burmeses

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burmeses

I had three HP computers die in a 6 week stretch. One desktop was a refurb from Woot (the motherboard died), the other two were laptops purchased new right from HP and both got failed video/graph cards. They all were within 2 months of the warrantee expiring. I would never buy another HP again. Went back to Dell

carverd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carverd
pmccolley wrote:We have bought two refurb laptops from woot. A Toshiba and a HP DV7 that looks like this one. Both have had nothing but issues. As soon as we received the HP it was about 2 days before the screen would black out. So off it went to HP under the 90 day warranty. About 5 weeks later after a new keyboard, battery, memory and motherboard according to the paperwork we get the unit back on day 90. Day 91 and the same problem happens again. After much searching the HP DV7 appear to run hot and overheat the video card and crash. Once the thing cools down it will boot again. The toshiba is a whole different story. After those two refurbs I will not buy another. I would consider if it was new.

Mostly the entire DV series had issues with overheating, or some other type of motherboard flaw. Working in the field that I do, that was one of the most common problems I saw with newer laptops (that and Rogue Security Infections). It's typically caused from cheap capacitors that were used on the motherboards from that series, resulting in erratic power fluctuations and build-up, ultimately overheating, or sometimes destroying the machine if not remedied (Resulting in the unresponsive black screen on boot). There was a "hot-fix" which was basically just discharging the motherboard, and it would work until the build-up occurred again. All in all, Hp provides good hardware specs at a good price, but they cut corners just like any other company. with the DV series, it was motherboard quality. The new models (G series and up) have an improved motherboard, and use solid cap capacitors on the primary nodes, and K cap on the secondary (no X cap! YAY!) from what I've seen. My personal beef with the new models, is the cheap plastic casing, which doesn't feel very rigid or durable at all. The screen bezel and casing provides practically no support. That being said, If you don't plan to travel with it and bang it up, and actually use it as a desktop replacement, this could make for a very fast, affordable media laptop for home use.

carverd

jazzdrum wrote:unless it's maxed at 8 gb ram, does anyone know this?

16GB max

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq-memory/Pavilion+m7+Series/Pavilion+m7-1015dx-upgrades.html

phishyfish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phishyfish
rajuorbhikhu wrote:it is funny that this comes up, woot CS stood me up over the holidays by not responding to my last question regarding a 17" laptop. my fiance really likes these Pinkie Piely huge screen laptops....since woot never responded, they sold out of the toshiba i was going to buy. this looks like a nice setup for a "normal user", but price seems kinda high for it being refurbished....i would like to know the price of a new to compare.

p.s. TT, could you please throw a stapler at someone in CS and ask them to please reply to case # CAS-121741-F8X3R1...thanks!

I was going to buy that Toshiba as well. I did receive a response from Woot CS but it was not helpful at all. Glad I scored this HP instead. Its a better deal, and Toshibas run hotter than a firecracker.

Cheers!

I'm not a technology expert... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite.

hoylerj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoylerj

If you want this for gaming, look elsewhere. Most current titles would have to be played on low settings due to the so-so integrated graphics card.

Mass Effect 3, Halo 4, Skyrim, etc. would all have to be played on low settings with only ok performance.

If you want this computer for browsing the internet and running office programs then this would fit the bill (albeit you can find a cheaper / lesser alternative for doing those things).

EAVchad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EAVchad

No comment about the deal itself, but the woot commentary. Mt. Whitney is highest point in the continental US. Us geographically inclined folks cringe when inaccuracies are spread. Just sayin. ;)

carverd

hoylerj wrote:If you want this for gaming, look elsewhere. Most current titles would have to be played on low settings due to the so-so integrated graphics card.

Mass Effect 3, Halo 4, Skyrim, etc. would all have to be played on low settings with only ok performance.

If you want this computer for browsing the internet and running office programs then this would fit the bill (albeit you can find a cheaper / lesser alternative for doing those things).

While you are correct about performance pushing games like the ones you listed, there are plenty of games that this thing could still shred. the HD4000 could stomp WoW's face, granted that's not saying much anymore. There are some titles coming out that won't require a super rig to run (Path of Exile, and Grim Dawn for instance.) Also, don't give people the wrong idea saying that all it's good for is word processing and browsing. This could make an awesome media editing (photo/video) machine, or a really nice DJ hub with the i7 and Beats audio.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
nutmeg3 wrote:I had a problem with a computer not being able to be upgraded to Window 8 Pro. Dell would void my warranty, If I moved up to Window 8.

Info about upgrading to Window 8 from HP. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03451712&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5273910

I have never heard of a company voiding a warranty because of an OS. The worst case situation is that you downgrade back to the previous OS, software doesn't void warranty.

