4%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Shun Classic 3-Piece Set
$199.99 + $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

tfreeman451

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tfreeman451

Sharp deal!

slappomatt

quality posts: 6 Private Messages slappomatt

Damn you woot for putting up more shuns! I have ALWAYS wanted some of these so when I had a little extra Xmas money I jumped at your last deal of the 8" chef's knife w 6" utility knife. Then I went on Ebay and bought 2 more to give me a small set. Now you have to put up 3 more knives that I don't have at a price I couldnt pass up!

And then to make it worse you charge tax in CA now.... coal!

readymade

quality posts: 19 Private Messages readymade

If you like cutting everything like its butter and spending lots of money for the privilege, well, here's some more Woot sponsored Shuns for you to work with.

I got something better than luck.

stewage

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stewage

Got this exact set from the wife for x-mas. LOVE them! As a bonus I happen to live about 15 minutes away from their oregon headquarters, so I get free sharpenings and I don't have to pay shipping, and it's done while I wait.

WOOT ROX!

readymade

quality posts: 19 Private Messages readymade
stewage wrote:Got this exact set from the wife for x-mas. LOVE them! As a bonus I happen to live about 15 minutes away from their oregon headquarters, so I get free sharpenings and I don't have to pay shipping, and it's done while I wait.

There must not be a a poorly trimmed roast for miles of you ;)

I got something better than luck.

sepielli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sepielli

Geez Woot, you could at least wait a week before posting a better deal on knives.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

kitchenknifeforums has several threads about Shun knives including this one that talks about the classic pairing knife, VG10 steel and sharpening.

saucyalien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saucyalien

Why don't you allow overnight or two-day shipping for these orders for out of country billing addresses? My mom fell in love with my set over christmas and was hoping to get this delivered before she goes home out of country. Can we make an exception in shipping? She is using her out of country card shipping to a US address.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

saucyalien wrote:Why don't you allow overnight or two-day shipping for these orders for out of country billing addresses? My mom fell in love with my set over christmas and was hoping to get this delivered before she goes home out of country. Can we make an exception in shipping? She is using her out of country card shipping to a US address.

So the billing address is out of country but the shipping address is in the US? Were you getting a red box that said it wasn't available? It could be our auto check with the FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) warehouse to see if they can ship in time to meet the expedited shipping promise. If they can't, it declines the sale for expedited shipping. Sometimes you can try later in the day (after about 11am Central) and it will work because that shipping deadline has passed and it's 24hrs until the next deadline.

(And no, there's no way we can override it.)

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bscott81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bscott81

Great deal. I would purchase this without question if I had not just received a Wusthof Classic 11-piece block knife set as a gift.

modo353

quality posts: 0 Private Messages modo353

No matter how much dough you have, you need your headcheese examined if you pay 2 bills for 3 knives. P.S. I was a pro chef for 40 years.

Brazensage

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Brazensage
modo353 wrote:No matter how much dough you have, you need your headcheese examined if you pay 2 bills for 3 knives. P.S. I was a pro chef for 40 years.

If you don't mind me asking, what is a good price then to pay for a good knife? Any knives to suggest?

wharper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wharper

Three knives, with a suggested retail of $500+... made in China, where the average wage for a skilled factory worker is $200 a month, if that?

Ummm, what's wrong with this picture?

[MOD: Reading the description? Crafted in Seki City Japan...]

Shadow12

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shadow12
wharper wrote:Three knives, with a suggested retail of $500+... made in China, where the average wage for a skilled factory worker is $200 a month, if that?

Ummm, what's wrong with this picture?

Not made in China... description says... "Crafted in Seki City Japan"

Shadow12

Got this set the last time it came up... Have a Ken Onion santoku, and admit I like it better than this one, even though this one has the hollow ground blade. I really wanted the utility knife, and I like this one... but, the one surprise was the paring knife. I used it for the first time yesterday and wow! It's sharp, and it was almost like the parting of the Red Sea... the knife commanded and the veggies complied. Impressive.

I'm sure anyone even debating on these knives is careful, but PAY ATTENTION PLEASE, these knives are WICKED SHARP.

Shadow12

modo353 wrote:No matter how much dough you have, you need your headcheese examined if you pay 2 bills for 3 knives. P.S. I was a pro chef for 40 years.

I'm sure you are right, really.

I live in the boonies & I need to drive a car. A Chevy or Honda will get me to my destination just fine. I don't *need* a Mercedes or a Lamborghini or a Bentley which would also all fulfill the purpose of getting me from point A to point B. Sometimes, however, it might be fun, right?

So, I don't need this knife, but darn it... sometimes it's just fun - heck of a lot cheaper & easier to maintain than a splashy car. Like a lot of cool toys, it may not be everyone's cup of tea... Just my $199.99, YMMV.

