WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Samsung 3D Blu-ray Player with Apps

Speed to First Woot:
1m 33.003s
First Sucker:
stevenburna
Last Wooter to Woot:
sdc100
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 47% of Woot.com Woots
Top 20% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 31% of Woot.com Woots
Top 26% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 8% first woot
  • 4% second woot
  • 27% < 10 woots
  • 25% < 25 woots
  • 36% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 6% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 9% one year old
  • 82% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 96% bought 1
  • 3% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
17%
83%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


wootalyzer


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung 3D Blu-ray Player with Apps
$59.99 + $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff


It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time.

It's what's for dinner.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

notblueclk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages notblueclk

Ugh! This seems expensive ... we'll be here a while!

Nechushtan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nechushtan

awesome reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-EM59C-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B007X4KN94

maybe for $20...

sergrodz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sergrodz

...At least the lenovo is gone.

notblueclk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages notblueclk

The one bought in FL didn't dent the % ... they have a boatload of these!

sgpresto


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sgpresto
notblueclk wrote:The one bought in FL didn't dent the % ... they have a boatload of these!



That's what it looked like with the Lenovo...then poof! they were gone.

lifesabeach


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lifesabeach

IN order to watch 3d movies do you have to have both a 3d blue ray player and a 3d tv?

stevenburna


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenburna
lifesabeach wrote:IN order to watch 3d movies do you have to have both a 3d blue ray player and a 3d tv?



You can watch 3D movies, but they won't be 3D without the 3D TV.

Patrsnw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patrsnw
Nechushtan wrote:awesome reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-EM59C-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B007X4KN94

maybe for $20...



Awesome reviews? It got two stars (out of five). Granted, I didn't read any of them. And of course I just ordered a new DVD player from Amazon this morning else I'd look at this were it not refurbished - and two stars.

derekggreene


quality posts: 1 Private Messages derekggreene
lifesabeach wrote:IN order to watch 3d movies do you have to have both a 3d blue ray player and a 3d tv?



You must have a 3D TV to view 3D movies from the player. Either that, or just keep hitting the "Eject Button" with your face sitting 5 inches away. It's like it's coming right at you!

mitchloft


quality posts: 5 Private Messages mitchloft

Wow - these are selling like hotcakes ...... made out of mud.

Those who are always quoting others have nothing to say themselves - Mitch Loftus

shanebaker


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shanebaker

I am going to give this a shot. It was $179 new, and since this is refurbished I would presume that they have reflashed the unit and resolved whatever shortcomings it had when it was returned.

It will go great with my 46" Coby 3D LCD TV I bought yesterday!

100+ Woots and countin'!

sdc100


quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

Terrible Amazon reviews, 2 out of 5 stars from 17 users. Apparently, it locks up quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-EM59C-Blu-ray-Player/product-reviews/B007X4KN94/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

shinyM


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shinyM

Bought one of these on a previous Woot -- I believe for the same price. It's not elegant, but it does exactly what it should do: play Blu-Ray discs, most video files off of USB or network connections, and stream video off of the free apps you can get from Samsung.

I use it mostly for Netflix, YouTube and streaming video from my network. I'd suggest setting aside Samsung's "AllShare" media server service for the PC and using the independent (and free) "Serviio" instead.

All in all -- the device is a bit clunky in execution, but it certainly works well enough.

danbenn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages danbenn
Patrsnw wrote:Awesome reviews? It got two stars (out of five). Granted, I didn't read any of them. And of course I just ordered a new DVD player from Amazon this morning else I'd look at this were it not refurbished - and two stars.



You clearly have a PHD in sarcasm. The $20 comment didn't give it away?

daefaroth


quality posts: 3 Private Messages daefaroth
sdc100 wrote: Apparently, it locks up quite a bit.



Which is probably why these are refurbed. Which amusingly means that these may be more stable than a new one.

ageage79


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ageage79

Would this play Slingbox content?

TheWidup


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheWidup

Most people are barking about the apps being crap or the browser being useless. I'm debating this for just the 3D aspect as I could care less about the other features...though it is a woot off so I don't know if I can debate this much longer

ggraham3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ggraham3

Does anyone know if this will play files directly from a thumb drive in the USB port?

broderya


quality posts: 17 Private Messages broderya

Assume this has no internal storage capacity for stuff like BD-Live and that's handled via USB (external)?

Polishemt


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Polishemt

Don't use this as your main web browser and it will be awesome.

lifesabeach


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lifesabeach
stevenburna wrote:You can watch 3D movies, but they won't be 3D without the 3D TV.



but if you have a 3d tv do you have to get a 3d blure ray player as well??

shanebaker


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shanebaker
lifesabeach wrote:but if you have a 3d tv do you have to get a 3d blure ray player as well??



