bugzappers2112

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bugzappers2112
nuketank wrote:I don't own this tablet, but based on a little reading, I would call this, as you receive it, a "Decent" tablet. To make it a "Good" tablet will require some hacking to put on Android 3.0+ and Google Play/Market, and remove the VIA interface.
... Sorely tempting as a late Christmas present to self, but I still have that Dell Streak I got all that time ago, and it can't compare with the tablet it'd intend to replace (An Acer Iconia Tab A500)

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THE STREAK. The charging port fiber insert material is brittle and it will break at some point rendering your streak useless.

You can Woot! if you want to, you can leave Amazon behind, because if you don't buy the Woot! from the real Woot!, then you're, no friend of mine. Say we can Woot!, we can Woot!, they're doing it from home to home.

burlyskink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burlyskink
djsabor wrote:Any chance in h e double hockey sticks of running Linux on here?

I don't see why not, considering this has the specs of many phones that can run linux:
http://linuxonandroid.org/

However, no one has done it on this tablet before not to say it isn't possible

bugzappers2112

http://www.woot.com/offers/samsung-galaxy-s-5-wi-fi-android-tablet

You can Woot! if you want to, you can leave Amazon behind, because if you don't buy the Woot! from the real Woot!, then you're, no friend of mine. Say we can Woot!, we can Woot!, they're doing it from home to home.

udavidj

quality posts: 4 Private Messages udavidj
dauc wrote: I read the posts here to actually laugh or get info about the product.

Not everyone has been in on this wootoff since the beginning and running on two hours of tampon holder sleep and uncooked food while F5-ing like crazy waiting for a bee oh cee sighting.

Personally, I think (the outdated pics and the related commentary) are amusing, like drinking PBR or listening to Sinatra on 11 with the windows open...

Love,
UdavidJ

tbis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbis
stryper2000 wrote:I think this tablet has a 4.0 update from what i hear

Vizio's site is saying 3.2.1 Honeycomb is the current OS. Worth picking up at this price?

nuketank

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nuketank
djsabor wrote:Any chance in h e double hockey sticks of running Linux on here?

A fair chance, if you can find a way of throwing the thing into flashloader mode.
A quick Googling reveals that it's Rootable, and from there you should be able to find a way to reflash it.

Notable Woots:
1 Samsung Modus Bluetooth Headset Kit, 2 MuzxDNA Earphones (one lost, one destroyed) superceded by 2 MEElectronics M16 Earphones, 2 Phantom S107's, 1 Art101 124-piece art set, iGo rechargable battery set, way more Fuji batteries than I immediately know what to do with, 1 Dell Streak 7" Tablet
1 Big Old Chevy dated 3/22/2011, #4 of the night (!).
1 Bundle of Caravans dated 4/25/2011

nuketank

bugzappers2112 wrote:BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THE STREAK. The charging port fiber insert material is brittle and it will break at some point rendering your streak useless.

Thanks for the warning.
This is nothing new for Dell ... my Dell PDA suffered the same fate (charging port epic fail).

Notable Woots:
1 Samsung Modus Bluetooth Headset Kit, 2 MuzxDNA Earphones (one lost, one destroyed) superceded by 2 MEElectronics M16 Earphones, 2 Phantom S107's, 1 Art101 124-piece art set, iGo rechargable battery set, way more Fuji batteries than I immediately know what to do with, 1 Dell Streak 7" Tablet

quizamo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quizamo

Any chance of the big Shun Ken Onion knife set making an appearance in this Woot-Off? *crossing fingers*

nuketank

tbis wrote:Vizio's site is saying 3.2.1 Honeycomb is the current OS. Worth picking up at this price?

If it does Google Play, I'd say yes.
Be aware, the writeup suggests that it does not come with Play installed by stock. Do a little more research. They don't seem to be selling too quickly.

Notable Woots:

bugzappers2112

nuketank wrote:Thanks for the warning.
This is nothing new for Dell ... my Dell PDA suffered the same fate (charging port epic fail).

