WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Monkey Bars Garage Storage System

Look, stacking all your junk on top of itself is a fool's errand. We both know you're going to forget to label the most important box anyways, and you're almost definitely going to stack the bowling ball box on top of the old family china box. Or, you could get some Monkey Bars and suspend all your crap from walls and ceilings. Just like a monkey.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Monkeys not included. Are you redoing your storage for the new year?

I'm just hanging out, really.

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 17 Private Messages DaveInSoCal

I am confused. What configuration of these parts will enable me to best store my garages?

mykie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mykie

"...because if anything ever falls of it..."

I think you accidentally a word.

monkeybarstorage

quality posts: 3 Private Messages monkeybarstorage
DaveInSoCal wrote:I am confused. What configuration of these parts will enable me to best store my garages?

Each Shelf Kit is 4 feet wide. You can create a wider shelf by adding the Extension Kit(s). Each kit comes with one Monkey Bar. We recommend you use four hooks on each bar. You can have additional Monkey Bars on each section for a layered storage system. You can watch the Product Video for more details. It is found on each product page at the bottom of the features tab.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
monkeybarstorage wrote:Each Shelf Kit is 4 feet wide. You can create a wider shelf by adding the Extension Kit(s). Each kit comes with one Monkey Bar. We recommend you use four hooks on each bar. You can have additional Monkey Bars on each section for a layered storage system. You can watch the Product Video for more details. It is found on each product page at the bottom of the features tab.

Hi! We always love it when our company reps jump in, so feel free to introduce yourself.

I'm just hanging out, really.

nihil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nihil

I wouldn't recommend hanging your bicycle by the tires on the hook like that picture unless you like your bicycle rims permanently warped. We had a bike store employee who'd been in the business over two decades tell us about how they got a bike in for repair and it had a wobble that stumped the repair people until the bike's owner said he had stored it hanging by the rim in the garage. Sure enough there was just enough of a dent to cause the whole bike to be off kilter. In fact the store employee said don't hang it up at all, even by the frame, but YMMV.

monkeybarstorage

inkycatz wrote:Hi! We always love it when our company reps jump in, so feel free to introduce yourself.

My name is Dave and I work for Monkey Bar Storage. We are excited for the opportunity to be on Woot and I will be monitoring the comments to answer any questions you might have.

jgiannon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgiannon

What comes in the "kit" for $149? Is it really only one shelf?

monkeybarstorage

jgiannon wrote:What comes in the "kit" for $149? Is it really only one shelf?

It comes with one Shelf and one Monkey Bar. It has a 1,000 lb weight capacity. It's a great value compared to cabinets, which will cost you 2-3X more. The layered storage of these shelves allow you to store long term items up high, and more frequently used items at eye level. Getting everything off the ground creates valuable floor space. You can watch the Product Video for more details. It is found on each product page at the bottom of the features tab.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

I miss the monkey bars of my youth... *sigh*

------------------
I Bet on Sky

mojospapi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mojospapi

6 screws hold 1,000 + pounds? What type of hardware is included? I'm new to DIY garage storage.

rowfam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowfam

I was looking for the video & can't seem to find it. Can you provide a link to it? also, What exactly does the extension shelf do? Make it longer or wider?

mavsman13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mavsman13
rowfam wrote:I was looking for the video & can't seem to find it. Can you provide a link to it? also, What exactly does the extension shelf do? Make it longer or wider?

extension makes it longer across the wall not wider.

jgardner240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgardner240
mojospapi wrote:6 screws hold 1,000 + pounds? What type of hardware is included? I'm new to DIY garage storage.

The screws are 3-inch long lag bolts and must be installed into the wall studs. Makes for a very stout/sturdy design.

I've just finished installing two shelves in my garage and once I saw this Woot sale, I decided to order enough for the other two walls.

variousred

quality posts: 0 Private Messages variousred
DaveInSoCal wrote:I am confused. What configuration of these parts will enable me to best store my garages?

Haha, good one

monkeybarstorage

mojospapi wrote:6 screws hold 1,000 + pounds? What type of hardware is included? I'm new to DIY garage storage.

3" x 3/8" Lag Bolts. This has been tested many times here at headquarters and it is backed by a lifetime warranty.

monkeybarstorage

rowfam wrote:I was looking for the video & can't seem to find it. Can you provide a link to it? also, What exactly does the extension shelf do? Make it longer or wider?