Windows offers the upgrade tool to analyze the system for compatibility with drivers, etc. I've not had any problems with modern computers making the upgrade to 8.

hoylerj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoylerj
carverd wrote:While you are correct about performance pushing games like the ones you listed, there are plenty of games that this thing could still shred. the HD4000 could stomp WoW's face, granted that's not saying much anymore. There are some titles coming out that won't require a super rig to run (Path of Exile, and Grim Dawn for instance.) Also, don't give people the wrong idea saying that all it's good for is word processing and browsing. This could make an awesome media editing (photo/video) machine, or a really nice DJ hub with the i7 and Beats audio.

I wasn't thinking word as much as I was thinking excel and access. Given excel now allows upwards of a million rows and well access is a database, you'd be able to handle quite a bit with these specs.

As for the games you mentioned, yes it could play those sure. My comment is clearly directed at a different crowd than your's.

If you're going to play League of Legends with max settings do not expect to get 60 fps consistently. If you plan on playing the new Sim City coming out, do not plan on using high settings.

As for video editing and music... it comes down to the user. High end things (video wise) won't run amazingly. Even if you max out the RAM to 16 gbs and dedicate more towards your graphics card... it won't give you great performance. Good? Sure but not great.

bonesandjones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonesandjones

I think its a good deal. I just bought one similar to this from Costco for $999. For the everyday user, the only difference is that I got a 2 gb graphics card and a blu-ray writer and slightly more ram. Most people don't need blu-ray burners now and don't need more Ram than the 8 gb here. I've learned the hard way that even though "normal users" don't think they need graphics cards, (and truly they don't NEED it) it always helps.

For example, I got my older laptop two years ago and got a basic model with no bells and whistles for $400. I don't game or do any heavy graphics stuff (at least I didn't then, now I do tons of photo and video editing, but i digress). I noticed that just looking at a bunch of pictures that I loaded from my camera, there would be some lag time while the computer loaded the image. It would be blurry for a second or so while it got all the info to display the picture. Since I've gotten into photography, I am always scrolling through my pictures and trying to find even the minor differences and the lag time kills me (hence the new computer I got this week) The graphics card makes a world of a difference with my photos.

carverd

hoylerj wrote:I wasn't thinking word as much as I was thinking excel and access. Given excel now allows upwards of a million rows and well access is a database, you'd be able to handle quite a bit with these specs.

As for the games you mentioned, yes it could play those sure. My comment is clearly directed at a different crowd than your's.

If you're going to play League of Legends with max settings do not expect to get 60 fps consistently. If you plan on playing the new Sim City coming out, do not plan on using high settings.

As for video editing and music... it comes down to the user. High end things (video wise) won't run amazingly. Even if you max out the RAM to 16 gbs and dedicate more towards your graphics card... it won't give you great performance. Good? Sure but not great.

Correct, and I wasn't trying to bash you. You're previous comment seemed a little misguiding and lacking specificity from the wording of the latter part. I was only attempting to shed some light on the possibilities of the hardware that it comes with. By no means is this a gaming rig, but most laptops aren't. Most people won't be buying this as a gaming rig replacement, but as a convenient work tool and/or media center, which is what the hardware promotes.

Sorry if I offended, not intended :P (see what I did there?)

dlking4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlking4

Does anyone know how this laptop's hardware works under Linux? Hassle? No hassle? That's the question.

impelicanfly

quality posts: 3 Private Messages impelicanfly
bonesandjones wrote:I think its a good deal. I just bought one similar to this from Costco for $999. For the everyday user, the only difference is that I got a 2 gb graphics card and a blu-ray writer and slightly more ram. Most people don't need blu-ray burners now and don't need more Ram than the 8 gb here. I've learned the hard way that even though "normal users" don't think they need graphics cards, (and truly they don't NEED it) it always helps.

For example, I got my older laptop two years ago and got a basic model with no bells and whistles for $400. I don't game or do any heavy graphics stuff (at least I didn't then, now I do tons of photo and video editing, but i digress). I noticed that just looking at a bunch of pictures that I loaded from my camera, there would be some lag time while the computer loaded the image. It would be blurry for a second or so while it got all the info to display the picture. Since I've gotten into photography, I am always scrolling through my pictures and trying to find even the minor differences and the lag time kills me (hence the new computer I got this week) The graphics card makes a world of a difference with my photos.

Make sure to put an SSD as a bootdrive in there to get the ultimate performance.

katodog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katodog

I own this laptop, and it's an excellent system. I bought mine from BB, it was $850 new back in September. You do need a drive tray and cable if you plan to add a second hard drive...

Drive Tray/Cable

I upped the memory to 16 Gig, added a second 1TB hard drive, and all said and done I spent less than $1200. It's a great system but I have been seeing a lot of these as refurbs so I'd do some research before buying just in case. Must be some issues or there wouldn't be so many refurbs.

