Serafyna

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Serafyna

As a Mom of 4 kids - I *love* eneloop batteries. I use them in everything. My kids toys, controllers, remotes, the flash for my dslr, flash lights (with a converter)... nearly everything that has replaceable batteries. I have them in AA and AAA sizes, with converters for D and C.

This is a fantastic gift to add with toys to niece/nephew/granddaughter/grandson, etc -- or for your "Angel" off the gift tree, as buying and replacing batteries is VERY expensive. This pack would be a great way to introduce someone to easily the best rechargeable batteries out there. This would also be good for a kid off at college that you don't want to send off with your "fancy" charger.

That said, Costco regularly has deals on just the batteries. I am trying to remember the exact price I paid, I believe it was 19.99 for 12 AA. If I hadn't just moved I could check.

Granted it may be the lesser recharge cycles, I haven't worn any batteries out yet to weigh in on that.. in 3 years of use. I've been more likely to lose a battery then have it actually die.

So, my bottom line - I don't think you would regret these if you don't own any, or a better charger. Even if you do, the extra cycle life and having a 'spare' charger for your laptop/travel bag/camera bag that you wouldn't be heartbroken to lose could push the value over the edge. The batteries definitely won't disappoint you. Once you delve into the high end rechargeable battery world though - beware, you'll find yourself hunting down the better charger for your fancy batteries and watching sales like a hawk to replace every battery you own with these. They are as evil as high end knives, watches and pens! There are always compelling reasons to own the better made ones. Usually boiling down to performance, longevity and in the case of these - convenience and savings over time.

Hope that helps!

deueltl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deueltl

I have to add my voice to the chorus of folks saying these are great, long-lasting batteries but I also am not thrilled with the charger. Fast chargers tend to wear batteries out faster. I'm more of a fan of something that will trickle charge on the finish and can show you your capacity.

spydertap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spydertap

As much as I want to buy this (they do have colorful attractive batteries) I think the future of rechargeable AA batteries is not up to snuff. The future may in portable battery chargers that connect via micro usb, also rechargeable batteries arent as strong as off the shelf alkalines when you compare.

tesla33

quality posts: 57 Private Messages tesla33
deueltl wrote:I have to add my voice to the chorus of folks saying these are great, long-lasting batteries but I also am not thrilled with the charger. Fast chargers tend to wear batteries out faster. I'm more of a fan of something that will trickle charge on the finish and can show you your capacity.

The charger that comes with the batteries isn't really a fast charger. It isn't very smart, but it takes about four hours to fully charge the batteries, and this doesn't seem to hurt them.

deueltl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deueltl
tesla33 wrote:The charger that comes with the batteries isn't really a fast charger. It isn't very smart, but it takes about four hours to fully charge the batteries, and this doesn't seem to hurt them.

Definitely superior to the 20 minute chargers then.

We have something like 50 eneloops lying about the house with a LaCrosse charger for them, so we have no current need but a friend was just complaining about rechargeable... I'll pass this on since the charger is decent. Thanks for the clarification!

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
tesla33 wrote:The heat produced by fast charging can shorten their lifespan, even when using a smart charger. That's why most good smart chargers have a "soft" or "slow charge" mode that charges more slowly.

No, heat is only generated when the batteries are no longer taking the current and it needs somewhere else to go.

wooterman11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterman11

I was at Costco last night and they have a 10 pack of AA eneloop batteries for $19.99. Just the batteries, no charger. They are selling the charger separate for a little more than $6.00, so if you already have a charger this may be a better option. They also had a 12 pack of AAA eneloop batteries for $19.99 as well.

rayn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rayn

I'm still waiting for super-capacitor technology. I have a SC screwdriver that recharges in 90 seconds with unlimited number of recharges

bgsbabe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bgsbabe

I can't wait to get these! I don't imagine I will get them in time for presents Saturday morning, but still what a great gift for my sons in law! Thank you!

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver
Guybrush01 wrote:Wow, these are pricey! Are they worth it?

They are $30 at Costco. Definitely the real deal though. These are the only rechargeables that I buy. These last about 6-10 months in my TI-NSpire Calculator. About 6-12 months in a remote. They also charge pretty fast.

Another good sources for extra batteries is amazon. I personally would pick up 2-3 of these with the $5 shipping. The extra chargers are handy. Then pick up as many AAAs as you need.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
deemery wrote:I got the iGo Green rechargeable alkaline batteries on a previous Woot about 6 months ago, and the've been a big disappointment. They don't hold much charge any more. These seem to be a different NiMH technology.

