marquis1photo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages marquis1photo
c4warhead wrote:Beware! These are not borosilicate Pyrex from days past and are created from cheaper glass. They will detonate explosively into many tiny fragments if exposed to extreme temperature variations.

They have not been made with borosilicate for a while now. All mine are the new glass and they handle just fine in dishwasher or hand wash. Even been dropped from counter to floor with no issues.

Corning no longer manufactures or markets Pyrex-branded borosilicate glass kitchenware and bakeware in the US, but Pyrex borosilicate products are still manufactured under license by various companies. World Kitchen, LLC, which was spun off from Corning in 1998, licensed the Pyrex brand for their own line of kitchenware products—differentiated by their use of clear tempered soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate.

Buckycubes and misc kids.woots.
I love woot-offs

jaball77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jaball77

We've got this set at home and they're okay... They don't nest much, so you're going to be stacking them up for storage. They take up a good bit of space.

We put the lids in the dishwasher and haven't had any trouble with them cracking.

The thing that annoys me is that there's no lip or handle on the bowl, so unless you have two Ove Gloves on, you will burn your hands taking these out of the microwave.

At this price I think they're an okay deal. Not spectacular though.

Lasthitlarry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lasthitlarry

Did you guys know that glass breaks?

I'll bet more pyrex break because we have more people, therefore more pyrex.
More granite countertops (as someone stated above).
More ways to hear and report about these accidents (which usually involve someone not following instructions).

That being said, these are good for light cooking and storage; if you're going to do some serious cooking and high-heat methods, use normal oven ware...

mechanicalgoof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mechanicalgoof
marquis1photo wrote:

Someone asked if they stack. Well in a way they do, but not like plastic. You can fit the same size bowl inside another and it will fit this is what we do. We can stack this set with 2 columns in our cabinets. Same with the rectangle set.

I recently order a set of these, and in my experience, if you stack the same size bowl in another, they often get stuck and are difficult to separate. And worse, I picked one up the other day that had chipped on the top of the bowl, leaving glass shards around. Not happy at all about that although I love taking the small sizes to work for reheating leftovers in the microwave. Need to put some paper in between same sizes I suppose.

Mechanical Goof

ishkababble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ishkababble

I bought this set from Woot last time and it showed up at my door completely shattered.

miken927 wrote:The Today Show just did a good piece about Pyrex breakage (or lack there of, relative to the millions of Pyrex users). Note that Pyrex claims the formula is the same as it's always been.

al918

quality posts: 0 Private Messages al918
miken927 wrote:The Today Show just did a good piece about Pyrex breakage (or lack there of, relative to the millions of Pyrex users). Note that Pyrex claims the formula is the same as it's always been.

I'd like to see the sales figures by year in addition to the break figures. Maybe the breakage spike in 2009 also had a spike in sales, therefore the percent breakage remained the same possibly?

Lasthitlarry wrote:Did you guys know that glass breaks?

More ways to hear and report about these accidents (which usually involve someone not following instructions)...

Completely agree.

calicojack42

quality posts: 3 Private Messages calicojack42

I actually used one of my Pyrex bowls (bought on Woot, no less) to cook some cornbread in the oven, and it stood up just fine.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
ThunderThighs wrote:Well, they're supposed to be. What color were the lids?

A few years ago, I bought a bunch of individual Pyrex bowls all of the same size with blue lids (not from Woot, sorry). A short time later, I decided I needed a couple more. The new bowls appeared to be the same size as the old, but came with red lids. It wasn't until I got them home that I noticed the red lids wouldn't fit on the old bowls, and vice versa. Even comparing the two side by side, the size difference is so slight the only way I can find the right lid is to actually try them on the bowl. No big deal, I guess; they are still good bowls. Just annoying.

bcollins24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcollins24

careful, I bought these last time they were offered and every piece was broken in the box. Shards of glass everywhere when I opened the box.

goldendragoon84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages goldendragoon84

I've been using pyrex for 5+ years. They are better than plastic in every way (except weight). I also have several pyrex pans. I have never been disappointed.

mmohr0357

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmohr0357

I bought a similar set a while back from Woot and when they showed up they were chipped and cracked, probably from a rough UPS ride. Woot customer service did a great job handling the issue. Gonna snag these and the containers are top notch and crazy convenient.

tbw98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbw98

I hope Woot has learned how to pack these better - I bought a couple sets last time they were listed and they were just thrown into a larger box with no packing material... had a 'shards o glass' box when it arrived.

Woot did make it right by refunding my purchase, but just a warning...

sozuna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sozuna

I purchased this set before the holidays. I was so excited, but when they arrived the largest container was chipped around the edges. Very disappointed. Well at least I can use the rest. Didn't feel like returning everything. For the most part everything else was nice.

rvshaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvshaw

Could someone who owns this please provide the diameters of the larger containers? In particular, I'm trying to figure out whether the 4-cup ones will fit in my lunchbox (6.25" x 9").

