WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

AWHOOOO! Asprey of London!

You know what makes a good watch: numbers. Sure, the blank face looks cool and clean, but time is important. You don't want to have to guesstimate where you are in the day; you want an exact reading. And that's what you get with Asprey watches. Because, man, they have so many friggin' numbers!
Asprey official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Some of these styles look downright lady friendly. Ladies, what do you think?

I'm just hanging out, really.

kmashaney

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kmashaney

They are beautiful. I would love to wear one. $1400 is about $1300 more than I have in my bank account right now though. Maybe someday!

acraigl

quality posts: 38 Private Messages acraigl

Shoulda charged one million dollars for these. Your profit margin would soar and you will sell just as many.

inkycatz

kmashaney wrote:They are beautiful. I would love to wear one. $1400 is about $1300 more than I have in my bank account right now though. Maybe someday!

I hear ya! We can window shop in the meantime, right?

OneComputerKid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages OneComputerKid

They are beautiful, but way too expensive for me.

ssratracer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ssratracer

As much as I hang in watch forums, I have never heard of this brand. It's hard to tell if the chronos have a Valjoux 7750 or Selita knock off, but I would flaunt it in the specs if this were a truly Swiss made item. Price seems a bit much, since one could get a much more popular Hamilton for half the price with a Swiss auto movement.

wenda86

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wenda86
ssratracer wrote:As much as I hang in watch forums, I have never heard of this brand. It's hard to tell if the chronos have a Valjoux 7750 or Selita knock off, but I would flaunt it in the specs if this were a truly Swiss made item. Price seems a bit much, since one could get a much more popular Hamilton for half the price with a Swiss auto movement.

Nope, the chrono has neither. It is ETA based 2894-2 movement. The GMT model is 2893-2 movement.

For the price, still tad too high. The Breitling deal is clearly much better than this.

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

the shipping charge kills this deal. no good.

inkycatz

jamesbottomtooth wrote:the shipping charge kills this deal. no good.

Five bucks? Really?

xyourlocaldjx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xyourlocaldjx
inkycatz wrote:Five bucks? Really?

It was a joke I presume

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
xyourlocaldjx wrote:It was a joke I presume

Some people are fickle on what they spend their money on.

that was fun while it lasted!

fjorner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fjorner
jamesbottomtooth wrote:the shipping charge kills this deal. no good.

Because nothing says the typical Woot crowd like an $1800 watch. lol

Jester747

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jester747

In for three!

(Who needs a 401k if the world's ending?)

bill750

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bill750
ssratracer wrote:As much as I hang in watch forums, I have never heard of this brand. It's hard to tell if the chronos have a Valjoux 7750 or Selita knock off, but I would flaunt it in the specs if this were a truly Swiss made item. Price seems a bit much, since one could get a much more popular Hamilton for half the price with a Swiss auto movement.

I've never heard of this brand either, but a little searching shows that the woot price is substantially below most other online watch dealers' price for a couple of these models. Beyond that, this brand is a mystery to me...

marion14505

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marion14505
bill750 wrote:I've never heard of this brand either, but a little searching shows that the woot price is substantially below most other online watch dealers' price for a couple of these models. Beyond that, this brand is a mystery to me...

Substantially below most other vendors' asking price, it may be. Substantially above even what Jeff Bezos might be willing to pay for a Woot Watch.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
fjorner wrote:Because nothing says the typical Woot crowd like an $1800 watch. lol

I figured they put the decimal point in the wrong place.. Typical woot typo.... ;)

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
fjorner wrote:Because nothing says the typical Woot crowd like an $1800 watch. lol

Lol. I don't mind spending a little more and getting better quality for a product that lasts longer, but these cost more than my mortgage payment. I can't sleep in a watch.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

A limited Woot warranty? Whatever happened to an Asprey warranty considering it is a NEW watch?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
bkarlan wrote:Whatever happened to an Asprey warranty considering it is a NEW watch?

Probably another Woot grey market offering from that shifty-eyed guy at the back of the WootWarehouse.

seattlekleins

quality posts: 8 Private Messages seattlekleins

I'm not sure my arms, etc. are the best thing to show this off optimally. After all, I am a hairy-handed gent.

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf

Asprey is a pretty well known British brand if it is the same Asprey. This is much cheaper than the Cartier I want but these are too large for me. Maybe next time?

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
StanleyS wrote:Probably another Woot grey market offering from that shifty-eyed guy at the back of the WootWarehouse.

I can sell things from my coat too

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf

Okay, I went to their website. I found several things that I would love to have so I would greatly appreciate it if Woot would offer us some equally discounted selections of other types of fine merchandise from Asprey. Please?

gjbloom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjbloom

$1800 for a watch? That you wind? That you have to set?

