Junior2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Junior2
zener wrote:I just bought KitchenAid pots and pans at Target for more and didnt get the baking pans so this looks like a bargain. Im happy with the set I just wish I had gotten the cookie sheets and cake pans.

"If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."--Used to appear in ads for a New Orleans bakery--in the olden days...

jesuitson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jesuitson

Sigh... more non-stick stuff. Teflon kills parrots (which I have) and so it can't be good for people either. Please post something without Teflon and that works with an induction stove and you have a buyer.

wunch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wunch
warrenhome wrote:Aluminum cookware is dangerous and can be toxic. I don't know if the porcelain coating is a good solution, or not... I'd research greatly concerning this before I purchased.

I've also heard that dihydrogen monoxide was used to make these, and that you might be exposed to that dangerous chemical while using this product!

(In all seriousness, though, I think this is a good deal, actually, and I'm in need of new pots.)

bobbyatkinson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbyatkinson
warrenhome wrote:Aluminum cookware is dangerous and can be toxic. I don't know if the porcelain coating is a good solution, or not... I'd research greatly concerning this before I purchased.

Not to worry. The shauman says if you spin in place 3 times, throw salt on the floor and spit once you will be protected.

On the otherhand if they put the porcelien coating on the outside, all bets are off.

danfiveoh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danfiveoh

In for 1. Thanks Woot! I've been looking for cookware that appears to be sturdy enough not to dent when my wife smacks me upside the head with it for commenting on her cooking.....

shimsham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimsham

Another issue I had - the red color on mine faded quickly in the dishwasher. They were pink in a matter of months.

dernst_ca1 wrote:All of the reviews I am reading about this product indicate that they are NOT dishwasher safe... Not good since I purchased under the pretense that these were dishwasher safe..

Hope woot catches my email before shipping this out..

fsharpster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fsharpster

Is the non stick surface teflon or ceramic? The description mentions teflon, but I'm guessing thats the outside coating. Teflon will soon be banned. Everyone will be dumping teflon pans to beat the ban deadline.

drewbey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewbey

Do these work on an electric stove? If so, I'll buy it!

love2cruise

quality posts: 6 Private Messages love2cruise

This is a great deal. I got the 12" one in black for a Christmas present last year. If I didn't already have a decent set of pots, I'd be in on this. Love that the bakeware comes with it. It's almost worth it for me to replace my old 10" and get new baking pans. Too bad it's right before Christmas - can't afford right now.

BTW, I am rough on pans and I always use the dishwasher. Still looks great after a year. You can't expect nonstick to last forever, though.

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

I wonder how thick/thin these are?
Anyone have any specs as to the thickness of the metal?

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve
wunch wrote:I've also heard that dihydrogen monoxide was used to make these, and that you might be exposed to that dangerous chemical while using this product!

I almost died from dihydrogen monoxide twice. If that stuff gets in your lungs you are a goner!

chaospearl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chaospearl

I've had these in red for years now. They aren't bad, but they're NOT "premium cookware." LOL. They're not premium anything. KitcheinAid is your standard middle of the road cookware line. You'll find this stuff in the kitchens of homes across the world. It's everyday pots and pans.

I'm actually looking to replace mine now because after 5 or 6 years, the pans have all warped and the pots have scorched off their coatings long ago. It worked great for a few years, then started going downhill, and by now they really need replacing. No starter set this time. I'm getting myself two or three really nice pieces for the holidays this year, hoping Santa will bring a couple more, and I'll save my pennies to replace what else I need as I can afford it.

My old KitchenAid set is sadly probably going into the trash, as it isn't in good enough shape to bother storing away for when my sister moves out. It performed well considering the cost, but my inner kitchen snob wants Calphalon.

If you're looking for a standard set of cookware for someone who doesn't care much about what they use so long as it works as designed and produces good food, this is a great deal. It won't last the rest of your life, but you'll get your money's worth.