However, I love mine, it's a killer system and I haven't had a single issue with it...yet.

carverd

dlking4 wrote:Does anyone know how this laptop's hardware works under Linux? Hassle? No hassle? That's the question.

What version of Linux were you thinking? Ubuntu 12.10 supports quad-core processing, and is optimized for intel chipsets. It should work just fine.

nutmeg3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nutmeg3
theguruguys wrote:I have never heard of a company voiding a warranty because of an OS. The worst case situation is that you downgrade back to the previous OS, software doesn't void warranty.

Windows offers the upgrade tool to analyze the system for compatibility with drivers, etc. I've not had any problems with modern computers making the upgrade to 8.

Yes. To Me it is called a void.

katodog

dlking4 wrote:Does anyone know how this laptop's hardware works under Linux? Hassle? No hassle? That's the question.

I installed Linux to see if I'd like it, had a heck of a time. Googling around I found that I had to change a Bios setting or two, can't recall what they were. But, once I figured that out Linux installed and worked.

So yes, there's a mild hassle, but it does work.

guppeeh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages guppeeh

I'm with you on this. My DV7T with i7-720M was new for $750 after cashback (Miss you Bing). Granted that was a few years back but damn it is still beating new $400 laptops in over experience. And it had 1080...you don't see that anymore.

Anyone know a good place to pick up a 2nd HD caddy for the DV7T besides Fleabay? Thx.

Tsaiireii wrote:Kind of pricey for a refurbished model, even with these specs. With rebates and all that, my slightly older HP with basically the same specs was around the same price ($50-100 more) when I first bought it new.

The build is ... questionable overall (almost identical to the one I have). The front will definitely seem solid but weak parts of the side plastic are easily broken off. My headphone jack and surrounding area also got wrecked by my adapter (which my puny phone has no problem with).

Also, no indication of switchable graphics? Pretty sure all of HP's i7 laptops have that option.

airspoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages airspoon

This is an incredible deal! I usually only buy mac laptops, but this is such a good deal that I would probably buy it if I hadn't just bought a macbook.

AlanZak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlanZak

I've been leery of recent HP laptops since a few years back when they had all sorts of power problems; laptops shutting down randomly, failing power jacks, bad power supplies, etc.

jath222

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jath222

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5261332&sku=T78-156401

same computer essentially with a better brand, its 15.6 rather than 17 inches, and its new, not refurbed. buy this way before you buy the hp.

katodog

guppeeh wrote:Anyone know a good place to pick up a 2nd HD caddy for the DV7T besides Fleabay? Thx.

I posted this already, but here you go...

Drive Tray/Cable

I think after shipping it was around $42 or so and it comes with the tray and cable.

fratcedars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fratcedars

A buddy of mine bought the same unit a couple of months ago and paid almosts $900.00 for it. Getting it for 600 dollars is a very good deal. I have bought several refurbs in the past and haven't had any problems. Going to Best Buy or Tiger Direct, this deal compares favorably with anything they have. The video card isn't top of the line, but will work just fine for anything other than high end gaming.

julilu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julilu
topshelf11 wrote:FYI- Mt. Rainier is the 5th highest peak in the continental U.S. Mt. Whitney in CA is #1.

That is correct, and the next 3 are in Colorado, followed by the lovely Mt. Ranier.

guppeeh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages guppeeh

Thanks! I missed it. $42 is almost the price of the HD so it makes sense to go to that auction place.

katodog wrote:I posted this already, but here you go...

Drive Tray/Cable

I think after shipping it was around $42 or so and it comes with the tray and cable.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy
jath222 wrote:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5261332&sku=T78-156401

same computer essentially with a better brand, its 15.6 rather than 17 inches, and its new, not refurbed. buy this way before you buy the hp.

Essentially the same except the HP can use up to 16 GB RAM and two 1 TB hard disk drives.

I am an IT professional and work at various client sites with different environments and I often need to run virtual machines with full scale database engines on my laptop.

When running VMs with database engines, the 16 GB and additional 1 TB disk makes a big difference.

While I am personally quite disappointed with the overall quality of HP computers, having owned such in the past, for the money, this is tough to pass up. The Intel I-7 quad core CPU alone is more than half the price of this laptop.

jkipfmueller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkipfmueller

Question: Does the HP SuperMulti DVD+-RW burner play Blu-Ray disks? How about burning Blu-Ray disks? Thank you!

carverd

jkipfmueller wrote:Question: Does the HP SuperMulti DVD+-RW burner play Blu-Ray disks? How about burning Blu-Ray disks? Thank you!

It does not, unfortunately.

jath222

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jath222
yeahbuddy wrote:Essentially the same except the HP can use up to 16 GB RAM and two 1 TB hard disk drives.

I am an IT professional and work at various client sites with different environments and I often need to run virtual machines with full scale database engines on my laptop.