Yeah...their not NiMH they are alkaline. Did you forget that you typed that part?

gak0090

tesla33 wrote:The charger that comes with the batteries isn't really a fast charger. It isn't very smart, but it takes about four hours to fully charge the batteries, and this doesn't seem to hurt them.

So- if this charger isn't very "smart" I can't keep the batteries parked in there until I need them? I kind of like keeping the batteries in the charger until I need them, this way I know they are topped off and I know where to find them. I know sometimes this isn't considered a good practice, but its just easier. Is there a charge I can use that will accomplish this, if this one can't?

KATANARYDA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KATANARYDA

If I didn't already have these, I'd be all over this. Buy with confidence, folks.

w00ten since 7/24/04 and still no Boggy Old Creature ಠ_ಠ

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
gak0090 wrote:So- if this charger isn't very "smart" I can't keep the batteries parked in there until I need them? I kind of like keeping the batteries in the charger until I need them, this way I know they are topped off and I know where to find them. I know sometimes this isn't considered a good practice, but its just easier. Is there a charge I can use that will accomplish this, if this one can't?

You don't need to keep these "topped off". The big thing about low self-discharge NiMH batteries is that they hold their charge, and Eneloops are among the best at it.

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull
tesla33 wrote:Just to keep expectations reasonable, Eneloops do share a flaw with most other rechargeable batteries: the 1.2 volt average voltage will cause many devices like typical digital cameras to shut down with most of the charge still unused. This is because the device thinks that 1.2, (or 1.99) volts means "dead."

Nickel-zinc batteries, with their 1.6 volt output, are better for devices that were designed for alkaline battery voltages, which average about 1.3 volts after they are used a bit. That being said, Eneloops do a bit better than most other NiMH batteries in cameras.

Disagree ... I have around 100 of these batteries, and I have yet to find anything that they will not work in (and last for quite awhile) with the exception of one wireless mouse that I could not fit them into (they are very slightly fatter than a typical alkaline).

YES, They are rated at 1.2 volts... But they hold 1.2 volts for almost the entire discharge cycle, what this means is that I have a lot of electronic devices that will report 1/2 battery strength most of the time with a very quick "low batt" to "dead" transition, so the battery guage is useless for the most part. Alkalines are not considered dead at 1.2 volts, most devices dont consider them *dead* until about 0.9 - 1.0 volts.

In addition, battery operated electronics are often designed with this "discharge" curve in mind, so they are designed to run on voltages less than 1.5 volts per cell 90% of the time ... They are NOT always so much designed to run on over-voltage.

As for this deal, they are great batteries... I would not consider this a good charger, any charger that charges in pairs is not monitoring each cell to give each battery the best charge possible... If you were to put two batteries in to charge, one at 25% charge and the other at 75% charge you are either going to end up with one battery that is not charged enough, or one that is over charged, or both... Do yourself a favor and get a good charger to make this investment worth while. (I use BC-500 (at home) and BC-700 (at work) chargers from LaCrosse) ... Highly recommend the BC-500 for it's simplicity.

patfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patfarm

Will other brands of regchargable batteries work with this charger? (I've never owned eneloop batteries, so I'm not sure if they use a different charging method.)

nkull

patfarm wrote:Will other brands of regchargable batteries work with this charger? (I've never owned eneloop batteries, so I'm not sure if they use a different charging method.)

Any NiMH batteries ...

patfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patfarm
nkull wrote:Any NiMH batteries ...

Thanks!

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran
trinsf wrote:*chortle* I'm assuming you all can guess my roommate doesn't have a Rabbit bb gun. She's got a Rabbit lady-toy, if you know what I mean. *cough cough* YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT.

Ha, Woot editing posts again. I wondered what got stuck, the batteries in the thing or the thing in her.

Rock

sniperd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sniperd
killher wrote:Does anybody know if this is the charger that will allow you to charge just one battery at a time or do you have to charge in pairs?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50/ref=wms_ohs_product

It works awesome, especially with these batteries.

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz

lol WOW

These are WAYYY overpriced.

I just bought:
Sanyo eneloop Power Pack Starter Kit in Blue Case: 2nd Generation for $39.95 + free shipping @

http://goo.gl/sjPzJ

Included:

4-Position Charger
8 x AA eneloop Rechargeable Batteries
2 x AAA eneloop Rechargeable Batteries
2 x "C" Spacers / Adapters
2 x "D" Spacers / Adapters
Carrying Case

Woot is trying to screw you...

....hard.