If you're an aspiring Keller with a kitchen ful of Wusthof knives, have a good laugh at this "premium" brand and then go shopping for something that actually is premium, which you won't be buying in a set because sets are a way to sell pieces nobody would buy otherwise. Your food won't come out any differently than the neighbor with this KitchenAid set, but you'll impress the guests... and you won't have to replace it after 5 years.

If you're buying these for someone else, consider what I said above. Who is it for? If it's a young person moving out who has no cookware at all, go for it. This is a great starter set. If, on the other hand, you're thinking of getting this for that person in your life who loves to cook and watches the Food Network 24 hours a day, stop thinking about it. STOP. That person already has a full set of cookware that is ten times better than this starter stuff, trust me. Save your money and get him or her a small copper omelet pan or something, for which you'll pay more than you'd pay for this entire set, which should tell you something about the relative quality.

gloryhound421

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gloryhound421

In for 1!

magnoliasouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages magnoliasouth

Would love to get these, were it not for the stupid holes in the lids. I don't care if it is a safety feature. If I can't even cook rice in one (I hate rice cookers) then it's completely useless to me.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that they hate you, or anyone else.

stonefry

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stonefry
magnoliasouth wrote:Would love to get these, were it not for the stupid holes in the lids. I don't care if it is a safety feature. If I can't even cook rice in one (I hate rice cookers) then it's completely useless to me.

My rice cooker has a hole in the lid.

chaospearl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chaospearl
magnoliasouth wrote:Would love to get these, were it not for the stupid holes in the lids. I don't care if it is a safety feature. If I can't even cook rice in one (I hate rice cookers) then it's completely useless to me.

Toss the included lids and buy yourself a universal lid. I mean, how often do you need to have two lids on pots at the same time? There aren't that many things I cook that require a covered pot and I can't think of when I needed two covered pots on heat simultaneously. The universal lid is great because that way you don't have to find space to store 4 different sizes of lids that get used once a year on Thanksgiving and that's it. Plus, there are a ton of different universal lid options available so you can find one that doesn't have holes.

EDIT: In case someone didn't know. A universal lid is a pot lid that has several sizes of rings on the underside so that the same lid will fit securely into various sizes of pot\pan. This way you only need one lid for four or five pots.

ushindi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ushindi
SESteve wrote:I almost died from dihydrogen monoxide twice. If that stuff gets in your lungs you are a goner!

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
may cause severe burns.
is fatal if inhaled.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of Styrofoam.
as a fire Grinchant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

blacksmithjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blacksmithjim

The set you are referring to is "Hard Anodized Nonstick". This set is the porceline non-stick. All non-stick are not the same!

bigdroo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bigdroo
ifrakedacylon wrote:Heres a 12 piece set on Amazon with not so stellar reviews... apparently the no stick does not stick to the pan and is found in your food.... mmmmm tasty

Yeah, that's a little scary. Aluminum has a scary tendency to wind up in your brain causing all sorts of problems.

Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I generally like steering clear of non-stick type cookware.

integrar0064

quality posts: 1 Private Messages integrar0064

Awesome write up. That is the kind of write up that gets me to keep coming back to this site.

DuggleBogey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages DuggleBogey

One of the great things about this set that they don't tell you is that if you hang them from a kitchen rack (as I do) the lids fit down over the handles, so you can hang the lids and the pans together on one hook.

I love this about the KitchenAid pans and I've had them for over six years now.

DuggleBogey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages DuggleBogey

I have these, there are no holes in the lids, and I cook rice in them perfectly well.