The video is on the bottom of each product page in the "features tab" the phrase it is in is "View product video here"

The Extension comes with one bracket so it adds onto the Shelf Kit to make a longer shelf. So instead of a 4' shelf you now have an 8' shelf.

jon98gn

quality posts: 20 Private Messages jon98gn

What is the max weight tolerance on the J hook? I know it mentions it can hold golf bag handles, but I just want to be sure. I already had one cart boy drop my bag, I'd prefer not to have my fairway wood shaft snapped and my forged blades dinged again.

rjstanford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjstanford
monkeybarstorage wrote:
The Extension comes with one bracket so it adds onto the Shelf Kit to make a longer shelf. So instead of a 4" shelf you now have an 8" shelf.

Tempting. If only it was about 12 times as long. Four inches for over $100 just doesn't seem like great value for money these days.

monkeybarstorage

rjstanford wrote:Tempting. If only it was about 12 times as long. Four inches for over $100 just doesn't seem like great value for money these days.

Sorry about the typo. It's 4 feet and 8 feet, not inches. So the extension will give you an additional 4 feet of shelving. Feel free to watch the Product Video for more details. It is found on each product page at the bottom of the features tab.

monkeybarstorage

jon98gn wrote:What is the max weight tolerance on the J hook? I know it mentions it can hold golf bag handles, but I just want to be sure. I already had one cart boy drop my bag, I'd prefer not to have my fairway wood shaft snapped and my forged blades dinged again.

Definitely want to keep the clubs in great shape. The J hook will easily hold a golf bag. It's rated for up to 100 lbs.

adamant628

quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628

I can see the value of having the ability to use multiple bars for layering. If I were in the market for garage shelving, I would highly consider this. First I need a garage, though.

The video makes it sound like you can put 1000lbs of stuff above the shelves AND whatever you can fit to hang under the shelf. I would have assumed that the 1000lb limit includes items hanging and resting from the shelf.

adamant628

quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628
adamant628 wrote:I can see the value of having the ability to use multiple bars for layering. If I were in the market for garage shelving, I would highly consider this. First I need a garage, though.

The video makes it sound like you can put 1000lbs of stuff above the shelves AND whatever you can fit to hang under the shelf. I would have assumed that the 1000lb limit includes items hanging and resting from the shelf.

Also, shouldn't each additional shelf extension provide only 500lb of extra capacity since you are only adding one extra bracket?

monkeybarstorage

adamant628 wrote:I can see the value of having the ability to use multiple bars for layering. If I were in the market for garage shelving, I would highly consider this. First I need a garage, though.

The 1,000 lb rating is just for the shelf. Below the shelf can handle an additional 200 lbs per bar.

monkeybarstorage

adamant628 wrote:Also, shouldn't each additional shelf extension provide only 500lb of extra capacity since you are only adding one extra bracket?

Each additional 4 ft section can hold 1,000 pounds. So 1,000 lbs for every 4 feet of shelving.

rowman25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowman25

CAn it be installed upside down? IE with the supports above the shelf instead of below? I am hoping to hang a surfboard below and have more headroom.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
monkeybarstorage wrote:3" x 3/8" Lag Bolts. This has been tested many times here at headquarters and it is backed by a lifetime warranty.

OK, this "warranty" covers the Monkeybars, or the Ferrari that just had 800 pounds of bowling balls dropped on it, when the studs gave out?

steve

mblock66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mblock66

Wait so for $149 all I get is the shelf. I need to spend upwards of $200 to get the hooks and more bars just to get started?

The rubbermaid fast track system can be had for under $100 with lots and lots of hooks. Add a shelving unit for $40 and you are all in for $140 without a Woot discount

timmalia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timmalia

My first thought was.... Geez, that's a pretty steep price for shelves... Doesn't feel like Woot. My second thought was .... Well, pretty rugged and they are 2' deep, and I could use them in the garage and could get 36' total... Not cheap, but might be good.
My third thought, which came after trying to buy them was actually a realization that Woot killed the deal - when it says 5$ for all you order for shipping, it's a stretch... You can only order three of any one thing, AND.... You can't place one order for everything you want to buy... Only one part number per order... So I'd be making like 6 or 8 orders. Made me say no...

misrymonky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages misrymonky
timmalia wrote:My first thought was.... Geez, that's a pretty steep price for shelves... Doesn't feel like Woot. My second thought was .... Well, pretty rugged and they are 2' deep, and I could use them in the garage and could get 36' total... Not cheap, but might be good.
My third thought, which came after trying to buy them was actually a realization that Woot killed the deal - when it says 5$ for all you order for shipping, it's a stretch... You can only order three of any one thing, AND.... You can't place one order for everything you want to buy... Only one part number per order... So I'd be making like 6 or 8 orders. Made me say no...

