tsunamei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsunamei
chardonay wrote:Well since they are out of the intel one now here, I'm with you on this other one.

Yep, count me in. Actually works better for me...I wanted a larger screen, plus...better processor...optical drive...3% Fatwallet cashback...free shipping/no tax.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

alienflux & zenrunner92, I'm looking into this. If anyone else is having Discover card specific issues, please let us know.

I'm just hanging out, really.

cdheer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cdheer

UGH! Wanted one of the Intel ones, but they be gone.

Gah!

Too lazy to keep updating my sig.

alienflux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alienflux
inkycatz wrote:alienflux & zenrunner92, I'm looking into this. If anyone else is having Discover card specific issues, please let us know.

thanks, much appreciated.

Sucesso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sucesso

I refreshed the page a couple of times until an Intel-based one came up. Snagged it. Now sold out.

Conjecture: Could've been the correction of the seven Discover orders.

Edit: Intels are available again. So, looking to buy an Intel? Keep coming back and F5'ing till you get it.

keysmad

quality posts: 10 Private Messages keysmad

I don't know about this specific item but I can attest that I absolutely love lenovo. In order of laptops, I've had an IBM, a Dell, a HP, and now a lenovo. The Dell was ok for about 2 years and the HP was absolutely the most worthless piece of equipment ever. I loved the IBM and my old IBM is pretty much what is being offered here today. You could literally drop it from 8 feet up and that thing wouldn't even show the slightest hint of being abused. The school that I went to did some testing on how rugged those computers were and you'd be amazed what they went through without showing any damage. Loved that computer! I now have an ideapad and even though it's not near as rugged as the thinkpad, it's a darn good computer. I've had it for over a year and absolutely no problems have arisen. And the button in the middle is so convenient! Wish I still had it. It takes a very short amount of time to get used to, but it is way better than touchpads. Anyway, the ThinkPad is a fabulous computer for college students who need something is both going to last and take a beating.

sephxiroth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sephxiroth
nuggib wrote:The description doesn't mention the coolest thing about this netbook. We've been looking at the newer model (x131e) for a 1-to-1 program at the school district I work for. These netbooks are ruggedized and built for educational use. This means recessed ports, stronger hinges, spill resistant keyboards - basically the thing was built to take a pretty good beating.

The pictures show it having the standard lenovo hinges and ports....

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

Typing this on my X61. Absolute favorite computer I've ever owned, I LOVE it.

Of course, I don't see how this is better than my old workhorse here..mine has 2.0ghz Core2Duo, also can do 8GB of RAM (sadly DDR2), and can take any size SATA (bought a used 500GB for $40 on craigslist).

Convenience of a netbook, power of a laptop, durability of a thinkpad. LOVE IT!

Oh, and let me mention, the nub ROCKS. Once I figured out that in conjunction with the middle button it can do two axis scrolling, it's nearly as good as Apple's multitouch trackpad as an input device.

Oh, and on mine (as on most ThinkPades), linux support is excellent, Ubuntu picked up everything 100% automatically, eezy breezy.

listafsface

quality posts: 0 Private Messages listafsface

These things are garbage. The School system i work for ordered these, and we've sent half of them back to the dealer, a third have already been re-imaged, and none of them work with draft G wireless. so if you take to a hotel with old access points it will cause the thinkpad to blue screen. Thats right the BSOD.

listafsface

quality posts: 0 Private Messages listafsface
nuggib wrote:The description doesn't mention the coolest thing about this netbook. We've been looking at the newer model (x131e) for a 1-to-1 program at the school district I work for. These netbooks are ruggedized and built for educational use. This means recessed ports, stronger hinges, spill resistant keyboards - basically the thing was built to take a pretty good beating.

thats because its an image of an x100e

inkycatz

alienflux wrote:thanks, much appreciated.

Okay Discovery card peeps, if you could re-enter your shipping and billing addresses and let me know if that works for you that would be fantastic.

Something in the system is just having a fit of

But I'm told this fix may do the trick. You can also PM me or any other moderator by using the envelopes by our names if you need to chat privately about it (but we're likely to get you to mail support@woot.com, since we have no hand in actual billing things).

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 24 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

It's unusual to see all the accolades for a product made in China. But my Lenovo 420 is rock solid.

fruithead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fruithead
inkycatz wrote:Okay Discovery card peeps, if you could re-enter your shipping and billing addresses and let me know if that works for you that would be fantastic.

