ledastray

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ledastray
astevenscr wrote:I have liked my eneloop batteries, and the sparkly look is fun. I much prefer using a smarter charger, especially one that can charge each battery individually (this charges in pairs) so you can get the best charging performance per battery (I have one of these chargers sitting on a shelf somewhere, unused). If you do go that way, this isn't that great of a deal. You can get a four-pack of these batteries for under $10 at Thomas Distributing.

But those aren't fabulous! :-)

Thomas Distributing is a good company, I've dealt with them many times, and that might meet some folk's needs better than this offer.

Edit to add: Thomas usually has good prices on Maha smart chargers too.

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab
nkull wrote:Anyone looking for a good charger that is really cheap, this one is Smart and charges each cell individually which is a big deal IMO ... The batteries that come with it suck, but not a bad deal for $10 (could use the included batteries in a remote or something else low powered)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BCG34HLD2RN-Charger-Pre-Charged-Batteries/dp/B003GS6FIE/ref=cm_rdp_product

Thanks for the link and recommendation!! That Sony deal, plus the 8-pack of eneloops over at the "mother ship" for $17.89 is definitely worth the extra 18 cents.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B004UG41XW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355932455&sr=8-1&keywords=sanyo+eneloop

Look at it this way, for 18 cents more than this woot, you get a much better charger, and two extra (sony) lite rechargeable batteries.

That killed this woot deal for me :-(

Sorry woot... still love ya though!

billlh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billlh
aerios01 wrote:yes, these are worth the price considering they keep their charge for a long time after few thousands charges. i already have these types and i they are great. these will be cheaper over time when compared to other rechargeable batteries.

I would disagree, the batteries are great. The charger is junk and will eventually ruin your batteries. If you are going to use rechargeable you must buy a good charger it's the most important part. Amazon sells both the La Crosse and the PowerEx chargers. So really what your buying here is 8 batteries. You would do better to buy these on the regular site. Unless of course you can't live without these vivid colors.

gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090
gak0090 wrote:Do you think it will hurt the batteries if I keep it in there? Let me give you the scenario: I have a Kodak Z990 that takes 4AA. The rechargeable batteries that came with it are marginal at best. The way I like to do it is keep the batteries either in the charger or in the camera, this way I always know where they are at. So basically 4 are in the charger while 4 are in the camera, then I switch them around when the camera depletes them. So it creates a nice closed loop system for me. If I have to take the batteries out of the charger and store them in a different place- I kill the entire fung shui of my universe. Help me balance my chi and tell me that it is possible to just keep the batteries in the charger until I need them without causing adverse events. Thanks

I am going to take a walk on the wild side and just keep them in the charger as long as they don't stay warm/hot awhile after the charging cycle has completed. http://askville.amazon.com/harm-leaving-rechargeable-batteries-plugged-long-periods-time-remote-control-toys/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7344787
If these come up again and I have poor results with keeping it in the charger continuously I'll let everyone know. Until then I will maintain my fung shui and keep 4 batteries in my camera and in my charger at all times.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
gak0090 wrote:Do you think it will hurt the batteries if I keep it in there? Let me give you the scenario: I have a Kodak Z990 that takes 4AA. The rechargeable batteries that came with it are marginal at best. The way I like to do it is keep the batteries either in the charger or in the camera, this way I always know where they are at. So basically 4 are in the charger while 4 are in the camera, then I switch them around when the camera depletes them. So it creates a nice closed loop system for me. If I have to take the batteries out of the charger and store them in a different place- I kill the entire fung shui of my universe. Help me balance my chi and tell me that it is possible to just keep the batteries in the charger until I need them without causing adverse events. Thanks

My thought - as someone who struggles with organization and can easily imagine being in the situation you describe - the plug on the back of the charger folds away, so after the batteries have recharged, you could leave them in the charger, unplug the charger, and put the charger with the batteries still in it into a drawer. That would allow you to store the batteries in the charger, so when you needed to swap out dead batteries for charged ones and use the charger to recharge the dead ones, the charger and charged batteries would still be together. (Last year, I designated a drawer in my entry as batteries/battery chargers/unused gift cards/local maps. It's really helped me be able to put my hands on batteries or the chargers when I need them, although it's not quite second nature: when I need a battery, I have to think for a minute about where they are, but it totally beats spending an hour digging through drawers and finally stealing the batteries from the TV remote! [I can't be the only person who has done that, right? )

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

kkaltsas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kkaltsas

Eneloops are awesome but this price doesn't seem great. Can get a 10pk plus a 4pk and charger at Costco for about the same price.

scottmccaskill3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottmccaskill3

Don't buy from WOOT. Awful experience buying and trying to deal with their customer service. Can't believe these clowns are owned by Amazon.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
scottmccaskill3 wrote:Don't buy from WOOT. Awful experience buying and trying to deal with their customer service. Can't believe these clowns are owned by Amazon.

