jason8612

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jason8612

Any chance this can run some games like Guild Wars 2?

kennyminot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kennyminot
taurine wrote:Would a SSD make this computer faster and good for well rounded use, or is the processor and graphics really that limited?

Could I do some basic Photoshopping? Will it play 1080p 4 gigabyte video files over the HDMI out, or will HDMI out be the same resolution as the screen?

You'll notice some limited improvement with the SSD, mostly related to the boot times. Programs will start faster, and the computer will almost instantly boot up to the operating system. I'd say a RAM upgrade would be the better bet for increased performance.

You might be able to use Photoshop and play some HDMI video. But that's not the point of a netbook. If you want to do anything slightly graphics intensive, you're better off going with a full-fledged laptop. A netbook is a tiny computer designed for light business applications on the go. If that's not what you plan on using it for, you're probably better off with a different product.

jrrhodes0913

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrrhodes0913

I will have to say I am NOT a fan of Lenovo, I worked on its earlier version the X100E. our company bought 1300 of these. Lenovo at times would take up to 3 weeks or more to provide parts. serious issues with the motherboard and hard drives in them always failing. I can not state strongly enough DO NOT BUY THIS POS.

jrrhodes0913

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrrhodes0913
jason8612 wrote:Any chance this can run some games like Guild Wars 2?

no

jasacco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasacco
Dist0rt3d wrote:If I had to guess, the only reason you get 4GB on the Intel version is because it uses Intel graphics, so some of that RAM is getting chewed up in the graphics processing. Whereas the AMD has discrete graphics, so less RAM is needed for video, since the ~1GB of video memory shown is all in the discrete chip, not shared from on board RAM.

Not exactly, both graphics systems are integrated and both share from the physical memory of the system, but AMD uses their ATI branded parts on the board (hence why it *looks* like it has discrete graphics), while Intel uses their in-house chips.

That being said, I would say that if they had the same amount of RAM, the AMD would be the one to get. Dropping down the RAM on the AMD model seems to level the field and make it a toss-up which is better.

I'd still go with the AMD, and drop in more RAM later on if needed.

michoutdoors

quality posts: 6 Private Messages michoutdoors

How would the intel model do with some mild gaming? Thinking of one of these for primarily school work, with the occasional gaming tangent that comes with my ADD. Also, what software is pre-loaded? Thanks!

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090
theguruguys wrote:CPU Benchmarks

Passmark ranks the Celeron 867 at 1271.

Passmark ranks the AMD E-300 at 645.

Personally I have been unimpressed with AMD's budget E series processors and prefer Intels Celeron and budget series processors.

I totally agree, and I am an AMD fan. The e-series are more like atom processors- I am not impressed with either one. It feels like the passmarks are generous for both the e-series amd and the atom. They both feel sluggish. This is, at best is a $200 netbook- it is way overpriced today.

poison1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poison1

How much of an improvement in performance would this be over my 2yo Acer Aspire 1 with Atom n450 and 1gb RAM (LOL!)?

I've actually wanted the Samsung Chromebook for $250, since I don't do crap/use programs/etc besides web and google docs. How would this compare to the chromebook?

jalfredtan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jalfredtan

I have a back order pending in Amazon for a Samsung chromebook. Which would be better if you had to choose?

Wootfan!

enfuego468

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enfuego468
taurine wrote:Would a SSD make this computer faster and good for well rounded use, or is the processor and graphics really that limited?

Could I do some basic Photoshopping? Will it play 1080p 4 gigabyte video files over the HDMI out, or will HDMI out be the same resolution as the screen?

Changing to an SSD would make the performance and boot times faster overall, but would not provide any additional functionality graphics-wise. You might want to look at something a little beefier for Photoshop and 1080p video files.

filetap

quality posts: 2 Private Messages filetap

I owned the predecessor to this model, the X120e. I upgraded it to a 120gb Curcial Sata 3 ssd and 8gb of ram. After doing that this was much better than just your average netbook. Total cost with upgrades was around $450. Well under the price of most other similar units. It is a thinpad series laptop so the build quality is excellent. Don't let the processor fool you with those two upgrades (ssd and memory) this is a very capable mobile platform. I did use photoshop CS2 and Dreamweaver 8 on it without any difficulty. I also used the built in HDMI to connect to my TV for streaming content as well as playing downloaded 720 and 1080 content.

prttymf8 wrote:From a PCMAG review: "The X130e sports an 11.6-inch widescreen that displays in 1,366-by-768 resolution; that resolution is about as good as you're going to get on a netbook nowadays. If you're looking to achieve that true 1080p HD, you'll have to look into outputting your video content onto an external display that supports full HD via the HDMI port."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399806,00.asp

LEM-

quality posts: 147 Private Messages LEM-
ThunderThighs wrote:RE: 2-day shipping unavailable

Our order system checks immediately with your closest FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) warehouse to see if they can pull & ship the order in time to meet the 2-day shipping promise. That deadline is in just a few hours for the first deadline.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

You might try later in the day - after about 11am to noon Central. That's after the first deadline and they have 24-hour for the next deadline. It bumps delivery out a day but it will still be 2 days.