But I'm told this fix may do the trick. You can also PM me or any other moderator by using the envelopes by our names if you need to chat privately about it (but we're likely to get you to mail support@woot.com, since we have no hand in actual billing things).

um the problem is kind of thaT there are no more intels......(i was also having cc issues) and the amd ones are sort of not worth buying.

so yeah.

Qlaras

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Qlaras
inkycatz wrote:Okay Discovery card peeps, if you could re-enter your shipping and billing addresses and let me know if that works for you that would be fantastic.

(image trimmed)

I had an issue with Discover (wanted the AMD) - it rejected it, ordered with Mastercard, then 20 minutes later Discover Fraud Prevention called. "We blocked it, then approved it. Just wanted to verify was a legit order."

So got my order in but can help look at stuff to make it work next time.

inkycatz

fruithead wrote:um the problem is kind of thaT there are no more intels......(i was also having cc issues) and the amd ones are sort of not worth buying.

so yeah.

Gah, sorry about that.

Qlaras wrote:I had an issue with Discover (wanted the AMD) - it rejected it, ordered with Mastercard, then 20 minutes later Discover Fraud Prevention called. "We blocked it, then approved it. Just wanted to verify was a legit order."

So got my order in but can help look at stuff to make it work next time.

Discover's looking out for ya. (And so are we, but glad they called.)

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

I don't know about these series of thinkpads but from what everyone is saying, it agrees with my experience on the T42, X60, and X201. They are terrific machines and the trackpoint is under-appreciated by the inexperienced. It has the advantages of a trackball without the real-estate and without the mechanical problems. But, it's even better because the touch-pad and trackball share the problem of moving the curser accross the full screen and having to reposition your hand.

These are real productivity machines. As someone said, if you want to play games or do 3D modeling, that's not what this is for.

bradenmcg wrote:Note that the Celeron-based unit comes with 4GB of RAM vs the 2 in the AMD.

Also, these come with a trackpoint, which is a SUPER rarity in little netbooks. It takes some getting used to, but they are actually much more convenient than the undersized trackpads that they cram at the bottom.

Lane03

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lane03
zenrunner92 wrote:ARGH!!! The Intel version is now sold out.

I have been trying to buy this damn thing all morning but Woot keeps rejecting my Disc card even though when I called Disc they said that they had SEVEN approved charges for this item in their system. W T F is wrong with this website???

Exact same problem here. I finally said screw it and gave up, only to get a phone call from Discover about my card being used fraudulently. The order never went thru and yet they had two orders in their system that they said were "approved".

choppercharles

quality posts: 4 Private Messages choppercharles

I stand by my "keyboard sucks" assertion. The rest of my Lenovo (W530) is great, but I hate the keyboard. Keys are spaced too far apart, home and end keys are WAY out of the way, Fn/Ctrl keys are reversed, which makes switching between laptops a constant frustration. I much prefer the keyboard on my old HP Envy 14. Hell, I even like the keyboard better on my 1st generation Aspire One 8.9" netbook.

wearyeagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wearyeagle
Shinespark wrote:No optical drive.

How does one load programs on this puter then?

jbwhite99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jbwhite99

That's exactly it - this was made especially for schools - and they are built to take a licking and keep on ticking (sorry Timex). Net is that these boxes are built like tanks, and you get the support of the #1 Notebook company in the world (not some small company, Woot copy writer) behind it.

No optical, but you can get USB-powered DVD burners for only $30 most places, and how often do you need it?

Look at it this way - it may not be the biggest or fastest - and where else will you get a new ThinkPad for $299?

OK Woot, step it up - I've only bought 2 things in the last 13 months

annie315

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annie315

Can someone tell me what the options are for word processing on this machine. Forgive the dumb question but I do need to create and save documents. Thanks!

justafreak

quality posts: 11 Private Messages justafreak
annie315 wrote:Can someone tell me what the options are for word processing on this machine. Forgive the dumb question but I do need to create and save documents. Thanks!

Well if you don't want to buy MS Office and you don't want to download one of amny free options out there and you're on the internets SkyDrive and Google Drive both offer somewhat robust on-line word processing and storage of said word processing.documents.

I will say I run Office 2013 on my X120e with no issues. (granted I also have 8GBs of Ram and a 128GB SSD crammed into it...but hey)

.rev - 325.unique.woots / 567.total.items - woot is where the crap is.

jshagam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jshagam
wearyeagle wrote:How does one load programs on this puter then?