The $5 all you order shipping is for your first order of the day. As long as you place all your orders on the same day, there will be no additional $5 charge for shipping. While it can be annoying to place multiple orders, I love pressing that big yellow button over and over again! lol

I watched the videos and still have a question about how the expansion works. Do you only need one main shelf unit per wall and then can add as many expansions as you want? IN the videos, I did not see any expansion units that had that one white bracket on the side. Is that bracket not needed when the shelf is expanded with the kit? Or is that white bracket just a figment of my imagination and not really there?

Thanks!

CactusJak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CactusJak
misrymonky wrote:I watched the videos and still have a question about how the expansion works. Do you only need one main shelf unit per wall and then can add as many expansions as you want? IN the videos, I did not see any expansion units that had that one white bracket on the side. Is that bracket not needed when the shelf is expanded with the kit? Or is that white bracket just a figment of my imagination and not really there?

Thanks!

It looks like you install 1 main shelf unit and it comes with 2 brackets. Those brackets are screwed into the wall studs. The expansion shelf comes with 1 more bracket which connects to your main shelf on one side, and the 1 bracket screws into another stud.

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 28 Private Messages skispeakeasy

Are these made in the USA?

Done and done! ;)

monkeybarstorage

rowman25 wrote:CAn it be installed upside down? IE with the supports above the shelf instead of below? I am hoping to hang a surfboard below and have more headroom.

We have a surfboard rack on our website. We also have inverted shelves that do exactly what you need but the Grid Shelves can't be inverted.

monkeybarstorage

skou wrote:OK, this "warranty" covers the Monkeybars, or the Ferrari that just had 800 pounds of bowling balls dropped on it, when the studs gave out?

steve

In our 11 years of business we have never had to replace an item due to warranty. Our shelves are engineered to hold more than 1,000 lbs.

monkeybarstorage

mblock66 wrote:Wait so for $149 all I get is the shelf. I need to spend upwards of $200 to get the hooks and more bars just to get started?

The rubbermaid fast track system can be had for under $100 with lots and lots of hooks. Add a shelving unit for $40 and you are all in for $140 without a Woot discount

We can store 3 x as much as the fast track product at the same price, we also offer a lifetime warranty and we can do it in a smaller amount of space than any system on the market. If you have a chance to watch the video that is on each of the product pages, you will see some of the differences from other systems. Other systems spread things flat all over the wall, while the Monkey Bar System creates layers of storage. The sturdy shelf above helps you reclaim valuable floor space that cabinets or items used once a year take up. The Monkey Bars hold frequently used items on a variety of hooks and accessories.

monkeybarstorage

misrymonky wrote:The $5 all you order shipping is for your first order of the day. As long as you place all your orders on the same day, there will be no additional $5 charge for shipping. While it can be annoying to place multiple orders, I love pressing that big yellow button over and over again! lol

I watched the videos and still have a question about how the expansion works. Do you only need one main shelf unit per wall and then can add as many expansions as you want? IN the videos, I did not see any expansion units that had that one white bracket on the side. Is that bracket not needed when the shelf is expanded with the kit? Or is that white bracket just a figment of my imagination and not really there?

Thanks!

First assumption is correct. You need one Shelf Kit per wall and then you add as many Expansion Kits as you want. The white/shaded bracket is portraying that there isn't a bracket there. So each Expansion Kit comes with one bracket. Just to compare to other ways of organizing, you can do a 24' wall with Monkey Bars for $1000 where 24' of cabinets will cost about $4000. So we can store 3 x as much at a fraction of the price.

monkeybarstorage

CactusJak wrote:It looks like you install 1 main shelf unit and it comes with 2 brackets. Those brackets are screwed into the wall studs. The expansion shelf comes with 1 more bracket which connects to your main shelf on one side, and the 1 bracket screws into another stud.

That's correct. Thanks!

monkeybarstorage

skispeakeasy wrote:Are these made in the USA?

Some of it is made at our headquarters in Idaho and some is outsourced.

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

When I try to view the video on my iPad all I get is a blank frame. Is it a flash video?