No promises but it's worth a try.

Thank you for the info! I didn't want to take a chance and risk losing the Intel deal when everyone wakes up. So I ordered an Intel with standard shipping. Is there any chance that it can be upgraded to 2nd day, even if it is in fact the third day as per above?

I already dropped a line to the support team asking for the same, except without mentioning the "third" day situation, because I wasn't aware of it at the time (actually I sent my mail as soon as I placed my order).

Thanks!

dpwellman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dpwellman

Processor and graphics are that limiting. SSD would just give a slight bump to boot time and battery life. That is all.

The E-300 is more favorably compared to Atom (D525, for example), not Celeron. This is nothing more than a glorified netbook. Proceed with that in mind and one will lessen the possibility of disappointment,

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

dpwellman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dpwellman

Here's notebookcheck's take on the E-300

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-Series-E-300-Notebook-Processor.60141.0.html

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

tanmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanmann

Anyone knows what the part number is on this puppy? I want to look at all the raw specs on the TABOOK file to check brightness of screen etc.

Tnx!

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

I guess it is not meant to be for me - no two day shipping on the intel at my address. Oh well, on to something else.

choppercharles

quality posts: 4 Private Messages choppercharles

Take a long, hard look at that keyboard before you buy. I am using a Lenovo right now, and I HATE the keyboard. For some reason Lenovo swapps the Fn and Ctrl key location -- no other laptop manufacturer in the world has that stupid configuration. The home and end keys are way, way out of the way. I'm used to having them right near the arrow keys, or at the very least Fn+pgdn for end. But up at the top, I'm always hitting F12 or Insert or even the Delete key instead. It really slows down my typing, and makes my life very annoying. This is a work laptop, not something I purchased myself... but after using it for several months, I would never, EVER purchase one just because of the keyboard.

Charles.

visualp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages visualp
choppercharles wrote:Take a long, hard look at that keyboard before you buy. I am using a Lenovo right now, and I HATE the keyboard. For some reason Lenovo swapps the Fn and Ctrl key location -- no other laptop manufacturer in the world has that stupid configuration. The home and end keys are way, way out of the way. I'm used to having them right near the arrow keys, or at the very least Fn+pgdn for end. But up at the top, I'm always hitting F12 or Insert or even the Delete key instead. It really slows down my typing, and makes my life very annoying. This is a work laptop, not something I purchased myself... but after using it for several months, I would never, EVER purchase one just because of the keyboard.

Charles.

You've gotta be kidding me. Lenovo makes the best keyboards of any laptop manufacturer, period. It takes like 5 minutes to get used to the Fn/Ctrl configuration after you start using it. If THAT is what you are judging the keyboard on, you are seriously misguided

poison1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poison1

Any comments on the chromebook vs thinkpad?

justafreak

quality posts: 11 Private Messages justafreak

I have the x120e (AMD e-350) with a 128GB SSD and 8GB of Ram in it...and it's pretty zippy. especially with Windows 8 Pro (64bit) on it.

Will it Game? not that much...but it will do on low res in a pinch I guess. I originally bought mine (and still use it for this) for when I travel and I want more power than my iPad will give me but I don't feel like dragging my 17" MacBook Pro around.

If you need a good couch laptop that can travel and does very well on most light duty PC work and even pretty good on some heavier computing with an SSD upgrade this is a great option....or at least my X120e was.

.rev - 325.unique.woots / 567.total.items - woot is where the crap is.

justafreak

poison1 wrote:Any comments on the chromebook vs thinkpad?

Buy this and Dual-boot with Windows and Chrome OS.

justafreak

visualp wrote:You've gotta be kidding me. Lenovo makes the best keyboards of any laptop manufacturer, period. It takes like 5 minutes to get used to the Fn/Ctrl configuration after you start using it. If THAT is what you are judging the keyboard on, you are seriously misguided

Not to mention the chicklet keyboards they use tend to last far longer than most other laptops. (no keys popping off thanks you very much Michael Dell)

alanhoyle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alanhoyle
justafreak wrote:I have the x120e (AMD e-350) with a 128GB SSD and 8GB of Ram in it...and it's pretty zippy. especially with Windows 8 Pro (64bit) on it.

Will it Game? not that much...but it will do on low res in a pinch I guess. I originally bought mine (and still use it for this) for when I travel and I want more power than my iPad will give me but I don't feel like dragging my 17" MacBook Pro around.