The watch I wear is accurate to within a second in 32 million years and never needs winding or batteries. I think I paid $50 for it.

So these Ass-spray people offer a functionally inferior watch for which they're demanding an extra $1750 for what? Style?

ericlala

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericlala

I don't see any sales data, I'm guessing no one has bought one yet?

recklessdriver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages recklessdriver

Asprey is a British luxury goods maker ala Hermes/Cartier/Dunhill - very high quality and prices to match. $7500 shearling coats, $5000 cufflinks, $3000 nicknacks for your desk or shelves. Things that nobody really needs...but if you have the money, why not? They've been around since the late 1700s.

I haven't seen these in-person, but assume them to be a superior choice over entry-level watches from other luxury makers at the $2000 point (Louis Vuitton, Gucci).

These probably won't appeal to the Stowa/Oris/Hamilton crowd of substance-over-style, but at $1800 the Aspreys would make a decent-looking beater watch.

http://www.asprey.com/collection/christmas-gifts/for-him/the-cocktail-shaker-black

http://www.asprey.com/collection/silverandhome/frames/enamel-frame-seven-x-five-black

http://www.asprey.com/collection/christmas-gifts/for-home/moneybankcombinationsafesmall

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

I'll stick with my $250 Citizen Eco Drive, thanks.

psywiped

quality posts: 2 Private Messages psywiped

Ok woot the world didn't end, can you move the decimal place over to the left 2 places now?

mgmontgomery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mgmontgomery

Yeah, I think you're gonna need to hold on to these for when you launch rich.woot.com.

jeffandmonica

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica
gjbloom wrote:$1800 for a watch? That you wind? That you have to set?

The watch I wear is accurate to within a second in 32 million years and never needs winding or batteries. I think I paid $50 for it.

Link please.

jonni87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jonni87

Expensive much? Sheesh, my $17 timex that I swim and do everything in works just fine.

Nice watch if you can get it though. But somehow I don't think getting a watch on woot would be my preference for an $1800 watch.

gjbloom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjbloom

bmundt303

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bmundt303
gjbloom wrote:Casio Waveceptor Solar Atomic. There ya go!

U-G-L-Y this watch needs an alibi.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Asprey of Shanghai or London?

Sited says: "Above the store there are silversmiths, jewellers, leatherworkers, engravers and watchmakers all using traditional skills and working alongside brilliant and innovative designers."

Country of origin of the watch and movement?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

Chicago71

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Chicago71

"What time is it?"
"8am"
My cost of that conversation: $95.00.

"What time is it?"
"8am"
My cost of that conversation if I buy one of these: $1700.

My actual conversation with someone if I bought this watch:
"What time is it?"
"Oh, I'm supposed to just tell poor people the time on my $1700 Asprey watch? C'mon!"

(If you haven't seen Arrested Development, it's lost on you.)

"Qui Bono? Who benefits?"
"Qui gives a $#!#"

3z3vh

quality posts: 5 Private Messages 3z3vh
bmundt303 wrote:U-G-L-Y this watch needs an alibi.

I wonder how reliable its connection is to the Atomic clock... did you notice the little sidebar in the specs of that watch ?

"accurate to ±15 seconds per month without atomic signal calibration"

15 seconds per month is fairly significant ;)

bswxc5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bswxc5
Chicago71 wrote:

My actual conversation with someone if I bought this watch:
"What time is it?"
"Oh, I'm supposed to just tell poor people the time on my $1700 Asprey watch? C'mon!"

(If you haven't seen Arrested Development, it's lost on you.)

"Oh, I'm just supposed to tell the time from my $1900 watch to someone who doesn't even make that in a week!"

captainproton

quality posts: 1 Private Messages captainproton

I have $1800 to spend on a watch - no wait, I gotta buy a car HO! HO! HO!

Creeper1313

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Creeper1313

While this brand isn't my cup-o-tea (and I'm apparently not alone), I'm glad Woot is experimenting with watch deals like this and the prior Breitling deal.

And I'm not to bent out of shape about "gray market" as long as I'm sure they are legit (and I think with Woot and their parent Amazon not wanting their reputation tarnished, you can be pretty confident of that).

Rolex, Omega, Breitling, etc all give what is IMO a pretty lousy 2 year warranty for what should be something that will last a lifetime with periodic service (well past the 2 year mark).

Saving over 50% off "authorized distributor" prices (aka $1000's) is an easy trade if you ask me. If the watch makers want to make AD's more attractive, I'd say start at a 10 year warranty.

Also, I get that 20-somethings that probably check time on their cellphones is the core Woot demographic, but I still find all the commenter heartburn over $1000-5000 watches funny. I hope they never stumble across the existence of Rolex, IWC, etc models in the $10k range, or Patek's in the $100k range.