2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Pyrex 18-Piece Storage Set
$19.99 + $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

jguevarra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jguevarra

What are the sizes for each of the containers?

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

The Today Show just did a good piece about Pyrex breakage (or lack there of, relative to the millions of Pyrex users). Note that Pyrex claims the formula is the same as it's always been.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

FINALLY! Do you know how many times I've tried to buy this set? I even tried to settle for the 12pc set, but couldn't catch that one either! But now, NOW it's MINE! Muahahaha!

sinsemilla

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sinsemilla

I love Pyrex containers. I have bought this same set multiple times before, and I bought another 3 this time around as well.

strikerliker

quality posts: 7 Private Messages strikerliker

Bought two sets a couple of months ago. Very pleased.

Reclaimer456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reclaimer456

The 12-piece set seems to sell out in hours whenever it shows up on a side deal in home! woot which, in theory, speaks highly of these containers.

sysop073

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sysop073

3 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 18? Do the lids count as separate "pieces" or am I missing something?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Change Barry to Rory.

/DrWho

;)

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick
sysop073 wrote:3 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 18? Do the lids count as separate "pieces" or am I missing something?

9 glass bowls + 9 lids = 18
(according to marketing)

jamieinoc

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jamieinoc

Pyrex containers are literally the best out there. My family owns a TON of Pyrex stuff, and it really does lasts forever. It's great for storing anything and makes for an easy reheat too, because it's glass. I definitely recommend Pyrex products.

pwdrskir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pwdrskir
miken927 wrote:The Today Show just did a good piece about Pyrex breakage (or lack there of, relative to the millions of Pyrex users). Note that Pyrex claims the formula is the same as it's always been.

Make sure it is "Borosilicate glass". Corning sold the Pyrex brand to World Kitchen in 1998 and they started marketing Pyrex as pre-stressed soda-lime glass.

This from Popular Science:
"Pyrex, which originally was always borosilicate glass, solved this problem by adding boron to the silica (quartz), the main ingredient in all glass. Boron changes the atomic structure of glass so it stays roughly the same size regardless of its temperature. Little thermal expansion means little stress. Thus borosilicate glass withstands heat not because it’s stronger, but because it doesn’t need to be stronger."

"When World Kitchen took over the Pyrex brand, it started making more products out of pre-stressed soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate. With pre-stressed, or tempered, glass, the surface is under compression from forces inside the glass. It is stronger than borosilicate glass, but when it’s heated, it still expands as much as ordinary glass does. It doesn’t shatter immediately, because the expansion first acts only to release some of the built-in stress. But only up to a point."

pinballace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pinballace
jguevarra wrote:What are the sizes for each of the containers?

18-Piece Set includes:

3 - 2 Cup Round Storage Containers with Lids
2 - 7 Cup Round Storage Containers with Lids
2 - 4 Cup Round Storage Containers with Lids
2 - 1 Cup Round Storage Containers with Lids

galaxiekat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages galaxiekat

i got this set during the 'blue christmas' side-woot, only the lids weren't blue. customer service sent out another one (with "blue" clearly printed on the packing slip), and they wasn't blue either. i'm sure this only matters to me, but will this set be blue?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

galaxiekat wrote:i got this set during the 'blue christmas' side-woot, only the lids weren't blue. customer service sent out another one (with "blue" clearly printed on the packing slip), and they wasn't blue either. i'm sure this only matters to me, but will this set be blue?

Well, they're supposed to be. What color were the lids?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

Pyrex 19-Piece Easy Grab Bake Set

This set is for sale on Moofi if you're interested.

http://moofi.woot.com/offers/pyrex-easy-grab-19-piece-bake-set-2

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Holysin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Holysin

If this is something you want, but don't NEED. Amazon sells these now and again for $16 with free shipping / prime new, and even more rarely you'll see the 14 and 18 piece sets via Warehouse Deals for < $10 (I paid $7.05 for a 14 piece round set at the end of last november)

At the moment amazon won't sell these ("Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)..." so I can't tell you the current price.

That said, these are pretty awesome, we have lots of leftovers, and 1 18 piece,1 14 piece, and 1 10 piece do our little family of 3 quite nicely. Just treat them carefully and you'll be quite happy.

mikem709

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikem709
pwdrskir wrote:Make sure it is "Borosilicate glass". Corning sold the Pyrex brand to World Kitchen in 1998 and they started marketing Pyrex as pre-stressed soda-lime glass.

This from Popular Science:
"Pyrex, which originally was always borosilicate glass, solved this problem by adding boron to the silica (quartz), the main ingredient in all glass. Boron changes the atomic structure of glass so it stays roughly the same size regardless of its temperature. Little thermal expansion means little stress. Thus borosilicate glass withstands heat not because it’s stronger, but because it doesn’t need to be stronger."

"When World Kitchen took over the Pyrex brand, it started making more products out of pre-stressed soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate. With pre-stressed, or tempered, glass, the surface is under compression from forces inside the glass. It is stronger than borosilicate glass, but when it’s heated, it still expands as much as ordinary glass does. It doesn’t shatter immediately, because the expansion first acts only to release some of the built-in stress. But only up to a point."

World Kitchen refuted that, http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=30 and claim that since the 1940's, all Pyrex cookware has been made with soda-lime glass, and the borosilicate was used from the founding of Corning in 1915 until the 1940's.