Not sure why you think there are holes in the lids.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
Sarzanini wrote:Thinking of getting a set for my 18 year old daughter as a gentle reminder that she will need pots and pans of her own when she moves out. **hint**

Pretty subtle.

lordsul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lordsul
ThunderThighs wrote:

Happy Woot Anniversary, we joined same day

Woots: 75

rtherese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtherese

Got one. It's junk. No-stick wears off before warranty runs out. No warranty on replacement.
Kitchen Aid used to be a quality
company, but no more.
Their high end range also is a mess. My old one lasted 18 years until lightning hit. Replacement parts not available. Got a new Kitchen Aid range that had problems almost immediately.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
bigdroo wrote:Yeah, that's a little scary. Aluminum has a scary tendency to wind up in your brain causing all sorts of problems.

Not true, as I previously posted.
http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/valentino.asp

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
fsharpster wrote:Teflon will soon be banned. Everyone will be dumping teflon pans to beat the ban deadline.

2015, not exactly "soon".

vickysailer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vickysailer

I think the ability to adjust an order within 5 minutes of completing a purchase would be of incredible use.

I accidentally sent these pots to an address I cannot get to any longer, and in an email to customer "service", was told it was too late to change it.

I literally asked within 5 minutes of ordering. It took them hours to respond.

They did not reply again when I pointed that out to them, and my pots are on their way to an address 2,800 miles away from where I am now.

stonefry

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stonefry

Standard shipping and mine already arrived? What is going on woot? You're spoiling me. I didn't expect these until Valentines day. I ordered red just for the occasion.

smcgurr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smcgurr
stonefry wrote:Standard shipping and mine already arrived? What is going on woot? You're spoiling me. I didn't expect these until Valentines day. I ordered red just for the occasion.

Got mine, but ordered the red and received the black.

aalpern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aalpern
smcgurr wrote:Got mine, but ordered the red and received the black.

Same here - ordered on Friday, received on Monday, but they sent the wrong color.

njlowell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njlowell

Same here! Looks like a major problem with the red. I ordered red and just received the black ones.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

njlowell wrote:Same here! Looks like a major problem with the red. I ordered red and just received the black ones.

aalpern wrote:Same here - ordered on Friday, received on Monday, but they sent the wrong color.

Sorry to hear that you both received the wrong color sets of your order.

I've forwarded both of your posts onto Woot Member Services to see if they can help resolve the issue.
Please also email into support@woot.com and let them know the situation.

Sincerely,
Forum Moderator

justanotherwooter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justanotherwooter

Us too. We got our order FAST but we ordered the red and got the black. My wife was a bit disappointed but OK with it. Let's see if we can do just a little better next time, Woot.

automatic7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages automatic7
justanotherwooter wrote:Us too. We got our order FAST but we ordered the red and got the black. My wife was a bit disappointed but OK with it. Let's see if we can do just a little better next time, Woot.

I also ordered red and got black. I sent a message last night and hope to get it resolved since my wife was expecing red.

gizmodocrazy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gizmodocrazy

unreal. I ordered black and got red! way to go woot.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Just so you all are aware, the issue is being investigated and as soon as there's a resolution in place, the affected customers will be getting some sort of notification as to what that is. We're terribly sorry and appreciate your patience as things get sorted out!

I'm just hanging out, really.

gsauntieba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsauntieba

Add us to the list too. Ordered Red and got Black!! Should we email? Or will you let us know here.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

gsauntieba wrote:Add us to the list too. Ordered Red and got Black!! Should we email? Or will you let us know here.

No email should be necessary. You should be receiving an email from Woot Member Services if you were affected by this issue.

Sincerely,
Forum Moderator

spaghettired

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spaghettired
ROGETRAY wrote:No email should be necessary. You should be receiving an email from Woot Member Services if you were affected by this issue.

Does "you" mean "y'all" or "all y'all"?

Because I, too, got black (and those don't go with the kitchen...) and I ordered red. Does Member Services have a list of the people who got the wrong ones, or are they building a list off of this forum?

Either way, This Guy needs to be added to the list.

I sure hope you can get this corrected before Crimmus. The little lady needs some new dishes so she can order me to cook up some pancakes and boiled eggs for her Crimmus Brunch.