WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The Walls Have Elite Pioneers

The ways of our Enemy of many and insidious. Not only are his spies hidden everywhere, but so are his high-quality Pioneer speakers. In fact, there's a tweeter on that wall behind you. Don't look, fool! Play it cool, or he'll suspect that we plot his demise. 
Pioneer official site

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Do you have hidden speakers? How smooth are these to install?

I'm just hanging out, really.

rob2006

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rob2006

the pioneer website (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Architectural+Speakers/Elite/S-IW671-LR) sez 5 year warranty, so is the warranty info typo, or are we getting 1/5 of manuf? Thanks!

Misguided

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Misguided
rob2006 wrote:the pioneer website (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Architectural+Speakers/Elite/S-IW671-LR) sez 5 year warranty, so is the warranty info typo, or are we getting 1/5 of manuf? Thanks!

I bought some of the IC-691 speakers a while back when they were here. Make sure and take a look at the size of these. I didn't realize just how large they were. The grills for these (and presumably the 671s are similar are about 10 inches across, not counting the bezel).

Also, if they are going near an exterior wall, consider the roof pitch, as they are fairily deep.

We've really been enjoying the speakers.

sirfrosty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sirfrosty
Misguided wrote:I bought some of the IC-691 speakers a while back when they were here. Make sure and take a look at the size of these. I didn't realize just how large they were. The grills for these (and presumably the 671s are similar are about 10 inches across, not counting the bezel).

Also, if they are going near an exterior wall, consider the roof pitch, as they are fairily deep.

We've really been enjoying the speakers.

sirfrosty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sirfrosty
sirfrosty wrote:

They are BIG and They are DEEP because...They are VERY high quality. I put these in my house a couple months back and I love them. The quality is second to none!

rockfordfiles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockfordfiles

Why can't I buy five of these at once? I want five, they apparently have combinations of 2 or 3 and 2 and 3 but not five. Do they really need the extra $5 in shipping by making me by 2 then 3? Or is the joke on me and they'll combine shipping? Gonna grab these anyway. Damn you woot-scrooge-shipping!

Misguided

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Misguided

Not sure what you mean. All of these are single speakers except the ones that say "pair". You can't buy more than three of a particular speaker (or three pair for the pairs) on a single account.

rockfordfiles wrote:Why can't I buy five of these at once? I want five, they apparently have combinations of 2 or 3 and 2 and 3 but not five. Do they really need the extra $5 in shipping by making me by 2 then 3? Or is the joke on me and they'll combine shipping? Gonna grab these anyway. Damn you woot-scrooge-shipping!

Evolution2001

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Evolution2001

Pioneer has had some nice stuff over the years, and primarily in their Elite line of products. However, most people would be just as happy with some HiFiWorks or Dayton Audio, available at PartsExpress.com, for half the price of the Pioneers.
Granted, in the end, unless one can have a listening room staged with the various brands/models, you'll never really know what sounds best. Every speaker, every room, and every ear is different. What you hear is not what I will hear. You just need to make a decision and go with it.

I used a combo of HiFiWorks in-walls & Klipsch in my basement home theater (with my Optoma HD20 projector *ding!*) and I used the Dayton Audio in my master bathroom. All of it sounds great (subjectively) and the decent sensitivity ratings allow me to use a clean, low-powered amplifier to drive them and still get loud when needed.

justafreak

quality posts: 11 Private Messages justafreak

I own some of these speakers...and there are worth ever penny.....an I paid a whole lot more than this....

Here is a picture....

And in case you wondered....I ran the two belo as a bridged center channel...

.rev - 325.unique.woots / 567.total.items - woot is where the crap is.

justafreak

quality posts: 11 Private Messages justafreak
inkycatz wrote:Do you have hidden speakers? How smooth are these to install?

Extremely easy....a drywall knife, a screw driver and a level is all you need...they come with a stencil...

If you want I can show you a pic of the hole in the wall....but basically they have tabs that you screw to lock.....

Edit: Some of my other install photos...

These were taken rut after I moved into my new house....I ran a bunch of Cat6 cable as well to a 24port gigE switch...had holes everywhere for a while...

.rev - 325.unique.woots / 567.total.items - woot is where the crap is.

youngr1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages youngr1

Dam you woot!!! Basement is not even started and now I "had" to buy this setup just because it is a "Deal" lol.. OH well. I am in for 2 orders of S-IW671-LR (so 4 speakers) and 1 S-IW571L for the center.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

The 3-speaker units with the left and right angled out are perfect for your two rear wall surround speakers. The problem is that they're wider than standard stud spacing, so you need to make sure you're not putting them in a load-bearing wall or involve a carpenter in their installation. Either way, it's more complicated than normal in-wall speaker installation due to the need for stud surgery and probably some drywall work too for access to the nail points.

You don't want to install them vertically, or the sound disperses in the wrong direction.

I use surface-mounted left and right-firing speakers (4-elements total) for my surrounds - the extra speakers really help with surround imaging.