WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

JVC LCD HDTV LOL BRB

Think of these televisions the way Goldilocks thought about beds: one's too big, one's too small, and one's just right. Naturally, it's up to you how you order them. We're not going to get involved with a decision like that.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ROGETRAY wrote:Ornaments Make Festive Garland. Are larger TV's necessarily BETTER? I've always found it odd that once I watch something on a larger 42" television, it becomes harder to watch anything on a 32". Thoughts?

I usually just get tv envy, myself...

I'm just hanging out, really.

Tristicus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tristicus

Reviews on the 42" appear to be good from everywhere. One review mentions the display uses an LG IPS panel - not sure how true that is, but everything sounds favorable towards it. Tempting....

garyw81

quality posts: 1 Private Messages garyw81

Bought the 37" refurb previously from Woot for $25 more. Works perfect, nice bright/clear picture, and decent sound. Only thing limiting this TV is the 2 HDMI ports. It's a perfect set for the bedroom.

check6designs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages check6designs

Hey woot-can we ship the 37" to an APO AE? I see the 42" excludes it, but not the smaller tvs

pbstar081

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbstar081

how come on the 32" one you say its 120hz but yet on the specs you show that its 60hz ???wich one is it

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 135 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

check6designs wrote:Hey woot-can we ship the 37" to an APO AE? I see the 42" excludes it, but not the smaller tvs

I got a similar complaint on my end- I talked to those in charge of such decisions, and it was just a matter of having a check box checked that they shouldn't have.

So, tl;dr: 32" & 37" are now available to ship to military addresses. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Eratosthenes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Eratosthenes
pbstar081 wrote:how come on the 32" one you say its 120hz but yet on the specs you show that its 60hz ???wich one is it

I have this exact TV. It is 60Hz.

Eratosthenes

My review from last time these came up:

I have the 32" model (exact same one) that I bought for $300 new from Amazon back in May of this year. I am very happy with it!

The price was a steal at $300 (and I had to leap on it once one was stocked, as it's constantly out-of-stock on Amazon) and I'm actually tempted to buy a second one at this price for no other reason than to get a second one.

I am a videophile - I have a B.A. in Arts & Technology (specialization in Computer Animation) and I get perfect scores on so-called "Color IQ" tests - and I really do enjoy this screen. Sure, it's not a high-end Samsung LED display, but it is very very nice for the price.

The colors and contrast on this screen are super-rich. I LOVE bright colors and high contrast (I'd plug my art website to prove my point, but I ain't no sellout, yo) but on this TV I generally have to keep fairly moderate color/contrast settings by my standards because this TV's actually TOO effective with them and can easily destroy an otherwise acceptable image if the settings are too extreme. Also, the blacks, even in a dark room and not viewed dead-on, are very rich...especially considering this is not an LED display. One look at the model line's name ("BlackCrystal 3000") and you know that rich blacks were at the top of the dev team's list.

The viewing angle is excellent. Viewing the screen dead-on is ideal, as with any LCD, and the color shift off-center is really quite minimal. Other than that initial shift from perfect in the center, there is effectively zero color/contrast pollution when viewing the screen from ANY angle. I've literally smushed my face up to the side of the bezel to try and sneak a peak at any form of bad viewing angle on this TV and I honestly can't find one.

The sound is incredible for built-in speakers. I have never been a fan of TVs or stations that automatically adjust the volume to be louder in quiet spots and quieter in louder spots (in fact I've almost universally hated it) but this TV seems to do it smoothly and subtly enough that I hardly ever even notice it.

ONE NOTE THOUGH: If you have the fancy faux-surround-sound thingy turned on along with the TruVolume adjustimicator turned on, MAKE SURE you turn down your volume before you click on a menu item on your Wii. The HISSSS/whoosh noise that a Wii makes when it zooms in on the home screen menu is REALLY SUPER LOUD and too short for the TV to auto-adjust itself.

One more thing: I have seen loooots of HDTVs that take forever to turn on...anywhere up to 50 seconds. This TV thankfully comes in at the quick end. The backlight turns on in about a second, there's a very brief JVC logo, and then it goes to its last-used input and loads the feed. Average turn-on time for mine from power button pressed to completely on is about 5-6 seconds (more like 8-10 seconds on HDMI input).

