sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin
Shadow12 wrote:
I'm sure anyone even debating on these knives is careful, but PAY ATTENTION PLEASE, these knives are WICKED SHARP.

Troof.

The girlfriend spent a small fortune this year buying what looks to be at least one of every knife that Shun makes (with several duplicates...).

Anyway, while doing the dishes after dinner one night, I reached for one of the Shuns to clean it and the back of my finger barely grazed the blade of one of the other Shuns. It didn't really hurt at all so I didn't think anything of it. Once the dishwater suds started turning red, it dawned on me that maybe I did get cut. Sure enough...

Thankfully, the blade was so sharp, it made a very clean cut which healed over nicely. But yes, exercise EXTREME caution when using and cleaning these knives. They were made to cut stuff, and they do that job AMAZINGLY well. The one problem is that you, my friend, are made of stuff, too! Be careful!

tmedvick

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tmedvick

I never fretted about what knife I was using when I was working in a kitchen. Because someone would be replacing them in a week or two with a freshly sharpened set and carting off the current set.

At home, I like something that holds an edge and looks good. Cooking for a living and cooking at home are two different markets.

quantum00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quantum00

This knife set is MEASURABLY supreme.

That is, the default 16-degree angle makes it both a special and superb knife set (in fact, it's the only reason it's great-- unless you're into prestige).

However, this 16-degree angle of awesome is also the reason I keep avoiding it: I have to both hone and sharpen at that angle. If you don't... you killed the only reason to buy Shun!

Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm going for the regular non-Shun angle. Wusthof or Calaphon Katana (just to feel like a ninja) or something.

john91c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages john91c

Shun offers free sharpening (you have to pay shipping both ways)! They stopped this program but brought it back because the customers wanted it back!

quizamo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quizamo

I'm still waiting for the Shun KOS0700 Ken Onion 7-Piece Block Set to make an appearance again. I ain't too proud to beg.

nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy

I do not understand why a quality set of Chicago Cutlery....A good knife sharpener.....And a convenient "honing" applicance like this IKEA little diddy is not all that is required.....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/57145296/

I do not see the need to pay $100 a knife....That is just over the top.....

My opinion.....

sjwilcox83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjwilcox83
witexan wrote:I have all Victorinox knives with fibrox handles - terrific knives at amazing prices from Amazon. Also, they're top-rated by Cooks Illustrated.

My husband is a pro Chef and he is in LOVE with Victorinox. And it makes me happy, if he wanted to spend $200 on 3 knives I think I'd die! The culinary industry sure doesn't pay that well!

logicape

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicape

Why is there any back-and-forth about the increased price of a frequently-used, high quality tool? $100 on something used nearly every day makes more sense than say $200 (or more) on shoes worn once (or less).

artmauck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artmauck

Uh - where's the hole to - uh, you know, stick my gazillicker in?

Cuz for $200, it better be removing some chrome off my trailer hitch.

saucyalien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saucyalien
ThunderThighs wrote:So the billing address is out of country but the shipping address is in the US? Were you getting a red box that said it wasn't available? It could be our auto check with the FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) warehouse to see if they can ship in time to meet the expedited shipping promise. If they can't, it declines the sale for expedited shipping. Sometimes you can try later in the day (after about 11am Central) and it will work because that shipping deadline has passed and it's 24hrs until the next deadline.

(And no, there's no way we can override it.)

Thank you for your response. For some reason when I tried to order it last night it threw up the error saying you don't do overnight or 2-day shipping and then took me to the confirmation page saying the order went through but on regular shipping. Is there any way this can be stopped? I have been trying to contact your customer service via email and they haven't been very responsive. Just to bad so sad. I didn't click the order button for standard shipping. Only 2-day shipping.

saucyalien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saucyalien
Ottobot wrote:I'm thinking about getting these as a gift and am interested in seeing how these are packaged. Are they all in one box or are they three separate boxes as if they were sold individually?

Thank you.

They come in one box and each knife is individually wrapped in a cardboard protector and bubble wrap.

lhamilt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lhamilt
fishhead202 wrote:I'm surprised that chef's with any experience would think this is a lot for knives. If you don't like the Asian style blade, fine. You think the damascus look is cheesey, fine. However a good knife will go a very long way in the kitchen, and there aren't many at a lower price point that many would recommend.

For any new to Shun, they have a different angle to the edge, so you don't want to sharpen them yourself unless it's a specific sharpener. Handwash only!

Personally, I'm just surprised they even use knives at McDonalds!

squirrrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squirrrl

which of the three knives would be best used for a bris?

Shadow12

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shadow12
squirrrl wrote:which of the three knives would be best used for a bris?

Not a mohel, don't even play one on tv.... but, imo, the best in this set is the paring knife. Bad joke... Q: How is a mohel paid? A: He gets to keep the tips....

For those who are wondering...
http://joi.org/qa/bris.shtml

toddfast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toddfast

FYI, Shun knives are sharpened at a different angle than German knives and are difficult to sharpen by hand (which they make up for by being harder and keeping their edge longer).