Well, not to veer too far off the topic, but we'd love to find out what the problem is. How about you send a note to support@woot.com and let them know what the trouble is so they can try to assist?

I'm just hanging out, really.

giolee88

quality posts: 17 Private Messages giolee88
sdc100 wrote:Yes, but you must choose the NiMH setting (NOT alkaline). Any NiMH charger will work with Eneloops and other LSD batteries. Try to use a smart charger that monitors each battery individually.

So, just to be clear, I can charge eneloop batteries with *any* charger that has a Ni-MH setting, and the charger won't damage the eneloop battery any more or less than it would any other Ni-MH battery, right?

As a corollary, if I got this woot, I could use this charger on any of my other Ni-MH batteries, and they would be charged correctly and not damaged as well, right?

I have two eneloops (love 'em...want more) already that I've been nervous about putting into a regular charger, bcs I didn't know if they were compatible.

ledastray

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ledastray
giolee88 wrote:So, just to be clear, I can charge eneloop batteries with *any* charger that has a Ni-MH setting, and the charger won't damage the eneloop battery any more or less than it would any other Ni-MH battery, right?

Right. In fact, Eneloops have a great reputation for durability and probably would be damaged less. But...

As a corollary, if I got this woot, I could use this charger on any of my other Ni-MH batteries, and they would be charged correctly and not damaged as well, right? ....

Unfortunately this isn't a great charger. It's probably good enough for most people's applications most of the time. But if you want to avoid any damage, look into the LaCrosse and Maha PowerEx smart chargers linked above. (Actually that Sony sounds pretty good, but I don't have any experience with it.)

gryhnd

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gryhnd

I have a crapload of these I use in my DSLR and speedlites.

I won't rehash what everyone else said, but I will say that the charger I use is Titanium Smart Fast 16 Bay

Each slot is independent of the others, it doesn't cook the batteries, is pretty fast, has a "refresh" mode, and also comes with a cig. adapter for 12V use.

It doesn't have a digital numerical read out, but a segmented display of a battery that slowly increases to full as charging takes place. Good enough for me.

Mine gets almost constant use since I purchased it in May.

mtnadvkl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtnadvkl
tesla33 wrote:Just to keep expectations reasonable, Eneloops do share a flaw with most other rechargeable batteries: the 1.2 volt average voltage will cause many devices like typical digital cameras to shut down with most of the charge still unused. This is because the device thinks that 1.2, (or 1.99) volts means "dead."

Nickel-zinc batteries, with their 1.6 volt output, are better for devices that were designed for alkaline battery voltages, which average about 1.3 volts after they are used a bit. That being said, Eneloops do a bit better than most other NiMH batteries in cameras.

I've used these batteries in a variety of digital cameras with none of the issues you mention. This includes trips over 20,000ft and humid jungles, temps well below zero and heat indexes of 140F. These are without doubt the best!

zeta30

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeta30

I really like Eneloop batteries. I've made numerous 4 X 4 brick packs for myself and friends that fly RC aircraft. We use them in our transmitters. It's nice to know that when we can't fly in the winter the transmitter will still have roughly the same voltage as it did after it's been sitting on the shelf for a couple of months.

Too bad this isn't just for the batteries though I don't need the charger.

embhorn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages embhorn
trinsf wrote:*chortle* I'm assuming you all can guess my roommate doesn't have a Rabbit bb gun. She's got a Rabbit lady-toy, if you know what I mean. *cough cough* YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT.

I just sprayed* my monitor.

*yeah, just coffee.

youtookmyactualname

quality posts: 1 Private Messages youtookmyactualname

If you've got a decent charger (and note the one included is not decent), check these out:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-NiMH-Precharged-Rechargeable-Batteries-8-Pack/dp/B0030T1NFO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355944879&sr=8-2&keywords=amazon+basics+aa
They have a ridiculous shelf life, are cheaper without the crappy charger than this woot, and are amazon to boot (so woot can't be too upset about it, right).

I use these batteries with my hotshoe strobes and they've done incredibly well. I'm going to pick up a few more packs for electronics around the house.

gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090
youtookmyactualname wrote:If you've got a decent charger (and note the one included is not decent), check these out:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-NiMH-Precharged-Rechargeable-Batteries-8-Pack/dp/B0030T1NFO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355944879&sr=8-2&keywords=amazon+basics+aa
They have a ridiculous shelf life, are cheaper without the crappy charger than this woot, and are amazon to boot (so woot can't be too upset about it, right).

I use these batteries with my hotshoe strobes and they've done incredibly well. I'm going to pick up a few more packs for electronics around the house.