I hear there's this great thing called "Internet" which allows content to be distributed electronically. Some software retailers are actually using that newfangled thing to provide software! Crazy, huh?

(Also if you have older software on an optical medium it's easy enough to find a USB DVD drive or whatever.)

justafreak

jshagam wrote:I hear there's this great thing called "Internet" which allows content to be distributed electronically. Some software retailers are actually using that newfangled thing to provide software! Crazy, huh?

(Also if you have older software on an optical medium it's easy enough to find a USB DVD drive or whatever.)

I keep a 16GB USB Drive in mine at all times as it doesn't really stick out. And while its not the fasted USB out there it boots to install Windows 8 and I've also left copies of Office and a few other apps that make it easier than downloading from TechNet, MSDN or elsewhere on the interwebs...

And if worse comes to worse I do have a USB DVD Writer I bought a while back that gets very rare use.

But the integrated USB cord makes it a simple travel companion as my "just in case" optical drive.

It's less than 30 bucks and you don't ever have to worry about losing its cord. (Also its USB powered.

http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-USB-Portable-Writer-DVSM-PC58U2VB/dp/B004ZMVQRA

And that little (all be it slowish) USB drive that never leaves my x120e? You can have it for around 12 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B005FYNSZA

metagg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages metagg
ingus wrote:This kills the deal for me. If this $300 laptop doesn't look like a $999 MacBook Air, or anything close, why would I even think about being all over this?

So people won't want to steal it

asjxvii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asjxvii

quality of this Lenovo laptop is very bad. Cheaply made and it feels not solid.

I've had to return this laptop numerous times. Eventually decided to return the unit and just buy a Dell and have been very happy since.

Sheena3745

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Sheena3745

For anyone still on the fence, I'm writing this on my Lenovo x120e I got last March right here. It cost me $35 bucks more than this one & it's got a smidgen faster processor (1.6), but the rest is the same, with the AMD chip (no option for Intel back then).
I am perfectly happy with mine & have been using it daily, taking it to work & school daily, usually running Office 2010 & several browsers with dozens of tabs all at the same time.
If I had to complain (mildly) about anything is that the battery is about 6 hours, tops (low compared with some advertised as 10 or 11 these days, but of course I paid about $200-300 less too). In any case once plugged in it recharges ridiculously fast (I've gone from 0 to 100% in less than an hour).
The function key is indeed on the outside, but that's the case for my big laptop, so no worries there. I had more trouble getting used to the delete key (3rd from the right on top).
It is a netbook, so don't expect dashing processing, but I can hardly tell the difference vs my 7.5 lb workhorse.
On a happy note, in mine the specs said only 1 USB port has power, but I haven't had any trouble charging my phone or running the portable drive from port, with the laptop open or not, plugged in or not . I also have a portable DVD player that has worked just fine even when plugged to just one port.
Still on Windows 7. I don't feel the need to upgrade at the moment & probably won't bother. All I wanted was a light netbook with good processing power & I got just that. I like the varied mousing options & use one or the other (plus my external trackball) depending on what I'm working on. Love the big keys & bright screen. Both the wi-fi & bluetooth have worked beautifully without having to install anything extra.
Enjoy your notebook.

Rosie

Warning Note > As you may have read elsewhere, this netbook has no open button. If you are used to one of those, it's very easy to mistake the mouse buttons for a release. Get used to opening the netbook from the side to prevent ripping the mouse apart if you're too forceful.

rtfirefly

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rtfirefly

Ordered one of the Intels this morning. My 2008-vintage Acer Aspire 1 netbook was getting a bit long in the tooth, and the keyboard had always been a tad too smallish for my fingers. I've been wanting a slightly bigger netbook for awhile now, and this looks like the perfect opportunity. I think I may give the Acer to my mother-in-law, once I copy stuff off it.

tracker1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tracker1

Honestly, I can't tell you how much I pay attention to the keyboard layouts on anything these days... first, I tend to use the right shift key more and the left ctrl key more... anything that moves, or displaces these is difficult to get used to. I've been using a model-m + winkeys layout on desktop keyboards over 40 hours a week for 20+ years... with that level of muscle memory, anything different can range from difficult to outright disruptive. I'm currently using a htpc keyboard that I hate, but it is unfortunately the best option. I've had several laptops, and will agree, the left control key not in the corner is a non-starter for me as well.