If you need a good couch laptop that can travel and does very well on most light duty PC work and even pretty good on some heavier computing with an SSD upgrade this is a great option....or at least my X120e was.

I have about the same configuration (x120e with E-350, extra RAM, 128 SSD; was a refurb from Lenovo whose US office is local to me). It works OK with Win 7 Pro, but even with the SSD it's still a slightly sluggish machine even with light duty stuff. I feel like the one or both of the dual cores in the CPU are pegged most of the time just doing web. Ubuntu/Linux Mint is a bit better, but it's still not a speed demon. Under Win, you can game at low res with older games at least (e.g. Portal, Half Life), but the fan turns on a lot on the previous model.

I used it as my couch/bed machine before I got my tablet, but I use my tablet a whole lot more than I used this. I use mine almost exactly like the previous poster: iPad mostly, this for travel when I need more, MacBook Pro when I need serious stuff.

It's also my only machine that can boot Windows natively right now, and there are rare instances when that comes in handy.

coyhaven

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coyhaven

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2611958&sku=T70-140056

Ok I was looking at this one is it worth the extra 100.00 over this one_I was thinking this one because of bigger scream-but if there is a BIG difference in the inside let me know Oh great Woot Geeks because you know more than I do LOL

justafreak

alanhoyle wrote:I have about the same configuration (x120e with E-350, extra RAM, 128 SSD; was a refurb from Lenovo whose US office is local to me). It works OK with Win 7 Pro, but even with the SSD it's still a slightly sluggish machine even with light duty stuff. I feel like the one or both of the dual cores in the CPU are pegged most of the time just doing web. Ubuntu/Linux Mint is a bit better, but it's still not a speed demon. Under Win, you can game at low res with older games at least (e.g. Portal, Half Life), but the fan turns on a lot on the previous model.

I used it as my couch/bed machine before I got my tablet, but I use my tablet a whole lot more than I used this. I use mine almost exactly like the previous poster: iPad mostly, this for travel when I need more, MacBook Pro when I need serious stuff.

It's also my only machine that can boot Windows natively right now, and there are rare instances when that comes in handy.

Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7. so that may be a factor....also it depends on your SSD too....the m4 Crucial I've got in mine screams. I see no sluggish issues even watching HD Video on-line.

luvduchovny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luvduchovny

I have the earlier generation of this model, the x120e. I loved it (technically I still have it). It has 4GB Ram and I put a 256 SSD drive in it. It's a nice sturdy machine but I don't use it anymore because as much as I prefer smaller screens, 11.6" was just a little too small for a person who wears bifocals. So I've wiped it and will probably sell it to a coworker. My current laptop is a 14.1" (Lenovo) and I love it. I don't have to CTRL + to see text on a screen while surfing the web or doing other things.

I imagine this machine is pretty nice but if you really have trouble looking at small screens it will drive you nuts. (Well unless you hook it to a larger monitor... of course that takes away the "portability" of it though).

I'm too lazy for signatures... oh, okay not completely lazy.

gpointer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gpointer

Well the deal is wonderful and I have always been very pleased with your products and service. But I am offended when you say Xmas. It is Christmas. Thanks for listening

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090
luvduchovny wrote:I have the earlier generation of this model, the x120e. I loved it (technically I still have it). It has 4GB Ram and I put a 256 SSD drive in it. It's a nice sturdy machine but I don't use it anymore because as much as I prefer smaller screens, 11.6" was just a little too small for a person who wears bifocals. So I've wiped it and will probably sell it to a coworker. My current laptop is a 14.1" (Lenovo) and I love it. I don't have to CTRL + to see text on a screen while surfing the web or doing other things.

I imagine this machine is pretty nice but if you really have trouble looking at small screens it will drive you nuts. (Well unless you hook it to a larger monitor... of course that takes away the "portability" of it though).

Kind of like putting $2000 rims on a 1987 Yugo. At least it looks fast.

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull
gpointer wrote:Well the deal is wonderful and I have always been very pleased with your products and service. But I am offended when you say Xmas. It is Christmas. Thanks for listening

It fits nicely on their graphic tag as it is ... They mention Xmas and Christmas on this site... Sure they also have the word Holidays somewhere too (everyone can feel included this winter season). I really fail to understand why people get so upset over use of words.

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull

As mentioned by others --- This is a really good deal (the Intel product is what I would choose) ... It is not a high performance system, nor was it designed to be ... But these things take a beating! Also, I want to second that nobody makes a better keyboard on a laptop than Lenovo (granted, I miss the old 7 row style, but this is still the best chicklet style keyboard ever made)

Also, FN and CTRL keys can be swapped in BIOS if it messes you up that badly.

Qlaras

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Qlaras
tanmann wrote:Anyone knows what the part number is on this puppy? I want to look at all the raw specs on the TABOOK file to check brightness of screen etc.

