WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Batteries. Lots Of 'Em.

Listen, we've got like 2,000,000,000 batteries over here. So maybe you don't think you need 72 AAAs, but just grab some anyway. Give some to your niece. Use them as a ballast in your vessel. We don't care what you do with them, but please: Take some off our hands.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Gatzby wrote:What's the biggest battery hog you own?
I'm just hanging out, really.

fxp2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fxp2

If you add in the cost of shipping to this offer you can get name the same price on Amazon. I just bought 4-9 volt Energizer's for regular price under $11 versus $7+$5 shipping. Just saying this is supposed to be such a great offer?

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt
fxp2 wrote:If you add in the cost of shipping to this offer you can get name the same price on Amazon. I just bought 4-9 volt Energizer's for regular price under $11 versus $7+$5 shipping. Just saying this is supposed to be such a great offer?

Buy something else and then you will have free shiping. This is Woot Plus so some of the deals are only really good once you have already unlocked free shipping.

bleatzor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bleatzor
wisenekt wrote:Buy something else and then you will have free shiping. This is Woot Plus so some of the deals are only really good once you have already unlocked free shipping.

So instead of spending $5, you want people to spend the $5, plus the cost of another item to "save" on shipping?

Oye, you sound like my mom after she would come home with bags of stuff we didn't need and tell us how much money she "saved" that day.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
wisenekt wrote:Buy something else and then you will have free shiping. This is Woot Plus so some of the deals are only really good once you have already unlocked free shipping.

Speaking truth here, doubly so during a woot-off!

I'm just hanging out, really.

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt
bleatzor wrote:So instead of spending $5, you want people to spend the $5, plus the cost of another item to "save" on shipping?

Oye, you sound like my mom after she would come home with bags of stuff we didn't need and tell us how much money she "saved" that day.

It's a Woot-Off, I'm sure you can find another item to buy. If you really want cost savings, I would recommend the PowerBalance Wristbands, those are highly marked down!

lfgrover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lfgrover

iGo batteries: does anyone have the spec on what the mAh capacity is for these units?

bmkclemens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmkclemens

DO NOT re-charge the iGO batteries in any charger other than the one that comes with it. They will explode. It explains this clearly on the box, but I didn't bother to tell my wife and BOOM!

xyphox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xyphox
fxp2 wrote:If you add in the cost of shipping to this offer you can get name the same price on Amazon. I just bought 4-9 volt Energizer's for regular price under $11 versus $7+$5 shipping. Just saying this is supposed to be such a great offer?

Even with free shipping that's not a good deal. Saving just over $3 and getting AC Delco instead of Energizer or Duracell is not a good deal.

The rest of the deals are alright though. I just don't have anything that those crappy batteries would be good for, except my garage door opener. I don't really need a 100 year supply of batteries for that.

bargain junk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargain junk

are they made in China ???

neovenator

quality posts: 9 Private Messages neovenator

Any of you folks know if storing batteries in the freezer is a good idea? That is, does freezer storage help the batteries retain their charge longer before being used?

tesmith86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tesmith86
neovenator wrote:Any of you folks know if storing batteries in the freezer is a good idea? That is, does freezer storage help the batteries retain their charge longer before being used?

It does the opposite actually from what I recall reading.

mike11212

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mike11212

DO NOT BUY THE AC DELCOS THEY ARE HORRIBLE>

I woot you

azphotog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azphotog
tesmith86 wrote:It does the opposite actually from what I recall reading.

Actually it does extend the life of batteries, but Alkalines already have such a good shelf life that it is not worth it. A typical alkaline will loose about 2% a year if stored at "room Temp" and about 5% if stored at 85 degrees and 25% if stored at 100 degrees. So if you store your batteries in a hot place it might make sense to put them in the fridge.

onic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages onic

phileoca

quality posts: 9 Private Messages phileoca
mike11212 wrote:DO NOT BUY THE AC DELCOS THEY ARE HORRIBLE>

They are only horrible for devices that use lots of energy:
Kids toys that dance and sing.
Gadgets

But for devices that don't, they're fine. LED lights, remote controls, keyboards.

I bought a 3 pack last time and still have some, but for my high energy devices, I'll stick with Duracel

My wife woots too

Bowhunters

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Bowhunters

It does no better to freeze a battery than it does to keep them in a (cool dry place) which is what manufacturers recommend. These Alkalines, etc. have (use by dates) on them and all these type batteries start losing power by that date regardless if you freeze them or not.

tavelkyosoba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tavelkyosoba
azphotog wrote:Actually it does extend the life of batteries, but Alkalines already have such a good shelf life that it is not worth it. A typical alkaline will loose about 2% a year if stored at "room Temp" and about 5% if stored at 85 degrees and 25% if stored at 100 degrees. So if you store your batteries in a hot place it might make sense to put them in the fridge.

From Energizers data sheet
"Storage in a refrigerator or freezer is not required or recommended for batteries produced today. Cold temperature storage can in fact harm batteries if condensation results in corroded contacts or label or seal damage due to extreme temperature storage. To maximize performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room temperatures (68°F to 78°F or 20°C to 25°C) with moderated humidity levels (35 to 65% RH)."

Do not store batteries in the freezer.

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster
phileoca wrote:But for devices that don't, they're fine. LED lights, remote controls, keyboards.

So, they would work fine for the LED flashlights that woot is selling, 2 of which I now own?

Also, anyone see a difference with the AC Delco vs Panasonic vs Kodak?

thomasterrible

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thomasterrible
lfgrover wrote:iGo batteries: does anyone have the spec on what the mAh capacity is for these units?