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
sozuna wrote:I purchased this set before the holidays. I was so excited, but when they arrived the largest container was chipped around the edges. Very disappointed. Well at least I can use the rest. Didn't feel like returning everything. For the most part everything else was nice.

Did you contact support@woot.com? Chippy containers chip around the edges of our heart (plus not so safe), and I'm sure if there's something that can be done, support would be happy to help. They're just like that.

I'm just hanging out, really.

alansavoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alansavoy
Lasthitlarry wrote:Did you guys know that glass breaks?

More ways to hear and report about these accidents (which usually involve someone not following instructions).

That being said, these are good for light cooking and storage; if you're going to do some serious cooking and high-heat methods, use normal oven ware...

They don't just break, they detonate. I had one do that while I was holding it after heating something up. I didn't even get to set it down. They don't break like automotive glass, but into shards. I had shards stuck in my jeans and thrown 8' away. Luckily my clothes, oven mitts, and shoes stopped all the shards and hot liquid.

The manufacturer and the CPSC make it very difficult to report an incident. Can you prove that the dish was not bumped ahead of time, even in shipping?

They may be good for storage, but I wouldn't heat them at all, even in the microwave.

monica61788

quality posts: 1 Private Messages monica61788

I bought these last time and love them!The glass is thick and the covers fit tight for storage.

mechanicalgoof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mechanicalgoof
rvshaw wrote:Could someone who owns this please provide the diameters of the larger containers? In particular, I'm trying to figure out whether the 4-cup ones will fit in my lunchbox (6.25" x 9").

Yes, it would fit easily: 5.75" x 3" rough size for the mid-size, 4 cup bowls.

Mechanical Goof

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
Lasthitlarry wrote:

Great point; 15 or 20 years ago you'd have to go through all the trouble of tracking down an address or phone number for Pyrex or the CPSC, but now just about everyone has internet access, smart phones, etc., so it barely takes any effort to report an incident. Plus it was probably on Oprah or 20/20 or something which put the idea in people's heads. I had a pyrex bowl inexplicably crack years ago and it never accured to me to complain or report it; it's a glass bowl, those things happen!

I've got a few of these pieces that I bought open stock and use mostly for microwaving veggies or leftover chili, etc., but as someone mentioned, there's not really a lip so it can be a challenge to take the hot bowl out of the microwave, unlike the square ones that have handles. Otherwise, no problems!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

edmcguirk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages edmcguirk

I guess technically you can microwave with the lids on but I heated some soup to nearly boiling and then did not remove it from the microwave immediately. The cooling soup suctioned the lid closed and then permanently deformed the lid. The lid still works but it does not look good because it now has a permanent droop in the center and the lid no longer stacks neatly in storage.

A glass lid would be a better choice for preventing spatter inside your microwave.

Otherwise these are my favorite.

norriscr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norriscr
rwrjr1961 wrote:Do you send your lids through the dishwasher or wash by hand?

I wash by hand.

lmnski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmnski

I love that these are glass and so they don't leach chemicals when heating packed lunch food in the microwave like plastic containers do, however, the lids on these split after some time. I've seen lid replacements online, but for what you would pay for them + shipping, you might as well just buy another set of containers & lids.

euphio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages euphio

Bought two sets of these recently and we love them. Once set still in the basement unopened for later. Might just have to buy another as a gift. These things are WAY better than cheap, plastic ones.

sanchezaps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sanchezaps

Not such a great deal, but ok. Walmart has the 24 piece bake and store set for $19.97.

I can't say that I have used the pyrex with plastic lids as mine have glass, but they have held up for over 20 years.

I tossed all of my plastic storage so I am in for 1.

rvshaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvshaw
mechanicalgoof wrote:Yes, it would fit easily: 5.75" x 3" rough size for the mid-size, 4 cup bowls.

Thanks! Sounds just about right (not too small either, so won't slide around much as I maniacally slalom through my morning commute).

edmcguirk wrote:I guess technically you can microwave with the lids on but I heated some soup to nearly boiling and then did not remove it from the microwave immediately. The cooling soup suctioned the lid closed and then permanently deformed the lid. The lid still works but it does not look good because it now has a permanent droop in the center and the lid no longer stacks neatly in storage.

With square ones, I turn the lid 45 degrees when microwaving, which still catches most splatter but doesn't get the vacuum effect (I once watched an all-plastic container completely cave in upon itself like a crazy sci-fi movie effect while I tried to wrench the lid off; it was never the same again). Obviously that won't work quite the same here; the lid could be offset slightly, but might fall off.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

I have been trying to eat better the last few years, bought a Vita-Mix to make vegetable/broccoli shakes (no more wasteful juicing for me), and to add to this, I have decided to create healthful soups. Because I am lazy, I make a very large amount of soup at one time. These bowls are almost PERFECT for my needs. They are sturdy, MADE OF GLASS!, of various sizes (ALL BOWLS, NO WEIRD SHAPES!!!), microwave safe and have nice lids (can take some trial and error to use correctly). I make the soup, and then add to the bowls, and then freeze. Soup for weeks! The only con is the 2 cup bowl is just slightly too small, I would prefer a 2.5 cup or 3 cup bowl, but that is being picky.