When running VMs with database engines, the 16 GB and additional 1 TB disk makes a big difference.

While I am personally quite disappointed with the overall quality of HP computers, having owned such in the past, for the money, this is tough to pass up. The Intel I-7 quad core CPU alone is more than half the price of this laptop.

I understand your need for expansion, and thats quite fair, but considering that 99% of users dont need anywhere near 16 gig of ram, and the deal i posted still has the i7, I think that people here should know about it and possibly consider buying it over this massive portable desktop HP-made system.

RichardCarver

quality posts: 4 Private Messages RichardCarver

That's a lot of computer for the money. I've been buying 17" refurbs from Woot for couple of years and would certainly consider this one but the Acer 17 I got a over a year ago has been the best laptop I've had in years and I'm struggling with letting it go.

TT, gimme another hun off and I'm in!

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

My least favorite comment on Woot "I'd buy this in a heartbeat if" ...sure you would!
Not an HP fan but this looks like a very good deal to me.

missles9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages missles9
hoylerj wrote:If you want this for gaming, look elsewhere. Most current titles would have to be played on low settings due to the so-so integrated graphics card.

This is exactly what I was wondering. I'm in the market for a laptop to do gaming when away from my desktop. Good to know this isn't the one.

trpt4him

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trpt4him

Does this come with a discount or free upgrade to WindOH GREAT? Not that I'd upgrade, but still.

eq5150

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eq5150

Re: Will it play on Skyrim?

This PC meets the minimum system requirements for Elder Scrolls: Skyrim listed on the manufacturer’s website. However, this PC does not meet the recommended video requirements, so you may not be able to run this game on its highest graphics settings.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
jath222 wrote:same computer essentially with a better brand, its 15.6 rather than 17 inches, and its new, not refurbed. buy this way before you buy the hp.

That Toshiba doesn't look like a bad laptop, but it also doesn't really look "essentially the same" at all. First, it has a crappy 1366x768 screen, which sucks. It also appears to be more plastic versus brushed aluminum, so more comparable to the cheaper HP G-series. Then you notice the smaller hard drive, having to put up with a stupid mail-in rebate (which I hate), no backlit keyboard, no fingerprint reader (if you happen to care about that), etc.

Overall, it's a different system, targeted at different users, at a different price.

What brand is "better" is also debatable. You hear horror stories about all brands, and since HP was still the largest maker of PCs in the world last I checked, you'll likely hear proportionally more complaints about them, due in large part to that huge volume, and that they especially sell a lot of the inexpensive low-end models.

This M-series appears to be basically upper mid-range. Not nearly as expensive/high-end as the EliteBook or Envy models, but also not the low end either.

Just about every company makes a full range of products from plasticy junk to premium build quality, and the cheapest models necessarily have to cut corners. The only way Apple avoids that is by only making the expensive models, but a lot of consumers want to save money and avoid paying for more features/specs/build quality than they need, so there's a market for both.

I do like the full warranty on new systems, but I've also had pretty good luck with factory refurbs overall, so ymmv. My MIL has the refurbished dv7 series from a previous Woot last year and no problems so far, while my brother in law had a new Dell that basically fell apart. I don't consider that to be a sign that all Dells are junk though. His was just a low-end plasticy model, and for the most part you get about what you pay for. A refurb is a way to get a little more than you pay for, with the biggest trade-off usually being a shorter warranty.

kirdape

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirdape
showcaller wrote:I could have sworn that everyone who knows about this web site already owns a laptop that doesn't need replacing- Darn, apparently I am so wrong!

Yes, we all have different circumstances. I will be retiring soon and losing my company laptop (Dell D620), and it is a good opportunity to pick up one of my own.

k87

quality posts: 3 Private Messages k87
dhillinmkewi wrote:No blue ray. No full HD. No way, not even at $600.

at least it is not 1366x768. Yeah, 1600x900 probably still sucks at 17 inches though.

susie-s

quality posts: 5 Private Messages susie-s

In for it... this old dell desktop of mine is slowing dying, this looks like a good interim computer.
Now, how do I add the ST warranty to it?

Category Five
*edited: broken link/img*

Otterpop80

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Otterpop80

Does anyone know if this has bluetooth, or if bluetooth can be added? I don't see anything about it in the specs, and HP's website isn't exactly helpful.

drizzo4shizzo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages drizzo4shizzo

How is HP reliability lately?

My wife bought an expensive HP dv7000 series and it only lasted a few years before there was a problem internally with bad solder joints, and heat. somewhere in the NVidia (7600 Go) bridge chip I think.

So now it's a paperweight.

I see this one does not have "discrete" graphics so perhaps that is a plus. Anyone care to comment on how long this might last? We really baby our electronics.

I kind of swore off HP after that, but this is tempting on specs alone.