I have some of the AA's and they are 2000 mAh. The same deal is available on Amazon for the Igo kit. It is 22.95 with free shipping so it is less when the $5 shipping for Woot is added unless you are buying multiple Woot deals it is cheaper to just buy them from Amazon.

silalus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages silalus

I use eneloop AA's in my Pentax k-r dslr and I love them. (The k-r is nifty in that it can use dedicated power packs or AA's with an adapter.) They last about twice as long as non-rechargeable alkaline AA's in that device and (with 4 in the adapter) longer than both the manufacturer and aftermarket power packs I own. The only thing that lasts longer than them are the various non-rechargeable ultra-premium lithium batteries, but even with them the eneloop's come very close. (And are literally hundreds of times the value...)

I just wish Woot would offer some without the charger included. I don't need another charger so I've had to pass on all the eneloop deals recently.

slowpoke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slowpoke
thomasterrible wrote:The same deal is available on Amazon for the Igo kit. It is 22.95 with free shipping so it is less when the $5 shipping for Woot is added unless you are buying multiple Woot deals it is cheaper to just buy them from Amazon.

Please provide a link or more information, as the only iGo kit currently on amazon is the charger with 4 "AA" and 4 "AAA" for $22.99. Woot's deal has 12 AA, making it a good deal for $2 more, shipped.

thomasterrible

slowpoke wrote:Please provide a link or more information, as the only iGo kit currently on amazon is the charger with 4 "AA" and 4 "AAA" for $22.99. Woot's deal has 12 AA, making it a good deal for $2 more, shipped.

This would be them..
http://www.amazon.com/iGo-Family-Style-8-Position-Charger-Batteries/dp/B005625NFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356920073&sr=8-1&keywords=igo+battery+charger+with+12+aa

Note I did buy some of the Igo AA batteries with chargers here at Woot that I thought were a good deal and having lots of these AA batteries plus at least the 4 AAA batteries as well as this 8 position charger along with the two 4 position charger I already have it going to allow me to not have to purchase any batteries for a long time. I have a lot of electronics that these work well in. Remotes included. They seem to last longer than non rechargeable alkaline batteries and once I charge them having the ability to store them for a long time until needed is pretty cool too. It also helps separate which batteries belong to me. Since the chargers are dual mode they are even more useful if one has other types of rechargeable batteries, which I do.
So I like the battery set, just think that it is a better buy for me from Amazon. In addition there is no sales tax charged from Amazon while there is here and I live in Wa state.

slowpoke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slowpoke
thomasterrible wrote:This would be them.... [snip]
So I like the battery set, just think that it is a better buy for me from Amazon.

That's the set I also found, but do you see that it's not identical? Woot's set has 12 AA for $25 shipped. Amazon has 4 AA for $23 shipped.

Thanks for the confirmation on the product - I'm pulling the trigger here for the extra AAs.

thomasterrible

slowpoke wrote:That's the set I also found, but do you see that it's not identical? Woot's set has 12 AA for $25 shipped. Amazon has 4 AA for $23 shipped.

Thanks for the confirmation on the product - I'm pulling the trigger here for the extra AAs.

Oh,yup either I read it wrong or it changed when this deal came up. I would pay the extra few bucks for 4 extra AA's too. Thanks for the clarification. I might get the Woot deal too, primarily since I don't have any of the AAA batteries and like the 8 place charger. And you said you were slow...

thomasterrible

Has anyone seen any deals on rechargeable D cell batteries and/or chargers? I have an Altec Lansing boombox that takes 8 D cells and eats them up fast when on battery power, especially when cranked up. I would rather not buy regular D batteries as I think it would both be more expensive in the end and of course be adding a lot of battery waste to the environment. The long shelf life of batteries like this would be good for me as I don't use that often but don't want to find it needing new batteries or the ones in it being charged when I do. Thanks for anyone's help. TT

heiroglyphica

quality posts: 2 Private Messages heiroglyphica
thomasterrible wrote:Has anyone seen any deals on rechargeable D cell batteries and/or chargers? I have an Altec Lansing boombox that takes 8 D cells and eats them up fast when on battery power, especially when cranked up. I would rather not buy regular D batteries as I think it would both be more expensive in the end and of course be adding a lot of battery waste to the environment. The long shelf life of batteries like this would be good for me as I don't use that often but don't want to find it needing new batteries or the ones in it being charged when I do. Thanks for anyone's help. TT

I don't know of any rechargeable D-cells, but eneloop makes adapters for their batteries, so that you can use an AA in devices that require C or D batteries.

Here's an 8-pack of the D adapters for $19:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Spacer-Pack-Packaging/dp/B0035TMJGQ

or you can buy sets of two AA batteries with adapters for $10 here:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B004UAG77G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356928914&sr=8-1&keywords=eneloop+spacer+pack+d

thomasterrible

heiroglyphica wrote:I don't know of any rechargeable D-cells, but eneloop makes adapters for their batteries, so that you can use an AA in devices that require C or D batteries.

Here's an 8-pack of the D adapters for $19:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Spacer-Pack-Packaging/dp/B0035TMJGQ

or you can buy sets of two AA batteries with adapters for $10 here:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B004UAG77G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356928914&sr=8-1&keywords=eneloop+spacer+pack+d

Ok I will check it out. Amazon has D cell rechargeable but they are a buck a piece for just batts. I did find this one day deal for NiMh batts and charger for 10 bucks
http://1saleaday.com/wireless/?utm_campaign=1773438&utm_content=6385245301&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Emailvision

breezy287

quality posts: 0 Private Messages breezy287

Can I recharge any brand rechargeable batteries or just the brand shown.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 538 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

breezy287 wrote:Can I recharge any brand rechargeable batteries or just the brand shown.

They'll both work with any brand of rechargeable batteries.

◄••• Click