before pouring into the fountain.

Fountains are available in various sizes. This is a smaller one. To my mind, that means it is easier to store and uses less chocolate. The really big ones are stunning to look at; that's what you want for a wedding reception. But a smaller machine like this is plenty of fun.

Chocolate fountains are especially fun for kids - provide various things to dip: marshmallows, cookies, fruit. It's a great "comfort food" thing on a cold winter night. Think of all the comfort of a big mug of hot chocolate, dripped on your favorite snack.

A search at Amazon for NCF-1 Nesquik gives four hits, with no reviews and prices up to $47. Yow!

These usually consist of the base (with heater and motor); tiered fountain top; and screw. The screw fits inside the hollow fountain top and pumps the chocolate to the top. Cleaning involves taking apart the three pieces and washing them individually. In most cases, the latter two parts are dishwasher-safe.

I'm in for one.

Thanks for the info! Tempted to pull the trigger on one, but a little gun shy since I cannot find one review anywhere.

wolfstone

italianemperor wrote:Thanks for the info! Tempted to pull the trigger on one, but a little gun shy since I cannot find one review anywhere.

You're welcome.

I couldn't find a review either, but they are simple machines and have little to go wrong.

Note that the pump only works on a viscous liquid - think the consistency of honey. You can probably make your own blends to use in it (perhaps melted peanut butter, mint chips, etc), but it has to be thick enough to pump and not so thick that it clogs up.

Cleaning is not bad and you might even have the kids begging "Can I lick the screw." Which, on second thought, sounds a bit naughty.

italianemperor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages italianemperor
wolfstone wrote:You're welcome.

I couldn't find a review either, but they are simple machines and have little to go wrong.

Note that the pump only works on a viscous liquid - think the consistency of honey. You can probably make your own blends to use in it (perhaps melted peanut butter, mint chips, etc), but it has to be thick enough to pump and not so thick that it clogs up.

Cleaning is not bad and you might even have the kids begging "Can I lick the screw." Which, on second thought, sounds a bit naughty.

They have reeces peanut butter chips that might work well. Also butterscotch, heath, and a bunch of other flavors.

Gionot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gionot

Here's the Super Pretzel Pretzel Dog Maker product manual.

miken927

countdown wrote:Someone convince me to buy a chocolate fondue fountain. Can I use my own recipe? Or do I have to use some sort of nasty nestle syrup recipe?

The manual has a straight-forward basic recipe, as well as some fancier recipes. It's not dishwasher safe, but since the chocolate is softened with the vegitable oil, it shouldn't be too hard to clean.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

wolfstone

miken927 wrote:The manual has a straight-forward basic recipe, as well as some fancier recipes. It's not dishwasher safe, but since the chocolate is softened with the vegitable oil, it shouldn't be too hard to clean.

Thanks for finding the manual!

Cleaning instructions are a bit vague. If this is like a different model that I used in the past, the top part comes off and the pump screw comes out of it. The hole down the center of the top can be cleaned with a bottle brush. The top and screw can be cleaned with plenty of hot soapy water.

The bottom contains the motor and heater and can not be immersed.

The manual states that it uses 40W. That means that the heater is just enough to keep the previously-melted chocolate warm.

StarBob

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StarBob

I bought it. I don't know how often I'll use it or how much I'll enjoy having it... but dammit I bought it. Now to find things to dip in that chocolate.

blaineg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages blaineg
miken927 wrote:The manual has a straight-forward basic recipe, as well as some fancier recipes. It's not dishwasher safe, but since the chocolate is softened with the vegitable oil, it shouldn't be too hard to clean.

The manual url seems broken.

animerika

quality posts: 5 Private Messages animerika

Head's up, these were on sale for $12.99 at CVS on black friday, I was tempted for the fountain as well but it is pretty tiny. I'd say it's only a little taller than a standard DVD case so I hope you're not expecting anything you'd see at maybe a birthday party, it's really not that big. It's definitely nice for a small family to enjoy, especially with kids. I can't attest to how well it works though because I decided against it, my cousin had a big one before and they were not the easiest things to clean.

My first quality post was about the Pokedex. Awesome.

Gionot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gionot
blaineg wrote:The manual url seems broken.

Here's a working link for the Chocolate Fondue Fountain manual. I had the same problem with the url for the pretzel dog manual earlier, so reverse-engineered it using one of the working links.

In case anyone needs them, here are the other manuals:
Cupcake and Brownie Bites Maker
Mini Pretzel Maker
Keebler Pie Maker
Pretzel Dog Maker

MBurkee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MBurkee
kmashaney wrote:the pretzel dog thing is like a corndog but with pretzel breading, correct? so a hotdog in the middle?

this is IMPORTANT. my fiance loves him some corndogs and pretzels...combining these two would make me girl of the century

Yes. I've seen the pretzel dog machines around for years.

croettger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages croettger

These look interesting but if I was going to fill up my tiny kitchen with specialty products, I would perfer one with an adjustable tempature and a bunch of different snap in plates or something.

badandy212

quality posts: 1 Private Messages badandy212

I looked at the manual for the preztel dog maker and you had me at "Bacon Wrapped
Soft Pretzel Dogs On-A-Stick"
I'm in for 2 - one for a gift and one for me :O

mrunnertville

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrunnertville

CVS has most of these for $19.99, at least around my area. None take up a huge footprint.

Kao1138

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Kao1138

Products like these makes AB weep because they are all such horrible uni-taskers. Unless you are going to use these all the time there's no way that these can possibly be worth the space that they take up, especially since there are cheaper and easier ways to make superior versions of all these products.

The one exception being the chocolate fountain.

lilyt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilyt

Mini chocolate fountain available this Best Buy link for 17.98 plus free shipping. And they are not out of stock! In for one... over there!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nostalgia+Electrics+-+Mini+Chocolate+Fountain/6900506.p?id=1218811918264&skuId=6900506&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=6900506&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!40181308719!g!!15447670119