I set out several years ago in search of a Samsung 32" 1080p HDTV for $300 or under. After ages of waiting I decided on this TV as a graduation present for myself, and I am very happy with it.

BrainWav

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BrainWav

I almost jumped on this, but the piddly number of inputs gave me pause. One more Component (and preferably another HDMI), and I'd probably bite, but not like this.

It's still very tempting, as I've been looking for a 1080p LCD to replace my CRT at this size. It seems to be almost impossible to find 1080p at 32".

Eratosthenes

BrainWav wrote:I almost jumped on this, but the piddly number of inputs gave me pause. One more Component (and preferably another HDMI), and I'd probably bite, but not like this.

It's still very tempting, as I've been looking for a 1080p LCD to replace my CRT at this size. It seems to be almost impossible to find 1080p at 32".

For mine, I've been thinking about getting a multi-port HDMI switch so that I can minimize my unplugging and re-plugging.

For me it's my only television, so I have my Blu-Ray player, Wii, stereo receiver, Super Nintendo / N64 / Gamecube (all on coaxial in series), computer, Android phone / tablet, and a second computer plugged into it usually. I'm not using the optical audio out, the component video in, or the RCA audio in, but it's still got a lot of stuff going through it and I'd love to be able to use more HDMI-capable devices on dedicated HDMI ports rather than swapping out or using something older like the D-Sub port.

AfroGT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AfroGT

I bought the the 42" version of this TV over a year ago for my father for $499 new. It's a great TV. The 42" has 4 HDMI inputs, ambient light sensor, USB, 120hz, bright clear picture, can be viewed from wide angles and great sound.

Highly recommend this model.

I may buy the 37" lcd for my bedroom. I have a A/V receiver so I really only need 1 HDMI input on the TV so 2 is plenty.

The 32" isn't bad for $200 either but for $50 more why not go 37"?

These TV's also have optical out & RCA stereo outputs which seems to be lacking from most TV's nowadays.

AfroGT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AfroGT
Eratosthenes wrote:For mine, I've been thinking about getting a multi-port HDMI switch so that I can minimize my unplugging and re-plugging.

For me it's my only television, so I have my Blu-Ray player, Wii, stereo receiver, Super Nintendo / N64 / Gamecube (all on coaxial in series), computer, Android phone / tablet, and a second computer plugged into it usually. I'm not using the optical audio out, the component video in, or the RCA audio in, but it's still got a lot of stuff going through it and I'd love to be able to use more HDMI-capable devices on dedicated HDMI ports rather than swapping out or using something older like the D-Sub port.

Why not get a receiver with the proper number of HDMI ports for your needs? You'll get better sound especially from blu ray and will never have to worry about swapping ports or cables.

phareal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phareal

Whoever wrote this is REALLY funny!

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

phareal wrote:Whoever wrote this is REALLY funny!

Thank you for reading!

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

Eratosthenes

AfroGT wrote:Why not get a receiver with the proper number of HDMI ports for your needs? You'll get better sound especially from blu ray and will never have to worry about swapping ports or cables.

I'm *just* not quite to the point of needing a receiver. It's entirely a bonus monitor for my main computer (it has three HD actual monitors also attached to it already, as well as three more not attached to anything) using the HDMI 2 slot, my other desktop is itself just a bonus (made of parts from past computer builds - called Zombie), the Wii gets the RCA jacks since it can't handle HD, the BD player goes straight into the HDMI 1 slot, the older consoles can all go through the coaxial cable at once just fine, and anything else like my phone/tablet/netbook/etc. can just jump in and take over one of the two HDMI ports. It's once in a blue moon that I need or want to plug any of them into a television.

I also have it wall-mounted with an articulating steel arm that can extend from about two inches to about to feet from the wall, and the cables are all held together with strips of Velcro, so changing cable configuration is pretty easy.

zgriner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zgriner

I'm POed.

I bought the same thing a couple weeks back, but it came cracked. Support told me they had no more and to ship mine back for a refund.

I REALLY would have liked to have gotten this if they knew, or thought they knew, they were getting more later.

JimmyDaGeek

wrek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wrek

Can these be used with a PC via HDMI for gaming?

You're so vain... you probably think this post is about you.. don't you? Don't you? You're so vain!

need4mospd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages need4mospd
wrek wrote:Can these be used with a PC via HDMI for gaming?