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

papilow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages papilow

I have bought a few enloop 2nd gen batteries off amazon, and i have to say they are great. I use them mostly in my Xbox Controller, and they last many many many hours of play. i am extremely satisfied with enloop batteries, and i have made them the standard rechargeable battery in my house. they are a bit pricey, but id much rather have a battery that lasts then a cheaper one and have to carry 2 extra sets.

inchii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inchii

These are great backup batteries for your DSLR camera flash especially if you're travelling because they hold their charge for a long time.

mgpaulus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mgpaulus
sniperd wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50/ref=wms_ohs_product

It works awesome, especially with these batteries.

Maha makes a couple of nice chargers that are great for these. Here's an 8 slot charger that can charge 1-8, with all independent channels (I have RC controllers that use 8 at a time, so this charger is great for that): http://www.thomasdistributing.com/MAHA-MH-C801D-AA--AAA-Battery-ChargerbrDELUXE-8-Cell-Professional-Battery-Charger-w-Full-LCD-Display_p_2559.html

Here's a nice 4 channel charger that can do 1-4 independently, has full diagnostics and has reconditioning functions also:
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-Powerex-MH-C9000-AA--AAA-Battery-Chargerbr_p_134.html

And that LaCrosse charger mentioned previously is also pretty nice:
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/La-Crosse-LC-BC700-AA-and-AAA-Battery-Charger-with-LCD-Display_p_907.html

danlecompte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danlecompte

Just to clear up any confusion about NiMHs only being 1.2V and not working as well as 1.5V alkalines, I recently found some information from a forum about batteries and LED bike lights.

"I've used NiMH batteries in a few different headlamps without trouble.

Battery voltages aren't as simple as a certain cell outputting a certain voltage. All batteries have a discharge curve: they start out at a certain voltage that decreases as they discharge. Alkaline batteries start out around 1.6V and then drop quite quickly to about 1.35V, and provide most of their power between 1.35 and 1.15V. NiMH batteries start out around 1.3V, but provide most of their power between 1.2 and 1.1V. Here are a few graphs of discharge curves for alkaline and NiMH batteries (you probably want to look at the lower discharge rates graphs for the alkalines, rather than the first few). In reality, despite the different nominal voltages (1.5V versus 1.2V) alkaline and NiMH batteries provide most of their power at fairly similar voltages.

Using NiMH batteries in LED lights isn't absolutely ideal, because the devices are usually designed to work with the slightly higher voltages of alkalines, but it is usually close enough."

You're not going to have any problems using these batteries in almost all applications you would use a standard alkaline in. I've been using Eneloops for years and I love them. I also recommend the LaCrosse charger everyone else has already mentioned. Believe the hype for both products

dpware

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dpware

Are eneloop batteries suitable for cordless phones? Thanks!

Myself248

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Myself248
tesla33 wrote:Just to keep expectations reasonable, Eneloops do share a flaw with most other rechargeable batteries: the 1.2 volt average voltage will cause many devices like typical digital cameras to shut down with most of the charge still unused.

That's been completely the opposite of my experience: My Canon SX-110IS won't even start (complains "change the batteries") on my regular NiMH batteries, but it runs for weeks on Eneloops. I think the LSD (that's low-self-discharge, you animals!) chemistry means slightly better voltage hold-up under load, and that makes the difference.

That being said, my Canon may be right on the border, and there are surely Alkaline-tuned devices where these won't work any better than any other Ni-MH batteries. (Folks who make such devices should be hanged for enviro-treason, btw.)

I didn't realize NiZn had hit the market, thanks! Picking up a set now.

atomicpuffball

quality posts: 1 Private Messages atomicpuffball

Consumer Reports rates Eneloop the best of the rechargeables, and much better than alkaline and nickle oxy-hydroxide. only lithium scores higher.

gak0090

craigthom wrote:You don't need to keep these "topped off". The big thing about low self-discharge NiMH batteries is that they hold their charge, and Eneloops are among the best at it.

