WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Like Music to my Wallet

In this economy, you need to be practical. You don't want to take too many risks. You need to find a stable line of work. LIKE MUSIC! Think about it: everyone loves music, even people who's hopes and dreams have been swallowed up by the recession! So grab one of these instruments and plant your feet on firm ground once more!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

What holiday tunes are you singing today? Also to answer my own question on the sales page - the bongos. Seriously!

I'm just hanging out, really.

jamlech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamlech

I bought two of these last time they came one. Still working great. I have had few that I bought from the music stores and rarely I would be able to fit them just right on the first try. With these, I have yet to fail on the first try.

NavyDallas

quality posts: 7 Private Messages NavyDallas

Are these Kona or Kohala ukuleles?

A genuine original Woot!-istanian.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger
jamlech wrote:I bought two of these last time they came one. Still working great. I have had few that I bought from the music stores and rarely I would be able to fit them just right on the first try. With these, I have yet to fail on the first try.

What are you referring to, the gig bags?

freefall86

quality posts: 4 Private Messages freefall86

Man, even if that violin is garbage that's a great deal!

cptplanet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cptplanet
NavyDallas wrote:Are these Kona or Kohala ukuleles?

I would like to know this too. I just ordered this thinking it was a Kohala Ukulele.

ritz2therubble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ritz2therubble

Any thoughts on the 20' cables? I just broke my 1/4" cable last week and need a replacement.

pbrantner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbrantner

Do the bongos come with Matthew McConaughey?

Paula

rbarger

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rbarger

I purchased the violin for dummies set for my daughter for high school orchestra, and the violin, case, and bow all have held up nicely.

I can recommend this purchase.

Ultimately, if your child sticks with violin you will want to purchase them a nicer instrument, but this instrument is a good starter and is less expensive than rental.

When it arrives I had to install the bridge and also tune it. Keep in mind while tuning to work in small increments. Also, make sure to use the fine tuners as you get close or you may find it is easy to break the strings (this is with any violin).

The rosin that ships with this is okay, but I would invest in some $8 - $12 rosin as it will throw off less dust while being played.

Good luck!

raineesue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raineesue

Really, Woot? REALLY? I had the conversation LAST NIGHT with my roommate about how I'd always wanted to pick up the violin (we were listening to Tchaikovsky, it was topical) and now this happens?

I can't remotely afford to randomly splash out a hundred bucks on ANYTHING right now, I still need to figure out Where's the Fruitcake? about my mom's Christmas gift since they sold out of what I wanted to get her... auuuugh! *cry*

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
ritz2therubble wrote:Any thoughts on the 20' cables? I just broke my 1/4" cable last week and need a replacement.

Kind of easy to figure this one out. $11 + $5 shipping = $16 total and then a week or so waiting for it to get to you. Or, you could run down to you local music store and pick up one for the same or less and have it today. Unless of course you are ordering something else today and have unlocked free shipping it is a no brainer to just go to your local store and get one. Saves all kinds of time and probably money too.

badhobbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badhobbit
raineesue wrote:Really, Woot? REALLY? I had the conversation LAST NIGHT with my roommate about how I'd always wanted to pick up the violin (we were listening to Tchaikovsky, it was topical) and now this happens?

I can't remotely afford to randomly splash out a hundred bucks on ANYTHING right now, I still need to figure out Where's the Fruitcake? about my mom's Christmas gift since they sold out of what I wanted to get her... auuuugh! *cry*

Don't worry, $100 violins are available constantly online. I just got an electric for $75 as my starter. So far so good

jamlech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamlech
DaZoneRanger wrote:What are you referring to, the gig bags?

My apologies. I was referring to the Capos.

bassbeast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bassbeast

The nice thing about the strat and P-Bass knock offs is how easy they are to customize and make your own. just look up "strat pickguard" and you'll find hundreds of pickguards, from 50s sci-fi to art deco, and its really easy to swap them out so a great way to hand somebody a truly nice looking customized guitar for their first to learn on.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cptplanet wrote:I would like to know this too. I just ordered this thinking it was a Kohala Ukulele.

They are Kohala. We fixed the sale to show this.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cptplanet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cptplanet
ThunderThighs wrote:They are Kohala. We fixed the sale to show this.

Thanks! :] Good to know!

kchapley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kchapley

Ok..so kohala it is..more info needed though. Soprano ? Concert? What it be?

redmangreg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redmangreg

Where's the LOVE for the lefties?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

redmangreg wrote:Where's the LOVE for the lefties?

Better?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Woody1

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Woody1

Violin came today and the sound post (critical to a violin) was rattling around on the inside of the violin. It's supposed to be attached to the inside top and inside bottom. It's not.....In fact it's just happily rolling from one end to the other. Makes a nice rattle if you shake the violin but I'm too old for one. Now if it made beer?

Can't be fixed.

Sent email to woot....

Edit: I just found some tools on the Internet to re-set the sound post. I guess this is a common thing since there are many of these tools. Don't own one and music shop want $20 to reset it for me? A bit steep after looking at a youtube video and prices of the tools. The Bridge was missing too, but it may be wrapped up in tissue, got to un-box again to check. This may be why I didn't ever play violin (nor did I even order this, but that's another story)

Edit-Edit: Found the Bridge. It was inside the velvet bag wrapped in tissue. Thought it was trash. Shook the Viola and got the sound peg out. For getting woot hacked, this is becoming a chore but I will say it's a decent package. Too bad it's not all together though.

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Woody1 wrote:Violin came today and the sound post (critical to a violin) was rattling around on the inside of the violin. It's supposed to be attached to the inside top and inside bottom. It's not.....In fact it's just happily rolling from one end to the other. Makes a nice rattle if you shake the violin but I'm too old for one. Now if it made beer?

Can't be fixed.

Sent email to woot....

Edit: I just found some tools on the Internet to re-set the sound post. I guess this is a common thing since there are many of these tools. Don't own one and music shop want $20 to reset it for me? A bit steep after looking at a youtube video and prices of the tools. The Bridge was missing too, but it may be wrapped up in tissue, got to un-box again to check. This may be why I didn't ever play violin (nor did I even order this, but that's another story)

Edit-Edit: Found the Bridge. It was inside the velvet bag wrapped in tissue. Thought it was trash. Shook the Viola and got the sound peg out. For getting woot hacked, this is becoming a chore but I will say it's a decent package. Too bad it's not all together though.

hrm. sorry for all that. it *sounds* like it's resolved now, but if you end up feeling like it's defunct (and not just, uh, quirky), then please email Support@Woot.com or contact M&M wholesale (you've got a 5 year warranty!). insert "no strings attached" joke here.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.