I like them so much I have now purchased 3 of these items. I have been concerned because it seems Pyrex does not seem to package these very well and the store just puts them in a bigger box with loose air packets (not proper packaging). So I am afraid I will receive a box of glass in the mail. But so far, all have arrived in perfect condition.

I purchase all bowls in a 14 piece set, this set is larger at 18 piece.

marquis1photo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages marquis1photo

[quote postid="5302276" user="escalante"] The only con is the 2 cup bowl is just slightly too small, I would prefer a 2.5 cup or 3 cup bowl, but that is being picky.
[quote]

These are great for small snacks of candy or treats or even sauce. I love these tiny ones.

Buckycubes and misc kids.woots.
I love woot-offs

keeyoh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keeyoh

Did we clear up what color these lids are? I got a set just like this at an outlet store and it had color-coded lids based on size (red, orange, green, and blue). I saw someone else comment that they got a set awhile ago with blue lids. And then a different one with red. And the lids aren't interchangeable on the containers. I'd be a little irked if I got this blue-lidded set that has the same size containers as the ones I already own, but due to some weird anomaly the lids won't fit interchangeably.

inkycatz

keeyoh wrote:Did we clear up what color these lids are?

We're double checking for you!

resalter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages resalter

VERY tempting for the price (I would really like to move away from plastic storage containers and am planning to do so some time this year). But I think I'll wait for some made from borosilicate glass, especially if I'm taking them from the fridge to the microwave and then putting them back down on a cool counter-top. I'd rather pay more for better quality than end up with shards of glass impaling me while hot food/liquid gives me third degree burns. It may only be a minority of cases where this occurs, but I'd rather limit my chances.

FlightDreamz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FlightDreamz
korhalx wrote:I bought this set from Woot a few months ago. 3 of the bowls came shattered in the box when i received them. Pyrex needs to do a better job at packing glass because we all know packages like this get tossed around like beach balls in transit.

Yeah they don't travel well (work great once you get them though). Be familar with U.P.S. shipping and RETURN procedues as more than likely you'll receive some cracked (or smashed!) bowls.

goatherdered

quality posts: 2 Private Messages goatherdered
resalter wrote:VERY tempting for the price (I would really like to move away from plastic storage containers and am planning to do so some time this year). But I think I'll wait for some made from borosilicate glass, especially if I'm taking them from the fridge to the microwave and then putting them back down on a cool counter-top. I'd rather pay more for better quality than end up with shards of glass impaling me while hot food/liquid gives me third degree burns. It may only be a minority of cases where this occurs, but I'd rather limit my chances.

I doubt you will find many borosilicate containers like these. And you shouldn't have many problems with breaking with what you explained. I go from freezer/fridge to microwave to counter all the time with these. It's the 400° oven to cold unprotected counter/sink/water that will get you.

inkycatz

Update for those with lid concern: Lids should all be blue as shown.

woot140

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woot140

"Walmart has the 24 piece bake and store set for $19.97."

No they do not; it sold out and has been sold out for quite some time.

woot140

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woot140
sanchezaps wrote:Not such a great deal, but ok. Walmart has the 24 piece bake and store set for $19.97.

I can't say that I have used the pyrex with plastic lids as mine have glass, but they have held up for over 20 years.

I tossed all of my plastic storage so I am in for 1.

"Walmart has the 24 piece bake and store set for $19.97."

No they do not; it sold out and has been sold out for quite some time.

mrskimchi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrskimchi

I'm sure these are decent, but can we all stop pretending that it's ok for vendors to l count lids as part of the "pieces"?

ChristopherE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChristopherE

The lids do not stay on! Terrible. Made some soup, closed it with painters tape. Took the tape off, ate too much soup because I had no more tape.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

Why all the whining about lids being counted separately? It's not like it's Woot's doing. And it's not like it's anything new. Sellers have been doing this for as long as I can remember, and I'm probably older than you.

And don't get me started on taxes.

And BTW, Woot, one of my purchases from the last Woot-Off arrived today. The item I was most looking forward to (one of the bags of Texas Air) was damaged on arrival. Can I get a replacement?

meghano1989

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meghano1989

I love these! I take my lunch to work and these have made life so much easier. The 4 cup ones are perfect for salads and the 2 cup ones are perfect for soup. I don't need another whole set but I plan on buying more of those sizes. Almost all of my 2 cup bowls are in the freezer filled with homeade soup for sick days.

Edit: The only thing I don't like is that I can't find single pieces at stores with the blue lids, only an ugly bright orange!

wootforthestars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootforthestars

Well,my Woot buying cherry has finally been popped.I have been looking for a set like this for awhile,so I took the plunge and bought it.Sigh,no longer a virgin...