Dell stopped making them because of it. They won't honor a warranty, either. Claims user abuse.

bugzappers2112

I'm gonna boil water and pour it on the floor. These fleas are insane.

dicksondkd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dicksondkd

This thing does have a Honeycomb update available, and it's not bad, though it gets a little sluggish if you're trying to play games on it. If you're trying to root it or otherwise mod it, though, BE CAREFUL. The most recent OS update for the thing is very difficult, if not impossible, to crack, so make sure you don't do the automatic updates if you plan on trying to mod it. Thankfully it's plenty useable for my purposes without rooting it, but it's something to be aware of.

Costar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Costar

Will this work as a`GPS? I want a cheap tablet, was thinking Kindle Fire, but if this will replace my broken GPS too, that would be great. I am a cheapskate and have a cell phone that won't do maps unless I pay extra.

oxygen5050

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oxygen5050

I bought it on a previous woot and it does come with the Google Market. It also does a good job playing just about every video i have thrown at it. You also can't go wrong considering you are getting a touch screen universal remote as well. One of those alone would cost you 99 bucks.

burlyskink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burlyskink
Costar wrote:Will this work as a`GPS? I want a cheap tablet, was thinking Kindle Fire, but if this will replace my broken GPS too, that would be great. I am a cheapskate and have a cell phone that won't do maps unless I pay extra.

It depends, if you want to use the native "Navigation" app from Google then it isn't useful as that would require you to have a wifi connection in your vehicle.

If however, you download a 3rd party navigation app that allows you to store maps on the sd card it would be possible to use this as a reliable gps system

luanneegirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luanneegirl

Got one for my daughter for Xmas and it has a very nice screen. She says it is kind of glitchy and freezes up sometimes but not bad. For the price it's a good deal (even at the $119 I paid) and it has a kindle app so you can use it as a reader.

Wootelicious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wootelicious

I wooted one of these last year. It came with Android 2.3 but automatically updated to 3.2.1 which it's running now.

dicksondkd

Costar wrote:Will this work as a`GPS? I want a cheap tablet, was thinking Kindle Fire, but if this will replace my broken GPS too, that would be great. I am a cheapskate and have a cell phone that won't do maps unless I pay extra.

This does do maps, and it has GPS. I have yet to try pre-loading a route on mine and seeing if it can navigate me, but the lack of 3g or other data connectivity outside of wi-fi makes it iffy if it needs to download any new data on the way.

enzofur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enzofur

Decided to go ahead and get one. I recently decided I wanted something mainly for reading, so figured this should do just fine. Also, its about $30+ cheaper then any refurb anywhere else.

jamieinoc

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jamieinoc
enzofur wrote:Decided to go ahead and get one. I recently decided I wanted something mainly for reading, so figured this should do just fine. Also, its about $30+ cheaper then any refurb anywhere else.

With the upgrade 3.2.1 you'll be able to consume more media than you could possibly want.

enzofur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enzofur
jamieinoc wrote:With the upgrade 3.2.1 you'll be able to consume more media than you could possibly want.

Eh hopefully not too much to be distracting. Already going to have to somewhat force myself to read. lol. As long as it posses the capability to play music and for me to read a book at the same time, I should be good.

mehenderson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mehenderson
bugzappers2112 wrote:It should be $79 now. If it were $69. I'd pull the trigger.

That's what she said

joncarey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joncarey

We bought one of these last year and it works fine for what it is. The problem we have is with the charger and with VIZIO. The charger got to where it would not work unless you were standing on one hand pointing north in a pool of water. We finally got approval from Vizio to send it back after submitting a bunch of pictures. Vizio sent us a replacement before we sent the defective unit to save shipping costs. Then we get a nasty email from Vizio showing a tablet with a shattered screen claiming it was our unit and they were charging us full replacement costs despite having sent them pictures of our perfectly intact unit sans a good charger port. Don't know if it was their screw-up or them purposefully screwing us. Thanks VIZIO!

phoquenut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phoquenut

limit of one? I have two kids, and can't decide which one deserves this picture of cats more. guess I'll pass.

lumpyplumpo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lumpyplumpo

Well at least this is better then a "T-Box" holder buy three

muol

quality posts: 1 Private Messages muol

Weren't these also used for the Ten Commandments?

nuketank

bugzappers2112 wrote:Dell stopped making them because of it. They won't honor a warranty, either. Claims user abuse.