And eww... headcheese? Not in my fridge! ;-)

Cheers.

breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink

I think you got the right set in my opinion.

While the Wusthof's are heavier and less stealthy, I'd still pick them over the Shun knives.

They're easier to hone and sharpen yourself, and they're a little more forgiving to accidental drops. I've seen many Shun knives without their tips from being dropped.

Don't get me wrong. If I were given some Shun knives, I'd be overjoyed, but I wouldn't be taking them to work, and in my own haphazard way of thinking, I think that also means I'd prefer the same knives I use at work at home as well.

Apples to apples though. It's what you prefer.
Great knives at a really compelling price.

bscott81 wrote:Great deal. I would purchase this without question if I had not just received a Wusthof Classic 11-piece block knife set as a gift.

kennyminot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kennyminot

Completely agreed. I could see someone doing this for a living considering getting some fancy knives, but the standard home cook doesn't need anything beyond the basic equipment. It kind of reminds me of the people who buy a bunch of fancy running gear just to go for a jog. If you're running 10-15 miles/week, you don't need a $150 pair of Brooks shoes, a $60 pair of compression pants, and $20 running socks. You just need two legs and a basic set of running shoes. Same thing here. I think people buy this stuff just so it looks pretty in their kitchen.

vorant1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vorant1

A knife by any other name cuts just as deeply.

[size=30]Vorant1[/size]

Quaddawg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Quaddawg

I find it hard to beleive that so called "pro-chefs" think this is a lot to pay for knives. Now, I have no idea if these particular knives are any good, but I do know that $200 for three knives is pretty cheap.. and yes, a good knife is worth a LOT in the Kitchen...

I mean, a good Chef's knife can cost $200-500 all by itself... I guess it's like the difference between Craftsman and Snap-On, you don't notice till you try both.... and Snap-On, as well as say a... Konosuke are the tops and well worth it if you have to use them every hour of every working day.

pennstjeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennstjeff
kennyminot wrote:Completely agreed. I could see someone doing this for a living considering getting some fancy knives, but the standard home cook doesn't need anything beyond the basic equipment. It kind of reminds me of the people who buy a bunch of fancy running gear just to go for a jog. If you're running 10-15 miles/week, you don't need a $150 pair of Brooks shoes, a $60 pair of compression pants, and $20 running socks. You just need two legs and a basic set of running shoes. Same thing here. I think people buy this stuff just so it looks pretty in their kitchen.

Terrible analogy. Some people can't run a mile without pain unless they buy the right pair of running shoes which could very likely cost upwards of $100-$150. I'll give you the pants.

zerotm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zerotm

Saw this, and went 'Wow, what a great deal for $19.99' .. then my brain caught up to my enjoyment and smacked me in the face.

witexan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages witexan

I have all Victorinox knives with fibrox handles - terrific knives at amazing prices from Amazon. Also, they're top-rated by Cooks Illustrated.

one100grand

quality posts: 2 Private Messages one100grand

Anyone who thinks these knives aren't worth it apparently hasn't spent time cutting things. I am very obsessed about having sharp knives in the kitchen and these stay sharper longer than others at the same or less money.

My knife "set" is a mix of things from different manufacturers and I'll tell you that I'm generally much more pleased with Japanese steel (which is sharpened at a steeper angle) than German steel. I do like Wusthof cutlery for some of their products, such as a cleaver, but for precise work, the Shun are very hard to beat for the price. I'd also recommend reading a book or two about Japanese knives before praising or bashing them (FYI, these are Japanese steel, but the pairing & utility knife are not Japanese style knives).

P.S. The "Utility" knife was originally launched as the Sandwich Knife (the blade may still say that on it) and is definitely my personal favorite of any knife that I own.

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

Picked this set up just before Christmas 2012. Actually was a very late 2011 Christmas gift. Got a Wusthof set last year for about the same price, but was NOT nearly as well made as these. Granted, they were the run-of-the-mill department store block set with about 7 or 8 knives. But, plastic handles, very thin blades, and had 3 or 4 knives I'd probably never use. Returned them last year waiting for a better set, and a year later picked these up.

Bottom line, the Shuns are much better quality for 3 knives that have already gotten some use. So, if this set works for you, it may very well be worth the "per knife" additional cost.

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

This set does NOT come with a block or blade guards. I'd recommend something like this to keep them safe (and you get the added benefit of showing off the sexy Damascus cladding!):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chicago-Cutlery-Magnetic-Strip/13423175

efiore

quality posts: 1 Private Messages efiore

Have a 6" Shun and love it. Recommend this for anyone who is in need of good, sharp knives. And MAJOR BONUS POINTS to woot for referencing "Bullfinch's Mythology" in the write-up. Bravo!

mikem53

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikem53

Whoop-de-doo... that doesn't mean these aren't the perfect knifes in someone else's hand.. many appreciate the craftsmanship and being able to use some of the finer things in life to create their culinary delights.
These knives are well crafted and worth the extra cost to those who enjoy having an "edge" over others in the kitchen..

logicape

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicape
vorant1 wrote:A knife by any other name cuts just as deeply.