It'll work no different than an xbox hooked up to it, so yeah.
It's got gaming mode too, which should decrease input lag.

Eratosthenes

wrek wrote:Can these be used with a PC via HDMI for gaming?

Most definitely. It also has an actual D-Sub (VGA) computer port as well (and a 3.5mm audio jack specifically to accompany it, so you don't miss out on the audio). My computer games look astounding on this TV. I have a really nice primary monitor, but since I try to keep it calibrated, the colors and contrast aren't ever more than they're supposed to be. On this TV, though, everything really pops when you let it do its thing.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Read the most recent reviews om Amazon and it should explain why there are so many refurbs available.

amackii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amackii
inkycatz wrote:I usually just get tv envy, myself...

alipps1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alipps1

All should know these aren't made by JVC. It seems that Amtran, the company that makes most of the sets for Vizio had extra production capacity and went looking for a name brand tag to buy. JVC was getting out of the TV biz, so there you go. Inside, this set is essentially a Vizio with a LG LCD panel (Vizio also uses LG panels). As a TV tech, I'm not a big fan of LG or Vizio, but I posted this in the interest of full disclosure.

Eratosthenes

alipps1 wrote:All should know these aren't made by JVC. It seems that Amtran, the company that makes most of the sets for Vizio had extra production capacity and went looking for a name brand tag to buy. JVC was getting out of the TV biz, so there you go. Inside, this set is essentially a Vizio with a LG LCD panel (Vizio also uses LG panels). As a TV tech, I'm not a big fan of LG or Vizio, but I posted this in the interest of full disclosure.

Why does mine looks so much (gobs and gob) better than the Vizios my friends have? Some of them are much more expensive models than what I paid for my JVC (new), too.

alipps1

Eratosthenes wrote:Why does mine looks so much (gobs and gob) better than the Vizios my friends have? Some of them are much more expensive models than what I paid for my JVC (new), too.

I wouldn't know why your set looks "gobs" better, unless your friends
1) have their TV's set up wrong or poorly (picture settings off)
2) they have CCFL backlit sets compared to your LED backlit (or edge Lit)
3) your set has the new "gobs better" circuitry
Either way, there are IDENTICAL TV's being sold, some with Vizio badges and some with JVC badges. And there are even some LG sets using Amtran components.

alipps1

FYI:
http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/07/jvc-brand-hdtvs-are-now-from-amtran.html

http://hdguru.com/an-hdtv-by-another-name/5657/

ramsessalmeron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ramsessalmeron

Ordered it yesterday got it today! Tv looks good and is working perfectly. The only problem is the remote control it came with doesnt work. Who should I contact about replacing it or am I SOL?

ak1803

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ak1803

I have a concern: The orange in the bowl underneath the TV in the picture is severely dented in, is that any way to treat your models, woot!?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ak1803 wrote:I have a concern: The orange in the bowl underneath the TV in the picture is severely dented in, is that any way to treat your models, woot!?

Good eyes.

That's called a lifestyle photo and we usually get those directly from our vendors. We shall let them know that you are unhappy with their orange brutality.

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ak1803

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ak1803
ThunderThighs wrote:Good eyes.

That's called a lifestyle photo and we usually get those directly from our vendors. We shall let them know that you are unhappy with their orange brutality.

Thank you. Domestic fruit abuse is wrong, and if we don't stand up for them, who will?

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

Depends on how far away I sit. I use 32" and 42" sets as computer monitors and both look great.

inkycatz wrote:I usually just get tv envy, myself...

txspazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages txspazz

I got the 42 last month on woot. Bought as a Christmas gift for my wife but wisely plugged it in to check it out first. I found one of the speakers was blown. The customer service folks for the warranty did take care of it but it was a pain. Apparently homes in India don't have attics because they wanted to hear the blown speaker (over the crappy phone line) and didn't understand why I couldn't turn it on for them to hear after I repeatedly explained to them that it was put away in the box in the attic.
The process took over two weeks so luckily it wasn't a TV I was using and they sent a guy to the house with new speakers and a new main board.
They did take care of it but I don't see how they could have missed a blown speaker when they refurbished it.

darkjedi23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkjedi23
BrainWav wrote:I almost jumped on this, but the piddly number of inputs gave me pause. One more Component (and preferably another HDMI), and I'd probably bite, but not like this.

Buy a receiver