Do you think it will hurt the batteries if I keep it in there? Let me give you the scenario: I have a Kodak Z990 that takes 4AA. The rechargeable batteries that came with it are marginal at best. The way I like to do it is keep the batteries either in the charger or in the camera, this way I always know where they are at. So basically 4 are in the charger while 4 are in the camera, then I switch them around when the camera depletes them. So it creates a nice closed loop system for me. If I have to take the batteries out of the charger and store them in a different place- I kill the entire fung shui of my universe. Help me balance my chi and tell me that it is possible to just keep the batteries in the charger until I need them without causing adverse events. Thanks

bltkmt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bltkmt

2 or 4 batteries at at time...FAIL. Independent charging slots FTW.

computiac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages computiac

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

as mentioned, this is the best charger for eneloops. I have this and highly recommend it.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

maybejet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maybejet
bondiablo wrote:These are absolutely not worth it. The batteries are great but the charger is junk. Never use a charger that can only charge in pairs. Get an 8 pack of eneloops for a lot less than these then spend a little extra on a good charger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GS6FIE

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DL9WDG

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031ERMO4

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J6DLD4

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NLUSLM

wings2004 hit the nail on the head! Your links were pretty much useless, other than to promote this Woot deal. Better luck next time in your quest for a quality post!

dpware

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dpware

How would you rate the charger that comes with the eneloop power packs?

nkull

gak0090 wrote:Do you think it will hurt the batteries if I keep it in there? Let me give you the scenario: I have a Kodak Z990 that takes 4AA. The rechargeable batteries that came with it are marginal at best. The way I like to do it is keep the batteries either in the charger or in the camera, this way I always know where they are at. So basically 4 are in the charger while 4 are in the camera, then I switch them around when the camera depletes them. So it creates a nice closed loop system for me. If I have to take the batteries out of the charger and store them in a different place- I kill the entire fung shui of my universe. Help me balance my chi and tell me that it is possible to just keep the batteries in the charger until I need them without causing adverse events. Thanks

It is generally advised that batteries are not left in chargers ... I do not know if this charger applies a "maintenance trickle" charge or not, but it is not necessary with these batteries and could actually damage them if left for very long periods of time if it does. That being said, they would probably be OK if swapped every week or two?

I use cases like these to hold my batteries, and I personally never leave them in the charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-166704298-2S-Battery-Storage/dp/B008OC043Y/ref=sr_1_7?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1355932043&sr=1-7&keywords=battery+case

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

OK, I don't really see the 'deal' here. This comes to $29.67 with shipping and PA sales tax. It's only $32.73 for the basically the same thing at Amazon (8 2nd gen AA Eneloops & same charger)

http://www.amazon.com/SANYO-4-Position-Rechargeable-Battery-Charger/dp/B005ILYG5Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355932111&sr=8-3&keywords=sanyo+eneloop+charger

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B004UG41XW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355932455&sr=8-1&keywords=sanyo+eneloop

Would expect more of a savings from woot... sad face!

Also, although out of stock, Amazon has the 4 pack with charger for $19.99. Add their 4 pack of batteries for 9.99 and today's woot is only a $2.00 savings.

But hey, I guess it's still a savings, just not enough to make me say, 'wow, better jump on this deal' like many older woot DEALS used to do.

nkull

nkull wrote:It is generally advised that batteries are not left in chargers ... I do not know if this charger applies a "maintenance trickle" charge or not, but it is not necessary with these batteries and could actually damage them if left for very long periods of time if it does. That being said, they would probably be OK if swapped every week or two?

I use cases like these to hold my batteries, and I personally never leave them in the charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-166704298-2S-Battery-Storage/dp/B008OC043Y/ref=sr_1_7?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1355932043&sr=1-7&keywords=battery+case

Anyone looking for a good charger that is really cheap, this one is Smart and charges each cell individually which is a big deal IMO ... The batteries that come with it suck, but not a bad deal for $10 (could use the included batteries in a remote or something else low powered)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BCG34HLD2RN-Charger-Pre-Charged-Batteries/dp/B003GS6FIE/ref=cm_rdp_product

autumn0485

quality posts: 1 Private Messages autumn0485

This is the first thing I've felt like buying in ages. Granted, I skimmed through the comments here and noticed a mixture of bad and good, but not enough bad to curb my want.

Sparkly batteries, here I come!

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller

Thanks for the info everyone.
Since I didn't need the charger, I just got a 4 pack each AA and AAA for $18 on parental unit. Free 2 day shipping (Prime) means I'll have them Friday.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Good morning all. Just catching up on a couple things from the wee hours of the morning.

Buyer has confirmed that these are 2nd generation eneloops.

They've added a bit more info about the charger to the Features tab.

Charge forth and grab these glitter babies.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

astevenscr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages astevenscr

I have liked my eneloop batteries, and the sparkly look is fun. I much prefer using a smarter charger, especially one that can charge each battery individually (this charges in pairs) so you can get the best charging performance per battery (I have one of these chargers sitting on a shelf somewhere, unused). If you do go that way, this isn't that great of a deal. You can get a four-pack of these batteries for under $10 at Thomas Distributing.