I figured it was poo sales due to lacklustre screen and medeocre battery life (the Streak). Speaking of, I need to plug mine in.

Notable Woots:

timg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timg
stryper2000 wrote:I think this tablet has a 4.0 update from what i hear

This will update to 3.2 (honeycomb) when you connect to the net, but there's no upgrade to 4.0 unless you root it and install it yourself.

CrystalSinger

quality posts: 7 Private Messages CrystalSinger
ptravers99 wrote:I *loved* Tim Conway. /bump

"Loved"? He is still with us ... And last time I saw him on TV he is still funny.

T

markriddle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages markriddle
ptravers99 wrote:I *loved* Tim Conway. /bump

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwch

lumpyplumpo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lumpyplumpo

YES!!!!SOLD OUT

xxhaimbondxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxhaimbondxx
candy canesondkd wrote:This does do maps, and it has GPS. I have yet to try pre-loading a route on mine and seeing if it can navigate me, but the lack of 3g or other data connectivity outside of wi-fi makes it iffy if it needs to download any new data on the way.

How does this have GPS? There is no mention of anything in the description, and GPS is a big one to just miss. If it doesn't have a GPS chip, would this somehow work with external GPS via USB port?

dicksondkd

xxhaimbondxx wrote:How does this have GPS? There is no mention of anything in the description, and GPS is a big one to just miss. If it doesn't have a GPS chip, would this somehow work with external GPS via USB port?

I assure you, it has a GPS chip, regardless of what it says in the features. I just haven't tried it with maps, but mine has quite adequately determined my location on a featureless field when I had no map data.

xxhaimbondxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxhaimbondxx
candy canesondkd wrote:I assure you, it has a GPS chip, regardless of what it says in the features. I just haven't tried it with maps, but mine has quite adequately determined my location on a featureless field when I had no map data.

You mean there was no WiFi connection and it have found you?

dicksondkd

xxhaimbondxx wrote:You mean there was no WiFi connection and it have found you?

Yes. I was out in the middle of nowhere, but it still picked up my lattitude, longitude, movement, etc. It didn't have any road data to make that useful, but that's beside the point: This thing definitely has a GPS chip.

cmacclel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cmacclel

I bought one and my wife purchased one of these. I must say I'm disappointed. They both arrived today and one of them has scratches on the screen and the other the LED's barely illuminate on the bottom part of the black bezel which have the home and back button. When you rotate it to landscape mode the buttons are brightly lit. This seems to be a known issue as the OTA update completely does away with these "bezel buttons". I usually buy refurbs all the time and have a hard time finding anything wrong. Vizio made it easy!

A scratched screen REALLY Vizio????

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

cmacclel wrote:I bought one and my wife purchased one of these. I must say I'm disappointed. They both arrived today and one of them has scratches on the screen and the other the LED's barely illuminate on the bottom part of the black bezel which have the home and back button. When you rotate it to landscape mode the buttons are brightly lit. This seems to be a known issue as the OTA update completely does away with these "bezel buttons". I usually buy refurbs all the time and have a hard time finding anything wrong. Vizio made it easy!

A scratched screen REALLY Vizio????

ugh. sorry to hear that. if you haven't already, get in touch with Vizio & tell them you received a damaged item. and if you run into any difficulty with Vizio, please email Support@Woot.com so we can assist.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

pyrotech76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pyrotech76

Mine came in today and it has three VERY deep scratches right through the middle of the screen. At first I thought, "Oh it's just on the shipping protector." I peeled the protective film back halfway and Wooooooh poop! This just won't do at all.

I've had good luck with refurb stuff in the past. So I need to contact Vizio?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pyrotech76 wrote:Mine came in today and it has three VERY deep scratches right through the middle of the screen. At first I thought, "Oh it's just on the shipping protector." I peeled the protective film back halfway and Wooooooh poop! This just won't do at all.

I've had good luck with refurb stuff in the past. So I need to contact Vizio?

Ugh, that's not good. Why don't you start with our customer service and see what they say. Email support@woot.com. Please include your woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

fam220

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fam220

Got mine a few days ago. Can anyone tell me why my SD card will not be recognized by this thing???

So far looks like a 100 dollar chopping board or coaster.