visualp wrote:You've gotta be kidding me. Lenovo makes the best keyboards of any laptop manufacturer, period. It takes like 5 minutes to get used to the Fn/Ctrl configuration after you start using it. If THAT is what you are judging the keyboard on, you are seriously misguided

-- Michael J. Ryan - http://tracker1.info

wamanning

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wamanning
tracker1 wrote:Honestly, I can't tell you how much I pay attention to the keyboard layouts on anything these days... first, I tend to use the right shift key more and the left ctrl key more... anything that moves, or displaces these is difficult to get used to. I've been using a model-m + winkeys layout on desktop keyboards over 40 hours a week for 20+ years... with that level of muscle memory, anything different can range from difficult to outright disruptive. I'm currently using a htpc keyboard that I hate, but it is unfortunately the best option. I've had several laptops, and will agree, the left control key not in the corner is a non-starter for me as well.

lenovo firmware supports ctrl/fn key swaps.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja

I would have bought this if I didn't already have an X120e.

cage017

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cage017

Tempting. I have a Toshiba nb255 netbook with an Intel Atom which I purchased 2 years ago. Even with the upgraded 2 GB Ram, it still slows down for me so something with a stronger processor and more upgradeable RAM would be nice. For the record, I would use it as a backup/travel computer (I am typing this on my Sony Vaio).

However, I am wondering if I should just wait since it seems like tablets are the future. $299 is a great price though.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
Sheena3745 wrote:On a happy note, in mine the specs said only 1 USB port has power, but I haven't had any trouble charging my phone or running the portable drive from port, with the laptop open or not, plugged in or not.

It sounds like you are referring to the "always on" yellow USB port. The only thing different about that port is that it will allow you to charge a device while the laptop is powered off. (You still have to have the always on setting enabled in BIOS, and also have to have the AC adapter plugged into the laptop for that functionality though)

Sheena3745 wrote:I also have a portable DVD player that has worked just fine even when plugged to just one port.

Same here.
The USB port on the Lenovo and even on my Acer Aspire One do what they are designed to do.
My old Dell Inspiron 8600 on the other hand has anemic USB ports. They work fine for USB devices that require little power (like keyboards, mice, flash drives, etc), but once you plug in something that requires more power (like some hard drives/DVD drives), those devices can sometimes require more power than the USB ports on the Dell 8600 can supply.

Sheena3745 wrote:Warning Note > As you may have read elsewhere, this netbook has no open button. If you are used to one of those, it's very easy to mistake the mouse buttons for a release. Get used to opening the netbook from the side to prevent ripping the mouse apart if you're too forceful.

And make sure to not allow some clumsy 1diot to touch it.

azhardbody74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azhardbody74
JJStripes wrote:I picked up one of these from the lenovo outlet a few months ago. It was fine when I got it, but I upgraded to 8gb of ram and an SSD and now it flies. If you want a laptop with a really good keyboard (impossible on an ultrabook), good battery life, and you want to be able to toss it in your bag sans cover this is the way to go.

Which SSD and RAM did you upgrade to? I just bought one and am looking into those options myself. Thanks.

mmay1213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmay1213

I PURCHASED IT - WAITING FOR SHIPPING INFO. PLS SEND THE SPECS ON THIS COMPUTER OR TELL ME HOW TO FIND THEM.

justafreak

azhardbody74 wrote:Which SSD and RAM did you upgrade to? I just bought one and am looking into those options myself. Thanks.

I'd go with one of the Samsung 830 SSDs since the 840s are out you can find last year's 830 models rather cheap...and as for ram..any value ram is fine...

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner

Don't know but it took Woot 2+ days to get mine out the door

Bill

dinglebunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dinglebunny

Woot has given me a tracking number, but when I attempt to track the package, I get this error message:

Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office.

Does this mean that I will not be able to track the laptop and ensure I am home to receive it? Mail/package theft is a problem in our neighborhood.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dinglebunny wrote:Woot has given me a tracking number, but when I attempt to track the package, I get this error message:

Does this mean that I will not be able to track the laptop and ensure I am home to receive it? Mail/package theft is a problem in our neighborhood.

Give it another day or two. The tracking numbers are generated when the labels are created. It can be a another day or two before the item leaves the warehouse and is scanned in by the shipper.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
ThunderThighs wrote:Give it another day or two. The tracking numbers are generated when the labels are created. It can be a another day or two before the item leaves the warehouse and is scanned in by the shipper.

Is that still the case for FBA items?