Not if it can't hold a decent edge...

kwkilcoyne

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwkilcoyne
witexan wrote:I have all Victorinox knives with fibrox handles - terrific knives at amazing prices from Amazon. Also, they're top-rated by Cooks Illustrated.

I have the Victorinox santuko as well. Nice knife. But the Shun has such great balance and feel.. Sure you could get ten of the Vics for the same money. But to me the experience was worth it.

fishhead202

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishhead202

I'm surprised that chef's with any experience would think this is a lot for knives. If you don't like the Asian style blade, fine. You think the damascus look is cheesey, fine. However a good knife will go a very long way in the kitchen, and there aren't many at a lower price point that many would recommend.

For any new to Shun, they have a different angle to the edge, so you don't want to sharpen them yourself unless it's a specific sharpener. Handwash only!

need4mospd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages need4mospd
kennyminot wrote:but the standard home cook doesn't need anything beyond the basic equipment.

The standard home photographer doesn't need anything beyond their cell phone camera.

The standard amateur cyclist doesn't need anything more than a Walmart special.

The standard amateur golfer doesn't need anything more than a $20 set of clubs from a garage sale, some plain tennis shoes, and a $5 bucket of range balls.

Why is it that so many people spend thousands of dollars on those things then?

david223

quality posts: 2 Private Messages david223
bscott81 wrote:Great deal. I would purchase this without question if I had not just received a Wusthof Classic 11-piece block knife set as a gift.

Don't be disappointed, Wusthof classic are superb knives. I have them and love them.

omoomo

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omoomo
fishhead202 wrote:I'm surprised that chef's with any experience would think this is a lot for knives. If you don't like the Asian style blade, fine. You think the damascus look is cheesey, fine. However a good knife will go a very long way in the kitchen, and there aren't many at a lower price point that many would recommend.

For any new to Shun, they have a different angle to the edge, so you don't want to sharpen them yourself unless it's a specific sharpener. Handwash only!

I don't work in kitchens anymore, but in my first career after culinary school I did and most "pro chefs" I know and have worked with wouldn't use Shun knives for 2 reasons.

1. They don't take abuse very well...as mentioned above, you have to take care of them as the tips break off, etc. and in a pro kitchen, this is virtually impossible to do, and

2. They are a PITA to hone and sharpen, which in a pro kitchen is a non-starter.

The dirty little secret that the high-end knife OEMs don't want you to know is that 80% of those high end knives are sold to home cooks, not pro chefs.

Most chefs and PCs that I've worked with use Global, Victorinox/Forschner, Mercer, Mundial, etc. Reasonably priced, easy to hone and sharpen, take abuse very well and if lost or stolen, no big deal, you just buy another one.

omoomo

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omoomo

BTW, that not to say that most pro chefs don't appreciate the quality of Shun, lazer-etched knives, dama-steel, etc...it's just a preference based on practically in a production-based kitchen.

I know a couple of "pseudo-celebrity" chefs who do cooking exhibitions and they usually travel with tricked out knives like Shun (if they don't have endorsement deals with an OEM), but they aren't using those knives in their restaurant, it's not practical

mirrorz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mirrorz

In my kitchen I just use the only tool you need: A machete. $15 and it cuts through limbs(all kinds), branches, pork, beef, poultry, aircraft grade aluminum, cans of cranberry "sauce", old tires, zombies, and you can edge your yard with it when you are done.

You can't even float Sheetrock with these shun knives. Do yourself a solid and buy a machete instead.

I saw a turtle.

Ottobot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ottobot

I'm thinking about getting these as a gift and am interested in seeing how these are packaged. Are they all in one box or are they three separate boxes as if they were sold individually?

Thank you.

NewYork

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NewYork
omoomo wrote:
1. They don't take abuse very well...as mentioned above, you have to take care of them as the tips break off, etc. and in a pro kitchen, this is virtually impossible to do, and

2. They are a PITA to hone and sharpen, which in a pro kitchen is a non-starter.

True enough ... but that's a bit like saying cab drivers never use Lamborghinis and Maseratis on the job. I'd bet that a pro chef would gladly use these at home, where proper care can be taken. The one downside that makes me hesitate is the sharpening problem - you really can't sharpen these at home: the steel is unusually hard, and hollow-ground and serrated blades are flat-out impossible. (Attending to my German blades by hand is part of the whole "good knives" experience, as far as I'm concerned.) If that's not an issue, then so long as you're prepared for the time and cost involved in shipping them off for a tune-up every couple of years, I think this is a very good price for some first-class knives.

New York NY