Tnx!

Type-Models:
AMD 0622-2FU OR 0627-27U
Intel 2338-A14 OR 1338-2GU
http://lenovo.com/psref/ (NOTE: You WILL have to look under 'discontinued products' at the bottom as this model is no longer current, see 'Thinkpad Notebooks' PDF)

If you find more, let us know. (Or perhaps Woot staff can let us know, if they have a box for these handy it'll have the Type-Model on it)

Both pair seem to have different introduction dates, so the second Type-Model may be a revision of some sort; or just a new Type-Model for marketing purposes.

Current model (x131e) provides (OVER THIS ONE) at least on the AMD side:

2xUSB 3.0 + 1 USB 2.0 (vs 3x2.0)
BT 4.0 (vs 3.0)
Supposedly faster memory support; but uses the same processor
720P Webcam (vs 0.3MP)
For $200 more.

I'll save the $200, put that into RAM and an SSD.

megafr0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megafr0
ascii256 wrote:So anyone own this? I'd like a small laptop that doesn't burn my Harry Potters off when it sits on my lap.

How hot does this thing get?

I use one of the AMD based systems for work and we deploy the INTEL based systems now because they have a TPM chip (allows you to bitlock the hard-drive without an external hardware key).

Basically this is a great little computer, the processing power is very reasonable (especially for the price). This far outperforms the Asus Netbooks we've used in the past, the design is very sturdy, the keyboard feels great, the edges on the screen have a rubber molding that protects the outer shell. Definitely a good purchase for $300.

alienflux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alienflux

re my linux question...nvmind ;)

hatawa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hatawa
nkull wrote:It fits nicely on their graphic tag as it is ... They mention Xmas and Christmas on this site... Sure they also have the word Holidays somewhere too (everyone can feel included this winter season). I really fail to understand why people get so upset over use of words.

An X is a cross. The cross is the sign of Chritianity. What's so offensive about that?

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

Well since they are out of the intel one now here, I'm with you on this other one.

coyhaven wrote:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2611958&sku=T70-140056

Ok I was looking at this one is it worth the extra 100.00 over this one_I was thinking this one because of bigger scream-but if there is a BIG difference in the inside let me know Oh great Woot Geeks because you know more than I do LOL

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

wenda86

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wenda86

Ok... Dug out more info. RAM is single channel on the AMD E300 processor vs dual channel on the Celeron model. It's actually Sandy Bridge based 32nm architecture which is very decent.

Also supported (but not officially) 16Gb RAM that is 2x8Gb SODIMM DDR3, now they are relatively cheap.

For the SSD, I am still not sure if it takes the standard 9mm height or do I need the slimmer 7mm?

In for the Intel model.

zenrunner92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenrunner92

ARGH!!! The Intel version is now sold out.

I have been trying to buy this damn thing all morning but Woot keeps rejecting my Disc card even though when I called Disc they said that they had SEVEN approved charges for this item in their system. W T F is wrong with this website???

rndabney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rndabney

I've had a X120 for almost two years. It's junk; not rugged at all and it's a stretch to call these Thinkpads. I've sent it back twice to have the keyboard fixed. Many others have had the same problem. The ribbon cable from it to the planar comes loose. I replaced it some many times the connector broke. The last time it came back from Lenovo it was taped in and came disconnected after a few weeks. I run Linux on it using the AMD proprietary driver. Video is good but the E350 processor is really slow. I gave up on it and went back to my 7 year old X41 with 1.6GHz single-core Pentium M. It runs circles around the X120.

alienflux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alienflux
zenrunner92 wrote:ARGH!!! The Intel version is now sold out.

I have been trying to buy this damn thing all morning but Woot keeps rejecting my Disc card even though when I called Disc they said that they had SEVEN approved charges for this item in their system. W T F is wrong with this website???

this *exact* same thing happened to me trying to purchase the Intel one this morning on my Discover card which is the same one i've always used. totally bummed about this.

wizeguy6

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wizeguy6
choppercharles wrote:Take a long, hard look at that keyboard before you buy. I am using a Lenovo right now, and I HATE the keyboard. For some reason Lenovo swapps the Fn and Ctrl key location -- no other laptop manufacturer in the world has that stupid configuration. The home and end keys are way, way out of the way. I'm used to having them right near the arrow keys, or at the very least Fn+pgdn for end. But up at the top, I'm always hitting F12 or Insert or even the Delete key instead. It really slows down my typing, and makes my life very annoying. This is a work laptop, not something I purchased myself... but after using it for several months, I would never, EVER purchase one just because of the keyboard.

Charles.

I hope you're not in charge of fulfilling my Christmas list. There is no better keyboard on a laptop than Lenovo/IBM. In my widely-shared opinion...