Also, Stats.org also found soda-lime to be relatively safer for everyday use since let's face it, more people will drop one of these than they will place it on a surface they aren't supposed to and cause thermal shock. http://stats.org/stories/2009/exploding_pyrex_oct14_09.html

jpr3q

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpr3q
sysop073 wrote:3 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 18? Do the lids count as separate "pieces" or am I missing something?

Yeah...that caught me off guard as well. Unfortunately, you are right. The lids count. Better order two sets!

Gwagg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gwagg

I wonder if the higher rate of of incidents is because many more people have granite countertops. Seems from the video granite may cool the dish down faster or people are dropping hot dishes right onto the granite.

jaynelwells

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaynelwells

Anyone else notice that the photo doesn't match the spec's?

Jayne L. Wells
Highland Lakes, NJ

ThunderThighs

Staff

jaynelwells wrote:Anyone else notice that the photo doesn't match the spec's?

How so? Looks fine to me.

Two large 7-cups with a 2-cup on top.
One 4 cup next to it with 2 2-cups on top.
One 4 cup with pretzels spilling out
Two 1-cup stacked on their own.

Nine pieces, nine lids.

nadh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nadh

Is the set somewhat stackable/nestable to save cabinet storage space?

ceagee

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ceagee
thumperchick wrote:FINALLY! Do you know how many times I've tried to buy this set? I even tried to settle for the 12pc set, but couldn't catch that one either! But now, NOW it's MINE! Muahahaha!

Wooo Wooo Woot !! Me too ! Me too !
(Finally) .
When I got my Woot daily email I zipped over here as fast as the microchips would take me.

No more plastic. Live healthy. Store yummy leftovers. Freeze them, nuke them, eat them. Planning what to make and store in them first.

Who knew pyrex could be so exciting ?

and I had a free ship coupon !! Life is good. Woot is good.

Happy to see you made it here too TC : )
ETA just saw your heads up to me on the homewoot pyrex thread ! Thank you !!! That was very nice of you.

norriscr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norriscr

Beware. I have these and half of the lids are now cracked. They don't hold up.

rwrjr1961

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwrjr1961
norriscr wrote:Beware. I have these and half of the lids are now cracked. They don't hold up.

Do you send your lids through the dishwasher or wash by hand?

hammese

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hammese

I got a set of these and love them. The lids have held up, maybe because I wash them by hand. Also, they take up relatively little space, especially if you stack them the way they packed them in the shipping box (larger bowl with smaller lid inside and on bottom then coordinating bowl, etc).

c4warhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages c4warhead

Beware! These are not borosilicate Pyrex from days past and are created from cheaper glass. They will detonate explosively into many tiny fragments if exposed to extreme temperature variations.

korhalx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages korhalx

I bought this set from Woot a few months ago. 3 of the bowls came shattered in the box when i received them. Pyrex needs to do a better job at packing glass because we all know packages like this get tossed around like beach balls in transit.

sugarprime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sugarprime

Do not buy this Pyrex storage set!! I purchased one for my self and 2 as gifts. Two of the bowls chipped immediately. I took them out of the box and HAND washed them.

The two I gave as gifts are having the same problems.

I have Pyrex that is 20+ years old and have no chips. I don't handle them any more carefully than any other dishes I have.

If you do by these be EXTRA careful with them. They do chip very, very easily.

57ryk3r

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 57ryk3r

Yes they do count as separate. :/

57ryk3r

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 57ryk3r

Great buy! I use mine constantly. I have even dropped the large bowl 4 ish feet onto concrete... it wasn't even scratched.

jrsliwinski

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrsliwinski

I bought this same set off of a Woot Off a few months ago. Be sure to inspect them thoroughly because the package handlers were rough with mine and some were chipped. I reported it to Woot and they were very helpful and issued a refund.

Despite that, in for one more set...

to2crazy4u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages to2crazy4u
norriscr wrote:Beware. I have these and half of the lids are now cracked. They don't hold up.

Yes. And even though I behave and don't put them in the dishwasher, not all of them fit. I like these containers, but am more frustrated with the ones that don't work properly.

mdstone06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdstone06

Beware the same thing with tool sets that have a screwdriver with interchangeable tips. They'll count each tip as a piece. So your 40-piece tool set really only has 10 tools and 30 screwdriver tips.

tyerian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tyerian

Got 2 sets on another WooT.

Awesome. Microwave lunch and GO!

Just be sure to NOT keep the lid on tight. (It will pOp off and scare you and/or your cat)

Erik the Pie Man

steakndani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steakndani

Score! I just threw out the last of our plastic storage containers that developed cracks (food bacteria) in them. Looking forward to Pyrex!

marquis1photo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marquis1photo

I have used these for years (the same set) and never had any problems. We use them in the freezer, oven, microwave, fridge.

I have dropped these many times from the counter top and they bounce and never had one break yet. My floor is not tile or stone though so YMMV.

Someone asked if they stack. Well in a way they do, but not like plastic. You can fit the same size bowl inside another and it will fit this is what we do. We can stack this set with 2 columns in our cabinets. Same with the rectangle set.

We have removed plastic for storage. this is just so much better.

Buckycubes and misc kids.woots.
I love woot-offs

gkmunch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gkmunch

I snagged these during the last Woot-Off. So far I am very pleased - they sure beat any plastic storage set I've owned. Put the lids on the top rack of the dishwasher and you'll be fine.

Also: The lids are color-coded by size, and not all blue. My set had red, orange, and green; despite the all-blue lids in the ad.