No. You do not need a 3D blu-ray player unless you want to view 3D content. If you want to use 3D content, you need both a 3D TV and a 3D blu-ray player.

100+ Woots and countin'!

Patrsnw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patrsnw
danbenn wrote:You clearly have a PHD in sarcasm. The $20 comment didn't give it away?



Actually, I totally missed it. And no PhD - just an MS.

I may be at work today but that doesn't mean that I'm awake.

shanebaker


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shanebaker
broderya wrote:Assume this has no internal storage capacity for stuff like BD-Live and that's handled via USB (external)?



Based on what I was reading, this is the case.

100+ Woots and countin'!

GreenAccord


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GreenAccord

Ever get the feeling that woot has this cabal of product buyers who line up various wares for the upcoming wootoffs...

Then, as each item comes up in the queue, the associated buyer who lined up the item anxiously watches as the sales specs start rolling in...

And there they sit, on 475 re furb 3D blu-ray players, watching as they sell at the blistering rate of one every 47 seconds. They quickly do the math on the sales rate...

"Ugh, 6 hours to sell out?"

As they sit at their cubicle, they receive a call from an office extension they recognize. 'Dangit, that's the Marketing Manager'

'Debbie, whats up with these Samsubg Blu-rays?'

'I don't know, Mr. Samuels. They're 3D!. I could've swore these sold at top-10% rates when we had them on in the summer.'

'Yeah, I'm looking at the specs. That was a non-3D Samsung, and it was under the $30 price point.'

(awkward silence)

'Well, looks like we'll have to minimize this one and kill it at 25 units. Would that keep this one under an hour?'

'I think so.'

'Deb, see me on Monday.'

'But I was supposed to have Monday off. OK, I'll be in.'

lifesabeach


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lifesabeach

Thank you all I understand that I must have a 3d tv to play 3d movies. My question is if I have a 3d tv is it neccessary to also purchase a 3d blue ray player in order to view in 3D
?

derekggreene


quality posts: 1 Private Messages derekggreene
shanebaker wrote:No. You do not need a 3D blu-ray player unless you want to view 3D content. If you want to use 3D content, you need both a 3D TV and a 3D blu-ray player.



Actually, some cable companies provide 3D content, such as channels and pay-per-view (on Demand) movies, so you would not need a 3D blu-ray player. If you want to buy/rent 3D movie disks, then yes, you'd need the player.

sdc100


quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
lifesabeach wrote:IN order to watch 3d movies do you have to have both a 3d blue ray player and a 3d tv?



Yes, sort of. Generally speaking, you'd need a 3D TV. 3D movies are encoded with 2 images per video frame. One image is meant for the right eye and the other is for the left. The TV rapidly alternates the Left and Right images on screen, synchronizing them with the included glasses. When the Left image is shown on screen, the Right lens of the glasses turn opaque, blocking your right eye from seeing the screen. When it switches over to the Right image, the opposite happens. All this flashing occurs so rapidly that your eyes can't detect the alternating images, and instead combines the two images into a single 3D image. And only a 3D TV would have the speed and glasses necessary to accomplish this.

HOWEVER...
You can buy something like the $34 3D Video Wizard which will allow you to watch 3D movies on an ordinary TV (as long as it has HDMI inputs). Instead of using lens with LCD shutters, the Wizard uses colored glasses. But unlike those annoying Red/Cyan glasses which changes a movie's colors, this uses Cyan/Amber which has much less of an effect on color. I find the device surprisingly effective, and almost unintrusive once you get used to it. Amazon reviews are generally good.

BTW, you can use the 3D Video Wizard with any 3D source, i.e. Blu-Ray player, cable (the Olympics had 3D footage ... Amazing opening/closing ceremonies), or video files. I can email some incredible 3D video shorts to anyone interested. They were made to demonstrate 3D technology so the depth is incredible.

shanebaker


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shanebaker
derekggreene wrote:Actually, some cable companies provide 3D content, such as channels and pay-per-view (on Demand) movies, so you would not need a 3D blu-ray player. If you want to buy/rent 3D movie disks, then yes, you'd need the player.




Thank you for the clarification on that. I didn't realize that they were sending 3d in that method!

100+ Woots and countin'!

corekneelius


quality posts: 0 Private Messages corekneelius
lifesabeach wrote:Thank you all I understand that I must have a 3d tv to play 3d movies. My question is if I have a 3d tv is it neccessary to also purchase a 3d blue ray player in order to view in 3D
?