With shipping they come in at $22. So basically if you stick with woot you get an additional charger (albeit crappy) and eneloops for an extra $6. After reading the reviews it appears that although they are decent batteries, they aren't as good as eneloops. I rather do the Woot deal.

coosabass2012

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coosabass2012

Does this charger also work with regular NiCad or NiMh batteries like Energizer, Duracell, etc.?

spaceturnip

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spaceturnip

Tip for folks who want to keep their batteries topped off but don't want to leave them in the charger 24/7 (which is bad for them):

Plug the charger into a household timer set to be ON for 1 hour every night.

msmorgan45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msmorgan45

these are the best rechargeable batteries we have ever had. They came out about 4 or 5 years ago and are our only choice for batteries. I use them in my camera,remotes, and hand held GPS. When not in use ,they hold their charge much longer than others. One of the best Woot's in a long time.

AVspec

quality posts: 6 Private Messages AVspec

Anyone use these batteries with Mac wireless keyboard and magic mouse?

3z3vh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 3z3vh

Leaving batteries in a charger that has overcharge protection would be more ideal than leaving them in the charger when the charger has no power.

With the charger powered up, it can monitor the batteries, stop charging when they are full, and begin charging if they get low.

Unplugging the charger means that now the batteries are the only thing in the circuit that can supply power. Depending on the design of the charger, this could cause your batteries to lose charge as they attempt to power the circuit they are plugged into. Even a single resistor or capacitor in that circuit could lead to draining your battery, as long as there is a path that completes the circuit.

3z3vh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 3z3vh
AVspec wrote:Anyone use these batteries with Mac wireless keyboard and magic mouse?

I originally bought my first Eneloops for the Apple Magic Mouse.

As long as I was religious about shutting the mouse off when I was done, I was able to use that mouse for three months, a minimum of 3 hours per day, before they needed to be recharged. They performed AMAZINGLY.

I now have them in that mouse, and in the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard (the thin aluminum one). The keyboard has been in my theatre room for nearly a year and has still not needed charging, despite daily use (though only for short spurts, as I don't do a lot of typing on my home theatre pc, it is only used for typing passwords or URLs).

msmetz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages msmetz

So, someone mentioned a switch for RA vs NiMH on the iGo green chargers.

Is that some switch on the ones woot has had more recently (that charge 8 at a time) as opposed to the older ones that only charge 4 at a time like these: http://www.woot.com/offers/igo-green-battery-charger-with-8-rechargeable-batteries

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom
giolee88 wrote:So, just to be clear, I can charge eneloop batteries with *any* charger that has a Ni-MH setting, and the charger won't damage the eneloop battery any more or less than it would any other Ni-MH battery, right?

As a corollary, if I got this woot, I could use this charger on any of my other Ni-MH batteries, and they would be charged correctly and not damaged as well, right?

I have two eneloops (love 'em...want more) already that I've been nervous about putting into a regular charger, bcs I didn't know if they were compatible.

You could go the other way and buy a good charger, which could very well breathe new life into your old NiMH batteries. I had some old non-LSD NiMH batteries that are much improved after running a refresh cycle with my La Crosse charger. It took the better part of a day to do it, but they work great now.

youtookmyactualname

quality posts: 1 Private Messages youtookmyactualname
gak0090 wrote:With shipping they come in at $22. So basically if you stick with woot you get an additional charger (albeit crappy) and eneloops for an extra $6. After reading the reviews it appears that although they are decent batteries, they aren't as good as eneloops. I rather do the Woot deal.

The AmazonBasics are $16 shipped, and the Woot deal is $23+$5=$28.

wootboy146

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootboy146
Guybrush01 wrote:Wow, these are pricey! Are they worth it?

list price is of $65+ dollars is total BS. The price is decent as you need a special charger. I have about 60 plus of these. I bought a 10 pack with a bonus of two 4 pack battery holders for $19.99 at costco a week ago,no charger. i have a lot of chargers and dont want another .
Be aware .they do not work with some items, since the voltage is 1.2vdc and alkaline are 1.5vdc. 4 batteries 4.8 vs 6vdc. They work well in 95% of items, just beware.
They are the only rechargeable batteries i buy, i mark the date on the battery when purchased, since there are counterfeits out there that do not last the 1500 charges, usually less than 50 charges. I think there are some new ones that are 2200 ma, and they cost more.

fannypack

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fannypack

I use nothing but eneloop batteries and am very happy with their durability and reliability. It's nice to not have to worry about properly disposing of all those single use batteries.

mdyoung216

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mdyoung216
djames42 wrote:FWIW, Costco usually sells a rather large package with a pile of AA and a handful of AAA batteries, the charger, and some adapters that allow you to use these as C and/or Ds (which I've never tried - it seems silly to use a low mhA battery in place of one expected to put out a lot more power).