The Shun manufacturer (KAI) offers free sharpening. Here is the form:

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/pdfs/Warranty_Service_Form_Shun.pdf

hehthuryo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages hehthuryo

Personally, I would never buy wickedly sharp knives. They are just too dangerous for me to use because I'm clumsy and injury prone. My grandma had a set of these that she brought out for Thanksgiving and I stayed away from them. It makes it too easy to cut a finger off.

modo353

quality posts: 0 Private Messages modo353

For price, quality, & durabilty, in my opinion Forschner knives are an excellent value. I used them for years in a well known resort hotel and still use them at home all the time. Would not buy anything else.

tomh922

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tomh922

I love to buy tools of this quality. But if my wife needed something to open a can of paint and one of these knives happened to be the first thing she grabbed, she'd use it to open the can of paint. I'll have to pass. Sigh

egomaniacal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egomaniacal

For those of you actually considering purchase, and not simply here to post inflammatory nonsense and troll people about what is a reasonable price to pay for a knife, order them and dont look back. Shun makes a great knife. The sharpening "issue" is not an issue at all for anyone that knows how to use a stone- if inexperienced, then by all means send them in to be sharpened professionally. I use my 7" santoku daily and all it requires is a quick run on a steel now and again to maintain a razer sharp edge. I only put mine to a stone about twice a year. If you aren't maintaining an edge and need to sharpen more than this, you are probably doing so at an incorrect angle. You wont regret this purchase.

egomaniacal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egomaniacal
tomh922 wrote:I love to buy tools of this quality. But if my wife needed something to open a can of paint and one of these knives happened to be the first thing she grabbed, she'd use it to open the can of paint. I'll have to pass. Sigh

I feel ya! My wife took a few years of "training" on which knifes (and tools in general) she was allowed to use. She gets the "Analon special" for her paint can opener...

njkatz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages njkatz
mirrorz wrote:In my kitchen I just use the only tool you need: A machete. $15 and it cuts through limbs(all kinds), branches, pork, beef, poultry, aircraft grade aluminum, cans of cranberry "sauce", old tires, zombies, and you can edge your yard with it when you are done.
You can't even float Sheetrock with these shun knives. Do yourself a solid and buy a machete instead.

I can also tell you from experience that the Shun knives are NOT good for fighting off Zombies.

Nick

johmart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johmart
hehthuryo wrote:Personally, I would never buy wickedly sharp knives. They are just too dangerous for me to use because I'm clumsy and injury prone. My grandma had a set of these that she brought out for Thanksgiving and I stayed away from them. It makes it too easy to cut a finger off.

It is far easier to injure yourself with a dull blade due to a lack of control.

kriste

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kriste

There sure seems to be a lot of chefs among you woot geeks.

kanakis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kanakis

That is some very useful information! Thank you!

raycz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raycz

$200? They are not even ceramic!

JuanHuaXu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JuanHuaXu

Heh... I built my own set with
1) shun dm0712
2) shun dm0767
just missing a paring (dm0753) now.
The guys at shun are pretty sneaky, they never sell those in sets :<

But my set practically eliminates all the issues mister pro chef has with shun knives.

ncsuche08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ncsuche08
mirrorz wrote:In my kitchen I just use the only tool you need: A machete. $15 and it cuts through limbs(all kinds), branches, pork, beef, poultry, aircraft grade aluminum, cans of cranberry "sauce", old tires, zombies, and you can edge your yard with it when you are done.

You can't even float Sheetrock with these shun knives. Do yourself a solid and buy a machete instead.

Nominated.

onthedl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onthedl

I bought the other 3 piece set that was offered a couple weeks ago and it's been a pleasure working with them. That particular set didn't sell out either, so I might hold out and wait for them to come up for sale again if you're on the fence about these. It had the 10" chef's knife, slicer, and nakiri, which has surprisingly been one of the best knives I've ever used. Either way, I don't know how it's possible to be disappointed with the quality and performance of Shun's knives.

roccochiv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages roccochiv

These came in already super sharp!

I am going to give them to someone as a gift any idea what to use to store them in?

The knives do not come with any storage box and came in cardboard protectors (bubbled wrapped in a brown shipping box) that's it!

$200 for 3 knives and 10 cents in cardboard! lol..

I don't want to give them to someone in a piece of cardboard how they were shipped in...

what would someone store these knives in their kitchen in?

you can easily get cut so you can't just keep them in the drawer with random target or bed bath and beyond knives...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

roccochiv wrote:
what would someone store these knives in their kitchen in?

Maybe add a knife guard? Then you can put it in a shirt box or something for wrapping.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

roccochiv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages roccochiv
ThunderThighs wrote:Maybe add a knife guard? Then you can put it in a shirt box or something for wrapping.

Cool they actually look nice Ty never heard of those.. Makes it nice to store them in drawer with other cooking stuff then too..
Like $5 amazon