Yes, You must have a 3d tv, 3d glasses with signal emitter, and a 3d source unit (such as this 3d blu ray player). Most people agree you must also have a HDMI 1.4 cable, Some say HDMI 1.3 is OK. I use 1.4 just cause.

kmashaney


quality posts: 4 Private Messages kmashaney
GreenAccord wrote:Ever get the feeling that woot has this cabal of product buyers who line up various wares for the upcoming wootoffs...

Then, as each item comes up in the queue, the associated buyer who lined up the item anxiously watches as the sales specs start rolling in...

And there they sit, on 475 re furb 3D blu-ray players, watching as they sell at the blistering rate of one every 47 seconds. They quickly do the math on the sales rate...

"Ugh, 6 hours to sell out?"

As they sit at their cubicle, they receive a call from an office extension they recognize. 'Dangit, that's the Marketing Manager'

'Debbie, whats up with these Samsubg Blu-rays?'

'I don't know, Mr. Samuels. They're 3D!. I could've swore these sold at top-10% rates when we had them on in the summer.'

'Yeah, I'm looking at the specs. That was a non-3D Samsung, and it was under the $30 price point.'

(awkward silence)

'Well, looks like we'll have to minimize this one and kill it at 25 units. Would that keep this one under an hour?'

'I think so.'

'Deb, see me on Monday.'

'But I was supposed to have Monday off. OK, I'll be in.'



Booooooooo
get off the stageeee

stevenburna


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenburna

I got a new smart 3D Samsung TV for Christmas, hopefully the 3D player works well, don't need the rest of the options.

derekggreene


quality posts: 1 Private Messages derekggreene
shanebaker wrote:Thank you for the clarification on that. I didn't realize that they were sending 3d in that method!



NP. Also, some Xbox360/PlayStation 3 games are in 3D, so if you are into that, then just the TV (and game consoles) would be fine.

cobraman61


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobraman61
GreenAccord wrote:Ever get the feeling that woot has this cabal of product buyers who line up various wares for the upcoming wootoffs...

Then, as each item comes up in the queue, the associated buyer who lined up the item anxiously watches as the sales specs start rolling in...

And there they sit, on 475 re furb 3D blu-ray players, watching as they sell at the blistering rate of one every 47 seconds. They quickly do the math on the sales rate...

"Ugh, 6 hours to sell out?"

As they sit at their cubicle, they receive a call from an office extension they recognize. 'Dangit, that's the Marketing Manager'

'Debbie, whats up with these Samsubg Blu-rays?'

'I don't know, Mr. Samuels. They're 3D!. I could've swore these sold at top-10% rates when we had them on in the summer.'

'Yeah, I'm looking at the specs. That was a non-3D Samsung, and it was under the $30 price point.'

(awkward silence)

'Well, looks like we'll have to minimize this one and kill it at 25 units. Would that keep this one under an hour?'

'I think so.'

'Deb, see me on Monday.'

'But I was supposed to have Monday off. OK, I'll be in.'



Very good,well said,love the post!!!LOL

thaape


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thaape

I was actually thinking of getting this until I saw the reviews, not only amazon, but on the costco site as well. (It gets 4-stars on Samsung's site!)

I couldn't care less about the browser/apps/netflix, but the freezing up? Thats a deal breaker.

cleverett


quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett
corekneelius wrote:Yes, You must have a 3d tv, 3d glasses with signal emitter, and a 3d source unit (such as this 3d blu ray player). Most people agree you must also have a HDMI 1.4 cable, Some say HDMI 1.3 is OK. I use 1.4 just cause.



You must also have a working 3D vision system...in other words, two fairly functional eyes. I knew a guy that once complained that he'd been to a 3D movie and didn't see what all the fuss was about...it looked just like any normal 2D movie. Later I found out that he was legally blind in one eye.

sdc100


quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
lifesabeach wrote:Thank you all I understand that I must have a 3d tv to play 3d movies. My question is if I have a 3d tv is it neccessary to also purchase a 3d blue ray player in order to view in 3D
?



You can use any 3D video source. For most people, that would be 3D Blu-Rays. But some TV broadcasts are also in 3D. For example, part of the London Olympics (most notably the opening and closing ceremonies) were in 3D. Generally, speaking, 3D broadcasts are reserved for special sport events, i.e. the FIFA World Cup, although some cable providers also have 3D movies.

You can also play video files that were encoded in 3D, as long as you have a media player. Since I don't have a 3D Blu-Ray player, all my 3D contents are in AVI, MP4 or MKV videos.

Finally, you can also view 3D photos on your 3D TV. Some cameras now take 3D photos. My Olympus SZ-20 ($79 after rebate!) has a 3D mode that only use a single lens. It accomplishes this by combining two photos taken slightly apart. Other cameras like one by Fuji uses two lens to represent the right and left eyes.