I used the Eneloops and Eneloop type AA batteries in a "D" adapter that holds two AA batteries. might not last as long as a regular D battery, but last a good while and keep me from buying D batteries.

billlh

3z3vh wrote:Leaving batteries in a charger that has overcharge protection would be more ideal than leaving them in the charger when the charger has no power.

With the charger powered up, it can monitor the batteries, stop charging when they are full, and begin charging if they get low.

Unplugging the charger means that now the batteries are the only thing in the circuit that can supply power. Depending on the design of the charger, this could cause your batteries to lose charge as they attempt to power the circuit they are plugged into. Even a single resistor or capacitor in that circuit could lead to draining your battery, as long as there is a path that completes the circuit.

Actually leaving them in the charger for any length of time after they are fully charged is a bad idea. But then if you are buying this deal and using this charger you really don't give a rats ass about your batteries in the first place and you should probably be just using regular batteries. But I digress, leaving the batteries in accomplishes nothing. These batteries are very low self dis charge. Which means a year from now when you pick them up you will still have 80% of the charge left to use. So why anyone would want to leave them in the charger and risk damaging them is beyond me. But then like I said if you buy these and you don't get a good charger it's a waste anyway.

mdyoung216

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mdyoung216
sniperd wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50/ref=wms_ohs_product

It works awesome, especially with these batteries.

That's one I use. I have two at home. Has a lot of nice features. I have BC-500 at work. I would buy the BC-700 if you are only buying one.

This is a nice battery tester:

http://www.amazon.com/ZTS-Mini-Battery-Tester-MINI-MBT/dp/B0002EH4YO/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1355957783&sr=8-14&keywords=battery+load+tester

zrxbill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zrxbill

You should not leave them in once charged.

Alohamora

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Alohamora

That's what I do with my eneloops and a LaCross charger. I'm cycling batteries through a couple of cameras and hand held GPS devices. I always keep a fully charged set of batteries on standby. The LaCross, being a smart charger, will just keep the batteries on a low trickle charge. I don't think I'd trust the charger that comes with the eneloops to do the same thing.

I just checked the date code on the oldest of my eneloops, they are just over five years old and 1st generation. I've noticed no degradation in their performance.

I'd pick up more of these (ooh, pretty colors!) BUT, when Costco had the ten packs on sale for $16 a couple of weeks ago, I already bought some extras.

Big thumbs up for eneloops and LaCross chargers.

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf

I want sparkly batteries but I can't find anything else to justify the shipping price. I bought 3 4-packs of the kodaks a couple of months ago but I am still looking for a smart charger.

I really appreciate all of the helpful information that has been provided by the wooters on this topic. Thanks !ers!

billlh

Alohamora wrote:That's what I do with my eneloops and a LaCross charger. I'm cycling batteries through a couple of cameras and hand held GPS devices. I always keep a fully charged set of batteries on standby. The LaCross, being a smart charger, will just keep the batteries on a low trickle charge. I don't think I'd trust the charger that comes with the eneloops to do the same thing.

I just checked the date code on the oldest of my eneloops, they are just over five years old and 1st generation. I've noticed no degradation in their performance.

I'd pick up more of these (ooh, pretty colors!) BUT, when Costco had the ten packs on sale for $16 a couple of weeks ago, I already bought some extras.

Big thumbs up for eneloops and LaCross chargers.

It's a bit different if you are using the LaCrosse charger instead of this cheap thing packaged with these batteries. The LaCrosse won't over charge them no matter how long you leave them in because it is an intelligent charger.

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull
spaceturnip wrote:Tip for folks who want to keep their batteries topped off but don't want to leave them in the charger 24/7 (which is bad for them):

Plug the charger into a household timer set to be ON for 1 hour every night.

DO NOT DO THIS. Most smart chargers stop charging based on a Delta V detection... Charging batteries that are already charged can actually cause a charger to over charge them! There is also NO REASON to top off these batteries every night (or even every month), they are low self discharge and are fine just sitting on the shelf until you need them.

Don't charge fully charged batteries, very bad idea.

k1oik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k1oik

I bought batteries and chargers from Woot before, the charger lasted a year the batteries not much longer

http://k1oik.freehostia.com/students/

D300

quality posts: 1 Private Messages D300
Guybrush01 wrote:Wow, these are pricey! Are they worth it?

Worth every penny if they are same we get from Thomas dist. as photographer these work better in a high end flash than 1.5 V mercury

tavi360

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tavi360

list price $60? I bought this in china for like $7 incl batteries, i guess smart companies charge whatever people are willing to pay

D300

Well the whites are here http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Sanyo-Eneloop_c_1020.html
for 19.94$ for 8

D300

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Sanyo-Eneloop_c_1020.html

They are 19.94$ for 8 here